Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Check Your Mods!

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
edited March 2023 in General Mods Discussion
From what we've seen, infants will affect a lot. And I mean, a LOT.

We always say to check your mods nowadays, but this time, it's really important. Infants aren't just a new kind of life like Werewolves; they're a whole new base-game lifestage, like Toddlers! Even some of your BB and CAS may break. The Devs are certainly not obliged to make sure your base game is compatible with Basemental.

That's the first thing people will always ask you upon finding a bug. Have you checked your mods? The big ones will doubtless be up and running within a few days. It's fine, it's all fine.
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Yeah I'm expecting not to be able to play for the first couple days. I've considered going vanilla till mods are fixed but I'll probably need UI cheats to care for my infants.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited March 2023
    I plan to move my entire mods folder out before the update. I don't expect to play until the pack itself comes out because I don't want to miss any infant milestones. So that gives me two days to get mods updated or cleared.

At that point I'll make a decision whether to continue my current rotation, removing any mods not updated or obsolete, or starting a vanilla save.

Also, everyone, remember to make copies of your save files!
  • Options
    KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    I'm not planning to update at all and just play the game offline until all the bugs and mods have been fixed and updated.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I read what Bonxie had to say about this whole upcoming disaster. I have been trying to get my game save back on track since March of 2020. Every time I get my main character, Erik Cantrell, back to something close to where he was when blammo a patch hit and my game save was no more. I have been very wary. I have what I call PPDS. Translated: Post Patch Distress Syndrome.

I'm now wondering what I should do. I lost the save I had ongoing. Made the decision once the Infants announcement came out to continue playing this save, with aging off. My biggest concern at that time, was not wanting a huge lapse of time between the children of this couple. (Which may change altogether with Infants, since I perceive they may take more vigilance.) I have played with multiple Toddlers before, but let's face it, a mobile baby requires the caregivers to put on their running shoes. I will navigate my game accordingly. By the slip of my hand, or even my mind, in trying to back up the save when we got a patch on 28 January, which some of us were led to believe was the patch, When I looked for it it was simply gone. I shall not back up in haste again. Lesson learned. I restarted, jumped through a few hoops, made mistakes along the way, and ended up way too quickly. (only had the wedding to go.) It was early February. I restarted a second time, slowed down my gameplay, fixed what went wrong the prior time and am now on track.

Do I restart a third time? So that I can set the family dynamics up front in CAS, while Erik is still living with his parents? Or do I just pretend he's the Global Superstar Rock star, that without certain mods he won't have an income? As you can see I have some serious pondering to do, now that we only have five days left on the countdown. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I'm not planning to update at all and just play the game offline until all the bugs and mods have been fixed and updated.

Yep yep. Me too. I dread to think of the carnage it's going to cause! :#
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    don't have a choice i use the app it not let me play if not update.
  • Options
    bandit5 wrote: »
    don't have a choice i use the app it not let me play if not update.

Origin was doing the exact same thing to me. I was never allowed to not update, not if I wanted to play my game. But I want this patch. So I just have to recognize mods will likely break and then I have to test the ones I really need in order to play to see if they aren't messing with the new game, itself. What an evolution this game has gone through.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Vanilla game save playing for me.

I'll be completely removing my mods folder (the rest will be backed up beforehand) until all mods and cc I use is back to being fully updated... however long that takes.

I don't mind playing my vanilla save file. It takes me away from making storylines with my current households, thereby freeing up time for creating some new builds or getting more familiar with townies' background stories.

Sometimes playing vanilla is a breath of fresh air... no pressure to have to fulfill certain gameplay needs with long-established households. Just freely bopping around the worlds, doing whatever, with whomever, and maybe even learning new ways to die (because I'm not fearful of killing off new unfamiliar sims). :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I'll be completely removing my mods folder (the rest will be backed up beforehand) until all mods and cc I use is back to being fully updated... however long that takes.

I don't mind playing my vanilla save file. It takes me away from making storylines with my current households, thereby freeing up time for creating some new builds or getting more familiar with townies' background stories.

