Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Science Babies

Comments

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think with the science baby, I would pretend the whole process takes longer. For instance, you could spend a day decorating the nursery and another having a baby shower. Before that, you could have a day out with the intended donor or surrogate having some deep conversations with them. Clicking on the phone could represent just the final stage in the process.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I think with the science baby, I would pretend the whole process takes longer. For instance, you could spend a day decorating the nursery and another having a baby shower. Before that, you could have a day out with the intended donor or surrogate having some deep conversations with them. Clicking on the phone could represent just the final stage in the process.

In the livestream they showed Eliza going to the hospital for the science baby. I wonder if people who have Get to work EP installed get to see the baby being made at the hospital or something?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,958 Member
    edited March 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »

In the livestream they showed Eliza going to the hospital for the science baby. I wonder if people who have Get to work EP installed get to see the baby being made at the hospital or something?

I wish it did but it seems rather unlikely
    unless there is gonna be GTW refresh then i could see them adding some baby machine thing while at it 😂
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited March 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    • Have a baby without woohoo

Perfect for the non-woohooable NPC like Grim Reaper.

I'm curious to know if it will work with ghosts.

• sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    Finally! Yes, I love this.

I think it's a pretty logical deduction that the Sims live in a world far more advanced than ours. They have interstellar travel, cloning technology, and multiple ways to resurrect the dead. So why wouldn't they have technologies we've had since the 1970s like IVF and surrogacy? This would be good for the many lesbian and gay couples in the game, but also elders who still want children (I'm looking at you, Denis Kim and Vivian Lewis). Sure, they could adopt, but the way adoption works in TS4, it also creates a townie family in the bin and that poor family loses their child, plus about four other spare families that don't get used. It's not like you're providing Marsha Bruenig or Orlando Bertino a home when they didn't have one before.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I wonder if modders can find a way to make pregnancy an option with science babies depending on if the sim can carry babies or not. 🤔
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    It doesn't really bother me but It seems like science has speed up the womb process. For storytelling proposes, If there's ever a Get To Work refresh maybe sims could visit the science lab to view baby formation over a number of days.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I think science babies are a very good feature to add to the game. It allows for a lot of different stories. It would have been nice if there was an option to let the player choose to experience a pregnancy for the science baby or a waiting time.
  • DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    I love the look of this pack the fact that you can have a science baby and the family dynamics are awesome not to mention the world we will be getting also so happy I pre-ordered this EP can’t wait to play it once I get home from my hospital appointment on Thursday afternoon 😆 can’t play on Wednesday as I’ll be at work when it is released. Hope all you simmers have a good time tho 😊
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I think science babies are a very good feature to add to the game. It allows for a lot of different stories. It would have been nice if there was an option to let the player choose to experience a pregnancy for the science baby or a waiting time.

Maybe they had to choose one or the other due to time constraints and picked the one that's most versatile.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I just had an interesting thought. Since in CAS we can set become pregnant or make pregnant, why not toss a coin or roll the dice to see which one gets to carry the child?

That definitely works for some situations, and I have used that in the past, but it doesn't work for every situation you could imagine. For example, if you want a scenario where two platonic best friends are going to coparent (Note to devs: this would actually make a great scenario!), you might not want them to woohoo, even as platonic Woohoo Partners. (I would absolutely not woohoo with any of my best friends IRL, regardless of gender or orientation.) Or if you are imagining that, say, Bob and Eliza are having fertility issues, the science baby would allow them the option of the sims equivalent of IVF. Or maybe you have a couple where both of the women are bisexual; if they split up later, they might both want to still be set to "can become pregnant" if they start extended families with male partners down the road.

I mean, there are workarounds already, but for me, the benefit of Science Babies, and the thing that made me momentarily very excited and happy, was the ability to easily do what previously had to be done through cheats, jumping in and out of CAS, making gameplay choices I didn't want, etc. Sure, either way, you would still use your imagination to fill in some of the gaps, but science babies has so much potential to unlock richer gameplay. Which is what makes it sad that it comes with such a massive downside.

Basically, the option of having the pregnancy experience is fundamental for me. And I don't think that's so unusual. After all, there are lots of people in real life who want the life experience of pregnancy, and not all of them are straight cis women in committed relationships with no fertility issues.

Who knows but that may be patched in later? I know that's not much solace for now, and I hear you about having to jump through hoops, so I sympathize with you. I really do.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Sims disappear into a rabbit hole and come back with a newborn. Like adoption except the newborn is genetically linked to the parent(s).

You also don't need a pregnant sim to throw a baby shower, so could throw one either before or after having a Science Baby.

If you want the pregnancy experience with a romantic partner you still have the option to temporarily change the pregnancy setting is CAS. Science Baby has way more uses.
    • Have a baby without a partner (this is possibly a clone newborn).
    • Have a baby via genetic material donation from a friend.
    • Have and raise a baby with your best friend or platonic life partner.
    • Have a baby with an infertile sim? (like paying to get IVF, this might be possible).
    • Have a baby with a donor-surrogate without cheating.
    • Have a genetic baby with a same-sex or trans partner in a lab-assisted way, but without pregnancy.
    • Have a baby without woohoo (great for aro/ace sims/couples who don't woohoo/can't try for baby, but want genetic kids).
    • Have a baby without losing/slowing career progress (pregnant sims can't do certain things required by job tasks in physical jobs).
    • Have a baby without ruining your figure (great for vain sims or sims in performance careers like acting as body changes happen with sim pregnancy).
    • Have a baby with genetics different from your romantic partner, without cheating (this could also include occult kids for a human couple etc).
    • Have a baby quicker than normal (great for short life span, or while on a rotation schedule)

