Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your Merfolk doing today?

Comments

• GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    A couple days ago, I visited my married mermaid Sims. The two of them are females, and weren't able to have kids. I had them adopt two girls. I aged the girls up to teens, and plan to have their oldest adopted daughter become a mermaid after her mothers. Their younger adopted daughter I plan to have her pursue a different supernatural path by either becoming a Vampire, Werewolf, or Spell caster.

you can take them into CAS and choose Add Sim and there is a DNA option and you can make the sim a combination of any two sims in the household. I did this for Greg and Vlad and after a few 'Randomize' attempts i had a beautiful sim based on both of them. I just had to fine tune and make it fun.
    I did not know that, I did know you could edit a male and female sim, and give them a child.
    I will have to do that with them, and give them some biological kids. In the save file they are the only Mermaids that I created so far, so it will be a good way to add more.
    I may still plan to have their adopted children become members of the supernatural.

Yep, DNA in CAS is sometimes a good option as well if you have a large number of Sims in game & spinning the genetic wheel the old fashioned way can resort in some pretty odd glitches coming up. Most of my born in game sims are from woohoo and whatever turns up on birthday is usually all good, but sometimes if I've had sims give birth a few times to glitched out oddities I'll usually end up just going into CAS -> Play around with genetics -> Pick out the parents -> Randomise child. Doing it that way you can tell what they'll look like as a teen, and then age them back to a toddler if you want to go through the whole toddler and child stage as well. :)

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Mine are sitting around fiddling their fins somewhere in the ether since I haven't created any on this save yet. I'm sure they are all just waiting to be born.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited February 2023
    I only have one mermaid in my rotation, and he isn't even a full one yet. First I downloaded a lot of cc that I want him to have, then I gradually put the pieces on my sim. I started with scales on the legs, then on the arms, then pointy ears covered by hair, then the sim got a new hairstyle that actually revealed the ears. I also sent him to a Sulani vacation so that he could do everything he won't be able to do as a mermaid anymore (sunbathing, snorkling, using the diving ladder and taking the special baths).

Jin with the scales:
    6c3fb6b581649a8ec6c7b0268ee90d3f3a46485b.png

And with the ears exposed:
    9c59f67b48b1f1ad4e203e479c03398b51bbba03.png

The next step will be adding gills to Jin's human form and then to feed him the kelp. In his merform Jin's ears will be larger, his skin will be dark blue and he will also have arm- and backfins.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    @Kerrigan It’s all good. The info was very insightful! Thank you!
    @Umbreon12 I look forward to reading more updates!

Thank you, I may edit my mermaid couple a biological child or two, but still plan to have their first adopted child follow in their footsteps on being a mermaid.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,123 Member
    Well, my poor Ariel Sea & her husband Eric have to wait over a month before they have their baby Melody. :'(
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Thought I would test out the screenshots. Here's a teaser of what's to come with my story update. I might delay my story update while they fine tune the forums.

52666171093_7c427d1e29_b.jpg

@SERVERFRA The new pack didn't give me a lot of inspiration for merfolk gameplay, but I look forward to your update. Sounds like you got some inspiration I didn't get which does make me a little more excited.
    A couple days ago, I visited my married mermaid Sims. The two of them are females, and weren't able to have kids. I had them adopt two girls. I aged the girls up to teens, and plan to have their oldest adopted daughter become a mermaid after her mothers. Their younger adopted daughter I plan to have her pursue a different supernatural path by either becoming a Vampire, Werewolf, or Spell caster.

you can take them into CAS and choose Add Sim and there is a DNA option and you can make the sim a combination of any two sims in the household. I did this for Greg and Vlad and after a few 'Randomize' attempts i had a beautiful sim based on both of them. I just had to fine tune and make it fun.
    I did not know that, I did know you could edit a male and female sim, and give them a child.
    I will have to do that with them, and give them some biological kids. In the save file they are the only Mermaids that I created so far, so it will be a good way to add more.
    I may still plan to have their adopted children become members of the supernatural.

