Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Survival Experiment

This post is to introduce my new LP "The Survival Experiment" starting February 17, 2023
We will be following 8 sims as they are brought to this locked compound on a cursed lot and try to build a community starting with nothing and building it to have 8 houses, a community center and a park. No one is allowed to leave the lot and must earn money by computer, Plopsy or the mail slot. If any of the characters die they will need to create a new one. You can follow along here and on my YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCur52bvZSVisVQ7J-Ur2OkQ

The%20Survival%20Experiment.png

Comments

• artistjuartistju Posts: 174 Member
    Part 1

Introduction to the characters and getting started.

The%20Survival%20Experiment.png

https://youtu.be/ZoS5LLxxnS8

Part 2

All jobs are lost and now it is up to the group to earn money for their needs and the construction of the town. More beds are found and Thomas sets to repair unusable furniture.

Part%202.png

https://youtu.be/cnSpnMXWxW0
    edited March 2023
    Part%203.png
    Part 3

The first house is completed. Nathan's book royalties save the day as well as Kaylee's Masterpiece

https://youtu.be/1uNngDEQDdg
    Pert 4

A new common bathroom is added. Kaylee is making everyone upset.

Part%204.png

https://youtu.be/hJ8vKHUi02U
    Part 5

Farm animals have been added to the lot. Another fire erupts while Breana tries to cook on the cursed property.

Part%205.png

https://youtu.be/73uRH0v-0EY
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited March 2023
    @artistju
    Hi,
    I decided to try this challenge as well but put a bit of a twist on it. I created all the sims through story mode, so they were all randomly generated. So, they started with random skills, random jobs, etc. and they also get the job reward traits this way, too. When I made them through story mode, I also just randomly picked answers to the story-mode questions.

I started them off in Newcrest on the Twin Oracle 50 x 40 lot. The premise for my story is that this is an apocalyptic world, and these survivors are stuck in this "shelter" together to rebuild the SimWorld. I downloaded a lot from the gallery and revised it a bit, so that there are just the bare necessities on the lot, and I put a fence around the whole lot and a gate so they cannot go anywhere. There are 3 dumpsters (from Eco Lifestyle), 5 "pee"/nap bushes and two 2 debug shower/washroom stalls from Jungle Adventure, a campfire from Outdoor Retreat, and a debug fishing pond. The lot has a mailbox so they can sell items through plopsy, and also get the bills. When I created the lot, I did it separately as a generic lot with the landfill lot traits to start generating the garbage in the dumpsters. The group was placed on another lot in Newcrest and I had them visit the Twin Oracle lot once and were permitted to each dumpster dive twice to see what they could find. I then brought them back to their empty lot and went into Worldview and changed the Twin Oracle lot to residential, and then had the group move to that lot. The Twin Oracle lot has all of the negative lot traits, such as off-the-grid and simple living. I also gave the lot Geothermal and Natural Well. The group started off with 0 simoleons (other than the simoleons they made dumpster diving). Season is Summer, 28 days, weather effects are on.

For the sims who had jobs, since they are "locked in" and can't leave, they will all be missing work. They will all quit their jobs and they cannot get another job. This also includes any work-from-home jobs. So no one will receive any simoleons coming from jobs. All are young adults. They can make simoleons by selling items on plopsy, selling items in inventory, roylaties from books, songs, hacking funds, selling to collectors, etc. When possible, items will be re-used. So, fish can be used for food, bait, decor, and fertilizer for plants. The only things that can be bought in build mode are skill items or eco items (water collector, solar panel, wind turbine) for their lot.

Here is the build I started with.
    apocalypse-shelter-original.png

And the revised build front and back.

the-revised-lot.png

back-of-revised-lot.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here are the items that they started off with from jobs that were randomly generated from story mode.

stuff-they-got-from-their-jobs.png

Here are the items that they found from their initial dumpster diving (2 dives each) when the lot was a generic landfill site. They also found some simoleons.

2-dives-each-take.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Meet the sims - Wish them luck!

end-of-the-world-survivors.png
    THE-WEREWOLF.png

Cole Callaway
    Occult Sim: Werewolf
    Unemployed
    Aspiration: Computer Whiz
    Traits: Lazy, Self-Assured, Geek (Quick Learner)
    Skill Points: Programming-3; Cross-stitch-3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-SECRET-AGENT.png

Sierra Spangler
    Career: Agent Handler (Secret Agent) $21/hr
    Aspiration: Serial Romantic
    Traits: Romantic, Music Lover, Adventurous, (Alluring)
    Skill Points: Charisma-3; Fishing-3; Logic-2

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-ATHELETE.png

Blake Barfield
    Career: Team Mascot (Athlete) $28/hr
    Aspiration: Bodybuilder
    Traits: Neat, Snob, Loves Outdoors (High Metabolism)
    Skill Points: Fitness-3; Wellness-2

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-ARCHEALOGIST.png

Francesca Flores
    Career: Assistant to the Manager (Business) $23/hr
    Aspiration: Friend of the World
    Traits: Overachiever, Glutton, Goofball (Gregarious)
    Skill Points: Charisma-3; Archaeology-3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-SMALL-TOWN-GIRL.png