This kind of underscores my point, though. You've presented 11 potential scenarios... not quite an exhaustive list, but close. In all but 3 (or maybe, at most, though this is debatable, 4 of them), it would make more sense to have a pregnancy.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I wonder if modders can find a way to make pregnancy an option with science babies depending on if the sim can carry babies or not. 🤔

Although I usually prefer not to use mods, I hope so.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    With MCCC, you can already "start pregnancy" with another random sim. I would have to double check but I think you get the choice of any sim on the same lot.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    Science baby made me super excited for the new update. I don't mind lack of pregnancy. It's not my favorite part of sim life anyway and my sims also rarely have kids at all. But I think it's an awesome addition for those who have settings to can't get pregnant/can't get others pregnant. I play with a few trans sims and personally seeing them pregnant would break the immersion for me. It's also a personal choice, because I dislike pregnancy IRL and would never go through this myself (nor would I sentenced my fav sims). For those who are excited to have pregnant characters, there are plenty of options like going into CAS and setting their preferences accordingly.

Science baby is the option for people who want a genetic kid without the experience of big belly for realism or just because they are not thrilled by the whole process. I didn't expect this part of the base game update and I'm happy that developers are thinking about all types of players, including those that physically cannot or simply don't want to be pregnant, but want to have baby genetically connected to parents. Now, please, let's fix the base game/Spa Day nails for trans sims and I will be a happy camper. :)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member

Maybe they had to choose one or the other due to time constraints and picked the one that's most versatile.

Versatile is an interesting word. It certainly allows a lot of stories but it also means players have to play make believe if they want to tell an IVF story. Having a science baby with pregnancy allows a different story than a science baby without. This versatile option does not work for everything. I think having players choosing who carries the baby would have been more complex but I think players could have handled it.

For stories with IVF I will rely on mccc to get sims pregnant and experience a pregnancy. For stories with a surrogate mother I will use science babies. Most of the babies in my game are created the traditional way anyway. My sims like to woohoo ;).

But despite the instant no pregnancy choice made by the designers science babies are still a nice addition to the game. It does not cover all stories but allows more than we had before.
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    We already have the ability to experience pregnancy through different sex couples or same sex couples. This is finally a way to have genetic babies without woohoo or pregnancy. It is the only thing I'm really excited about. And as usual, people are complaining about it.
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Im just wracking my brain trying to think of the weirdest 2 people I can encourage to have a baby!
    Judith Ward and Greg?
    Vlad and Bob Pancakes??
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,958 Member
    edited March 2023
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    Im just wracking my brain trying to think of the weirdest 2 people I can encourage to have a baby!
    Judith Ward and Greg?
    Vlad and Bob Pancakes??

How about, Vlad and Greg :sunglasses:
    yeah, I don't think they would appreciate the idea, worth a try though :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited March 2023
    Yeah, I'm a little sad that you don't actually see a pregnancy, as I think the pregnancy stage is really cute. I probably won't use the feature because of this, but it's not like everyone will mind, so I'm glad for the people that will use it. It could make great stories. :)
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member

I think they might have chosen this option, because it’s simpler in terms of coding.

If they had implemented the option of a visible pregnancy then if you played for instance a male couple and you wanted to tell the story that they were good friends with let’s say Bella (as she was used in the stream a lot) and they made arrangements with her that she would carry their baby, then the game would have to recognize that this baby couldn’t stay with her and Mortimer upon delivery. And if say you have GtW then you’d probably like there to be the option of having your male couple accompany Bella to the hospital for the delivery, but it would also mean more coding and again for the game to recognize that the baby should then be transferred to your male couple and not to stay with Bella. Also if you chose to switch households during the time of the pregnancy, and wanted to have her have the baby at the hospital, it might complicate things further in terms of the game having to remember that this baby should actually be handed over to your male couple instead.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t have made for some sweet and heartwarming gameplay that would have allowed players to play out these types of stories to the fullest, but I also think it would have made the coding part a lot more complicated, and they came up with a solution that enables you to create something along the lines of those stories, but in a way which was easier for them to implement.
  • pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 78 Member
    I have a sim ready for this. I'm looking forward to the science babies .I don't really like seeing my gay males pregnant
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Maybe it's just me but I prefer this option. You can already change who can/can't get pregnant and such, which allows a lot of options with pregnancy (though I know not all). There is no way to have a genetic baby without pregnancy at all so I'm happy to have this. The only thing I'd change is having to wait a few days, like you go in, then a few days later you get the baby. Though I can see that being a potential issue with household sizes and such so I get it.

It could be nice to have a second option as 'get pregnant with science baby', then choose sim to get pregnant and optional other sim.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,332 EA Community Manager
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    First off, I want to say that I love this addition, and I am very excited about the gameplay opportunities this will add. I'm looking forward to using it in my game, and also I'm looking forward to all the creative ways everyone else will find to use it.

That being said, I was a little sad that in the livestream, it sounded like they said that the science babies just instantly appear as soon as you make the selection.

@EA_Cade, can you clarify whether that is correct or whether I just misheard/misunderstood? And if it is the case, I would be very appreciative if you could pass on the concerns below.

My concern... and I want to be very clear, with this particular group of developers, I don't think this would be at all intentional, and could just be an oversight, which is why I wanted to point it out.. but it makes it feel like the message is that our single parents by choice, or same sex couples, or platonic besties who decide to co-parent, don't deserve the full experience of a pregnancy, baby showers, birth in a hospital, and all the usual things that go into preparing to have a baby. And that makes me a little sad.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am thrilled that the team was thoughtful enough to include this option, which we haven't seen in previous Sims games (outside of cheats or mods), so I am hoping that either I misunderstood or this is something that could be tweaked.

Hey!

Just popping in to let you know that I did see this and I'm not ignoring it, I'm just making sure any info I share is accurate before I share it here. :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png