Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life By You/ Paradox Tectonic [How to Manage a Household. PG. 5]

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
edited April 2023 in Off Topic Chat
A potential The Sims competitor from Paradox finally reveals the reveal of their game.
https://youtu.be/ZNhV-Gnjdy8

https://youtu.be/U9c3WEYTJIU

First impression?
Not quite feeling it.

Probably still in early development, but I think The Sims will have more style/smexiness than this.
But I welcome competition to the genre.

But what I mean by my impression is that when I first heard about Paradox probably making a Sims game, my immediate concern was the art style of their "Cims". The art style for people in their games have been on the cartoonish side, and I feared their Cims would look like refined versions of these from Cities Skylines.
Screenshot_2023-03-06_at_12-16-44_maxresdefault.jpg_(JPEG_Image_1280_720_pixels).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They didn't show the faces of their Cims, but I have a feeling I will prefer TS4/TS5 sims over theirs.

Cars, public transportation, open world (possibly?) I like that however.
We will get more info on March 20th. I would like to know about the game play.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
Post edited by CK213 on

Comments

• acdoobacdoob Posts: 6 New Member
    The game head is rod humble who was the executive producer for sims 2 and 3 so it'll probably be good. The official stream to show off the game is in like 2 weeks I think. Paradox is typically known for producing quality games. So I'd be surprised if it was a complete stinker.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited March 2023
    Judging by your username, you seem to be a crusader kings player, and even though it's a different branch of the studio, I hope their CK3 smooth aging mechanics carries over, I love it.
    M5f2Zul.jpg
    old pre release image, but you get the gist.

CK3 is already half way there as a simulation game tbh. Their genetics system is amazing. Some images from my game including the character creator
    MpW4bLC.png
    XtFq9o4.png
    gORjCM4.png

Anyway I'm really excited about Life By You ! (terrible name tho)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2023
    They also announced Cities Skylines II, coming this year. B)
    happyopi wrote: »
    Judging by your username, you seem to be a crusader kings player, and even though it's a different branch of the studio, I hope their CK3 smooth aging mechanics carries over, I love it.
    M5f2Zul.jpg
    old pre release image, but you get the gist.

CK3 is already half way there as a simulation game tbh. Their genetics system is amazing. Some images from my game including the character creator
    MpW4bLC.png
    XtFq9o4.png
    gORjCM4.png

Anyway I'm really excited about Life By You ! (terrible name tho)

The name is just a coincidence. :D
    I have the game, but I never played it, like other titles in my Steam Library.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2023
    I've been waiting for this game reveal for years!

Considering it's Rod Humble and it's a studio under Paradox Interactive, I can't really imagine it could ever be a bad game. Paradox studios are renowned for making fantastic and incredibly in-depth simulation games. Plus, as shown above, while it's a different development studio, PDS has already created very impressive character models complete with aging and a genetics system. So making great looking sims won't be the problem. I'd expect that it would mostly just come down to personal taste. But I adore CK3's character models so I wouldn't be apposed to going in that direction in the slightest.

I'm trying to be reserved with my expectations, of course, but I expect a lot from Paradox. I'm expecting a game that is deeper and richer than the Sims, and possibly even a little bit more bold in the implementation of its ideas.

I am so, so excited to see more details!

Edit: I also think Life by You is a terrible name, though.
    Post edited by Monday on
    a63ftuN.png
    edited March 2023
    Monday wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this game reveal for years!

Considering it's Rod Humble and it's a studio under Paradox Interactive, I can't really imagine it could ever be a bad game. Paradox studios are renowned for making fantastic and incredibly in-depth simulation games. Plus, as shown above, while it's a different development studio, PDX has already created very impressive character models complete with aging and a genetics system. So making great looking sims won't be the problem. I'd expect that it would mostly just come down to personal taste. But I adore CK3's character models so I wouldn't be apposed to going in that direction in the slightest.

I'm trying to be reserved with my expectations, of course, but I expect a lot from Paradox. I'm expecting a game that is deeper and richer than the Sims, and possibly even a little bit more bold in the implementation of its ideas.

I am so, so excited to see more details!

Edit: I also think Life by You is a terrible name, though.

It should be exciting to see what they are bringing to the genre.
    I am looking forward to the 20th. This is great timing for EA too, since they are still working on TS5.
    They have time to react.