Claire Cooper
    Career: Hungry Artist (Painter) $26/hr
    Aspiration:Country Caretaker
    Traits: Creative, Animal Enthusiast, Good (Collector)
    Skill Points: Charisma-3; Painting-3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-GARDENER.png

Gary Green
    Career: Seed Scatterer (Gardener) $23/hr
    Aspiration: Freelance Botanist
    Traits: Maker, Recycle Disciple, Outgoing (Collector)
    Skill Points: Gardening-3; Handiness-3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE-COOK.png

Fabian Farrow
    Career: Caterer (Culinary) $28/hr
    Aspiration: Fabulously Wealthy
    Traits: Foodie, Erratic, Cheerful (Business Savvy)
    Skill Points: Cooking-3; DJ Mixing-3

With the Simple Living lot trait on, they can only roast marshmallows.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MADYLYN-THE-SPELLCASTER.png

Madelyn Mandrake
    Occult Sim: Spellcaster
    Career: Apprentice Inventor (Scientist) $32/hr
    Aspiration: Spellcraft and Sorcery
    Traits: Gloomy, Hates Children, Loner (Quick Learner)
    Skill Points: Logic-3; Rocket Science-3

I was very fortunate to get a Spellcaster, as they can learn the Repairio Spell and repair the charred furniture. Yes!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Post edited by SoulGal7 on
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    @artistju
    Hi,
    I decided to try this challenge as well but put a bit of a twist on it. I created all the sims through story mode, so they were all randomly generated. So, they started with random skills, random jobs, etc. and they also get the job reward traits this way, too. When I made them through story mode, I also just randomly picked answers to the story-mode questions.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That's awesome, I love the idea of randomly generating the careers, traits etc. I'm finding the challenge a lot of fun, I hope you do too :smile: I love the lot and story you chose to go with.

edited March 2023
    @artistju

The First Day:

03-20-23-10-50-03-AM.png
    The first thing they all do is take selfies. Ones that are worth more than $5 simoleons will be sold on Plopsy. There are only 2 photos by Fabian that actually meet these criteria. Oh gosh! They all have uncomfortable moodlets. lol

Madelyn, the Spellcaster, works on her Practical Magic enough to get the Scrubaroo and Repairio spells. Yes! Now it's time to fix some of those charred items. They were fortunate to get a bed on their first dumpster dive.

using-repairio-spell-to-fix-some-items.png

Cole gets to work on repairing some plumbing issues. Only items that work off-the-grid will be used on the lot, although for some reason, even items that are not deemed off-the-grid work. Might be a glitch. Even though they found a sink dumpster diving, I put that into their household inventory. What I found is that if there is a sink, they "clean" any dirty dishes instead of throwing them out in the dumpster. So, we want more dumpster goods, so the sink, too, goes into the household inventory. I also found that if you have a bonfire on the lot, sims will throw any garbage in there, instead of the dumpsters.

Gary plants the seeds from the seed packets. Sierra forms a Club and recruits other sims to join her in fishing and catching frogs. The activities will change as they need to do things. The club runs until midnight.

the-rest-go-fishing.png

And sometimes the Repairio spell backfires. And they have their first fire!

oops-sometimes-that-doesn-t-work.png

The coffeepot that Fabian got as a job reward also works on the lot, and they generate more garbage and dumpster dive some more. And they get a computer, which Cole fixes. He has programming skills, so he hacks the Llamacorn Listserve and the Lothario Trust Fund. He also makes 2 plug-ins. With the simoleons he earned, Gary was able to buy a pack of summer seeds. A cross-stitch kit is purchased and Claire finishes the first hoop and lists it on Plopsy.

Gary fixes a tub, then scavenges for parts and throws the rest in the dumpster.

03-21-23-5-19-35-PM.png

At the end of the day, there is no stove or fridge yet. Plenty of fish are caught, but they can't roast fish over the fire. They need a grill to do that. For now, the fish are used by Gary for fertilizer for the plants. So they all roast marshmallows instead. Funds at the end of the day: $87 simoleons.

they-had-enough-funds-to-buy-a-xstich-basket.png

And sims autonomously use the "pee" bush to get some shut-eye.

[/b][/i]pee-bush.png
    @SoulGal7
    I love your story, great idea about the sink and the dishes. I love the club idea as well. Thanks for sharing your adventures with this challenge. I enjoyed reading it. I hope you keep sharing :smile:
    Part 6

More money making objects have been added. The start of Nathan's house has begun.

Part%206.png

https://youtu.be/mb4jC0hGyUM
    edited March 2023
    @artistju

Week 1 Up-date:

dumpster-diving.png
    Well, the survivors have now been on their lot for one week. Since then, they have dumpster dove and found some other useful items, such as a stove, many couches, more showers and tubs, some beds, a few paintings, a radio, a tv, and some plants. Of course, they also found lots of dye, and upgrade parts, as well as some collectibles. Their best dumpster dive came on Thursday when they finally found a fridge.

they-finally-found-a-fridge-now-if-only-gary-can-fix-it.png

In the meantime, Madelyn, the Spellcaster, was working on her Practical Magic skills and got the Delicioso spell, so was able to make meals out of thin air. That helped them eat more than marshmallows. With all the repairio spells she did on the lot, she also ranked up and got some gifts of a broom, a crystal, 3 apples, and a familiar. Her familiar is a fairy named Tonk. A cauldron was purchased for Madelyn so she could work on her alchemy skills. This was quite an expense for the survivors, but they felt it was a worthwhile purchase, especially since Madelyn had repaired so many charred items that were found.

a-cauldron-for-magdelyn.png

Cole, the werewolf, transformed twice. Once, due to his fury being too high, and the other, during a full moon. The survivors had built him a small enclosure so no harm would come to him, or to them during his rampage. He scavaged a lot during this time and found some crystals and other items.

cole-ready-to-change-for-hte-first-time.png

cole-transformed.png

There was a volcanic eruption and their camp was hit with some flying rocks. When they cooled, they were able to extract some crystals from the rock. Thankfully, nothing was damaged, and only a few items needed to be repaired.

their-lot-gets-hit-with-volcanic-rock.png

Most of the funds they earned came from simoleons found dumpster diving, selling some cross-stitch items and their initial photos on plopsy, and funds earned from hacking and plug-ins. The big simoleon-maker is from hacking. So, this was added as a club activity and all survivors were encouraged to increase their programming skills. The survivors discovered there are some other survivors "out there", and each survivor has posted on the pen pal board, and some have already asked for a postcard. (Note: This is to get the postcard collection)

blake-hacking.png

The garden is doing well, and Gary uses all the fish that is caught as fertilizer. He bought some magical seeds and some starter vegetables and planted those. Someone fished a bluebell, snapdragon, and a cowplant, and he has planted that in his garden, too. A bee box and a bug box were bought for the garden area, and gardening was added as a morning club activity when Gary needs help tending the garden.

the-garden-and-frog-zone.png

They have caught a lot of frogs, and Sierra decided to start a frog breeding area. (Note: Basically I wanted to see if they could complete the frog collection, which I have never done before). Madelyn, as well, might need some of those frogs for her spells, and Fabian (the cook) said he knew a recipe for Boiling Frog Hot Pot, so he could use some frogs as well.

woodworking-table-bee-box-crickets-painting-frogs.png

With all the items that were being collected and harvested, they decided that each survivor should be the "keeper" of some of these goods. Cole keeps all the upgrade and robot parts; Gary (the gardener) keeps all the fish; Fabian (the cook) keeps all the harvestables and honey and a few fish; Madelyn (Spellcaster) keeps all the crystals; and Sierra (Head of Survivor Club) keeps all the frogs. For now, Francesca is keeping all the flowers, Clarie is keeping all the beeswax, and Blake is keeping all of the dyes. A lot of the items they find are put out on tables on the lot.

With the simoleons they made, they were able to purchase some more skill items. Two easels, a woodworking table, and a soccer ball. Claire (the painter) got right to work on some paintings, and is doing well selling those on plopsy. She will also be writing some books on the computer. Blake made a few wood items on the woodworking table that are up for sale on plopsy. He also started making furniture and has made a planter box and a mirror.

party-time-sunday-wk-1.png

On Sunday, they decided to have some fun and had a "Summer Madness Holiday", where they danced, told stories, sang, and just had some rest. Fabian even made a new dish from all the garden produce, Veggie Yakisoba. It was a fun day and everyone had a good time.

special-dish-from-their-garden.png

Funds at the end of the week: $2,522 simoleons

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ Milestones for the Survivors ~

- Francesca has maxed the fishing skill.
    - Cole is a Prime Werewolf.
    - Madelyn is a Master Spellcaster.
    @SoulGal7 Wow! Your Survivors are very productive. I love that they all have their parts and also work together. I really have to try the clubs more.
    edited March 2023
    @artistju

Week 2 Up-date:

and-then-the-thunderstorms-started.png
    The survivors had thought they were doing rather well until some mystery bills came on Monday. Yes, they apparently owe $3,266 simoleons for land, water, and electricity to a family called the Landgraabs. And the thing is, they don't have enough simoleons to pay. The survivors were in shock. Who were these sims? What will happen now? Will a sim come along and evict them from their shelter? Where would they go? They decided to increase their hacking activity to get enough funds to pay the bills. [Gary had enough reward points to purchase the Frugal Trait or the bills would have been more. They are being charged for water and electricity even though they are living off-the-grid, so that is strange.]

bills-week-1.png

And, as if that wasn't enough, another disaster hit. The garden seems to have been hit with some type of disease, and all their plants, except a few fruit trees, have become lumps in the earth again. Gary wasn't sure what had happened, but since they had some reserve crops, Gary planted those right away.