Sometimes playing vanilla is a breath of fresh air... no pressure to have to fulfill certain gameplay needs with long-established households. Just freely bopping around the worlds, doing whatever, with whomever, and maybe even learning new ways to die (because I'm not fearful of killing off new unfamiliar sims). :D

I feel exactly the same! I get a newfound appreciation for some of the features that are already present in the game when I go vanilla after a patch!
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member

I'm the same way. I have a main save at currently 52 generations, so I guard that well when patches arrive. I back up my saves, move out the mods/ CC, update, and play a vanilla rags-to-riches to explore new features and old.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    Well, I do have to say that I will be going vanilla with a copy of my current save. I do a Save As, with each gaming session. So I will take the latest one come Patch day to carry my story forward. I will likely test-play a couple of mods I do need for this save, after the patch, just to see if they work. If so, I will sally forth.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    We have heard that even CC doors will break thanks to certain new door options. So there's no telling what else will break if your shiny new Infants can't interact with it in the way intended.

Maybe you should just do as Fake Gamer Girl has done, delete all your CC and CAS, and go shopping for more after the first couple of patches. Hey, your Sims just went to the stylist; there are lots of similar styles out there, and our Sims hairdressers are getting better all the time.

(Or don't, it's all fine.)
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm expecting to either play offline or not play for a while. It could take a few months to get things in order (but hopefully not that long). I remember when mirrors, chairs, and beds broke because of previous patches.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    edited March 2023
    Loanet wrote: »
    We have heard that even CC doors will break thanks to certain new door options. So there's no telling what else will break if your shiny new Infants can't interact with it in the way intended.

Maybe you should just do as Fake Gamer Girl has done, delete all your CC and CAS, and go shopping for more after the first couple of patches. Hey, your Sims just went to the stylist; there are lots of similar styles out there, and our Sims hairdressers are getting better all the time.

I've been thinking about doing something very like this for a couple of weeks now. I'm trying to catalog as many pieces that I'm currently using in my SimLit stories as possible, so that I can try my best to maintain continuity. With something as big as this, and as old as some of these items are, breakage and major changes are unavoidable. I'm trying to look at like pressing a reset button. That's not necessarily a bad thing for people like me who are cc hoarders and who have put off cleaning things out. It may actually help my game run smoother. The two items I hope aren't about to break are hairstyles and skin overlays. The hairstyles really aren't that big, like you said, they just went to their stylist, but I have some sims that look noticeably different without those overlays. That's the big one that I hope survives this.

Mods are the same. I have so many doing so many things, enhancements and fixes, that maybe some of them can be deleted. The major ones I consider must haves are popular ones that are maintained and updated frequently. I have so many it's possible I have more than one doing the same thing. This will clean that up too.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited March 2023
    I don't delete my mods folder. I just move it to my desktop and rename it. Usually we know what's cleared and what's broken within a couple of days.

As mods are cleared or updated, I move them back into my game. (Obviously after downloading the update.) Usually most CAS CC can be moved back immediately as well. If B/B objects break, usually there will be a batch fix from Sims 4 Studio.

If it's been a few days and there are mods whose status I don't know, I test them myself. If they are broken and there's no word from the modder, then I delete them. Luthien has a very helpful thread for this in the mods section.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »

Wow, I just moved a few bits of cc that I won't need for a time, since they were things (toys) designed for Toddlers out of my folder. I have a few cc for flooring and some icons. I suppose I would be wise to change out my cc fireplace for one in the game? Nothing comes close to this wide-maw medieval stone fireplace, though. Sadness.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    haneul wrote: »
    I'm expecting to either play offline or not play for a while. It could take a few months to get things in order (but hopefully not that long). I remember when mirrors, chairs, and beds broke because of previous patches.

This makes me so very glad I haven't gone crazy accruing build mode cc. 1 18th century style wallpaper, a fantastic medieval stone fireplace, and some Old World flooring.
    telemwill wrote: »
    I don't delete my mods folder. I just move it to my desktop and rename it. Usually we know what's cleared and what's broken within a couple of days.

As mods are cleared or updated, I move them back into my game. (Obviously after downloading the update.) Usually most CAS CC can be moved back immediately as well. If B/B objects break, usually there will be a batch fix from Sims 4 Studio.

If it's been a few days and there are mods whose status I don't know, I test them myself. If they are broken and there's no word from the modder, then I delete them. Luthien has a very helpful thread for this in the mods section.

