Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it just me or...

Does anyone else feel like there are waaay too many thunderstorms in summer? It has stormed for almost the entire first week of summer! My daughter wants to play on her private playground but has been trapped inside.

Every game it feels like this!

So is it just me?

Comments

• NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member

It depends on the world but yes, in some worlds there are so many thunderstorms that I disabled the thunder in my base save.

Happy simming!
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member

@PenguinFoop it could depend on the world and seasons for that world, some may be more prone to frequent thunderstorms than others. You could turn them off in gamepley options or buy the weather machine to change it. Think you need a certain handiness level for some options but not sure.

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member

I usually play in Newcrest because I like the idea of being a founding family of a community but in any world that I have played, it feels like this.

I love thunderstorms irl and in game except that everyone has been scared for almost a week like the lightening is going to get into the house or something. And I don't want to waste aspiration points on Storm Chaser, which I couldn't even do on the four toddlers anyway.

edited February 2023

@Starfree the weather station is a good idea but I just wish there was a way to lower the frequency in settings or something. Thunderstorms are awesome in game but just too frequent for my outdoorsy sims.

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member

Actually, I feel like there aren't enough. In my games, during the summer season I'll get maybe 1?

Since my game is about creating funny scenarios (mostly outdoors), I say bring on the thunder and heavy rains 😁

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member

I find the thunderstroms too frequent in most worlds. I like the but just feel that there are too many.

@Nate_Whiplash1 wanna change worlds? 😆

In all fairness though, I too have only had one thunderstorm, [i]it's just lasted five days[/i].

• SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2023
    For sims who live in Sulani, this is more the case in winter. Actually, rain and thunderstorms are fairly uncommon in Sulani during other seasons. I've had to resort to a bit of weather control via Dr. June's device, on the rare occasion, when that threatens to disrupt an outdoor event one of the households are having.

I do like how the different worlds have their own weather trends. Copperdale often becomes deadly cold in winter, which prompted me to add a thermostat to the high school and auditorium. The same to a lesser degree in Moonwood Mill, but the werewolves don't mind as they're furry and thus not much bothered by cold temperatures.

If you happen to have a merperson playable, their magic can clear the skies (or cause a downpour,) if a more (super)natural solution seems appropriate. It'd be even more fun if one could ask a friendly unplayed mer to do this.

I agree. I like the diversity in atmosphere. So it's seeming like Newcrest is just a miserable in summer. So, maybe vacation time? 🤔

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

I use a weather mod that fine tunes weather patterns to better match whatever world I'm playing in so I know what to expect. No out of control weather here. Maybe be worth turning thunder storms off in your game when you want some peace or to achieve certain goals.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/

My main curiosity was whether it seemed out of control to others or if it was just me.

I didn't realize that the weather was so extremely localized. It makes sense about Sulani and Mount Korabi so I should have figured it for the rest. I do like the random and unpredictable aspect of the weather too.

@SimplyJen yeah, temporarily turning it off could do the job and there are many ways to control it and I may do so.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member

I do. So much so that I turned rain off at one point. Where I live we do have thunderstorms, primarily in the summer months, but the game is on overkill, I think.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member

I agree that they're way overboard. I use UICheats to change the weather if it goes on too long.

• SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member

I've resorted to vacations for families stuck in lengthy horrid weather, more than a couple times. Seems like a perfectly realistic and acceptable solution to me!

My only real complaint, when it comes to thunderstorms, is that lightning seems to be strangely attracted to beach towels. The pair of buddies I have living in the Admiral's Wreckage in Sulani go through at least a few every monsoon season, as they're frequently reduced to piles of ash by lightning strikes. One would think they'd just be blown away when left out during high winds, but the lightning always gets to them first. It's so reliable that I've used towels to attract lightning for purposes of getting lightning strike photos.

• MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member

I get a couple, not many...

If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member

agreed - i've gotten a lot more thunderstorms lately. i ended up just turning them off.

• DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member

Too many thunderstorms and too many blizzards, especially in Newcrest, San Myshuno and Windenberg.

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited February 2023

In my game there used to be way too much thunderstorms in Brindleton Bay, but not anymore. I don't know what happened, but for some reason it got fixed (maybe EA did it). There used to be thunderstorms almost every day in BB during summer, but now it's only few days which is okay for me. I haven't had any similar problems with other worlds.

