The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does it bother you to restart with new The Sims game (basegame only) ?

13...Next

Comments

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Not all.
    It doesn't bother me because I usually wait a few years before fully moving to the next game. When Sims 3 was in the spotlight I was still playing Sims 2. I feel like right now Sims 4 is (finally) getting to a point where it feels full so whenever Sims 4 comes out I'll probably stick with Sims 4 for a few years until Sims 5 has more content.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited February 2023
    A little
    I would say a little. I get VERY overwhelmed when a new base game is released, but once I get the hang of it, I start wanting more & not wanting any of my sims to go without things like seasons, pets, etc.

That being said, though, I don’t think that EVERYTHING should be included in the base game. I just get impatient, haha.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Other choice ...
    I have mixed feelings about starting over. It all depends on whether or not the new game feels like an improvement.

Sims 1 to sims 2 felt like a huge improvement. Sims 2 added new features like aging and a 3D camera. It also took things from sims 1 expansions and made them base game. I am talking about being able to visit community lots and choosing your sims pj's. I remember they were not available with only the sims 1 base game. When I opened sims 2 for the first time and saw I could take my sims to other lots, I left sims 1 behind easily.

Sims 2 to 3 also felt like a step forward. The team added new features like the color wheel and moodlets but also added things from sims 2 expansion into the base game like gardening and cars. Sims 3 was never my favourite but I could see a positive evolution in the game.

Sims 3 to 4 hurt. For me personally it was more of a sims 2 to sims 4 so the lot based structure didn't bother me. But sims 4 striped so many essential features from previous (base)games. No toddlers, ghosts, family trees... Even sims 1 base game elements like swimming and pools were gone. Some of the features that remained were devolved. Babies were reduced to cribs like in the sims 1. The color wheel was gone and replaced with a swatch system that was inferior to the swatches in sims 2 where we could choose bedframes and bedding separately.
    The base game as it launched in 2014 just wasn't finished. It has come a long way. The addition of toddlers was a turning point for me. That's when Sims 4 finally had tackled the essentials. The game as it is now, feels like it actually has what a life sim needs (for the most part) .

So if the next version will feel similar to switching from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 I am all for it. If it is another Sims 4 with only the bare minimum, then I will stick to a previous version.
  • auricio288auricio288 Posts: 149 Member
    A little
    Sure I’ll play it, but I won’t uninstall Sims 4, at least in the beginning.
    Zvt4d0O.gif
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited March 2023
    Other choice ...
    It'll never affect me because I'll be playing the Sims 2 and 3 well into the new games life span until it seems like its aged well enough!

I'd be bothered if I suddenly lost the ability to play TS2 and 3 upon 5's release then had to make the jump to the new game, but that won't happen. Hopefully.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    Not all.
    I think I will enjoy starting over. I stayed away from 4 at launch for the reasons many did, when I eventually picked it up I think it was during a sale and I bought some packs. When I returned to the game this time after forgetting any specifics of the gameplay the first time around I picked up more packs in bundles. I have found having all these choices of what to do at once overwhelming.

The idea of starting from the beginning without the temptation of extra packs is appealing. I don't want Rene's base game to repeat the mistakes of 4 for the overall community, but as I'm finding it harder to find games I can play and enjoy, I'm less interested in "sending a message" to publishers lke EA about their practices, and would rather get some entertainment where I can find it. So it could come out with two life stages, adult and dead, and if I like the art style there will be a 90% chance I'll pick up the next game at launch.
  • AdamBurtSimsAdamBurtSims Posts: 37 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    First time was okay, but 2nd time, I was frusrated, Sim (me) die cos of turning into Vampire in the sun light, had to do things again and lot my pet cat cos my Sim die. (The Sims 4)
    I'm a British Geek who love Bella Goth, Behr sisters, Liberty Lee, Summer Holidays, Pleasant sisters and other Sims wafius/girlfriends. And like his Sims cats.g8pvk4adgueh.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    A little
    Now it does. I wouldn't want to start out with a nothing, nothing game in year one again. Boring, Zzz... :(:/
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    It depends on what's included. The Sims 2 basegame offered more at the start than The Sims 1 did -- it offered community lots, for instance, and it had SO MUCH MORE than the original game that I didn't feel it was diminished in the least. The Sims 3 was again, considerably more interesting and advanced in ways -- the collectibles, the living world, the more interactive careers, and again it had stuff we had to wait for expansions for in the past, like basic gardening. However, The Sims 2 had upped the ante: having experienced something as basic as weather in TS2, its absence from TS3 was notable, and I never moved on from TS2, playing TS3 only for a change of pace every now and again. The Sims 4 came out of the gate with almost nothing, though -- missing stuff that was in The Sims 2's base game, and frankly it was insulting to be asked to pay for the same expansion for the third time in a row. (University, Weather, etc). TS4's big novelty was the great CAS and then emotions, and that was the reason I gave it a shot when it was steeply discounted. EA is going to have to up its game and offer not only a complete-feeling base game (not missing basic stuff like toddlers), but something that makes it superior not just to TS4 but to Life By You. There has to be something Compellingly Different. Frankly, I think Paradox is going to have the same problem with Cities Skylines 2: CS is such an expansive game that I don't know how they can one-up it enough to make people move away from their game with mods and such.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Like a lot of others have alluded to, it's more an issue since Sims 4.