I don't either, not any more. I deleted a bunch of 18th century clothing and when I decided to give the save I scrounged around for said items, I had to start searching all over. The good news about this is that there were far more things available in the timeframe! But, I'm not deleting them. I've already moved those to my desk top, since I lost the saves folder that one was in. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    You know whats funny? I went totally mod free when I came back to playing since the announcement of this pack. I knew it would be mod destruction so I dumped them all accept mccomand.
    For a while it was all going great. Then I got so annoyed at the constant phone use I readded that mod. Then I got tired of the room sniffing and environmental idles they do constantly so I readded that mod. Then I got super annoyed how sims eat in 2 bites after the nerf so I readded that more bites mod (yes I'm still using the broken one because I love long dinners and chill time 😒)
    Then my sims kept getting unfullfilled dreams but I don't even play with wants, I only wanted the fears so I added that mod back too.
    I realized how much I missed my custom traits because without them there are sooooooooooo few and I have a lot of sims. And most of the ones we do have are so so bland and pretty boring that they all end up work the same traits. Added those back. I noticed the social menus were so limited and boring options to choose from when I want my sims to be able to express so much more during conversations (I love the new options coming with the new pack) so I added my social mods back. I hated not being able to live in the destination worlds so those went back in to.
    Long story short I ended up back at square one😂😂😂😂 and honestly I don't know what I'm going to do when the update drops. I may wait for updates and play through other people because I have in real life things I could be getting done while I wait.
    Or I may play around with a test vanilla save.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    You know whats funny? I went totally mod free when I came back to playing since the announcement of this pack. I knew it would be mod destruction so I dumped them all accept mccomand.
    For a while it was all going great. Then I got so annoyed at the constant phone use I readded that mod. Then I got tired of the room sniffing and environmental idles they do constantly so I readded that mod. Then I got super annoyed how sims eat in 2 bites after the nerf so I readded that more bites mod (yes I'm still using the broken one because I love long dinners and chill time 😒)
    Then my sims kept getting unfullfilled dreams but I don't even play with wants, I only wanted the fears so I added that mod back too.
    I realized how much I missed my custom traits because without them there are sooooooooooo few and I have a lot of sims. And most of the ones we do have are so so bland and pretty boring that they all end up work the same traits. Added those back. I noticed the social menus were so limited and boring options to choose from when I want my sims to be able to express so much more during conversations (I love the new options coming with the new pack) so I added my social mods back. I hated not being able to live in the destination worlds so those went back in to.
    Long story short I ended up back at square one😂😂😂😂 and honestly I don't know what I'm going to do when the update drops. I may wait for updates and play through other people because I have in real life things I could be getting done while I wait.
    Or I may play around with a test vanilla save.

This exactly! How do people actually enjoy a vanilla game after "fixing" all the things that are so maddening about it? If only I could go back to the day before I ever discovered there were mods. But I can't. :(

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Right now I'm building a few houses in preparation for having families who will have more children (and for installing a few of the more... *ahem* mods). Don't need too many mods for that.
  • Options
    aryia74aryia74 Posts: 9 New Member
    > @SAEldarin said:
    > This exactly! How do people actually enjoy a vanilla game after "fixing" all the things that are so maddening about it? If only I could go back to the day before I ever discovered there were mods. But I can't. :(

Same! I am excited for this patch, but not excited cause I know a lot of the mods I depend on are going to be busted for a long time.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I just play offline for a week or so, until all the EA patching is done and the modders have finalized their updates. This way I only have to update my game once and my mods once.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    Having to wait for mods to be updated is how I've grown to discover all the things they've tweaked and improved about the game itself. I love when I can take a mod out because it's no longer needed. So when this update happens tomorrow, I'm going to play but not save. Then when the 2 main mods are updated (UI and MCCC) I'll put those in, try it, then put my other mod folders in one by one. It used to take me daysssss, now maybe an hour if that.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    edited March 2023
    one that will break for sure is the better pie menu. Since a update for pie menu is in the patch. wish i could play offline ea app won't run the game if offline.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited March 2023
    bandit5 wrote: »
    one that will break for sure is the better pie menu. Since a update for pie menu is in the patch. wish i could play offline ea app won't run the game if offline.

Yes it will, I play with it offline when I play. You only have to be online to use the Gallery. Just use the sandwich menu in the upper left corner when you open the app and select "go offline." You just have to remember to do it every time you open the app because once you close it, it automatically switches back online.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!