Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

San Sequoia World Discussion

Comments

• annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    You know what would make a really really awesome Game Pack?

An empty worlds game pack.... 3 or 4 different types of worlds (different environments) that are full of empty lots (like Newcrest). This way, for those of us who do have the computing power, we would get the option to buy said empty worlds and fill them to our hearts' content. And those who don't have the computing power could choose to not buy them.

Or better yet....

How about a World Kit? One kit, one empty world. A new empty world for $5? Yes please! Each empty world kit could feature a different type of environment and eco system (tropical, desert, city/urban, magical/spooky, alien, etc). And since kits usually release in pairs, how about releasing an 'empty world kit' right next to a 'stuff kit' (CAS or BB) that matches/represents the theme of the new world? Giving players the option of buying a new world and also buying the corresponding cas/bb stuff kit.

And thus, everyone's happy?

i've made this suggestion in the past- and suggested that the ea creator network peeps could also be asked to create their own save files or lots on the gallery/households to download to fill the worlds so that you get the choice to either fill it yourself or use the game changer pre-mades or a combination of pre-mades from different game changers with some of your own builds. Just promoting that whole create your own world create your own stories kind of emphasis. They would make fantastic kits/stuff packs. But i agree that there needs to be atleast 5 lots per neighbourhood.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    This new world reminds me a lot of Tartosa, because it looks really empty. Apart from the community lots, which are not that different from libraries and Art Center we already have, there is not much going on. Power walk seems nice, but after Snowy Escape, I'm not excited for this as much as I was in 2020. The one lonely stall with the same old food angered me, honestly. In Tartosa at least there were new wedding cakes and local fruit tart. The cinema and night view of the bridge are the only positives of this world for me at this point. And I know those will get old quickly. I'm usually very excited for new places where my sims can go and live, but San Sequoia didn't do it for me. I agree with people saying this world (and Bay Area vibe) was a perfect opportunity to add more functional boats or yachts. In the trailer there is quick animation of motorboats speeding near the bridge, I would love for my sims to be able to own one and take a trip. Instead what I'm seeing is super bland world. Personally I don't mind small locations, but there need to be something going on that our sims can actually do. Something beside community lots.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    The livestream got me a lot more interested in the pack as a whole than I was before. The world, however... not so much. It's pretty, as usual, but nothing new or unique. The two green neighbourhoods look like they were cut from Willow Creek, the more industrial-looking one might as well be part of Evergreen Harbor. And once again, the most interesting sight, the bridge, is just background decoration that can't be interacted with in any way. Granted, you probably couldn't do much with it even if you were able to go there, but still.

One topic they poked fun at during the livestream, why they'd name a world San Sequoia when there aren't even any sequoias, annoyed me a bit, because that's one thing I keep asking myself a lot. It's not the names of the worlds that bother me, but the descriptions. Many of the latest ones had lines like "This used to be a mining town" or "There used to be a mill here". Why is it that each of these worlds used to be interesting in the past? Why can't this interesting thing that we haven't had before be there right now?

But that's just a minor gripe in this case. The pack is obviously about fleshing out families, relationships, and the sims themselves, and I can't think of a lot that big bridges or trees could contribute to that. The world is ultimately just a backdrop for the new gameplay, and that at least looks promising so far.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member

that is a rather interesting lot placement with road on all sides
    well granted one side of the lot is not attached to the side walk

I immediately recall the great struggle of Honeydew Fields
    (which thankfully I conquered in the end)

hopefully I'll have less struggles with this one :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited March 2023
    Btw can you add the world map and lot sizes to the opening post so its easier to find I keep trying to guess which page they're on :lol:

like this at least
    FqVA4LZXwAAFfYy?format=jpg&name=large

seems like its possibly the 40x20 lot the one surrounded by the roads interesting
    that 64x64 is gonna be death of me though
    I already know I'm gonna be wasting so many hours on it only to bulldoze it probably 100 times
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,828 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Btw can you add the world map and lot sizes to the opening post so its easier to find I keep trying to guess which page they're on :lol:

like this at least

seems like its possibly the 40x20 lot the one surrounded by the roads interesting
    I already know I'm gonna be wasting so many hours on it only to bulldoze it probably 100 times

I was eyeing that 64x64 lot for a community lot. I'm currently building that lot on 50x50 in Oasis Springs but I think it would fit in aesthetically with San Sequoia too. I wanted a 64x64 but the one in Del Sol Valley feels more residential than business/community and that extra 14x14 would make building so much easier.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I might turn the 64x64 Rec Centre into a retirement village for Elder sims and use the 40x20 near the splash pads/lake as the new Rec Centre lot.
  • RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member

like this at least

40*20 will be my own townhouse! B)
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    The livestream got me a lot more interested in the pack as a whole than I was before. The world, however... not so much. It's pretty, as usual, but nothing new or unique. The two green neighbourhoods look like they were cut from Willow Creek, the more industrial-looking one might as well be part of Evergreen Harbor. And once again, the most interesting sight, the bridge, is just background decoration that can't be interacted with in any way. Granted, you probably couldn't do much with it even if you were able to go there, but still.

