Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Growing Together Negative Thread

Comments

• sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    i liked the livestream but the part that deepen relationships between sims is linked to likes and dislikes…. which are not automatically attributed to residential sims outside our household lmao… which mean that whenever the player is out their house, maybe at a café or something, the game will probably harass the player with pop ups to confirm new likes and dislikes to other townies in order to apply the social dynamics. so it would be something like « bella goth just talked about romantic subject. Does bella goth likes romantic subject ? »

Which means the game needs to player input on everything again, which increase the micro management and breaks immersion… so i don’t know. i was already tired of pop ups asking me if X sims liked fitness whenever i would bring my household to the gym i’m not sure i want add another layer of said pop ups (which increase lag by the way) on the daily. i just wish they did that without the pop up. unless it’s my household i don’t care. immerse me by default in the game, don’t make me chose for every single townie lol
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited March 2023
    I also regret that the parents are still distant to their child.

In term of activities we are still far from the childhood in The Sims 2.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    As a whole, I’m pretty excited for the pack.

But I’m somewhat disappointed in the world. I just feel like it needed at least two more lots and maybe townhouses/row houses. I don’t know if it’s possible to not be disappointed in the world’s moving forward.

I feel like there should be more than 4 midlife crisis. It’s just gonna get repetitive.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I general I'm really excited for this pack. And I think that the things I'm a little worried about not showing up in the livestream, like family tree fixes/recognizing family, may show up in the pack or bg and were part of the things that didn't make the livestream cut bc of time.

But one thing I am kind of disappointed by, that was shown in the livestream, was that they showed they didn't bother to fix the best friends thing and instead reinforced it with their friendship bracelets only being able to be given to one Sim at a time.

It's bizarre. The SimGuru in the sloth suit said that it was because "you know, you can only have one best friend." And I just thought, why wouldn't you have fixed that with this pack. You are changing relationships, and deepening every lifestage. But you really still think people, and thus sims, can only have 1 best friend? Even just speaking in terms of gameplay that reduces the types of stories you can tell.

You can't have a group of people who are all best friends or even all close friends. At best you can have individuals who are close friends. A few of them can be bffs with eachother, and then put them in a group to hang out. That's it. You have to do so many separate gameplay elements.
    And if one of those close friends asks to be your BFF and you already have one, you can't say yes without losing the previous one. And your only other option is "No way!" Which lowers your friendship.

Now they're adding friendship bracelets. And making it so that if you give one friend a bracelet and not the other, they'll be jealous. But they literally won't let you give all your friends bracelets. Idk what kinds of childhoods they had, but growing up for me exchanging friendship bracelets was a sign of being friends. Usually close ones. But by no means was it exclusive.
    The only jealousy might be that some kids ended up with an arm full bc they were popular and well liked.
    If you had a bff you might exchange a necklace or a bracelet with that on it. If you had 2 and they weren't bffs you would wear both. If you had 2(+) and you All were bffs you would have something matching. It wasn't that hard. And the friendships were real.

Sometimes it was actually making lanyards for eachother's backpacks but I digress.

I have always found this dynamic so weird. Like ok you push monogamy a lot. But seriously you're pushing 1 best friend so hard that you can only make a single friendship bracelet and it causes a bunch of angst? At least until it falls off, and you start it all over again with a new one. What was the point of that?

Also bffs can change over time. Especially as you age. This honestly could have been something, a system that starts in childhood, for this pack. Especially since it looks like that's when the bracelets start. They could've made it so that as you're making your first friends you are experiencing the highs and lows of this. Maybe the bff you had from childhood, that you maybe knew from infanthood bc your parents were friends, fell out with you in high school. Now you're making new friends and the ones you make in high school are actually forever. And it's more than one.
    And those are milestones. 1st BFF. BFF breakup 💔. New friendship after loss of a friend. True bffs . Idk.

Just that little scene they did, showing us the friendship bracelet kit, them exchanging it all cute, and then going her actual close friend will be so hurt, and also we're gonna ask for it back now. And you can also only ever give out one at a time. It was like so weird. It's like how you can't be snow bros with multiple ppl. Just because the label is the same doesn't mean the relationship feels the exact same. You're all different people. The way you relate will be different, the reasons you are friends will be different. You're perfectly capable of being friends, and sustaining deep relationships with multiple people. So of course you can have multiple bffs. 🙄
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2023
    How is it that I am more excited for the base game update than the expansion pack lol??? :D

Nothing really interested me in that livestream I was quite bored. To be honest I'm quite sick of their emphasis on the worlds (especially in the Sims 4 when they are just set dressing) a considerable amount of that stream was showing off lots and exploring the world which is littered with shells and a rabbit hole... I rarely buy packs solely for the world, I want new experiences and I feel like the additions in this pack fall flat, which seems to be the usual thing now. Also the Kyle thing is just weird.

I will say this does look a whole lot better than High School Years though so that is a positive.
    Post edited by gc6164 on
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited March 2023
    I wasn't really blown away by the livestream sadly.

I think a big part of their budget for this EP mainly went into the development of the infant life stage, not so much in a general Generations pack.