When the thunderstorms happened every day I had to limit my Sims moving to BB or purchase them all Storm Chaser reward traits. It was annoying because BB is my favorite world. Now I don't have to do it anymore, I actually get surprised every time whenever there is a thunderstorm happening.

So it's not just me.

I do love the random weather and yes, sometimes real weather goes on and on so it's not entirely unrealistic. However, a real season lasts for approximately 3 months but these seasons are only about 1/3 of a real season so every day is that much more important.

So if this is by design, then that's fine. As in real life, some people flee the north during the cold. So it looks like my family my be fleeing Newcrest for the summer. I just wish we could have more than one home per family if the weather is going to be like this.

Also, using a beach towel for a lighting rod??? 😱 Now that's insane but somehow interesting!

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member

Lightning strikes are also attracted to flat roofs. As for the weather, I think it goes through patterns. At one time with one particular sim, all outdoor furniture was struck by lightning so many times that I eventually gave up replacing it. On another occasion, I was so tired of constant rain that I took my sim to other neighbourhoods in search of sunshine and clear skies, only for the rain to just follow along. Also, not really possible to escape the cold, because it's winter season in all neighbourhoods at the same time, I had snow fall in Oasis Springs and Stangerville and there's monsoon season in Sulani.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    edited February 2023

I recall having this issue when MWS released

it would pretty much always be thunderstorm

idk if it was Tartosa and Newcrest issue though

since it seemed to improve when i went back in my sweet Forgotten Hollow

I also slightly suspect it might be the karma of using weather machine constantly to undo the thunderstorm

but thats pure superstition on my part 😆

Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited February 2023

I also got the impression that extreme weather was a lot more prominent in TS4 than in real life, especially back in the early days of Seasons. I remember playing with the Goths in summer, and it was basically raining 24/7, with many thunderstorms to go with it as well. It got so bad that I had to avoid Willow Creek and similar worlds because the incessant thunder rumbling gave me headaches. When I returned to the family in winter, blizzards had replaced the thunderstorms, and Mortimer froze to death in the streets before I could do anything.

While I think it has been toned down in the meantime, it still rains enough that ever getting dry clothes again if you're playing Laundry Day with an old-fashioned clothesline instead of a dryer is quite the feat. That's why I only do that in desert worlds anymore. And the problem with the weather machine is that it merely delays whatever weather you're trying to get rid of, after a few hours at best it always comes back in full force, at least in my experience.

Yeah, I've noticed that the rain has followed my kids to school, my wife to the movie studio, my husband to other lots.

The thing is that I haven't used the weather machine and mine is the only house in Newcrest at the moment, so I know it's not some evil neighbor in their basement. I suppose it could be a merperson visiting the lot? Oh great, now your superstition has fueled my conspiracy complex. Thanks tons!

I had a townie go jogging in winter once with just shorts. He froze to death on a public lot.

I only ever put my clothesline on the back porch if I'm using one. It's the way my dear ol' mammy used to do.

Good to know about the weather machine, I think I bought it once long ago and then only used it once. lol Same with the merfolk. I only used the weather one time with one merman. Is it the same issue with them?

• Dmitriy1Dmitriy1 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @PenguinFoop said:
    > Does anyone else feel like there are waaay too many thunderstorms in summer? It has stormed for almost the entire first week of summer! My daughter wants to play on her private playground but has been trapped inside.
    > Every game it feels like this!
    > So is it just me?

I think there's a machine you can place that manipulates the weather. I never tried it yet myself.
    Dr. June's Weather Control Device can be found in the Outdoor Activities section of Buy Mode, and costs $1,500 Simoleons. However, it is only available if you own the Seasons expansion pack
  • Dmitriy1Dmitriy1 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @SteveBridger said:
    > I've resorted to vacations for families stuck in lengthy horrid weather, more than a couple times. Seems like a perfectly realistic and acceptable solution to me!
    > My only real complaint, when it comes to thunderstorms, is that lightning seems to be strangely attracted to beach towels. The pair of buddies I have living in the Admiral's Wreckage in Sulani go through at least a few every monsoon season, as they're frequently reduced to piles of ash by lightning strikes. One would think they'd just be blown away when left out during high winds, but the lightning always gets to them first. It's so reliable that I've used towels to attract lightning for purposes of getting lightning strike photos.

This is why I want the Island living soon, not to live there, but to have this rental place made for all mine. That and Snowy Escapes. Though there I could see making a Japanese family, plus a rental.