Whatever they are working on for TS5, I hope it isn't something that's going to be rejected like Sim City.
    Otherwise, we may have a repeat of the Sim City demise/Cities Skylines arise fiasco.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2023
    My first impression is that I expected the "cims" (I think that's what they are called) to have more detail, they look rather small and low detailed, it could be because the game looks very ambitious in terms of scale, it basically looks like cities skylines but you are able to build the houses in detail, which you can't do in cities skylines.

It doesn't seem to run very well in the trailer either, but optimization from what I understand comes later in development so it will hopefully run and maybe even look better as they will keep developing it.

Other than that, the world, the art style and the graphics look pretty good, not too realistic and not too cartoony, this game could offer something that a lot of people have missed since the sims 3, an open world where you can build and travel anywhere you like with cars and buses and build your own world with your own "cims".

I do hope that it will be good and successful, successful life simulator games could get more developers to give the genre a try, or make them interested to add more elements of it in their other games.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2023
    CK213 wrote: »
    A potential The Sims competitor from Paradox finally reveals the reveal of their game.
    https://youtu.be/noM0fV4pyQY?t=1005

First impression?
    Not quite feeling it.

Probably still in early development, but I think The Sims will have more style/smexiness than this.

But what I mean by my impression is that when I first heard about Paradox probably making a Sims game, my immediate concern was the art style of their "Cims". The art style for people in their games have been on the cartoonish side, and I feared their Cims would look like refined versions of these from Cities Skylines.
    Screenshot_2023-03-06_at_12-16-44_maxresdefault.jpg_(JPEG_Image_1280_720_pixels).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They didn't show the faces of their Cims, but I have a feeling I will prefer TS4/TS5 sims over theirs.

The CIMS are placeholders. If you think people meant to be viewed from 1000 ft in the air is the detail they will have in the "Sims" game... that's a GRAVE mistake.
    The game definitely looks MORE detailed than Sims 4.

Now, let's see if Life By You will do to Sims 4 what Cities Skylines did to SimCity, aka mug it of it's lunch money, give it a toilet swirly and then stuff it in it's locker where it now has been hiding since 2013.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    Very interesting and exciting! It's obviously in early development, but seeing the open world makes me want to dance! :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    https://youtu.be/noM0fV4pyQY?t=1005

First impression?
    Not quite feeling it.

The CIMS are placeholders. If you think people meant to be viewed from 1000 ft in the air is the detail they will have in the "Sims" game... that's a GRAVE mistake.

Also, we'll see if this does to Sims what Cities: Skylines did to Sim City (aka mugged it and took it's lunch money before locking it in it's locker).

Not what I meant, but whatever.
    I am more referring to what I saw in their trailer. They seem like higher poly versions of that art style.
    Cororon wrote: »
    Very interesting and exciting! It's obviously in early development, but seeing the open world makes me want to dance! :smile:

Those motorcycles, on the sidewalk... B)
    I am getting TS3 vibes from this.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Paradox doing a Sims game. Oh yes :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I can't say I'm excited yet, but definitely interested. I hope it's similar enough to the Sims to be good competition, but different enough that I might want to play both.
  • cholesterolcholesterol Posts: 21 Member
    Fist of all, I hate the name. Life by You… it sounds like some generic celebrity perfume, e.g. Fetish by Christina Aguilera. It‘s just not catchy and memorable. It‘s a tagline at best. I hope they come up with a better name.

I‘m not in love with the art style and animations. I looks very TS3 to me and TS3 was released in 2009. This may not be the final look though so I’m not judging (yet).

That being said I’m very happy about the announcement. I can‘t wait for March 20th. I hope they will post some more teasers on their YouTube until then. We have been waiting patiently for years. We deserve some treats.

I think this game is going to be fun. Paradox is known to make quality games and Rod Humble is… well, Rod Humble. He‘s one on the few people in the industry that gets what makes The Sims so special.

Also: CARS!!!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Looks like a ghost town. Where is everybody? The beach looks fantastic though, wish I was there. :smile:
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Random thoughts:

* the name sounds like a product in a Black Mirror episode that comes to life and replaces you

* I'm hopeful that Rod Humble expands on all of the great ideas from The Sims 3 that the Sims 4 team was too afraid of / tried to convince us we didn't want

* the neighborhood shots look pretty cool and give me hope

* I wish they had worked more on those Cims before showing us this. They move like Duplos.