THE-PLANTS-ARE-GONE.png

The only thing that seemed to be thriving in the garden, was this rather strange plant that looked like a cow and seemed to be offering all the sims cake to eat. Should they eat the offering? Gary seemed rather sceptical about accepting this "gift". Wise choice, Gary.

should-gary-eat-it.png

With the garden in trouble, Fabian knew that he would not be able to make any meals with fresh produce. However, with all the fish they were catching, perhaps he could make some fish dishes. Well, he tried, and another fire erupts and the stove is charred. Thankfully, no one is hurt in the fire, and Madelyn comes to the rescue and does a repairio spell on the stove. It might be back to eating marshmallows for awhile.

its-fried-fish-dinner-tonight.png

The survivors were at a very low point now since their arrival, and most were in uncomfortable, tense moods. They continued with their daily tasks, and finally the funds starting coming in from hacking and making plug-ins, simoleons found dumpster diving, and photos and some cross-stitch items that sold on plopsy.

cole-plugin-ale.png

small-print-sale.png

And then the thunderstorms started. Some of them ran around the lot screaming incoherently at each other. Blake tried to carry on and collect honey from the bees but ended up getting stung in the process.

bee-stings-revised.png

They somehow managed to pay the bills, with the warning from these mystery Landgraab's that their power would be turned off if they didn't pay in 24 hours, but, thankfully that didn't happen. Since Cole had the best programming skills, he pretty much worked night and day on hacking, and plug-ins to get their funds up.

In the meantime, Francesca, who had maxed the fishing skill, was mentoring sims in the fishing skill. Pretty soon, Sierra maxed the fishing skill, and they both mentored others. Sierra also worked on frog breeding and was able to breed all the frogs, and received the Forlorn Frog Friend Reward from The SimValley Frog Fan & Appreciation Society. The complete collection remained on display in the garden.

they-completed-the-frog-collection.png

Things started to pick up and on Thursday, the survivors started to look through the rubble near one of the buildings and discovered a wind turbine, solar panel, and a water filtration system and set them up in the garden.

solar-panel-etc.png

Since a lot of the sims were now competent in fishing, it was time to move on to some other skills. A recycler and fabricator were set up for Blake, who was the keeper of the dyes, and the first item he made was a bookshelf. Of course, the machine seemed to have a mind of its own, and Blake was covered with dye most of the time.

blake-starts-fabricating.png

OOPS-THE-MACHINE-HAS-GONE-HAYWIRE.png

Three knitting baskets were bought, and the survivors took up knitting beanies. Francesca set up a small flower arranging table and attempted to make some floral arrangements to sell on plopsy. She was very enthusiastic...um...maybe a little too enthusiastic.

HAPPILY-CUTTING-HER-FLOWERS.png

OOPS-TOO-MUCH-CUTTING.png

Madelyn continued to experiment on her cauldron and met the resident ghost who seemed to find her irresistible. Madelyn now has a bit of pink with Felix Psyched. And I do think that Felix might have a crush on her. (Note: This is something they did entirely on their own.)

looks-like-madelyn-might-have-a-secret-admirer.png

OK-ONLY-A-GHOST-WOULD-ASK-MADELYN-OUT.png

But the best news of all is that over the weekend, they started to build a house for one of the survivors. They all drew straws to see who would be the lucky one to get the first house...and it turned out to be Francesca. (Note: I just used a randomizer to see who would get the first house.)

Funds at the end of Week 2: $6,669 simoleons

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Note: Each house will have a bedroom, bathroom, and a combo living-kitchen area. There are still some items that it needs, such as a toilet, but the house is mostly finished. Each survivor is also able to choose a painting and potted plant from the ones that were found. The desk is being used as a dining table. The house has a rug and light made on the fabricator, and a mirror, shelf, and chair made on the workbench. All other items were found dumpster diving; except 3 lights which were purchased for the living room, bathroom, and outdoors. I just went into build mode and changed to the colors I wanted. The house measures 4 tiles wide x 12 tiles long and is decorated in green tones. They are working on their knitting skills to knit some rugs. I will probably go back and put on a porch roof for the house and add some flower boxes.)

The Green House - Francesca's House:

outide-of-francescas-house.png

1-ST-HOUSE-THE-GREEN-HOUSE.png

Close-up shots - toilet still needed. Masterpiece hanging on bedroom wall.

close-up-house-francesca.png

other-side-of-house.png

redo-bedroom-shot-house-1.png

Addendum: I edited the house a bit and added the front porch and changed the paint color.

1st-house-reno.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

- Sierra, Blake, Fabian, and Gary all maxed the Fishing Skill.

- Francesca maxed the Cross-Stitch skill (Level 5)

- Cole maxed the Programming Skill.

- Fabian maxed the Cooking Skill.

- Sierra completed the first collection - Frog Collection

- Francesca painted a Masterpiece (she kept it and it is hanging in her house).

- Claire, Sierra, and Francesca have all written and published books. This will now bring in some royalties.

- Cole is a Prime Werewolf, and has the Somber Howl to curb some of the fury he feels. He still transforms when there is a full moon.

- Madelyn is a Rank 6 Virtuoso Spellcaster, and has learned all the potions for Alchemy. There are some spells she still has to learn for Practical, Mischief, and Untamed Magic, but apparently, you can only learn those from the Sages.
    @SoulGal7 Wow! Your survivors have accomplished a lot. Yay for the first house. I've been playing that if they complete a house one of the curses can be removed (random generator). I can't remember which one I removed though. Loved reading this part.
    Part 7

Nathan's house is now livable and he moves in. The community center gets a makeover.

Watch here

https://youtu.be/jmw_UMZhx4c

Part%207.png

edited April 2023
    @artistju

Week 3 Up-date:

blake-dont-eat-the-cake.png
    The bills came, which they were able to pay right away, and they had enough funds left-over to build a second house. This one went to Madelyn, the Spellcaster. Same size as the last house, but this one also has a glass roof overhang and a skylight. Decorated in black, grey, and blue.

The Grey House - Madelyn's House:

madelyn-ouside-her-new-house.png

reclaimed-brick.png

(Note: I used a brick similar to the one on the ruined house that was in the corner. I moved the ruined house to give the new house more room so let's just say they salvaged some of that brick to build the house).

house-2-toilet-and-stove-missing.png

Close-up shots. The rug was made in the fabricator with Grim's dye. The house still needs a toilet and stove.

living-room-2nd-house.png

missing-stove.png

2nd-house-bed-and-bath.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The thunderstorms continued and there were intermittent power interruptions. This affected their earnings from hacking and plug-ins, and also prevented them from writing books and checking for pen pal requests. So, they increased their activity in painting, cross-stitching, knitting, floral arranging, and woodworking. Sierra decided to knit by the firepit during a thunderstorm...definitely not a good choice.

sierra-hit-by-lightning.png

Claire decided to put all that beeswax they were collecting from the bee box to use and set up a candlemaking area.

claire-begins-candle-making.png

Remember that cowplant that grew in their garden? Well, apparently, Gary didn't take his own advice and must have had a craving for cake, because he got eaten by the cowplant. (I missed this shot, darn it, but then saw that Gary had the drained by cowplant moodlet.) Yep, and Gary milked the cowplant for a happy essence. Well, there was nothing happy about being drained for 2 whole days because Gary was too uncomfortable to do anything. Thankfully, there were backup gardeners who could attend to the garden.

someone-didnt-listen.png

Oh, but wait, the cowplant strikes again, and this time it's Blake! (And this time I got a shot! lol). Blake has that drained moodlet and will be like this for 3 days? Three days? Oh, gee....that cowplant is going to go into storage soon if this keeps happening. And these sims just keep going over to the cowplant to play with it. Obviously, they are not getting enough fun and are risking their lives for fun and chocolate cake. (cover shot)

And there was an onslaught of bugs that seemed to hit the camp. Maybe rummaging through the rubble had disturbed them. But have you ever seen a spider this size before? Yikes!

attacked-by-spiderws.png

The thunderstorms continued and most of the sims were scared and running around. And let's not forget the fires. Even though Fabian has maxed cooking, he still can't cook. In fact, he has trouble lighting a fire. Poor Fabian.

oh-gosh-dont-start-another-fire.png

But he can dance...no music is playing, but that doesn't stop him. Yes, Fabian dances to his own beat...must have something to do with his erratic trait.

the-only-one-dancing-while-no-music-is-playing.png

The good news is that they are selling a lot of items on plopsy. Gary's cross-stitch went for $324 simoleons.

gary-cross-stich-item.png

And does art imitate life? You betcha, because, during one of the thunderstorms, Sierra autonomously painted this painting.

will-it-ever-stop-raining.png

sierras-painting-lightning.png

The week is done and they have earned $12,302 simoleons.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ Milestones for Survivors ~

- Gary maxed the Gardening Skill and completed the Freelance Botanist Aspiration (his original aspiration - I didn't aspiration switch while I was controlling them. I decided that Gary should work on the Lord of the Knits Aspiration next.)
    - Cole maxed the Handiness Skill (Yes! That means he can make wooden toilets now!)
    - Madelyn maxed the Fishing Skill
    - Francesca and Sierra maxed the Painting Skill
    - Fabian maxed the Dancing Skill
    - Claire and Sierra painted their first masterpieces.
    - Claire & Madelyn can now knit rugs (they haven't maxed the knitting skill yet, but this is a big milestone for decor).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I took @artistju advice and decided that after they build a house, one of the "bad" lot traits would be removed. So, using a randomizer, Creepy Crawlies, and Quake Zone have now been removed.

Note: The lot was getting a bit crowded, so I got rid of the one ruined house with the steel piece on it (cost $3,200). In its place, I put two other ruined houses and a debug old car. I just did a money cheat to ensure that no simoleons were gained from the sale of the first building. The main area, the ruined library, was moved back, and the bathroom area was re-arranged. Because this is a 50 x 40 lot, some of the sims will share a house so that the lot isn't crowded with just all houses. The library structure will remain on the lot and that is the basis of the community center, as well as the pond, which will be the basis of the park. Here is how the lot looks with all the moves.

revised-lot-shot.png
    edited April 2023
    @artistju

Week 4 Up-date:

a-little-friend-watching-blake.png
    It is the last week of summer and the survivors are working on a community site plan. Gary's house was the next to be built. He wanted it to be near the garden and so a plan was made to gather materials from one of the ruined houses to build his house. Gary seemed happy with the plan; however, when Sierra saw the community site plan, she was worried that there was no space for her frog collection. Sierra was told that they couldn't keep a space for her frogs, so she would have to release them all. Sierra was heartbroken. Gary had overheard the conversation and thought about the site where his house was being built. With Cole's help, Gary took some measurements and then approached Sierra. Gary told her that she could keep her frog collection, but he had one stipulation...that she had to live with him and help him in the garden. You see, Sierra was the only sim who came over autonomously to help with the garden, and Gary realized that with the garden being expanded, he really needed some help. Sierra wasn't sure what to say. She was good friends with Gary but wasn't sure about this. The houses that had been built so far only had one bedroom...with one bed. Well, she could always sleep on the couch. And if it meant that she could keep her frog collection, she would do it. Sierra nodded and agreed, and Gary smiled at her and told her she wouldn't regret her decision.

The Red House: Gary & Sierra's House

the-house-2-level.png

When the house was finished, Gary brought Sierra over to it.

entrance-to-house-3.png

It was a beautiful house with a garden beside it. Gary had created a water garden and painstakingly moved every frog to the garden area. There was even a table with two chairs outside. Gary explained that Sierra could release the frogs for a swim in the pond and then place them back in their homes again. When Sierra saw the garden and her frogs, she was speechless.

the-frog-zone.png

the-side-garden.png

Gary brought her inside. The main floor held a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room area. On the left side, a ladder went to the next level. Thanks to Cole, they had one of the new toilets.

1st-floor-kitchen-living-area.png

had-to-switch-out-the-tub-because-it-wouldnt-fit.png

Heading upstairs, they arrived at the second floor, which was Gary's bedroom. A sliding door led to a balcony area. (Note: Lots of debug items were used on the balcony. They were fortunate to dumpster dive two chairs that matched.)

2nd-floor-garys-room.png

outdoor-balcony-2nd-floor.png

Gary told her that there was one more floor, and together they climbed the ladder.

up-and-down-ladders.png

When they arrived, Sierra looked around and saw a painting she had painted hanging over a bed. Gary explained that this would be her room. Sierra couldn't believe it! She was going to have her own room. She turned to face Gary and gave him a hug and told Gary that she would help him tend the garden everyday.

3rd-floor-sierras-room.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Farm Animals

When the survivors had gone rummaging for bricks for Gary and Sierra's house, they had found some chickens that had been living in the ruined house. They quickly caught them and built a chicken coup near the new house. Now they would be able to gather fresh eggs every morning.

chicken-coup-and-chickens-purchased.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pond Area - The Park

In addition to Gary and Sierra's house, the pond area was given a bit of a facelift and was designated the park. Lights were strung up, and a bird feeder was set up. In the back of the area, a swing and a horseshoe pit were added for some fun. At the front, a chess table was placed near the pond. Over time, some more flowers would be planted.

park-area-expanded.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Francesca's House Re-Vamp

Since Gary and Sierra were sharing a house, Francesca decided to ask Claire if she wanted to share her house. They were good friends and had similar tastes. Francesca figured that if they moved some furniture around, two beds could fit in the bedroom. And so, that is exactly what they did.

madelyn-and-francesca.png

Cole also made a toilet for them to finish their bathroom, and an extra chair was added to the living room area. Claire knitted a carpet and a cute mailbox for the house. Draperies were also hung.

revanp-francesca-house.png

Outside, they placed a table with two chairs, Claire's easel, and kept Francesca's floral table. They moved the planter boxes with flowers to the side of the house. Their house is now complete.

revamp-outside-francescas-house.png

Madelyn's House Re-vamp

Additions to Madelyn's house were a toilet made by Cole, a stove, an extra light, and some draperies. A dumpster dive table was added outside to place ingredients for her potions. (Note: The stone piece under the cauldron is debug). A small fish bowl was added to place an angelfish, a key ingredient in one of her potions. Madelyn also knitted some rugs and a mailbox cover. Her house is now complete.

mdelyn-house-revamp.png

madelyn-outside-revamp.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The bills came and thankfully they had enough simoleons to cover it. Yikes! $5,663 simoleons. Probably all that furniture in their household inventory waiting to be placed.

bills-week-4.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The week started off with a sunny day and the survivors were happy that the storms were over...for now. Life continued for the survivors. Their power still was shaky and whenever they tried to use the computer, it would fizzle out after a few minutes.

True to her word, Sierra tended the garden everyday and got some expert advice from Gary. They spent an entire day moving the planter boxes around in preparation for a greenhouse that was going to be built before the cold weather hit.

true-to-her-word-sierra-does-lots-of-gardening.png

Fabian had helped with the planter box moves as well, and spoke to Gary about an idea he had. Fabian wanted to create a little bar area. He and Blake had put together a still and Fabian wanted to test out some of his fizzing recipes. He thought that the area near Gary's pond area would be a nice place for survivors to relax, sample some fizz, and enjoy themselves. Claire, who had overheard the conversation, thought it was a good idea, and maybe they could also enjoy some music while they sipped the fizz. She had recently unearthed a violin in the rubble and was anxious to try it out.

