Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you get better builders that are lesser known to be doing builds in packs?

LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
edited March 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This was a discussion on twitter and reddit, as I always was rather disappointed since I do tire of the same youtubers you get to do builds since they aren't really dedicated builders. Was happy you guys got people like Freezerbunny and Devon Bumpkin to do builds as there's is tops.

No offense to them, but their builds are usually pretty basic if not generic? Especially when they do more suburban type builds than anything. There's so many dedicated builders out there with such varying range and skills I feel like they get cheated when they aren't highlighted more in the communities. You even see a lot of it throughout the gallery for such astounding builds.

Really hope you guys branch out a lot more in the community even with the smaller gamechangers we don't see or hear about, but they definitely be posting their work. You always seem to use James, Deli, and lilsimsie ALL the time by default with some one other builder thrown in for 'variety'. So many smaller gamechangers that are just dedicated builders and you guys aren't even utilizing them.

I know of restrictions with no moo and etc, but many have been able to make very nice builds without them heavily being necessary.
5vJrxmT.png
Post edited by LadyKyn on

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    It's getting a lot more noticeable by the community now and feeling like there's some bias unfortunately.

5vJrxmT.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    Wish they would ask Marmelad.
    Wish they would ask Marmelad.

That's another good builder I enjoy~ Along with PeachesPlace and SimDay
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    Honestly I would rather have the old silly Maxis lots to edit

I find the gamechanger builds are always so complicated for no real reason that I just bulldoze them or then I have to do like mega edit of the lot and delete half the items even if I like the house just because they spammed lights or random decor thingies or the darned plants

also idk just i feel like it kind of kills the creativity to have this whole thing of "only pretty houses built by gamechangers" like I'm not here for pinterest core I am here to find any hint of lore and if this house has none to do with it/doesn't look like sims living in it - bulldozed it is.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    They get the most basic builders I'd love to see creators like these 2 given the shot to make the worlds less bland. I'm also not against these 2 becoming full time Sims 4 world designers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VA0_50D2do&t=793s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8cJHYE1pto
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited March 2023
    I am a builder. Have been since about Bustin' Out. "Replace a few items to meet my goal? Psh. I'm going to tear down the whole house and rebuild it!" So it doesn't much matter what's there to me, I'll bulldoze it and replace it. I'd be happy with generic Maxis builds to bulldoze.

I get what you're saying though. There are a lot of good builders out there (and even I download others' builds).

I recently started watching lilsimsie a bit and have done a couple shell challenges and she seems aware that her stuff is fairly generic. I don't actually know any of the others.

I think the team is probably just going with who they think is fairly popular because it's easy.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I miss when Maxis would build the lots. They wouldn't use that awful MOO cheat and make things unusable (looking at lilsimsie's lot in Mt. Komoremi which I had to completely demo and download a new lot because I couldn't edit it).
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    It's very situational for me. Most of the time I would be just as happy with Maxis lots (though if they can outsource some of that work, and spend more time on gameplay, that's a plus). For Cottage Living, I thought it was great that they picked folks who are actually English to do the builds, and it really showed in the authenticity of the builds. I've kept every single one of those lots with only minor decor and landscaping changes. (Even though I wish we had a few more empty lots for Henford.) I wish they had done the same with Snowy Escape, honestly. For Growing Together, I think it's fine that they picked Simsie, because suburban craftsman homes are right in her wheelhouse.

But in general, yes, I think it would be great to branch out to some other builders. That being said, whenever people cite examples of other builders they would like to see chosen, their work typically seems to be... beautiful and interesting, but also, doing the most. I.e., just way too cluttered and crowded and busy to be functional for gameplay for most simmers.

Also, putting on my lawyer hat and my supervisor hat for a moment, I can see where the devs would want to go with a known quantity. When they are dealing with the same handful of people over and over, they know that they can quickly update the same old contract and get coroporate approval easily, they know that those builders are likely to actually abide by the terms of those contracts (confidentiality, timely completion for deadlines, etc.), and they know that those builders can follow instructions and take direction. Also, let's not underestimate the importance of being pleasant to work with: if you have to choose between someone you know will respond pleasantly and professionally to feedback, someone you know probably won't, and someone for whom you have absolutely no idea, most people are going to choose the first option.
    Simmingal wrote: »

I find the gamechanger builds are always so complicated for no real reason that I just bulldoze them or then I have to do like mega edit of the lot and delete half the items even if I like the house just because they spammed lights or random decor thingies or the darned plants

also idk just i feel like it kind of kills the creativity to have this whole thing of "only pretty houses built by gamechangers" like I'm not here for pinterest core I am here to find any hint of lore and if this house has none to do with it/doesn't look like sims living in it - bulldozed it is.

Maxis builds back in S2 could be tragic sometime :lol: Though there were some good ones in S3 that I enjoyed.

Someone obviously knows how to build given what we see in trailers and the like, but for some reason we don't get them with said pack it gets show cased in.

Dunno about complicated, many that's come with packs seem pretty uninspiring and generic just looking at the onsen Deli did in Snowy escape was pretty sad and empty. The one shown in the trailer looked good. Also, I enjoyed some of the story telling in previous sims games with the inside of a sims home if said family was pretty interesting in a story told. Even base game build like bob and eliza had them with two different rooms to themselves for a married couple on the rocks.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    I don't think any one builder, be it from Maxis or from the influencers will please everyone because people appreciate different things in the lots based on their gameplay. Some want big lots with space for large households, some want big rooms so they can play with the walls up, some want a large garden to go with the house and no second floors, some people don't like clutter while others feel like the house is unfinished without it, etc. I think EA likes the big influencers because they have lots of followers and then can promote the packs to them, small influencers don't have quite the same impact even if they have good builds. I don't really mind who builds the lots because I always modify or rebuild them to my gameplay needs.
    edited March 2023
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

Maxis builds back in S2 could be tragic sometime :lol: Though there were some good ones in S3 that I enjoyed.

Someone obviously knows how to build given what we see in trailers and the like, but for some reason we don't get them with said pack it gets show cased in.

Dunno about complicated, many that's come with packs seem pretty uninspiring and generic just looking at the onsen Deli did in Snowy escape was pretty sad and empty. The one shown in the trailer looked good. Also, I enjoyed some of the story telling in previous sims games with the inside of a sims home if said family was pretty interesting in a story told. Even base game build like bob and eliza had them with two different rooms to themselves for a married couple on the rocks.

I mean mostly the bigger lots like for instance I love the big mansion in Tartosa
    but I ended up deleting probably like half the items and yet it didn't really change the look of the build :sweat_smile:
    also similar feelings about the Mill Hill in CoL

(which is probably why I immediately plotted to destroy that house after playing like 2 minutes in it :sweat_smile:)
    just so much decor so little gameplay

but yeah some of the builds also feel kind of oatmeal in a way
    like i have no idea what the modern houses in Snowy was supposed to inspire
    but maybe thats just more of personal opinion

as for maxis builds I actually rather prefer ts1 and 2 to ts3
    there are some lots I like in ts3 but there were also lots of oversized feeling houses in ts3 that I didn't really vibe with
    meanwhile if you put ts1 mansion in ts4 it would pretty much look like tiny house :lol: it just feels more playable
  • DivapixieDivapixie Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'd love to see some smaller creators get their builds in the game. But sadly I can't see it happening it's because, from a marketing aspect, there's just more reach with the game-changers hyping up a pack.

It would also be cool if they gave smaller builders early access to build lots/create sims for the gallery. it would extend their marketing reach, give smaller creators a well-earned nod and give those that don't build plenty of choices when a pack lands.
    Post edited by Divapixie on
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think any of the usual 3 builders for packs are there to promote it. Don't think it's enticing to buy it cause X has a build made in it. With popularity and reviewing the pack that's already enough.

SO many gamechangers, yet they aren't even bothering to rotate them around to get those smaller creators more screen time. What's the point if you're not going to try to give some of the community a chance?
    5vJrxmT.png
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think any of the usual 3 builders for packs are there to promote it. Don't think it's enticing to buy it cause X has a build made in it. With popularity and reviewing the pack that's already enough.

SO many gamechangers, yet they aren't even bothering to rotate them around to get those smaller creators more screen time. What's the point if you're not going to try to give some of the community a chance?

I don't think anyone is going to buy a pack just because some influencer build a lot for it, but they view their videos and their reviews and that helps sell packs. Smaller creators have smaller audience, and maybe they can't dedicate as much time to Youtube as big influencers who do this as a job.
    crocobaura wrote: »

I don't think anyone is going to buy a pack just because some influencer build a lot for it, but they view their videos and their reviews and that helps sell packs. Smaller creators have smaller audience, and maybe they can't dedicate as much time to Youtube as big influencers who do this as a job.
    I would think smaller creators getting highlighted will help direct more traffic to them if anything.

These YT simmers that build (not dedicated builders like the builders in the community) don't need even more followers a good majority definitely know who they are.

I'd just like others to get a chance or what's the point other thana prance about title of a gamechanger if you don't get a chance to showcase your work?
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    From a marketing standpoint having someone like James, Deli, or lil simsie doing builds is a great move. Their videos get 100s of thousands of views. Also I am fairly certain lil simsie and James have only done builds twice. I agree it would be nice to also give some lesser known builders a shot. I wish they would do a hey harrie kit. Her custom content is amazing.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Here's some food for thought:

a) Maybe some of the smaller game changers have been asked and have turned it down.

b) The lots can ONLY be built with the base game and the new pack. No moo, no alt placement, no sizing up/down, no debug/live edits items, no cheats allowed whatsoever, and most importantly, a very limited amount of things can be used in a build to allow for low end computers. You're not even allowed to use more than 2 or 3 different wallpapers in your build. Therefore, the builds are going to be a little on the bland side no matter what.

c) Many of the builders out there that you guys are mentioning (like Marmalad or Simpiration) don't do builds that don't involve using MOO, or using the Tool Mod, or using cheats like debug/live edit. So would they even want to build a very basic, limited, boring build for an official expansion pack? Or maybe they've been asked and turned it down for that reason?

d) Each build made gets submitted to the devs 2-3 times before it gets any final 'okay' to get added into the world. They go over each build with a fine tooth comb and list the things they want removed or changed by the game changer. Therefore, it might actually be the devs who are nixxing fun ideas out of the builds. There are loading time requirements, game performance requirements, etc that all need to be taken into account.

e) You see many of these game changers going back to their expansion pack builds and re-building them in a new youtube video for that reason... they weren't allowed to do the things they wanted to originally.

f) It takes a very brave person to build something that will be permanently in the game with your name permanently engraved on it. Not everyone is brave enough to put themselves in such a vulnerable situation that could open the floodgates for some very ugly criticisms and personal attacks on twitter.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
    edited March 2023
    Here's some food for thought:

a) Maybe some of the smaller game changers have been asked and have turned it down.

b) The lots can ONLY be built with the base game and the new pack. No moo, no alt placement, no sizing up/down, no debug/live edits items, no cheats allowed whatsoever, and most importantly, a very limited amount of things can be used in a build to allow for low end computers. You're not even allowed to use more than 2 or 3 different wallpapers in your build. Therefore, the builds are going to be a little on the bland side no matter what.

c) Many of the builders out there that you guys are mentioning (like Marmalad or Simpiration) don't do builds that don't involve using MOO, or using the Tool Mod, or using cheats like debug/live edit. So would they even want to build a very basic, limited, boring build for an official expansion pack? Or maybe they've been asked and turned it down for that reason?

d) Each build made gets submitted to the devs 2-3 times before it gets any final 'okay' to get added into the world. They go over each build with a fine tooth comb and list the things they want removed or changed by the game changer. Therefore, it might actually be the devs who are nixxing fun ideas out of the builds. There are loading time requirements, game performance requirements, etc that all need to be taken into account.

e) You see many of these game changers going back to their expansion pack builds and re-building them in a new youtube video for that reason... they weren't allowed to do the things they wanted to originally.

f) It takes a very brave person to build something that will be permanently in the game with your name permanently engraved on it. Not everyone is brave enough to put themselves in such a vulnerable situation that could open the floodgates for some very ugly criticisms and personal attacks on twitter.

a)Have a hard time believing with the last years that a majority game changers would just turn down having to do a build in a pack. It feels like they just don't ask others or probably even look at other's works imo. The topic is gaining a lot more trend on twitter about it too.

b) Mentioned that above about the limits of moo and such, but there's so many various simmers that don't use it and can do vanilla builds. IT's not impossible. People like James and others are use to using moo and other building cheats often themselves, so less you haven't done a lot of it without it it's not that big of a learning curve. Can type in #nomoo in the gallery and find so many nice builds.

c) Same as I mentioned above. Also, not sure why not being able to use moo automatically means the builds will just be 'boring'. Can look at the trailers and see that's not even impossible to use without it or even the gallery. I just gave an example of some favorite builders of mine (Devon Bumpkin included and he still managed to make a very nice tavern in Henford, course he tailored it more to his vision later on but same concept) Vanilla builds just don't always equal boring. Yep, just base game plus the pack with it of course, but again not impossible at all.

d) Yeah I know all that for performance that is nothing new as you can't add hundreds of items or overly intricate builds without someone not being able to properly run said lot. Still don't really see this as why it's the same people for packs. :pensive:

e) Yep, because they can along with anyone else since adding more things from other packs will tailor it more to their liking. Don't think that's much of a point since people change things in builds all the time when they have access to more packs, since of course it wouldn't be fair to do a build prepackaged with the game and many might not have access to other packs. That's pretty obvious.

f) If you're on social media everyone is open to criticism and the like. It's the internet and there can be nasty trolls around. GC or not. You're open to anything you share, but you can't let the lesser percentage bother you if someone doesn't like it or most might just bulldoze lots and put down something else to fit their liking or aesthetic.

TLDR;

Either way, I still feel like they don't reach out to enough builders and not just throwing in a lesser known one among them out of the blue. I can't find any of this to be valid reasons for not utilizing the GC program with other simmers because they have a lesser following.
    5vJrxmT.png
    edited March 2023
    MichelleW wrote: »
    From a marketing standpoint having someone like James, Deli, or lil simsie doing builds is a great move. Their videos get 100s of thousands of views. Also I am fairly certain lil simsie and James have only done builds twice. I agree it would be nice to also give some lesser known builders a shot. I wish they would do a hey harrie kit. Her custom content is amazing.

I don't think so. It's not like they're outright saying X build is made by X unless they mention it during a live stream. Even if they didn't have a build in game, people still watch for their LP's, overviews, etc you know?

My point is seems like other simmers just don't get that equal opportunity for being in the same program. Starts feeling more like bias much as I don't wanna think that. Hope they notice the growing concerns about this and give more recognition and highlight to other simmers (builds or even pre-made sims to be made)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 369 Member
    Would love to see some of the builders that do the builds from the forums like DNA https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1000051/dna-request-team-bringing-ideas-to-life/
    Blueprint Builds https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968125/blueprint-builds/p1
    BUILD-N-SHARE CHALLENGE https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/769875/build-n-share-challenge-171-four-square-due-march-31st-2023/p1
    be given a chance to do a build for an upcoming new world as they are all amazing besides smaller builders or even larger builders like Kate Emerald, Dr Ashley, MsGryphi, Mr Olkan, Syd Mac and there are many others
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2023
    Game changers who have built and/or collaborated with EA for packs/kits thus far:

- Deligracy (snowy escape, growing together)
    - James Turner (snowy escape, werewolves, growing together)
    - Lil Simsie (snowy escape, growing together)
    - Dzidziak (growing together)
    - SimLicy (snowy escape, wedding stories)
    - Doctor Ashley (built the EA official gallery house for paranormal stuff pack)
    - Ms. Gryphi (high school years)
    - FreezerBunny (high school years)
    - JOL1990 (high school years)
    - IceMunMun (wedding stories)
    - CatherineGamesYT (wedding stories)
    - Thomas TV (cottage living)
    - Devon Bumpkin (cottage living)
    - Hey Harrie (cottage living, wedding stories)
    - Claire Siobhan (cottage living)
    - Simproved (eco lifestyle)
    - English Simmer (eco lifestyle Greenburg family)
    - Plumbella (eco lifestyle Greenburg family, pastel pop kit)

I'm not sure if I might have missed any?

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    I get what you’re saying, I keep hearing the same names and seeing the same kind of builds. I consider it to be both convenience & “celebrity” branding, nothing else.

Then again, I don’t pay too much attention to it. I’m a builder and personally I don’t really care.
    I look at the builds, acknowledge that they’re there, appreciate their brief existence in my game….and then I tear ‘em all down. ALL OF THEM!!
    DOOOOWN!!! 😈

I then continue to replace them with my nomoo spaceships and other cursed dwellings.

The devs should visit the forums for a change. We’ve got plenty of talented builders on here. Take yer pick.
    Surely this place can’t be worse than Twatter.
    edited March 2023
    Game changers who have built and/or collaborated with EA for packs/kits thus far:

- Deligracy (snowy escape, growing together)
    - James Turner (snowy escape, werewolves, growing together)
    - Lil Simsie (snowy escape, growing together)
    - Dzidziak (growing together)
    - SimLicy (snowy escape, wedding stories)
    - Doctor Ashley (built the EA official gallery house for paranormal stuff pack)
    - Ms. Gryphi (high school years)
    - FreezerBunny (high school years)
    - JOL1990 (high school years)
    - IceMunMun (wedding stories)
    - CatherineGamesYT (wedding stories)
    - Thomas TV (cottage living)
    - Devon Bumpkin (cottage living)
    - Hey Harrie (cottage living, wedding stories)
    - Claire Siobhan (cottage living)
    - Simproved (eco lifestyle)
    - English Simmer (eco lifestyle Greenburg family)
    - Plumbella (eco lifestyle Greenburg family, pastel pop kit)

I'm not sure if I might have missed any?

Urbansims with the kit for kids and also did a collab getting paid to advertise for the Climates in seasons in Let's plays. Also James and Deli's sims were featured in the Get Famous trailer. (One more I can't think off the top of my head).

Seeing the list just kinda shows my point in using a lot more popular simmers. It's unbalanced.Yeah, always marketing, but seems like there's no point in people ebeing able to apply as a GC as it just gets them a free pack to review and there's not much growth in your followers.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I've still only heard of 3 of those people, because I just don't follow gamechangers.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    edited March 2023
    I also think that theres little bit of a problem with how the gamechangers are building these builds before they have any knowledge of items coming in the pack or how the world is gonna look

I don't think even I could make exciting house under the circumstance of not knowing what gameplay items I could have in the house