One topic they poked fun at during the livestream, why they'd name a world San Sequoia when there aren't even any sequoias, annoyed me a bit, because that's one thing I keep asking myself a lot. It's not the names of the worlds that bother me, but the descriptions. Many of the latest ones had lines like "This used to be a mining town" or "There used to be a mill here". Why is it that each of these worlds used to be interesting in the past? Why can't this interesting thing that we haven't had before be there right now?

But that's just a minor gripe in this case. The pack is obviously about fleshing out families, relationships, and the sims themselves, and I can't think of a lot that big bridges or trees could contribute to that. The world is ultimately just a backdrop for the new gameplay, and that at least looks promising so far.

I don't know why instead of a stump, they couldn't have had a single remaining Sequoia tree marked off by the sign.

I agree about the used to be worlds too. It would be nice to have jobs that are not white collar. I can understand that the werewolves might have destroyed the mill and ran off the owners. I can't understand why you can't have a mine and a high school in the same town. I grew up in a college town with a zinc mine. People joked about higher education being undermined all the time.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    I'm deeply into history in RL, and I love details hinting to how a world used to be, and that there is actually a couple centuries of history that more or less created the world, and naturally gave its name. I think when we play a world we form that world's future, it's only natural that things changed over the generations. I might make up stories of the past, but I'll wait until I see the lot names etc to put together the threads I can find.

For Evergreen Harbor I made up their industrial past, and some of the current households descend from the great men who established the industry there. They have painted portraits of them on their wall, and they are proud of them although the general sentiment has changed a lot focusing on eco instead. The general vibe is that back in the years of the industrial pioneers, they did what was right in their own time, and should not really be blamed. (old article here on my blog if anyone is interested)

For the 64x64 lot in San Sequoia I plan to make it a nautical museum (because of the backstory of my wharf) including changing exhibitions and the most important - being the landing point for the near by water park. I figure that sims traveling to use the water park ought to arrive at a lot. This might still be the rec center, I will need to learn more about the features. If rec is not suited for this landing lot, I might build a smaller rec center at the 40x20.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited March 2023

like this at least

Done.
    I wasn't able to post the picture without the tweet from my gallery on my phone.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2023

Yeah, frankly that whole part of the conversation irritated me. It seemed like he was totally missing the point. Nobody has a problem with the name. It's a great name. But we will almost certainly get a handful of landscaping items in B/B; how hard would it have been to make one of them a sequoia, at the very least? And then stick a handful of them around the world? Ideally, we should have had a park, or maybe Gilbert Gardens, filled with sequoias as a nod to Muir Woods. But at a bare minimum, they could have made that "Stumpy" landmark an actual living sequoia, even if that was the single living sequoia left in the world. I mean, is there no historical preservation society in San Sequoia?

Like, yes, yes, we get it... climate change, deforestation, etc. But if we are heading toward a dystopian environmental hellscape in real life, some of us would like to use the Sims to escape that temporarily, not rush headlong toward it.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    I think it’s probably the weakest part of the pack we saw in the livestream and the prerelease materials. Doesn’t really seem to please live mode players like me who like interesting worlds with lots to see and do or the build mode players who want more lots.

That being said I don’t think this particular pack needs a world. But if they’re spending time on it it’s a shame it’s not more appealing. My sims will move there for the expansion but I’m already thinking of where to move them afterwards to be honest, doesn’t look like a long term stay. Brindleton Bay or the cottage living world seems more fun for sims to grow up.

I was really surprised they were highlighting a food stall we already have in the game as one of its features. It seems like it’s mostly set dressing and not as good looking as other set dressing worlds we have like Glimmerbrook and Tartosa. Am looking forward to the hikes and walks though, I enjoyed them in SE and glad they are back. I was hoping for cycle paths/bike rides/bird watching but maybe there is something.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on
    edited March 2023

like this at least

I was eyeing that 64x64 lot for a community lot. I'm currently building that lot on 50x50 in Oasis Springs but I think it would fit in aesthetically with San Sequoia too. I wanted a 64x64 but the one in Del Sol Valley feels more residential than business/community and that extra 14x14 would make building so much easier.

