Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selling chickens...

My Sims have a chicken coop and the chickens are now 6 but with 2 roosters I get a nice crop of hatchable eggs. Now that I have my desired chicken population I have to do something with the chicks that are born after this, so I am going to sell them for ingredients and such but I was wondering, is it better value to sell the chicks or wait till they reach adulthood and then sell them? I mean do I get more ingredients and meat from adult bird or the babies? I see that I can sell them for money but the amount I get from chicks isn't that much more from the adults so I am more focusing on the meat and ingredients.

What has been your experiences?

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited March 2023
    If you sell them as adults you don’t have to worry about your chickens dying ( unless you have aging off for animals ), but you do have to build a relationship with new ones so you might not get as good quality of eggs….. but, I’m not sure about that. I haven’t actually had chicks yet as a few hens and a rooster so far are already a lot of work as I have a lot of veggies and fruit tree’s that need care too. I sell most of the eggs, and keep some for cooking.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2023
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    My Sims have a chicken coop and the chickens are now 6 but with 2 roosters I get a nice crop of hatchable eggs. Now that I have my desired chicken population I have to do something with the chicks that are born after this, so I am going to sell them for ingredients and such but I was wondering, is it better value to sell the chicks or wait till they reach adulthood and then sell them? I mean do I get more ingredients and meat from adult bird or the babies? I see that I can sell them for money but the amount I get from chicks isn't that much more from the adults so I am more focusing on the meat and ingredients.

I usually have only one rooster per coop and trade the rest for meat or treats once grown (it's more realistic to trade for meat once grown). Keep the hens and have them laying/breeding as long as possible. When hens get the notification that they are going to die soon, I trade them in for meat (produce for Vegetarians) or treats. When the rooster ages to elder keep one of the next male chicks to age up to adult and replace him once he is sent to slaughter.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Stina1701A wrote: »

I usually have only one rooster per coop and trade the rest for meat or treats once grown (it's more realistic to trade for meat once grown). Keep the hens and have them laying/breeding as long as possible. When hens get the notification that they are going to die soon, I trade them in for meat (produce for Vegetarians) or treats. When the rooster ages to elder keep one of the next male chicks to age up to adult and replace him once he is sent to slaughter.

Do you know how long it takes a chick to grow up? And, about how long chickens and roosters live with animal aging on?
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    If you sell them as adults you don’t have to worry about your chickens dying ( unless you have aging off for animals ), but you do have to build a relationship with new ones so you might not get as good quality of eggs….. but, I’m not sure about that. I haven’t actually had chicks yet as a few hens and a rooster so far are already a lot of work as I have a lot of veggies and fruit tree’s that need care too. I sell most of the eggs, and keep some for cooking.

Yeah, I'm going to go with the adults. I don't have animal aging on BUT I am seeing that the original three I bought, 2 hens and 1 rooster have aged. The rooster is an adult now (was YA) and the two hens are now elders and I have no idea what lifestage they were on but I guess they were older than the rooster. No sign of Grimmy though, yet. I guess the game is bugged. I did start have animal aging on when my other rotational families moved to the farmland neighbourhood but I did turn animal aging off when leaving that lot and I want to keep that aging off completely for this saved game. But I guess the game has other ideas. I did check and it was ticked off (so I wasn't imagining it) but I have ticked aging on and off again just to see if that fixes it.

But I have decided to sell my elder chickens and just keep the new generation. Which means I better find some names for the little younglings as I kept them nameless because I was going to sell them :lol: Thanks guys :smile:
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Do you know how long it takes a chick to grow up? And, about how long chickens and roosters live with animal aging on?

Not precisely but my chicks grow up in about 3-4 Sim days I think, maybe longer. Didn't notice how long it took my adult chickens to age through their lifespans but then I did turn it off, so...
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    It is my experience and understanding that once you've reached the maximum of chickens for the coop, no more hatchable eggs will be laid. As for selling off the chicks vs the adults, you get more for the Adult. I only sell them when they get ornery. LOL I have a friend in RL who had a pig, a big one. He destroyed one thing too many and she took him down to be butchered! I don't think I could do that to an animal who became a pet to me. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/