Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm hoping for a totally different lot type system this time

Lot types have been a basic feature since TS1, but I think they could do way more interesting stuff. Mainly, mixed use lots.

I'm imagining a system where we can select rooms in build mode (either one, or a group) and set them as different spaces. Build a cafe next to a museum, or a restaurant in the basement below a shop, or even two shops next to each other. I figure the ownership issue could be tackled by making the spaces rented, so that whoever runs the shop space or lives in a residental space simply pays a rent based on the value of the space. It would also allow us to create apartment buildings we fully designed ourselves. Any areas not assigned to a space would be communal space for anyone to use.

I know that builders would do some amazing things with features like these.

Also, I keep thinking how good it would be to have a menu for each lot where we can select which NPCs show up to the lot and the times of day. If I want a bar tender to be at the art gallery every evening, why not, it helps make the world and lots more detailed!

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    That would be lovely. I would also like if possible to assign our own sims to work different NPC type jobs in the world, like if we place a bar on the lot the game would prompt as to assign a bartender. If we don't assign one, then the game will assign one. If we ask for a handyman, the game should prompt us to choose from our own sims with high handiness skill first. And we should be able to define their work schedule.
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    That would be lovely. I would also like if possible to assign our own sims to work different NPC type jobs in the world, like if we place a bar on the lot the game would prompt as to assign a bartender. If we don't assign one, then the game will assign one. If we ask for a handyman, the game should prompt us to choose from our own sims with high handiness skill first. And we should be able to define their work schedule.

That's a great idea, I want to be able to assign who works where too. Also, thinking about jobs, the current situation where sims in played households can't work at shops and restaurants is frustrating
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member

That sounds cool, except that a pop-up every time would fast get annoying. Even if it's just the first time per save. It would be cool if there were neighborhood settings, where you could click to allow it to recruit these roles among sims in town, or just NPC's. I know having more control over NPC's has been craved since, well, the creation of NPC's. So throwing several toggles in there would be cool.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »

That sounds cool, except that a pop-up every time would fast get annoying. Even if it's just the first time per save. It would be cool if there were neighborhood settings, where you could click to allow it to recruit these roles among sims in town, or just NPC's. I know having more control over NPC's has been craved since, well, the creation of NPC's. So throwing several toggles in there would be cool.

Well pop-ups might sound annoying, but it could work like the menu we have for restaurants where we assign the menu, the uniform and then we could also choose the employee if we want to. It's a one time thing, not something you have to do in every play session. But it would help greatly if you want a certain sim to work certain NPC job for whatever reason.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Yep, I would absolutely love that. I've been wishing we could at least combine two lot types pretty much ever since they started adding new lot types in Sims4.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I hope we never get a single community lot type ever again in a Sims game. If I want to make my restaurant also having a bar where Sims go to play pool and dance to in house music with a live band I should be able to do that don't limit me.

Retail should also be given as much control as possible rooms should be designated to a business one could be a coffee shop while the next room over a grocery store or clothing store each running as their own business with different Sim owners.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Instead of venues I would prefer to have a generic community lot where we can define five encouraged actions and maybe three discouraged ones, similarly to the club system. That way, if I want a museum, I hang paintings and place statues, and sims with traits pertaining to art will view them autonomously. The rest will only do so if "look at art" is set as encouraged activity. That way most of some time someone will look at the exhibits, and art lovers will be clearly identifyable in the crowd.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Okto84 wrote: »
    Lot types have been a basic feature since TS1, but I think they could do way more interesting stuff. Mainly, mixed use lots.

I'm imagining a system where we can select rooms in build mode (either one, or a group) and set them as different spaces. Build a cafe next to a museum, or a restaurant in the basement below a shop, or even two shops next to each other. I figure the ownership issue could be tackled by making the spaces rented, so that whoever runs the shop space or lives in a residental space simply pays a rent based on the value of the space. It would also allow us to create apartment buildings we fully designed ourselves. Any areas not assigned to a space would be communal space for anyone to use.

I know that builders would do some amazing things with features like these.

Also, I keep thinking how good it would be to have a menu for each lot where we can select which NPCs show up to the lot and the times of day. If I want a bar tender to be at the art gallery every evening, why not, it helps make the world and lots more detailed!

I wanted this so badly in The Sims 3. I had to create a workaround.
    I created a 3-in-1 lot that consisted of a diner, detective agency, and a dance studio.
    In order to play it, my detective sim had to own a small empty lot for his mailbox. He slept at his office. I had to mess around with ways to keep other sims out of his private space.
    Screenshot-10127.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The diner portion was Sims 3 Store content. He had to operate it as a business by default, but it served for the scenario nonetheless.Screenshot-10132.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I didn't want him bothering with cooking his own food. He was too busy with cases.
    Screenshot-10135.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I loved the office as I would often have his clients visit so he could get to know them.
    Screenshot-10140.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This helped to immerse me into the private investigator career, but I wished he could live here for real and receive mail here.
    Screenshot-10142.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The diner and the dance studio just made it feel like life was going on around him.
    It was also fun to watch the NPCs interact.
    Screenshot-10144.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    edited April 2023
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I hope we never get a single community lot type ever again in a Sims game. If I want to make my restaurant also having a bar where Sims go to play pool and dance to in house music with a live band I should be able to do that don't limit me.

Retail should also be given as much control as possible rooms should be designated to a business one could be a coffee shop while the next room over a grocery store or clothing store each running as their own business with different Sim owners.

YES!

"Lot Type" should be determined by which interactable community objects are placed on that lot:
    • espresso bar
    • clothing rack object
    • restaurant objects
    • grocery store shelf
    • etc.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • IndiiAnaIndiiAna Posts: 20 Member
    I agree. I'm a huge fan of making 'combined' type community lots. Recently I made a lot that is basically a block of houses and shops and a cafe all joined together. For now it's classed a Lounge, but I find all the sims congregate in the hair salon and don't really interact with the different spaces.

Ability to sub-divide would be really nice.

On this same note, I've always wanted to create my own apartments. Some of the lots in City Living are really large and it would be nice to sub-divide those into my own style of apartments.
  • IndiiAnaIndiiAna Posts: 20 Member
    In my own real life neighbourhood, a lot of people live above shops on the main street. Like, there's a local business downstairs, and an apartment or two upstairs. I'd really love to see that in the sims. Would bring more realism to the suburbia.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    There seems to be upcoming new Simulation Games that will be available very, very soon. Also, a compation to future Sims versions. ;)
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,110 Member
    I'd love this too. I know alot of people would like to be able to have their apartment above a retail lot etc. It would open up so many avenues!