Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much do you edit your born in game sims?

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

I edit born in-game sims quite a bit. Based on what I feel that sim should be. Mainly clothing and a few body/facial stuff. Generally try to keep the character as who he/she/they is. The random stuff can get really weird sometimes.

Like wearing a swimsuit or underwear as "Everyday" clothing. heh heh! I think not. :P
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Usually hair, clothes and makeup. Most of the time I don't change the hair colour they are born with, just the style.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Like many others have said, I don't usually touch the genetics, as in the things you can't even change without cheats, except when a couple has too many children that look too much alike, but with my playstyle, that doesn't happen often. There's also the issue that one of my mods (although I don't know which one, or why) causes some born-in-game or randomly generated sims to look like this with their mouths closed:

mundjgck2.jpg

Sometimes I keep it, but usually not. When I change the hair colour (either because I want unnatural hair colours that children can't be born with, or to simulate a phase, etc.), I often imply that it's dyed by leaving the eyebrow and/or facial hair in the original colour. I may sometimes add or remove body hair, well, the latter most of the time, because ever since we got body hair, every other random female sim tends to spawn with it.

Oh, and of course I always create their outfits, or use the premade styles when I'm not feeling creative. You can't trust the game with properly clothing sims, especially if you're using cc, because you'll end up with something like this:

cascef7z.jpg
  • Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    Sul Sul! I was just curious as to how much you guys edit your born in game sims. Do you give them complete makeovers such as body and facial features, just give them new hair etc, or not touch them other than their clothes?

It depends on how I'm feeling I guess. 🤔

Sometimes I will edit them but I think normally I'll leave them as the God of Sims intended them to be. Who am I to mess with the Masterplan? 😁
    But sometimes I'll edit if I really want to but normally I let them go through life with the looks they were given.

Every Sim is beautiful in her and his own way...
    Mostly..
    🤣
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Mostly just hairstyles and clothing, although I will occasionally change hair colour, but generally to a colour I know is genetically possible for the sim.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Oh, I forgot I did edit Patchy's child. Since he didn't inherit his skin tone, eye or hair color from his mother I changed them to what I thought suited a scarecrow's child. Gave him straw colored hair, a skin tone that resembled a wood tone, and I would have given him orange eyes but that wasn't available for toddlers so he has green for now.

If I am successful in having children with the flower bunny (oooh I wonder if the science baby will help with that) I will edit the skin tone to one that looks more bluish or reddish or yellowish than the usual human range and name the baby after a similar colored flower or plant.
  • jus1nickiejus1nickie Posts: 360 Member
    I keep the genes as it is most of the times, only thing I change the eyebrows and unnatural hair colors when it comes to genetics.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    You can't trust the game with properly clothing sims, especially if you're using cc, because you'll end up with something like this:

cascef7z.jpg

Thats actually kinda vibe minus the clipping

maybe add some head accessory though hair or otherwise
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    They only get new clothes from time to time.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    I always go into CAS and age them up through young adult and look at how they turn out. In the past I almost always had to play around with their chins because it seemed like every one of them when they got to teen would have this weirdly tiny, pointed chin. Like 80-90% of them had this. Lately though it seems that the genetics have gotten a tweak and now I rarely have to edit facial features. Clothes are another story. Even if the game gives them decent looking outfits I give them head to toe makeovers.
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 293 Member
    I change only eyebrows, hair styles and clothing. Usually I don't make major changes, but only then if there is something that bothers me, like for example if the eyes are too small then I edit the eyes to make them little bit bigger.
    I love the genetics in The Sims 4, and now it seems that there has been some improvements made so that the genetics work better and there are rarely cases where I feel like I need to make bigger changes to my born-in-game sims.
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited March 2023
    I’m trying to remember how many born- in -games I’ve had over the past 7 years…

I had 2 boys, which I didn’t tweak at all, bar hair and clothing. In both cases the game auto- generated CC skin-details, so I kinda ran with that.

I also have a girl. When I aged her up from a baby object into a wee toddler, she had this CC birthmark on her face. I was absolutely delighted! I’d rather not use CC at all you see, this is why I‘m looking forward to getting all these new skin details in the upcoming patch. I love moles and freckles and acne and birthmarks and scars and…friggin’ hair. We need some ear and nose hair, just for grandad (and dear nana too).

