The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you want/expect in upcoming Generations (?) pack?

13...Next

Comments

• LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    navyshades wrote: »
    I just really want a pack that doesn't feel like a "one and done" situation. Expansion packs have generally been better in this sense than game packs, but when I look at recent EPs, they're increasingly falling into this pattern as well. eg. Snowy Escape... I sent my sims on a holiday, did all the things, and now it doesn't feel like there's a reason to go back and do it again. Same with High School Years. Most of the game packs are like this where there's a set objective/storyline to follow and then once you've done it once it doesn't really add to ongoing gameplay. The only game packs that really breaks this mould is Parenthood, which is one of my favourites, and perhaps occult packs since they can enhance everyday playing if you're into that (which I'm not particularly).

I just really hope that whatever we get in this EP translates well to all my save files/families and enhances gameplay in dynamic ways, rather than forcing the player down a predetermined route that doesn't offer much replay value. Some of the best additions in recent packs have been new systems such as memories, likes/dislikes, scenarios, etc. because they add depth and richness to gameplay without being prescriptive. I want to see more features like this.

For a Generations type pack, that could include a midlife crisis system, better family relationships with distinctive interactions, more complex/nuanced family dynamics, etc. One of my biggest gripes with the game in general that impacts gameplay constantly is the fact that all relationships except romantic ones are represented on a -100 to 100 friendship scale which is so simplistic. There's no differentiation between friendships, sibling relationships, etc. I would love to see a system where there might be strong familial love between siblings, but there is constant bickering and rivalry as well. Or friendships that fluctuate more quickly. Even if this was as simple as having some pop-ups like, "Your brother used your toothbrush. Gross! Do you a) punch him, b) talk it out, c) just buy a new toothbrush" and an accompanying moodlet that lasts a few in game days. Anything like that would help create more dynamic and realistic relationships.

One thing I'm sure we won't ever get but that I'd absolutely love would be selectable relationship traits (beyond just the automatic ones that are assigned like 'lovebirds'). There is already an existing system for automatic relationship traits, and there are individual character traits and lot traits, so why not relationship traits? Imagine having 2 kids in a household and being able to choose different relationship traits between the mother and those kids. Maybe the son is seen as the golden child but the relationship with the daughter is strained. That would then influence gameplay outcomes and would come with specific interactions/moodlets/etc. specific to that relationship. I would absolutely love some kind of system like this to add depth and realism, but like I said, I doubt we're going to get something like this unfortunately.

The relationship trait thing has like so much potential. On one hand, I can absolutely see that being used to cause more trauma to your sims/work out your own personal traumas through the relationships you create for your Sims. Especially if there's a "golden child" bc if they exist so too do the "black sheep" and "scapegoat", oftentimes as the same person. But it would make good storytelling. Can you imagine the Disney Princess Challenge if Cinderella actually was able to a real wicked stepmother? And had the trait that caused the stepmother to autonomously treat her poorly/cue up scenarios? That'd be intense.

Or on a more healed side, you could just more accurately depict relationships. Having siblings you love but don't like. Or ones you don't know that well bc they were born after your Sim moved out, so they aren't close in age or friendship, but love exists. Versus the ones who are siblings and best friends. Or become friends as adults.

Maybe we could finally get the game to recognize that you Can in fact have more than one best friend. Because the way you are friends is different depending on the person you're dealing with. And while you might be really good friends with like 2-20 other people; the only ones who are close enough to be called your best friends are these other 3 people that are in a whole different strata from the former.

And though I very much doubt they'll get this in the game any time soon, it would work so well with defining other types of relationships. If you could define the way you love, care, and feel affection for sims better in game, then that allows for easier definition of relationships that don't fit the standard. Like Polyamorous relationships, Queer Platonic relationships, Platonic life-partnerships, and any other dynamic that the game doesn't currently allow you to work with. Because labeling your Sim a player just so they can date 2 sims, and marry one of them isn't the best workaround. And rather reductive stereotyping. Especially since the requirements for that trait, if you complete it normally, require you to be a horrible romantic partner.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Reallysoawkward23Reallysoawkward23 Posts: 175 Member
    One small thing I miss is when you would hover over another sim and under their name it would say their relationship (wife, son, brother, etc). I’d like that to return and be expanded to include step-parents, in-laws, etc. I’d also like unique interactions for specific relationships, like interactions only grandparents do to grandchildren (example: pinch cheek).

I’d also want to see funerals, or at least more of a fitting end for our sims. Perhaps retirement homes.