The more they talked about it, the more excited they got, and soon, all the survivors were working together to build an open-air bar.

the-fizzy-bar-beside-garys-house.png

With some teamwork, it wasn't long before the little fizzy bar was done. Now, they just needed Fabian to make some fizz.

fabian-loading-up-his-first-batch-of-fizz.png

Fabian loads apples for his first batch. Let's see what he makes.

the-fizzing-machine-is-working.png

The Fizzy Maker depends on electricity, so it's a good thing that the power is holding out. Depending on when Fabian's fizz was ready, they would hold a party to celebrate. (Note: The bar, Fizzing station, and the Petite Eloquent Occasion Dance Floor are new skill items. I also purchased two outdoor lights for the tables. Everything else they had, and I just moved it into this area. The overhead lights are debug. There is an overhead glass roof protecting them, so I will probably add a sterero in here as well.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, Cole was very busy upgrading all the beds that had been placed in houses.

upgrading-the-beds.png

Madelyn was the newest cowplant victim, as she milks back her energized essence. She definitely needs this as she is so tired and uncomfortable. Two days of this for Madelyn.

the-cowplant-sgtrikes-again.png

Oh hello! Is there a budding romance developing between Claire and Cole? This was an autonomous action on Cole's part. I quickly checked Cole's romance bar, and sure enough, he and Claire have some pink together. But, apparently, he has romantic feelings towards Fabian as well.

and-we-may-have-a-budding-romance-going-on-with-cole-and-claire.png

coles-love-interets.png

I decided to check all the survivor's relationships, and discovered that Madelyn has two love interests. One, is Felix Psyched, and the other is Sierra. Maybe Sierra should have moved in with Madelyn instead. lol

madelyns-love-interests.png

Francesca decides to do some upgrades on the stove, and maybe this will prevent more fires. We shall see if this works.

francesca-updating-applicances-handiness-level-10.png

And Blake autonomously kicks the soccer ball with Claire.

claire-and-blake-kick-a-soccer-ball-together.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ Milestones for Survivors ~

- Blake and Francesca maxed the Handiness Skill
    - Madelyn maxed the Knitting Skill
    - Cole is a Veteran Werewolf
    @SoulGal7 It seems your survivors are developing a real little community. I love all the effort Gary went to to care for Sierra so she could keep her frogs. What a sweetheart <3.
    edited April 2023
    @artistju

Week 5 Up-date:

GARY-AND-MADELYN-SLOW-DANCE-TOGETHER.png
    It's the first day of Fall and what better day than to have the grand opening of the Little Fizzy Bar. Fabian's first batch is ready, and he loads a second batch with honey. Everyone is anxious to try his brew.

FIZZY-HONEY-IS-THE-NEXT-BATCH.png

The power is sporadic as usual, but they do get in some dancing.

I-GUESS-BLAKE-TOOK-A-SWIM-WITH-THE-FROGS-IN-THE-FROG-POND.png

Blake decided he wanted to swim with the frogs. Maybe he had a bit too much juice.

BLAKE-HAS-THE-MOVES.png

And then he showed off some fancy dance moves with Francesca.

claire-plays-her-violin.png

And Claire played her violin for everyone...um...badly...but no-one seemed to mind.

party-time.png

In all, it was a great time, and the survivors thought this was a great addition to their community.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

An old generator was found and up-graded, and Cole discovered that they can produce biofuel from the insect hut. Maybe this will help with the power interruptions. (Note: It didn't, but it was worth a try).

they-found-an-old-generator-and-filled-it-with-biofuel-from-the-insect-hut.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A new ghost visited them. Oh...it was Mary Greenburg. Maybe she heard about the party. Just stay away from that cowplant!

a-new-ghost-is-visiting.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Speaking of the cowplant, yes, another victim. This time it was Fabian. That cowplant is working its way through all the survivors. Well, the survivors had enough of this plant, and placed it in Cole's werewolf enclosure and locked the gate. Ha! Take that cowplant!

dont-eat-the-cake.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And, of course, the bills arrive. Thankfully, they are selling lots of paintings, which is really helping their funds.

bills-first-week-of-fall.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There were 3 survivors left who didn't have a house. After much discussion, it was decided that they would all share a house together. Cole had said he didn't really need a house because he could sleep under the stars, but the survivors insisted that he be housed in a shelter. There was only one problem. They also needed an enclosure for Cole when he transformed that could be locked. And so, after much thought, the survivors came up with a plan to have a front and back door for the house. The front area would be similar to the enclosure, where the fence gate and front door could be locked. The back door could be accessed by the other survivors when the front door was inaccessible due to Cole being in the enclosure. The house was a bit narrow, but had an interesting design and suited everyone rather well.

The Yellow House: Cole, Fabian and Blake's House

Photos were taken during a rainstorm. A tropical hut.

the-eyllow-house-in-the-rain.png

front-of-house-with-werewolf-enclosure.png

The front door and enclosure area for Cole to use when his fury is too much.

The main level living room. The carpets in the house were knitted by Claire and Madelyn. The octopus on the table was knitted by Gary, as well as a llama cactus decor item in Blake's room. All housewarming gifts. Paintings on the walls were painted by Fabian, Blake, and Cole.

front-living-room-area.png

to-the-next-level.png

The kitchen is very small, and still needs a stove.

the-back-kitchen-and-very-small-bathroom-area.png

The bathroom as well is tiny, and I actually purchased that off-the-grid wall shower from the uni pack. They have a lot of showers, but I needed that one to make this room work.

bathroom-area.png

The door off of the kitchen leads to an overhead sheltered area with table and chairs. This is the back door, in case the front enclosure is being used as a containment area for Cole.

back-door-area.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Fabian's bedroom. Picture he painted is hung on the wall.

2nd-floor-bedroom.png

Blake's bedroom is a bit larger, but not by much. I had to switch out a single bed in Francesca's house, as the single bed that was left had no yellow swatches on it. It did have a green one, so worked perfectly in their house.