I am positively surprised though that they added changing tables after all and that toddlers can use them too, but personally I had hoped for a bit more stuff. For example canes for elders would have been perfect to add in this pack and I don't understand why such an obvious thing wasn't added.. also it bothers me in general that Sims 4 EP's lack gameplay objects. They always feel really empty when it comes to actual gameplay objects.

Also the world... Come on... The shells. Everywhere... They could and should have added more lots. The performance excuse is nonsense imo.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    LSM36 wrote: »
    It's bizarre. The SimGuru in the sloth suit said that it was because "you know, you can only have one best friend." And I just thought, why wouldn't you have fixed that with this pack. You are changing relationships, and deepening every lifestage. But you really still think people, and thus sims, can only have 1 best friend? Even just speaking in terms of gameplay that reduces the types of stories you can tell.

You can't have a group of people who are all best friends or even all close friends. At best you can have individuals who are close friends. A few of them can be bffs with eachother, and then put them in a group to hang out. That's it. You have to do so many separate gameplay elements.
    And if one of those close friends asks to be your BFF and you already have one, you can't say yes without losing the previous one. And your only other option is "No way!" Which lowers your friendship.

Now they're adding friendship bracelets. And making it so that if you give one friend a bracelet and not the other, they'll be jealous. But they literally won't let you give all your friends bracelets. Idk what kinds of childhoods they had, but growing up for me exchanging friendship bracelets was a sign of being friends. Usually close ones. But by no means was it exclusive.

100%

There have been a lot of debates about this over the years on here, but I absolutely agree with you, and I will die on that hill. I like to quote Mindy Kaling whenever it comes up: "Best friend isn't a person, it's a tier."

And yeah, the friendship bracelet thing is particularly weird. As I distinctly recall from my childhood, woe betide you if you did not make friendship bracelets for all of your best friends. The safest way to avoid drama was to make five or six first and then give them all out at the same time instead of one by one, so no one would feel slighted while the rest were in progress.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'm beginning to have concerns that the milestones aren't really cross-pack compatible, as in there may not be milestones from other packs.
    That has made me make this list. I do hope my concerns are unfounded...
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    sireneiles wrote: »
    i liked the livestream but the part that deepen relationships between sims is linked to likes and dislikes…. which are not automatically attributed to residential sims outside our household lmao… which mean that whenever the player is out their house, maybe at a café or something, the game will probably harass the player with pop ups to confirm new likes and dislikes to other townies in order to apply the social dynamics. so it would be something like « bella goth just talked about romantic subject. Does bella goth likes romantic subject ? »

Which means the game needs to player input on everything again, which increase the micro management and breaks immersion… so i don’t know. i was already tired of pop ups asking me if X sims liked fitness whenever i would bring my household to the gym i’m not sure i want add another layer of said pop ups (which increase lag by the way) on the daily. i just wish they did that without the pop up. unless it’s my household i don’t care. immerse me by default in the game, don’t make me chose for every single townie lol

I have to admit... I didn't think about that. You make a great point... I'm not trying to set-up/create/rule every sim in the game. I just want to take care of my own sims and that's it...
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    There are a lot of things I liked in that livestream... but there are going to be So. Many. Popups.
  • sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    also it bothers me in general that Sims 4 EP's lack gameplay objects. They always feel really empty when it comes to actual gameplay objects.

That part, absolutely. I was hoping for costume chests, maybe trampolines, ballet lessons, play tag, maybe hide and seek, ghost stories etc… they’re stingy with the content they put out overall and it takes
    literal years to get the content we want, I’m still waiting for an arcade lot with tons of fun machines. It was my absolute favorite lot to make in sims 3 i would always make these crazy builds with a different ambiance at each machine etc…

Also I don’t understand why careers are so hard to make. High school years should have added/updated the education career so we can actively play as high school professor or something. growing together would have been the perfect opportunity to add the daycare career…
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    My only concern is how the sciencebaby will influences the family tree, since they didn't show the family tree ingame. Surrogate motherhood is forbidden in my country since it can be be used to exploit women in financal distress. In legal language it's called: the mother of the baby is the woman who has born it; no matter if the dna was sponsored or not. The new mother can adopt the baby later, but at first she isn't the mother in legal terms. I mean, if they name the person who has born the baby in the family tree than it will be good, also for the sim who could met her later. There should be still a connection between them. I know legal issues isn't a thing normally in sims, so I have to wait an see.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited March 2023
    Daravi wrote: »
    My only concern is how the sciencebaby will influences the family tree, since they didn't show the family tree ingame. Surrogate motherhood is forbidden in my country since it can be be used to exploit women in financal distress. In legal language it's called: the mother of the baby is the woman who has born it; no matter if the dna was sponsored or not. The new mother can adopt the baby later, but at first she isn't the mother in legal terms. I mean, if they name the person who has born the baby in the family tree than it will be good, also for the sim who could met her later. There should be still a connection between them. I know legal issues isn't a thing normally in sims, so I have to wait an see.