I’d love babywearing to be included, like in the concept art, but I don’t really see how that could be implemented. Bikes for kids, new toys, more after school activities and hobbies for all ages would also be great.
  • Reallysoawkward23Reallysoawkward23 Posts: 175 Member
    Also I’d like to second the desire for a very simple way to take a family photo that involves the entire family. Personally I’d prefer not to have to bother with having another sim take the picture- I want more “automatic” pictures like the graduation pictures, Photo Booth pictures, etc. I’d love automatic wedding pictures, even if there were always the same poses, and easy family pictures like that- that include toddlers!
  • flaminganakinflaminganakin Posts: 36 Member

As far as gameplay OBJECTS, I hope we get:
    --strollers
    --kids' bikes
    --playpens
    --canes & walkers
    --treehouses
    --slides
    --seesaws
    --springy ride(s)
    --baby swings
    --non-activity table Kids' toys like:
    --rocking horse
    --toy oven
    --dress up chest
    --bake sale/lemonade stand
    --kites
    --remote control car

In terms of GAMEPLAY, ACTIVITIES, NPCs, I'm hoping for:
    --more afterschool activities (ballet, karate, etc)
    --daycare/babysitting career
    --boarding school/private school for child & teen sims
    --more games for Kids-> hopscotch, hide & seek
    --sleepovers
    --paper boy/girl
    --improved family trees
    --graveyard lot type
    --more animations/interactions rather than pop-up screens
  • ThirteenCatz2ThirteenCatz2 Posts: 80 Member
    Daycare Center / Career
    Cars

But most of all...

Grim Reaper Career
    Zombies
    Funerals
  • HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2023
    I really hope that they make a dual lot type that allows your sims to have a home business like a daycare . I also hope they make a separate daycare facility where sims can physically drop off and pick up their child as well as the ability to have your sim work there and interact with the kids there. It could be for infant through child stage and end when the become a preteen / teen . Also could act as a preschool or elementary school of sorts in which you could have parent teacher conferences and field trips.
  • HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    Also they could add in more wedding things that are heirloom like a pretty or ugly wedding veil , wedding dress, jewelry etc.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    What I would want is Preteens as a life stage,

infants and toddlers to have more items like strollers, pacifiers, playmats, swings, maybe a walker for infants. Diaper changing station, more highchairs and cribs and pottys. More toys and playground equipment, Daycare to be open not just when parents to to work or leave the lot but just to be open.

Kids needs more after school activities like ballet, baseball, void critters tournament, tree house club, more playing like tag, ms Mary Mack, play make believe more playground equipment.

Teens should have a hangout spot not a lot trait, not a group formed by the player but a actual hangout spot that teens npc would frequently go to hang out we have bolba tea which I like but we need more, also sneak out but a chance to get caught by police. High School years NEEDS TO HAVE IN CLASS GAMEPLAY!!! RAISING HANDS TO ASK AND ANSWER QUESTIONS, DO LATE HOMEWORK, SLEEP, PASS NOTES, TAKE NOTES TO HELP WITH THE HOME WORK!!! DETENTION DO HOMEWORK!!! it's a school pack but where's the school part at? Career Day WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSITY DAY WHERE UBRITE AND FOXBURY COMES AND TALK ABOUT THE SCHOOL THE FOOTBALL GAME HOW DO WE HAVE A FOOTBALL FEILD, AND RABBIT HOLE PRACTICE BUT WE DON'T HAVE A GAME LIKE IN DU??? Who thought up this pack to label it it as a school pack but took the main reason why it's a school out like...anyways

YA and A are ok.

Elders should have a cane, walker, senior citizen discount, Bingo/Myshuno night, dance night.

Family stuff have a family game night, family dinner, family reunion, family movie night.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    CAS:
    • More unique traits for kids and elders
    • More clothing and hair options for elders, kids, toddlers, and infants

Build/Buy:
    1. Treehouse
    2. Trampoline
    3. Skateboards
    4. Bikes/trikes for kids and tots
    5. Outside playhouse for kids/tots
    6. Playground equipment
    7. Strollers
    8. Walking canes

Gameplay:
    • Sleepovers
    • After-school activities
    • Private / boarding school
    • Kids can play tag, mary mac, cops and robbers with other kids.
    • Kids and tots can play peekaboo and similar games with each other and infants
    • Funerals
    • Retirement options for elders/nursing homes
    • Teens and kids can introduce friends to their parents
    • Can ask parents for their blessing for marriage
    • family reunions
    • Grandparents or other family members can babysit the kids
    • Parents can go on walks with their kids as a family

This isn't everything I would want in a generations pack and honestly, I don't think they would give us everything on my list either. I can see them breaking up funerals and retirement and putting them in an elder pack that comes with a nursing home and aftercare. Kind of like what they did with wedding stories.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    lunnarila wrote: »
    acknowledging further family members such as uncles, aunts, cousin, in-laws, niece, nephew etc)