2nd-floor-front-bedroom.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Landing on 2nd floor. Stairs and ladder to third level. I will need to put a picture there as the wall looks bare.

anding-stairs-and-ladder-to-upper.png

The balcony outside of Cole's room. Yes, I bought them a little pool. lol

upper-balcony.png

Cole's open-air bedroom. Windows on both sides. I did purchase the werewolf painting, as I thought it would look good in the room. The "headboard" is made from fence pieces from Snowy Escape.

coles-room.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And, they even built a little area for their cowplant. The problem was that they forgot to lock the gate, and, Sierra has that chocolate cake craving.

permanent-spot-for-cowie.png

and-now-sierra.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As it was already autumn, the next priority for the survivors was keeping the plants safe, as this was their main food supply, and it was decided that a greenhouse would be built. And, so salvaging some windows and building materials from the ruined houses, they built a large greenhouse. Gary decided that they should keep two of each plant, and perhaps they would find more seasonal plants to grow. They had also built a separate area for the trees and excess trees were left outside near The Yellow House.

the-greenhouse.png

Gary had been giving a lot of thought to space and constructed some vertical planters for the greenhouse as well. Cole and Blake were working on some self-watering planters, but it was in the test stage right now.

gary-hard-at-work.png

Sierra decided to add a whimsical scarecrow. Everything looked pretty good.

the-tree-area.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Random lot trait removed is Off-the-Grid. I have never been so happy that they will have power again, although the bills will go up.

- Sierra and Madelyn maxed the Dance Skill
    - Claire maxed the Painting Skill
    - Sierra maxed the Gardening skill
    - Francesca maxed the Violin Skill and can now craft violins on the woodworking table
    - Francesca maxed the Entrepreneur skill (Level 5)
    - Cole maxed the Fishing Skill
    - Fabian and Madelyn painted their first masterpieces.
    @SoulGal7 Yay! everyone has a place. The greenhouse looks awesome.
    edited April 2023
    Part 8

Nathan's house is finished. Everyone gets tempted by Viper and disaster strikes the lot again.

Watch here:https://youtu.be/CbcsMuN3Wis

Part%208.png
    Part 9

Two more houses are built

Watch here: https://youtu.be/XkvZNpus4kU

Part%209.png

Part 10

Teddy the llama is very unhappy, can the group turn his mood around. The repo person arrives what will they take? The grim reaper appears. Could this be the end for one of our survivors.........?

Watch the episode here https://youtu.be/d5LuKZBwuG0

Part%2010.png

Part 11

A little Romance has started between two survivors. Kaylee is put to rest and someone has entered the compound. Will they be able to leave?

Watch the episode here:https://youtu.be/wnLRskUqc1M

Part%2011.png
    edited April 2023
    @artistju

Sorry for the delay in the up-dates. I had this partially done, and we had year-end at work and with the "bug" in the new up-date, decided to wait to load my game again. Here it is.

Week 6 Up-date: Challenge Completed

patchy-is-alive.png
    The week started off with Patchy coming alive! Yes, that scarecrow just left his tree and wandered around the lot. Of course, Sierra made friends with him right away. And, he gives all the survivors gardening tips if they ask, and they can even check his pockets for seed packets. So far, he has given them new items of tomatoes, potatoes, snowdrops, grow fruit, strawberries, and an angry magical bean. This scarecrow is such a great addition to their lot.

And Patchy even helps harvest.

patchy-helping-to-harvest.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

With the power back on, the survivors had to decide what to keep and what to recycle from their vast inventory of repaired furniture. They definitely wanted to keep items for the community center, so it was decided that any beds that were of lower quality than what they had would be recycled. For now, they are keeping all the couches, chairs, tables, and bathroom items.

The next area that they would build would be the community center, which would be a huge undertaking. Blake had also suggested that they have a fitness area somewhere on the lot. In the meantime, the survivors continued on crafting and selling items on plopsy.

club-gathering-working-on-getting-simoleons.png

cross-stich-and-knitting.png

They continued to dumpster dive and repair items.

repairs-continue.png

And the survivors were hit with another volcanic eruption. Wow! That was close Sierra!

it-nearly-hit-me.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They worked a long time getting the community center built, and there were still a few areas that needed some work. Here is the finished project.

finished-community-center-outside.png

First Floor:

1st-floor-comm-center.png

1st-floor-with-new-stairs.png

The build incorporated the "old" library, and they built new stairs to the 2nd floor.

computer-and-crafting-area.png

A small gym area.

small-gym-area.png

Second Floor:

2nd-floor-comm-center.png

upstairs-community-kitchen.png

A community kitchen where they can all eat together.

small-tv-area.png

Very small tv area.

art-and-music-area.png

Art and music area.

2nd-floor-balcony.png

2nd floor balcony.

There is a bathroom outside at the back of the new community center.

outside-leading-to-main-bathroom.png

main-bathroom-with-shower-and-tub-rev.png

They also renovated the front entrance.

yhr-front-area-a-bit-enhanced.png

And added a laundry area. There are laundry baskets in each house.

small-laundry-area-and-every-house-has-a-laundry-basket.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~