Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Umbrella owner trait

What determines which sims gets an umbrella and who doesn't?

Only a rare few of my households own the umbrella rack, but almost all my sims have umbrellas. I never paid attention, being under the impression that every sim by default got a black umbrella. But there seems to be a not so obvious mechanic, because yesterday I started a Rags to Riches challenge, and the challenge sim much to my glee never got an umbrella. He's getting wet and uncomfortable and it's fantastic. I'd like to keep him umbrella less until he can afford a rack.

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    The system is simple for me.

Every NPC sim automatically get an umbrella if they don't have it and they need it due to rain. To get your sim an umbrella, there are two ways:
    1. Get the umbrella rack.
    2. Switch households and get that sim you want to get an umbrella to get out during rain.

Though it is an annoying system to those who don't want a particular sim to have an umbrella and play rotationally.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Ah, so that's why all my other sims manifest umbrellas. I play irregular rotations and switch households a lot.

Thank you for the explanation, looks like I'll be fine with my challenge sim as long as I stick to his household.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I use MCCC and there is a function that allows for me to pick my Sims' favorite umbrella, as well as set their favorite drink.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    There definitely seems to be a hidden umbrella token that Sims you aren't playing get. I suppose it makes sense. It would be weird to go to a park and have every Sim just walking around getting soaked.

This does remind me, I need to give my current Sim an umbrella rack. She keeps getting soaked coming home from school.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    I dislike how sims take out their umbrellas autonomously so much weird glitchy stuff could be avoided if they didn't

like sure its funny sometimes but like 90% of the time its just kinda annoying
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    If you do switch household and your sim acquires an umbrella autonomously, you can click on an umbrella stand to put it away. That removes the assignment, afaik.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    One of my biggest complaints is that we as a player cannot choose who does and doesn’t use an umbrella.
    Autonomous umbrella & phone use...really… I’m losing my temper just thinking about it.
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    If you do switch household and your sim acquires an umbrella autonomously, you can click on an umbrella stand to put it away. That removes the assignment, afaik.

@EmmaVane Most of my Sims do not even own an umbrella stand and they still manage to whip out an umbrella at the slightest hint of drizzle.
    Are you saying that by placing an umbrella stand in my sims’ house I should be able to manually put away the umbrella so that my sim doesn’t use it autonomously? Ever? Even when they’re in the rainforest a few days later?

I will try this regardless.
    Let me do a little rain dance for my sims... 😈
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    @Simmingal you mean like this?
    08-that-good-old-umbrella-through-the-nose-prank.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @mightysprite Oh, wow! Who would have thought that this harmless life simulation game would ever include such a brutal new death: Impaled through the face by an umbrella! :D
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    @EmmaVane Good to know! I'll do that with unwanted umbrellas in the future. Can I safely assume that umbrella stands on community lots will work for this purpose?
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited February 2023
    One of my biggest complaints is that we as a player cannot choose who does and doesn’t use an umbrella.
    Autonomous umbrella & phone use...really… I’m losing my temper just thinking about it.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

@EmmaVane Most of my Sims do not even own an umbrella stand and they still manage to whip out an umbrella at the slightest hint of drizzle.
    Are you saying that by placing an umbrella stand in my sims’ house I should be able to manually put away the umbrella so that my sim doesn’t use it autonomously? Ever? Even when they’re in the rainforest a few days later?

I will try this regardless.
    Let me do a little rain dance for my sims... 😈

Yes, it'll work as long as you're playing this specific household. After switching to another family your sims may have an umbrella again.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    @EmmaVane Good to know! I'll do that with unwanted umbrellas in the future. Can I safely assume that umbrella stands on community lots will work for this purpose?

I believe so, yes. I've used them at other sim's houses, so I assume lot ownership is unrelated, which makes sense as it's a hidden trait on the sim.