So far, I'm more excited for this than for Paralives. I'm happy The Sims has what appears to be some competent competition now. It needs a better name.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

They also announced Cities Skylines II, coming this year. B)

I am super excited about this. Based on the trailer preview, seasons have been added and I love that. The details look great. Although I will need to see the traffic algorithm in action before I jump for joy. 😄

I am also excited to see additional info on Life by You. Paradox has put out some great stuff, and hearing that Rod Humble is involved gives me hope that there will be some great gameplay. Waiting for more info to drop on the 20th.

• Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    Very excited. It's still very early development but this looks very interesting, there's so much potential... 🙂
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    It looks a lot more interesting to me than paralives did and it seems to be on console too..

But personally I am not looking for an alternative. I think that most people into these games are longtime sims fans looking for something more like the old games with a bit more strategy.

But I’m new to sims 4 and pretty happy with the dollshouse happy life approach. I’m not really looking to be stressed when I play these games. I don’t think I’d get much enjoyment out of a ‘base game’ and want my sims to be celebrities and vampires and go places etc etc.

But it’s worth keeping an eye on at least. I know there’s people who do want something like this.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I think it looks very promising. I see what appears to be an open world, cars, and public transit. Also, I tend to lean more towards a realistic art style, so it looks pretty good here. However, I don't see much on the Sims. I guess I'll have to wait until the 20th to find out.

I'm a big fan of Cities: Skylines. It is so well done, and I expect that Life By You will be a massive improvement over The Sims; much as Skylines is to Sim City 4 (I never bothered with Sim City 5).

I hope we get what we've gotten in previous Sims games and more. I am definitely hoping for maps/towns that are more rural as well. My main hope is that even if they are rabbit holes, I'm hoping for absolutely zero set dressing as we have in TS4 with 3/4 of the structures in a neighborhood being absolutely useless space hogs.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I've said this elsewhere, but this does have me curious. I never played any of Paradox's video games, but I am a long time World of Darkness TTRPG player... from before Paradox bought White Wolf.

How is this relevant? I've always kinda wished that the Occults in the Sims were a bit more in line with the World of Darkness' denizens. Now here comes a life sim game from the company that owns the IP of said denizens.

I know a lot of people don't care for occults, but I like them. Love them, even. And being able to play my favorite versions of them in a life sim (or Unlife sim, as the case may be with Vampire) has definate appeal.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I've said this elsewhere, but this does have me curious. I never played any of Paradox's video games, but I am a long time World of Darkness TTRPG player... from before Paradox bought White Wolf.

How is this relevant? I've always kinda wished that the Occults in the Sims were a bit more in line with the World of Darkness' denizens. Now here comes a life sim game from the company that owns the IP of said denizens.

I know a lot of people don't care for occults, but I like them. Love them, even. And being able to play my favorite versions of them in a life sim (or Unlife sim, as the case may be with Vampire) has definate appeal.

It will be interesting what they do about occults.
    I don't think they were his favorite thing as I remember simmers discussing his preference for realism.
    I wonder what they will do, as not having them might make Life By You different from The Sims.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Life By You indicates a level of control we don't have in Sims 4, so I'm interested to see if they deliver on that promise. Otherwise, like I've said before, you had me at Rod Humble.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

It will be interesting what they do about occults.
    I don't think they were his favorite thing as I remember simmers discussing his preference for realism.
    I wonder what they will do, as not having them might make Life By You different from The Sims.

I guess none of us can say for sure what other games will and won’t have..

But I will say I think a lot of people take the sheer amount of sims content for granted. It will take a long time for any of these new games to even come close to the amount of things you can do in the sims 3 or 4.

I get the impression online that a lot of people are just assuming the grass is greener, but personally I’m just expecting base game experiences from this and paralives, and probably a lengthy delay before anything like occults and spas and vacations and active careers etc if they even plan them at all.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

There's an interesting interview with Mr. Humble in PCGames . (Not sure if I am allowed to link to it, so I won't). It's dated March 2020. He talks about his new game without talking about his new game.

Taken directly from the interview:
    " We’re mirroring what Paradox is about, which is making games that respect the intelligence of the audience, and which also embrace mods."
    " We’re trying to make a very vast experience in which, hopefully, people will find and create beauty."
    "The other thing we’re trying to do from a gameplay perspective is make a very, very deep game. In fact, maybe the deepest game I’ve ever worked on..."
    " In fact, the idea – particularly with our new project – is when you hit a fail state we’re going to give you an opportunity to see a really cool story, so you might even want to try and engineer a fail state, just because it’s really cool and it will open up new gameplay."

I am so looking forward to getting more information on this.