Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 won't be an MMO confirm!

They made it clear on the stream that project rene will not be an MMO.That single player is still a part of the sims and multiplayer is only an option.If you want someone to play with you.

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I'm so happy about that :)
    gen3-banner.png
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,660 Member
    Yay!🥰 MMO was the one no, absolutely not feature. Thankfully they didn't wander into that abyss and now I'm actually looking forward to seeing the progress updates. The stuff that Grant was showing in build/buy mode had me kind of giddy to be honest. Sounds like we're getting some serious customization options.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Frankly I am not sure if they were going to make a MMO function with all those customization option. TS3 was visibly loading textures all the time and there were hardly any sims on the lots.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    this is very good news indeed
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    I was very pleased to hear that!
    Also props to giving us this info so early, because they knew we were stressing over this. So this transparecy was very welcome and I hope they are gonna keep doing this!
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I’m glad that we can still play by ourselves & that the online feature is only an option! :smile:
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    So glad to hear that! I always thought doing multiplayer in a style similar to Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley would be the best way to go!

I wonder how mods & cc will work with this game, though? Perhaps CurseForge will help with getting mods allowed for both PC and Mobile? Maybe it'll be a little similar to how modded minecraft servers work? Looking forward to future news, I really hope mods are supported!
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I'm glad Sims won't be multiplayer unless on your terms, which is what I got from the livestream. I don't know why EA keeps thinking we want to play with others, when we go to a game that lets you control everything to play with a simulated human being.

I am also glad it sounds like the mobile features will be an addition to the game and not a part of the game. My mother, an avid Sims player since Sims 1, has never owned a smartphone. I do, but prefer not to game on it as it drains the battery so fast.

I also hope EA remembers some households have more than one player in them. With Sims 1 and 2 we had to divide up the neighborhoods. With 3 and 4 we were glad to have player named saves. I hope the new technology EA will use for the multiplayer, and probably server gameplay will allow us to play it the same way. There is NO WAY we will be able to purchase multiple versions of the same game. I'm telling you, if anything is an automatic out for me, that is it. EA Guru's take note.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Good news! Online/multiplayer is a definite bail out for me. So is mobile phone as phones just don't have the horsepower a PC does and the screens are microscopic.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Good news many of us would abandon ship if they forced MMO but I still wonder if the game is going to suffer because it's online feature
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 292 Member
    They made it clear on the stream that project rene will not be an MMO.That single player is still a part of the sims and multiplayer is only an option.If you want someone to play with you.
    It not being mmo doesn't necessarily mean same as it wont be live service, which would be bad route to take. YongYea just been covering how many live services are dying and closing down.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member

I'm very happy about this!

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

What does live service have anything to do with mmo?

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited February 2023

Aren't they (TS4 I mean) already a live service anyways?

• honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member

i was cautiously relieved by grant's comments re: multiplayer and a mobile version. i have zero interest in multiplayer but have no problem with a version of it being an option as long as it doesn't impact quality/depth of the game itself. same goes for mobile.

Nothing in particular, however some major concerns have been if it was multiplayer exclusive or online required. So while they may have said its not mmo, it doesn't necessarily mean it wont still require you to be online connected, take warhammer 40k inquisitor martyr for instance, playing multiplayer is optional there but you can't play game without needing to be online. Another example is Diablo 2 resurrected multiplayer is optional but if you want to have option to play it with friends you need to have battlenet online account.

So until they say it wont have live services specifically I would not rule that out entirely, yet.

Well I don't believe so in traditional sense, that most usually associate live services with something you have to always be connected to. TS4 has it optionally you can perfectly fine just switch into offline mode and play the game and it works. Many do that sometimes after patches out of fear mods they use would be broken by patch until mod creators update mods. Live services in TS4 only extend to gallery usage but don't require connectivity for anything else besides patching or installing the game.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

I'm happy that they addressed this during the livestream. Hopefully they will reconsider making it cross-platform with mobile as well. I'm fine with them making a mobile game version but make it separate from the PC/Mac version.

EA also recently canceled two mobile games (Apex Legends Mobile and Battlefield Mobile).

I don't think in real be bad.The basic thing seems you can take it to go.They made it clear that the mobile will have different features for it than the PC version.

• bootsguybootsguy Posts: 890 Member
    At least they can make it as an option for those who want to play the game with other players online!
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Sounded to me like the game will be on EA servers instead of on our own devices so we can invite players to join or play by ourself.
    If it requires being online to play then count me out. Online means EA can monitor everything I do (as in all those stats they mention time to time) and it means that I can't avoid the game breaking bugs/updates TS4 is infamous for. Much prefer to play with the cable unplugged.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Online should be optional, not mandatory. Suppose my Internet goes down? Suppose EA servers go down?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Online should be optional, not mandatory. Suppose my Internet goes down? Suppose EA servers go down?

There no proof that it needs be online.
    And nothing in writing that confirms that offline play is possible. I don't trust them.