The one thing I am happy about
    is that this world doesn't seem to have obvious mansion lot

like yes we have the big lot in gilbert gardens but it doesn't scream "this has to be mansion nothing else will make sense with how this lot is surrounded"

and the other big lots are also in areas that could either be community lots or just like normie houses

one thing that too is rather interesting is that we have lots of wide lots this time like as opposed to having big backyards like we usually end up having in willow creek and newcrest

might be good or not
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I love that there's so much trees in & around the neighborhoods. I so can't wait to bulldoze all the lots in the World & see how I can somewhat creatively make a new historical world. :p
    And yes that's only with vanilla. ;)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

like this at least

like yes we have the big lot in gilbert gardens but it doesn't scream "this has to be mansion nothing else will make sense with how this lot is surrounded"

and the other big lots are also in areas that could either be community lots or just like normie houses

one thing that too is rather interesting is that we have lots of wide lots this time like as opposed to having big backyards like we usually end up having in willow creek and newcrest

might be good or not

Is that really a lot though or just one of those spaces we can't build on like the carnival in Copperdale?
    edited March 2023

like this at least

might be good or not

Is that really a lot though or just one of those spaces we can't build on like the carnival in Copperdale?

hm? the 64x64 is a lot? so we can build whatever we want I think

mansion in Gilbert is just set dressing tho if thats what you meant and splash pad is not on a lot

I just meant we don't have lots that are placed like say hounds head in brindleton where there is this huge lot with the fancy driveway and if you put like say small house on it would look so dang out of place

so tired of that type of lots
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Yeah, frankly that whole part of the conversation irritated me. It seemed like he was totally missing the point. Nobody has a problem with the name. It's a great name. But we will almost certainly get a handful of landscaping items in B/B; how hard would it have been to make one of them a sequoia, at the very least? And then stick a handful of them around the world? Ideally, we should have had a park, or maybe Gilbert Gardens, filled with sequoias as a nod to Muir Woods. But at a bare minimum, they could have made that "Stumpy" landmark an actual living sequoia, even if that was the single living sequoia left in the world. I mean, is there no historical preservation society in San Sequoia?

Like, yes, yes, we get it... climate change, deforestation, etc. But if we are heading toward a dystopian environmental hellscape in real life, some of us would like to use the Sims to escape that temporarily, not rush headlong toward it.

The stump looks like it has new growth so maybe technically it's not dead. But sequoia seeds would have been so much better, with the possibility to grow them really tall over several sim years. I hated the big tree in Tartosa, there was nothing to do with it, I would have expected at least a hug tree interaction especially after they mad so much fuss about it. Same thing happening with the sequoia, it's there but not really there because you forget it exists since there's no interaction with it.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited March 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Nushka wrote: »
    Nushka wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I notice there's a concern about how most of the Worlds are American. I understand that, however Sims 4 is actually an American game, so it makes sense.
    I do appreciate the following worlds:
    Oasis Springs - Mexico/Spain
    Windenburg/Henford/Forgotten Hollow/Glimmerbrook - Europe
    Sulani/Tartosa - Tropical Islands
    Coperdale/Moonwood - Baniff & Jasper Canada

And what I've seen so far, San Sequoia reminds me of Vancouver Canada
    Tartosa is Europe and you can add Britechester to Europe, as well. In addition, I think San Myshuno has some Asian vibes (obviously without being all Asian). Maybe it's just the name and the Karaoke that plays with my mind...

In fact, what worlds are typical American except Willow Creek and Strangerville? I can't see how most worlds are American.

Oasis Springs looks nothing like Spain or Mexico, it's a typical New Mexico/Arizona suburb
    Copperdale looks just like it could be on the Rocky Mountains
    Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest both look as much of an American suburb as Willow Creek
    I always assumed Britechester was inspired in Boston (the whole Foxbury vs Britechester seems inspired in MIT v Harvard)
    Del Sol Valley is clearly inspired by Hollywood/LA
    Evergreen Harbor is based off industrial towns in the Northwestern United States
    Brindleton Bay is based on typical New England seafront towns.
    Granite Falls could be in any wooded area in the States or Canada.