Anyways, I made this little girl’s eyes slightly bigger and rotated her ears a bit, only to enhance what was already there, NOT to make her look like a completely different person. I don’t like altering sims’ genetics in ways that make them look unrecognizable. I will however almost always replace hair and attire. I even have this kid’s mom knit cute onesies for her. The one with the happy frog on it is the best. 🐸
    She’s still a toddler, and one of my favorite sims, mainly because I gave her the angelic trait which really helps if yer a sensitive guy like meself.

Oh wait, I suddenly recall another child…also a girl. So 4 in total.
    Gosh… my sims have been busier than I thought. Rogues. 😆

Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Recently a sim toddler who was born in game ended up with the palest blonde hair, yet her dad has black hair, and her mum medium brown. Both parents were created in CAS. I was tempted to switch her to a darker style but decided to leave her as she is.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    Only hairstyle, make up, eyebrows (if they look ridiculous) and clothes, but I never touch their face or body. I don't like doing plastic surgery on my Sims. I just love them for whatever genetic features they have.
    I usually try to keep their "style" even for the clothes that they get when they age up. If a Sim has eyeglasses even on one outfit category when aging up I'm going to add them also on other outfits.
    I like randomness on Sims. I care more about their personality than their looks.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    Only hairstyle, make up, eyebrows (if they look ridiculous) and clothes, but I never touch their face or body. I don't like doing plastic surgery on my Sims. I just love them for whatever genetic features they have.
    I usually try to keep their "style" even for the clothes that they get when they age up. If a Sim has eyeglasses even on one outfit category when aging up I'm going to add them also on other outfits.
    I like randomness on Sims. I care more about their personality than their looks.

Easier to quote than type all the same :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited March 2023
    Another example of a slight edit: I aged up my child to teenager and she had very thick (vanilla) eyelashes that clipped to the skin above her eyes. So I dragged her eyes a little bit outwards to make the eyelashes clip less.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I'll adjust their noses, since the game NEVER adjusts them to match their parents'; they always get bigger noses. So I adjust them to match their parents.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • lucombrelucombre Posts: 45 Member
    I only edit hair style and clothes (and sometimes eyebrows but I try to stick with a similar shape to what they started with, just a bit thinner or thicker). The one exception in my massive save was one of Knox Greenburg’s kids who had a *very* pointy chin.
  • Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    I let the genetics be. Can't all be perfect.. :D A good hairstyle, make up and outft change usually fixes things.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited March 2023
    So far, I usually change clothing, nails, accessories, hair styles, makeup, once in a great while hair color, and sometimes things I can change without cheats.. But since I play with aging off most of the time, many of the sims I play have been made in CAS. I have noticed that in game sims usually look ok as a children, sometimes they look a bit strange when they get to teen years. I like being able to pick traits and control skills, likes and dislikes. I even wish we could pick the lifestyles we want our sims to have ( without cheats ).
    I will often go in and change townies hair, makeup nails and accessories …… if the townies look too bad, I may get rid of them all together.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    Sometimes the genetics feature tries to play my Sims and I have to make drastic changes to their features so I don't have to bleach my eyeballs.

Buttttt usually I just give them new hairstyles and clothes.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Hair, eyebrows, clothes and makeup are almost always a must. I don't like altering their genetics unless it's a really unfortunate looking sim.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    Hair, clothing, eyebrows. And makeup too, sometimes. I leave the genetics alone. They usually end up looking like one or other of their parents.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    I don't touch their genetics at all. I only decide hairstyle, eyebrows/facial hair, clothes, and such. I might rarely change their haircolour as well but that's not "going against genetics". I should know since there was a time when I colored my own hair blue.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    It depends on the thing that went wrong, but mostly changing the hair, bonestructure (if it's too thin) and clothes depending on the age. A senior at 60 should be looking different from a senior at 80 years or older, for example first grey then white, and add more wrinkles. Make-up will changed aswell, but normally my sims don't wear any make-up. But I choose carefully the future mom/dad in advance, and change them if needed, so I don't have to do this on the ingame-born sim. Other sims, on the other hand, get deleted very fast, if somethings doesn't fit in.