Pretty sure mechanically there won't be a surrogate named/identified (just the other donor partner). The child will just be spawned without the pregnancy. The only exception to this being if you choose a different/NPC as the other parent donor partner but even then they aren't the surrogate.

It seems like this is just sims 4's alternative to a surrogacy via imagination versus actual mechanically. To be honest, it sounds like it's meant more to be created/born in a lab (hence "science baby") versus more natural means (actual birth). A player can interpret it differently for their own storyline needs of course.

Edit: I am more welcome to be wrong, but I don't think it's gonna function as a straight on surrogacy explicitly.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I was hoping the world would be good, and I honestly find it so forgettable. I would have liked to have a lot or two right in the more urban looking area since I want more city-esque worlds. Im tired of suburbs! No apartments or rowhouses? Despite it being modeled after San Francisco? Cmon man.

• RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2023
    Why are milestones in the simology interface? It is too huge and we have lots of personal attributes already, traits, preferences, neighbour influence, fame, lifestyles, character value....Can they add a new category in the lower right corner?
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I wasn't blown away. This is the first EP that has come out in a while that I'm not super hyped to buy. I think it is great that so much is coming to the base game with this pack but I don't know that enough is left for the pack to make it worth $40. I think I just haven't seen enough. Hopefully once the game changers start releasing content I will feel like this pack is something I can't wait for. Tree houses are cool, community center has promise. More lots,more larger lots, would have been more enticing. A little bit more in the way of build buy like a new playground or something, I dunno. I just need to see more of the pack I guess.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited March 2023
    From what I've gathered I think the pack is relying on the upcoming patch to sell. I don't like any of the added social systems the game has added so far. This new Milestone thing feels more like inviting the player to start over rather than expanding the current saves.

I don't think there's a lot of new objects either. Nothing new with having recycled animations. But I feel there's a lot of repurposed objects. The water park thing is similar to the waterslides and sprinklers from Backyard Stuff pack and Seasons. Bicycles- you know. And the suitcase is just a mobile wardrobe in disguise.

But I might have to break my festering grudge to buy the pack eventually. My sister purchased HS Years the other day and she asked me if I would purchase this pack. Gonna wait for to see if there are any bugs first.

Edit: Of course I had to hunt for mods to fix HSY. Starting with choosing our own teens.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    This is selling on CUTE but I couldn't find no substance, if I am not filling up my lot with babies I can't see why I would buy this pack
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    After 2 hours of livestream, I didn't see a big difference with the current game.

Difficult family dynamic and Bad Social Compatibility change nothing, the behavior remains the same.

I really wanted to see that shown instead of just talking about it in the interfaces.
    Right now I have a group of 8 sims with incompatible traits in a house, just letting them interact with no other distractions so I can compare them when I get Growing Together.

I am so bored with these sims. :p
    They are getting along so well and nothing is really built into their interactions that bring out their differences.

Growing Together needs to be a day and night difference to what I am experiencing right now.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    I will say that this pack does SEEM promising and I believe that it can be an essential pack to have for simmers who want depth(if it works like it should, lol). I give EA credit in that I was fascinated and intrigued, and it really looks like they put depth into Growing Together. Which is saying something bc I dislike 99% of their stuff. I would consider getting it.. ONLY on sale though and I won't use my money, lol. Even though the pack looks dope, it's very upsetting that these things are in an EP instead of base game. Most of the features in this pack would have made a great foundation for the sims 4 base to build on. Uuugh

I also believe that something new should've came for each Lifestate, not just a select few. Imo High School Years did not do teens justice. A retirement home would've also been perfect for this pack.

I still think it is a cash grab (not as big as before seeing the livestream) bc it took 9yrs to finally get some depth to our sims, BUT you can only have that depth if you buy this pack. It's a very weird thing to do. Bc if you don't have this pack, then your sims will continue to not have more depth (if it works). That's so silly and frustrating. It also would've been nice to add more relationship options in CAS.

I don't see any justifiable reason for me to give 40 bucks to this pack. So sale it is, lol.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I thought the new pack looked fantastic for gameplay, it could be an essential one for story telling. I was really excited but then I played a new save......
    so many packs are bugged and even regular gameplay finds sims doing stuff that is irritating and makes no sense. So Im waiting to see how this pack plays. If it all works it could be the best pack since Seasons, but if it doesnt then it doesnt have anything else to really sell it (CAS, BB and world are all kinda 'meh').
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited March 2023
    They missed the opportunity to add Good and Bad Compatibility tabs in the Relationship pane.
  • RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    They missed the opportunity to add Good and Bad Compatibility tabs in the Relationship pane.

They showed that. When good, there is a matched puzzle flakes in the upper right of the avatar, vice verse, a unmatched ones
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    The Livestream was awesome but again my complaint is why no strollers? This is a pack where you could have gotten strollers for both infant and toddlers. Also Daycares we could also gotten daycares in this pack to meet all the other infants. Like when they went to the rec center and library they were the only family bringing the toddlers and infants. I would love to see more toddlers and infants around the neighborhood with their parents like I see all the rest of the ages enjoying being outside.