Going from 1, Bustin' Out, etc. up to Sims 3, it didn't bother me. All the games offered something new and fun. Sims 4 was a huge disappointment for several years. It has made me wary of starting over again. I'm still really cautious with each pack I buy and tend to wait for sales. That was never the case with other games, I always snatched everything up ASAP. But Sims 4 has made me really, really wary.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    I found The Sims two years after it had been released and had been fleshed out with the addition of new packs, so it wasn't as if I had started with just a base game. Sims2 was such a game changer upon release it didn't feel empty or lacking. Sims3 was another story even though it introduced the open world. I returned to Sims2 while waiting to see if the routing issues and poor lighting effects would be addressed. But I began to play Sims3 almost exclusively when Generations was released in May of 2011. By then there were mods to help with the worst of the glitches and I could play without too many problems.

But then Sims4 came out and I was not happy about how empty the base game was. The toddlers were missing as well as content we had come to expect in a base game release. I tried to play it, but I gave up after just a week and went back to Sims2 and 3 for well over a year before I decided to give it another chance. I loved the art style and how beautiful the worlds are. I had already invested in the base game, and I wanted a return on my investment. But the missing toddlers and lack of content as a whole, really made the game a little boring to play after having played the previous iterations.

After playing all these years and purchasing new packs two or three times a year, the thought of starting all over again just doesn't appeal to me. Especially after my personal experience with Sims4 that continues to disappoint. The manner in which Sims4 has been developed, altered as EA/Maxis tried to make the game more relevant and inclusive which I have no problem with but it came at the cost of meaningful and fulfilling gameplay, the influx of new bugs that come in every update and pack that take too long to fix, and the number of mods I must use to tweak the game into something I enjoy playing, I am in no hurry to spend another nickel on yet another bare bones base game. My biggest concern with the Sims5 base game is that it will be even worse than the one for Sims4. DLC is also a concern as we hear snippets of info about loot boxes and fewer actual packs being developed. And we don't know if any of that is true because no one at EA/Maxis is willing to discuss it.

But I do know the Sims5 base game will have to be very different from anything we have ever seen before to entice me into purchasing it. And I don't think that will happen. They hyped the pack refreshes and we got just one. Game packs are few and far between. Stuff packs have disappeared completely. Quality control is laughable, and cross pack compatibility is worrisome with every new EP, leading to glitches and bugs mod creators can fix but the teams at EA can't or won't. Before EA/Maxis attempts to build hype for Sims5, it should take care of the problems in Sims4 first then try being more transparent in its plans for Sims5. EA needs to take into consideration the fact it has not one but possibly two new competitors in the life simulation market now.
  • chongjasminechongjasmine Posts: 68 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    I am usually a late adopter of games. I never played sims 4 until now, when the base game is free and there are many contents available. I will wait awhile before playing the sims 5.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,836 Member
    Other choice ...
    Late adopters reap so many benefits @chongjasmine I am one too :) started playing TS2 during Covid lockdown, switched to TS4 a few months later.

(though I wasn't so late that I got the basegame for free lol, you win there!)
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited May 2023
    A little
    Hi if the Base Game is really promising I wouldn't mind it. Like for example Sims 3 and its Open World really promised advanced gameplay to me. Now I am the guy that basically buys everything for my Sims Game, so I already did spend alot of money into the Games over the years. Yes just today I bought the newest Sims 4 Sets, which makes my Sims 4 Collection complete again. I do still want to remind Maxis I still miss my Cars in the Game thanks :wink: