Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have these "fears of a dead end job" been effecting anyone else a little more lately?

ashleyrosey06ashleyrosey06 Posts: 95 Member
I don't know if it was this latest patch update, but I haven't seen any severe effects of the "fears and wants" update until now??

I just hopped on tonight and jumped into my cop sim's household, which happened to be mid-morning in sim's time, so of course he's late for work (rotational play nightmares, lol). So I just send him to work, but when he returns, both the tense and sad buffs are there. I'm just thinking he had a rough day at the station since I couldn't 'join him at work'. Nope.... he has the tense "looming anxiety" and sadness from a "passionless job" buffs because of his FEAR of a dead-end job!

This is the first time I'm seeing this, so I thought it had to be a result of the tardiness?? (maybe he got chewed out by his co-chief and suddenly regrets his life now?) Either way, I'm not having that. I worked too hard to get him finally promoted to Chief to be burnt out already! So I quit without saving, log back in and play a different household so my cop-sim will hopefully be at work in the background and solve the problem... So I now send the 2nd household's sim to work by 10am and on-time, but once he comes home, the same tense buff from "fear of a dead end job" appears.

Okay? Maybe its just a highest-rank burnout thing then (One is the Police Chief and the other, the CEO)... Take 3: I try one more household without quitting this time. Low and behold.... the R.N. has the same two buffs as the first after her shift was already done.

Is this just a super-important-workers-are-regretting-their-life update, and we just have to get our sims out of it? Or is every employed sim suddenly succumbing to the times? I already feel like this now irl, I don't want to have to drag my virtual self out of it too LOL!

In Simlish, we don't say "I love you." We say "Habadu Bashubi", which roughly translates to "I can't move because there is furniture in my way." I think that's absolutely beautiful.• ORIGIN ID: ashleyrosey06 •Ts2 is superior... change my mind ;)
Post edited by ashleyrosey06 on

Comments

• NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited September 2022
    My Sim definitely has the fear, but Regina is a Uni student who did work in retail but quit that job for the even more part time barista so she could attend lectures etc. It almost makes sense in her case.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member
    Yeah, many of mine are getting the fear of a dead end job fear too. I did notice last time I was on a couple of days ago, that they mention a way to alleviate the fear ( I can’t remember if I put the cursed over the fear, ot if the message just appeared there and I read it…… I hadn’t noticed that before.

I have a couple of sims I don’t want to move up in there jobs. I want Jade to stay as a receptionist in one of my games. My thought is that she has less responsibility by not moving up, and more time to enjoy herself…..I haven’t played her since the wants/fears. I think the fears are annoying in many cases. It takes away the way I want to play some sims. I actually preferred just having whims that I could play when I wanted to. It didn’t conflict with the way I played my sims. I just wish they would have updated the whims for each of the packs that we used. Not all of my sims always want to turn off the stereo and turn it back on to a new channel every 5 minutes to take care of a want ( because they don’t really want that ). Some of my sims do like to listen to music and even dance on their own….. but not all of my sims…. Lol.

I love the active careers, and don’t mind the objectives of the careers at all. But now the Dev’s are taking away the way I want to play certain sims…… that I don’t like. I know I can turn off wants and fears, but then my sims can’t earn points for potions and such. I personally wish they would just let us go back to whims if we want to.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,420 Member
    I had the fear of dead end job pop up as well. I forgot to turn off wants and fears when I started my game (after turning it off dozens of times already) my sim is currently a sim in black, at the top of the military career with 2 additional pay raises. In my mind she is very happy where she is in her professional career so I quit without saving.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,070 Member
    My sim self is at the top of the entertainer career (musician branch) and generates the fear of dead end job every other day. Is it time for him to call it quits in that career?
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    My sim was level 10 in the Science career, and he had that fear. I found it kind of odd to have that fear when you've reached the top of your career.

Before they go to work, you can click on them and there is an option to "regain passion" (or something like that). That fixed it for me.

In my sim's case, he eventually aged to an elder and I had him retire. I rotated out of the household so I don't know much else beyond that.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited September 2022
    I have seen it ever since they updated the game with Wants and Fears. My sims get hit by fear of dead-end job and unfulfilled dreams all the time.

It's becoming incredibly repetitive. I really don't like that these are so unbalanced.

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,843 Member
  • ashleyrosey06ashleyrosey06 Posts: 95 Member
    My sim was level 10 in the Science career, and he had that fear. I found it kind of odd to have that fear when you've reached the top of your career.

Before they go to work, you can click on them and there is an option to "regain passion" (or something like that). That fixed it for me.

In my sim's case, he eventually aged to an elder and I had him retire. I rotated out of the household so I don't know much else beyond that.

I've heard from some the "regain passion" option is at least a temporary fix, but it's better than nothing! I'll have to try it next time I play, thank you :)
    In Simlish, we don't say "I love you." We say "Habadu Bashubi", which roughly translates to "I can't move because there is furniture in my way." I think that's absolutely beautiful.• ORIGIN ID: ashleyrosey06 •Ts2 is superior... change my mind ;)
  • ashleyrosey06ashleyrosey06 Posts: 95 Member

That's good to know its a bug and not just the game causing constant suffering lol! Thanks for the heads up!
  • EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    I dont understand why it's constantly a thing for mine, they regain and days later.. back again.. Is there something now that randomly generates what career a Sim considers their ideal now or what? It certainly doesnt seem trait-based for the most part.. :/
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The biggest annoyance with this bug is it happens to Sims who aren't employed or quit the 9 to 5 rat race to pursue other ways to make money. If one isn't employed how does that fear get triggered? I just hope it gets fixed in the new update. :/
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I don't know if it was this latest patch update, but I haven't seen any severe effects of the "fears and wants" update until now??

I just hopped on tonight and jumped into my cop sim's household, which happened to be mid-morning in sim's time, so of course he's late for work (rotational play nightmares, lol). So I just send him to work, but when he returns, both the tense and sad buffs are there. I'm just thinking he had a rough day at the station since I couldn't 'join him at work'. Nope.... he has the tense "looming anxiety" and sadness from a "passionless job" buffs because of his FEAR of a dead-end job!

This is the first time I'm seeing this, so I thought it had to be a result of the tardiness?? (maybe he got chewed out by his co-chief and suddenly regrets his life now?) Either way, I'm not having that. I worked too hard to get him finally promoted to Chief to be burnt out already! So I quit without saving, log back in and play a different household so my cop-sim will hopefully be at work in the background and solve the problem... So I now send the 2nd household's sim to work by 10am and on-time, but once he comes home, the same tense buff from "fear of a dead end job" appears.

Okay? Maybe its just a highest-rank burnout thing then (One is the Police Chief and the other, the CEO)... Take 3: I try one more household without quitting this time. Low and behold.... the R.N. has the same two buffs as the first after her shift was already done.

Is this just a super-important-workers-are-regretting-their-life update, and we just have to get our sims out of it? Or is every employed sim suddenly succumbing to the times? I already feel like this now irl, I don't want to have to drag my virtual self out of it too LOL!

I wonder if it came with the update that came with the Snowy Escapes neighborhood, you know, with the Career Sim trait and those things.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I dont understand why it's constantly a thing for mine, they regain and days later.. back again.. Is there something now that randomly generates what career a Sim considers their ideal now or what? It certainly doesnt seem trait-based for the most part.. :/

The same reason that every sim was rolling the want to own a bee box after Seasons came out, even Penny Pizazz who had absolutely nothing to do with gardening.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes, and it's really annoying! My Sim will literally come home with a promotion, but still have the "dead end job" issue.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    edited March 2023
    I resolved the problem by installing a mod that simply removes all fear. This way I can tend to the Wants when the moment arrives to make it possible to fulfill them and gain the points. But, I thought one of the last patches was to correct this thing? So glad I didn't remove aforementioned mod, that much is certain. I was honestly waiting for my young Rock Star, Global Superstar to get said fear. He's as happy as a clam? (And by the way, how do we even know if clams have emotions?) LOL Yeah, I'm so not sold on the Wishes & Fears thing. At all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • witch_hammerswitch_hammers Posts: 50 Member
    I have a sim that gets this fear every time he comes back from work. As soon as he would get rid of it he would get it back the next day. I just started removing it with the UI cheats mod and he still comes home with it every time.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @GalacticGal Could you share the mod creator's name with us? The constant notifications are driving me a bit nuts. What's the harm in adding another tuning mod to the 73 I am currently using? :D
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I had 3 sims doing part time jobs and at least one would have this pretty much every sim day. Drove me crazy.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 545 Member
    There are some things I like about the wants and fears system, but the Fear of Dead End job finally convinced me to turn the system off. For sims with inactive careers they had an endless cycle of Fear Dead End Job, Regain Passion the next work day, develop Fear of Dead End Job again the next work day after that. Didn't matter if they were getting promoted or not. That I could put up with, though grudgingly. The straw that broke the camel's back was the affect on the Interior Decorator career. You could get a Fear of Dead End even if you went with them to their job, but you had to send them in by themselves in order to dispel it.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    My sims always end up getting it, doesn't matter what sim nor what career or what level. Just go to work a few days and then they have the fear.

Annoying when you want them to progress but them being tense all the time prevent them from getting a promotion.

It's not balanced at all and it seems like they have abandoned it, just like updating the townies/ houses (although I'm not happy with the Goth makeover and I don't want them to change any other sims looks, I still want them to update sims with skills, relationships, characters vales and update base games homes and earlier packs), refreshing packs like they did with Spa Day, updating neighbourhood stories and basically anything else they say will come that never will.

They seem like me, I'm impulsive and do things on a whim and plan out things to just abandon them but at least that only affect me. Not a bunch of people who build expectations and look forward to said thing.

I'm still hoping for them to update Dine Out so our sims can work at them and even have the owner/ household sims do the jobs that we have to hire sims for.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • RoseQuartzRoseQuartz Posts: 164 Member
    Yes, constantly. (I hit "Me too" @ EA Answers.)
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    edited March 2023
    If you're not opposed to mods or on console, there is a mod by TearsofTyr on Curse Forge.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 78 Member
    I've turned the wants and fears off in my new save and the toggle works. My older save I have to keep turning the toggle on and off again every time I load the game
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I didnt realiese you could turn wants and fears off. Thank goodness, its been driving me potty that my sims are constantly angry all the time. Also they refuse to do anything for more then a minute, even with autonomy off, as they are too busy stomping around their houses!