What does that mean?
  • lunnarilalunnarila Posts: 221 Member
    SimSoon wrote: »
    lunnarila wrote: »
    acknowledging further family members such as uncles, aunts, cousin, in-laws, niece, nephew etc)

What does that mean?

huh? sim recognizes wider ranger of family memers like uncle/aunt, in-laws, etc, what else was it suppose to mean?
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited January 2023
    Seeing that the dentures are coming in the bathroom clutter kit, I’m now thinking that the expansion pack won’t be generations necessarily, & will instead focus on younger sims.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    What I would want is Preteens as a life stage,

infants and toddlers to have more items like strollers, pacifiers, playmats, swings, maybe a walker for infants. Diaper changing station, more highchairs and cribs and pottys. More toys and playground equipment, Daycare to be open not just when parents to to work or leave the lot but just to be open.

Kids needs more after school activities like ballet, baseball, void critters tournament, tree house club, more playing like tag, ms Mary Mack, play make believe more playground equipment.

Teens should have a hangout spot not a lot trait, not a group formed by the player but a actual hangout spot that teens npc would frequently go to hang out we have bolba tea which I like but we need more, also sneak out but a chance to get caught by police. High School years NEEDS TO HAVE IN CLASS GAMEPLAY!!! RAISING HANDS TO ASK AND ANSWER QUESTIONS, DO LATE HOMEWORK, SLEEP, PASS NOTES, TAKE NOTES TO HELP WITH THE HOME WORK!!! DETENTION DO HOMEWORK!!! it's a school pack but where's the school part at? Career Day WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSITY DAY WHERE UBRITE AND FOXBURY COMES AND TALK ABOUT THE SCHOOL THE FOOTBALL GAME HOW DO WE HAVE A FOOTBALL FEILD, AND RABBIT HOLE PRACTICE BUT WE DON'T HAVE A GAME LIKE IN DU??? Who thought up this pack to label it it as a school pack but took the main reason why it's a school out like...anyways

YA and A are ok.

Elders should have a cane, walker, senior citizen discount, Bingo/Myshuno night, dance night.

Family stuff have a family game night, family dinner, family reunion, family movie night.

About teens, you can set any location as a teen hangout and teen npcs will hang around. I like your ideas, those are all mostly things that exist in sims3.

Sims4 really was kind of like the underperformed younger sibling standing in sims3's shadow, only getting certain things far later than was done previously.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am hoping for changing tables since I didn't see those in the update. Strollers would be nice too, but I would be happy with the backpack we saw.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    If it's Generations....show some love to the elders and quit making them so decrepit.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

I personally like the ‘one and done’ expansions. Go to a place, spend a bunch of time there, do everything there is to do then go back to the rest of the game again. I think Snowy Escape took about 4 months and was really fun and I like this kind of expansion a lot. It feels like getting a whole new game.

But I know a lot of people want expansions to impact any game that they are playing even if they don’t want to move to the new world or make new sims for it.

I think Growing Together will have a bit of both. There looks to be good reasons to play with the new world and make a family with all the lifestages (except maybe teens) in it but also seems like you will feel bits of it in any game there is families and that it will add a lot to most peoples game.

I’m really looking forward to this pack, I think it looks really good.

• ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member

My wants (don't expect though realistically):

1. More games for kids to play, whether that be objects or fun games like board games/puzzles
    2. Canes and maybe hiking stick
    3. Strollers/baby carrying methods
    4. Slumber party event and maybe asking to stay over using regular guest bedrooms
    5. Allowance for kids & teens/inheritance from grandparents?
    6. Elderly Community Centers and/or retirement homes
    7. Treehouses
    8. After-school activities/Field trips--maybe some active? Would love following kids to school but guessing that's too much for one EP
    9. Play pretend/tea parties with carryable stuffed animals
    10. Costume play not just Halloween
    11. Elderly activities
    12. More hobbies/activities
    13. More parties/ways to invite folks over
    14. Better relationship options in CAS and real-world
    15. Updated camera options and video recording
    16. Growing pains updated and midlife crisis
    17. Tooth fairy! Maybe a real fairy?
    18. New career or two--daycare, more teaching options?
    19. If a new occult maybe imaginary friends again? Though hopefully less creepy!
    20. More clutter that also might represent real items, like the dentures example
    21. Bikes for kids and maybe one day they'll include a small tiny tricycles for toddlers or one of those little battery cars?

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Game Arcade venue

Community Center venue(for all ages)

Multi-Purpose community lots

Amusement park

No more rabbit holes-they're useless,pointless and annoying

No more pointless decor buildings-they take up space and they're completely useless.

Why do you hide inside these walls?