Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Phone Addiction

I was thinking about the phone problem and I wondered if the cell phone could be added to likes and dislikes or maybe an Off button (and a low and high use level) on the phone interface that could allow players to adjust the interest/obsession levels of sims and their phone interaction. Folks who play historical stories or off the grid stories would dearly love the Off feature and some of the rest of us would like less phone use but not entirely Off and def not phone obsessed (except for the that one teen).

Comments

• Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 711 Member
    Yes, the phone thing is really irritating when it does not fit for the character.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I always have my sims turn off notification & social bunny. Also, I have most of my sims dislike
    video gaming so that they won't want to play with the phone.
    Unfortunately, I can't get them to stop browsing web on their phone. :'(
  • CeanaOfTheCragsCeanaOfTheCrags Posts: 7 New Member
    > @SERVERFRA said:
    > I always have my sims turn off notification & social bunny. Also, I have most of my sims dislike
    > video gaming so that they won't want to play with the phone.
    > Unfortunately, I can't get them to stop browsing web on their phone. :'(

What is Social Bunny? I get tired of my sims rudely checking their phone while they are socializing. Also, if I change the color of the phone or case to their favorite color, they are CONSTANTLY defaulting to changing one of these colors.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @CeanaOfTheCrags, the Social Bunny is an NPC sim in Sims 2, a tall, pink bunny. If a sim's social need dropped too low, sometimes the Social Bunny will come and visit. The first time it happened to one of my sims, I couldn't believe what I was seeing! LOL A big pink bunny talking to my sim and then starting a fight! It was so funny and unexpected!
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    The social bunny is a feature from high school years. It is a social media platform where sims can send messages to each other. I don't know how this affects the phone addiction but unfortunately the phone addiction is base game, something we all get to 'enjoy' .

I tried to get used to the constant phone usage for half a year but then I caved in and got a mod to get rid of it. It is now a must have mod for me.
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    The Sims use their cellphones way too much. It's alarming that the folks at EA think that's natural. Do we need to host an intervention here?
    Yes, I agree they should add a toggle. Perhaps a trait like technophobe from sims 3 where they would avoid a lot of electronics. I mean it might get annoying if they can't enjoy watching tv then, but on a scale of things, I wouldn't mind it completely.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2023
    Yea since I got rid of 98% of my mods I realized how much worse it has gotten since the highschool patch. The phones are out of control. I play a lot of apocalyptic scenarios where phones are a luxury and all 8 of my sims are phone addicts. It really messes up the vibe. Definitely going back for that phone mod 😅😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    At this point I’m addicted to complaining about the phone addiction. 😆

I use a mod too so that I can at least enjoy the game without being constantly bothered by this.
    Almost none of my characters are smart phone users and the fact that mobiles and computers are the only way to communicate is in my opinion an odd game design choice. I can have ancient vampires and spell-casters, but somehow I can’t have them live in a world that doesn’t run on modern technology?! It’s incredibly immersion breaking and it’s not how I want to tell my story.
    There should be wall phones and an option to write letters or send smoke signals. I’m ok with a limited menu, I don’t need to troll teh forums or check how many simstagram followers my sim has gained.

At this stage there are about 500 different ways to be one of those annoying hip online influencers but there are zero options to write a good old fashioned letter to my sims great great great aunt who happens to be a living dead and resides in an off the grid medieval castle in a swamp with her slightly obnoxious but quite useful Werebeast pet husband and cat. She’s ancient and doesn’t know what a phone is. If there ever was a phone her husband must have devoured it because there isn’t a phone now.

I don’t want her to call my sim via a smart device and ask him whether or not she should become friends with some random purple haired townie person. I don’t care. In fact, I don’t want anyone to call me or my sim. Write or leave us alone. No phones allowed. Some letters shall be burned. 🤨
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    Speaking of phones, what's up with Bella and Clara calling non-stop, asking total strangers if they should have another baby? One of these days I'm going to lock the two of them up with an alien and make both of them pump out alien babies non-stop for this.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2023
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Smoke signals?👀👀👀
    Never thought of it but gosh that would be amazing!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    The phone...the phone.... *trembles, hollow-eyed, on the edge of a meltdown*...

Please devs, I beg of thee, have mercy on us! Mercy! *Sob*

*Mutters madly in a frantic whisper* The phone use... Stop the phone use...Make it stop... someone please, make it stop...

*Quiver*

*Twitch*
    #Team Occult
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited March 2023
    Maybe the devs and all of the people they know in RL have an unhealthy addiction/obsession with their phones to the point of having a panic attack if it's not attached to them at all times and they can't imagine people who aren't the same and that's why all the sims are obsessed with it because to them that's "normal".

This is just one more example of how this is not the "Player's Game" and instead it's the dev's game. Player's choices in how they want to tell their story always revolves around if the devs feel like that's a viable way to play.

How can you play a "Rags to Riches" type game play or homeless person down on their luck? You can't because the devs think everybody MUST have a cell phone.

For most people a cell phone is luxury. And if it came down to buying food and paying for shelter to keep you out of dangerous elements or paying a cell phone bill each month, I can guarantee the cell phone would be shut off because that is not a necessity to sustain life, where shelter and food are.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    This is just one more example of how this is not the "Player's Game" and instead it's the dev's game. Player's choices in how they want to tell their story always revolves around if the devs feel like that's a viable way to play.
    This 100%. All those families I created has all gotten a new hobby, no matter what traits I give them.
    They were already using the phones on their own every now and then, but I could live with that. They should have skipped the intrusive animations and just created a cellphone walkstyle if they want their Sims to stare at it all the time. Yes, I'm still bitter over this "gift". When the game crashed all the time, at least I could rely on them to to solve that issue. This one came with their blessings and I can't get rid of it. If there was one time I would have caved in and use a mod to get rid of something, this would be that time. Alas, console player.

What's next, every Sim will randomly wave a flag with a happy face on when they're on a good mood, no matter if they're walking, sitting, swimming or talking with another sim?

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I was able to ignore the phone use for the most part, but I’m rather upset that Sims use their phone while holding their sleeping infant. I guess it’s just a pet peeve of mine irl, so it really bugs me to see it in game.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    One thing that really annoys me is that if you ground a sim child with the penalty of not using their phone, they will constantly be guilty of breaking grounding. I was hoping it was an easy option in that it would stop sim children playing with their phones but apparently not.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    nophoneobsession by Bienchen = lifesaver