The only worlds that are clearly inspired in places outside the US are Windemburg (Germany), Henford on Bagley (England), Tartosa (Croatia with other Mediterranean references), Mt. Komorebi (Japan), Sulani (Polynesia) and Selvadorada (Mexico with other Latin American references).

Britechester has always felt like Oxford, U.K. to me, but I can see how it could be a Boston/Ivy League world too. That one is kind of ambiguous.

Yes, no Sims worlds are exactly the same as actual real world locations. They probably designed Britechester Uni taking references from various Ivy League Universities as well as Oxbridge. Just like San Myshuno is kind of a mix between downtown San Francisco and several Eastern Asian Cities.

I am not getting an asian vibe from San Myshuno. To me it feels like New York.

San Myshuno reminds me of kind of a combination of Los Angeles and New York. The spice neighborhood reminds me off LA, where as some of the fancier neighborhoods remind me more of New York City, or maybe even Tokyo….. . San Myshuno could be so many places that resemble a melting pot.

Oasis Sorings reminds me a bit of the desert I grew up in, in California, only we didn’t have brooks and fishing areas like OA has, those were more along the valley ( with lots of tree’s ). The United States has so many different areas. Granite Falls reminds me of a national or State park in California, Strangerville reminds me of deserts in Arizona. Willow creek reminds me more of the south eastern States, Brindleton Bay reminds me of the north east coast of the United States. Del Sol Valley reminds of Hollywood wood/Rodeo Drive/and theSan Fernando. Britechester doesn’t remind me of the states, I think it was modeled after England.
    Windenburg, Tartosa, Henford on Bagley don’t remind me of the U.S. either, more of Europe. I think of Selvadorado as somewhere in Brazil or somewhere else in South America. I’m not sure what area inspired copperdale and moon wood mills ….. maybe mining towns in the North East or mid eastern states somewhere?? Or maybe areas in other countries?? Evergreen Harbor, I thought of as an older polluted area on the East coast somewhere that has been abandoned.

It’s funny how we kind of all have our own ideas of where sims towns are located….. lol
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    Ah I’m glad some agree! I mean no knock on America. It would be the same with England. We have contrast with our big cities, smaller cities/towns, the countryside/regency areas and the coast. After that it would all feel the same. If you’ve seen Birmingham you’ve seen Manchester etc.
    Id still like to see some of the more interesting American locales like Vegas and the bayous! Swamp sims would be amazing 😬

Yes! I want Casino’s…… please bring us Vegas or Monte Carlo!!
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I agree about the used to be worlds too. It would be nice to have jobs that are not white collar. I can understand that the werewolves might have destroyed the mill and ran off the owners. I can't understand why you can't have a mine and a high school in the same town. I grew up in a college town with a zinc mine. People joked about higher education being undermined all the time.
    My game could definitely use some variation in jobs, too. As much as I like the pun about "education being undermined", I think Werewolves would have been an even better opportunity to include a functional mine and a corresponding career, because werewolves are often depicted as weak against silver, which is a mineable substance. Introducing silver as a means for non-werewolves to defend themselves against them, similar to garlic versus vampires, would have been really cool, but surprisingly, the pack ignored the silver thing altogether.

SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Oasis Sorings reminds me a bit of the desert I grew up in, in California, only we didn’t have brooks and fishing areas like OA has, [...] Strangerville reminds me of deserts in Arizona.
    [...]
    It’s funny how we kind of all have our own ideas of where sims towns are located….. lol
    I always assumed Oasis Springs to be based on Arizona, and StrangerVille on Nevada (because of the whole secret lab in the desert / Area 51 vibe), but then again, I've never actually been to the US and only know it from depictions in media and what I've been told by others.
    If Britechester was designed to be British, that explains the canal boats that frequently pass by my sims house 🤣.
    I don’t know how well traveled all the dev’s are. I’m sure it’s probably easier to make a place that you are familiar with. And if they are like most of us in the U. S. many have lived in dorms in the states.
    edited March 2023
    can sims go to the bridge I wonder, or is it just another set dressing.

The big bridge is pretty much a place for cars to travel, although they may have a small area to walk across……. The bridges are pretty long though, and are mostly for commuting, so I’d say it would be mostly a set dressing.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    If Britechester was designed to be British, that explains the canal boats that frequently pass by my sims house 🤣.
    I don’t know how well traveled all the dev’s are. I’m sure it’s probably easier to make a place that you are familiar with. And if they are like most of us in the U. S. many have lived in dorms in the states.

I think they said they travel on location when they build a world, to get pictures and inspiration. They did that for Batuu.