Yep, DNA in CAS is sometimes a good option as well if you have a large number of Sims in game & spinning the genetic wheel the old fashioned way can resort in some pretty odd glitches coming up. Most of my born in game sims are from woohoo and whatever turns up on birthday is usually all good, but sometimes if I've had sims give birth a few times to glitched out oddities I'll usually end up just going into CAS -> Play around with genetics -> Pick out the parents -> Randomise child. Doing it that way you can tell what they'll look like as a teen, and then age them back to a toddler if you want to go through the whole toddler and child stage as well. :)

Genetics in the game can be super weird when it comes to in-game born Sims. So, I do occasionally edit my male/female pairings, didn't know that you could do the same with the male/male and female/female couples, which my Mermaids are a female/female couple.
    Back to the Sims I edited, one parent had blue eyes and their spouse had green eyes, the game gave their child grey eyes, even though the games used did not have mods in them. Plus, when they became teens, most traits their parents had did not seem to carry over. For example, they would get a different eye shape than their parents. I could see if they had more than one generation, but it still shows up in some kids in the first generation.
    https://youtu.be/j8hF4AlfDqU

This makes me wish my computer could support the sims 4… If I knew that mods did so much for MerSims… I play on console, so… This video was made a few years ago. Who knows what could have been done since then!
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,573 Member

Kalamainu'u opened a fishing class for tourists and this lady showed up in high heels to fish on the beach...Kalamainu'u is not impressed

QgPzg0w.png
    Today I edited my mermaid couple, and gave them a teen son, which I named Finn.
    Played a bit more with their genetics, and when their teens become young adults, and move out, I may give them a bunch more kids. Their genes make very interesting children.
    Also, actually forgot that I had more than those two mermaids in that save file. It is the same mermaid, but I made an adult version, and a young adult version. Both versions with the same Sims as well. I named her Pearl Atlantis. Adult Pearl lives with adult Raven the Vampire, Erna a Spellcaster, and new roommate, young adult Luna the Werewolf.
    Young adult Pearl lives with the young adult versions of Erna and Raven, as well as their new roommate teen Luna.
    Adult Pearl like to hang out with the ocean spirits, but they scare their pet dog Ace.
    Played a bit more with their genetics, and when their teens become young adults, and move out, I may give them a bunch more kids. Their genes make very interesting children.
    Also, actually forgot that I had more than those two mermaids in that save file. It is the same mermaid, but I made an adult version, and a young adult version. Both versions with the same Sims as well. I named her Pearl Atlantis. Adult Pearl lives with adult Raven the Vampire, Erna a Spellcaster, and new roommate, young adult Luna the Werewolf.
    Young adult Pearl lives with the young adult versions of Erna and Raven, as well as their new roommate teen Luna.
    Adult Pearl like to hang out with the ocean spirits, but they scare their pet dog Ace.

I've had Sims 4 for years but I've been really enjoying the genetics system lately.

I've had Sims 4 for years but I've been really enjoying the genetics system lately.
    The Sims have been looking well. I still see some weirdness with Sims that have extreme genetics, but I have been pretty pleased with the genetics. One flaw, though, is that if you have an occult Sim with occult features and a normal Sim, the game will give them eye colors that don't match either parents. Pearl had normal green eyes, but Aqua had the blue glowing spellcaster eyes. When I was editing the family, Finn inherited Pearl's green eyes. I messed with the editing again, and the kids either had Pearl's green eyes, and multiple eye colors from Aqua, they were either more brown or reddish. Overall, that was really the only flaw I came across.

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,814 Member
    edited February 2023
    There has been some changes made to the genetics model over the last year or two. For the longest time it seemed like when every child aged up to teen they had no chin to speak of. Or the bridge of their noses would be razor thin. Sometimes they'd get both. I've noticed recently that the sims offspring bear a stronger resemblance to their parents. I first noticed it this summer after the Werewolves pack release. My werewolf family had a child and even as a toddler there was a strong resemblance to her mother. She didn't age up with odd features either. As a matter of fact when she aged up to a teen she could almost pass as a twin with her mom. I'm not sure if the change came with that pack or an earlier update because there had been a long gap between then and the last time I had born in game children.
    When creating the twins, I first created Calum with all the physical features I wanted them to have. After the twins were born, I gave them the same physical features as Calum. I think, over time, they started to look a little different from their father after multiple save restarts.

Personally, I’m going to use the CAS option to skip the “try for baby,” so I can start the merfolk gameplay immediately.

If the mods I’m looking at give the child lifestage, a mermadic form, that’s where I’ll start.

You can have an Alien Toddler, but merfolk don’t become merfolk until the teen life stage? I always felt like some of the occult/ life stage choices were weird.

I’m definitely an advocate for using the genetics option in CAS to skip over the limitations that come with occults and life stages.
    edited February 2023
    Check out Clement Frost sucking in his gut and trying to put on the swole act when this Selvadoradan Mermaid sat down next to him!

"It's easy!! 100 Push Ups, 100 Sit Ups, 100 Squats, And 10KM Running! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!"

EDIT: Fun fact, in Rory's World, Clement has won the Lottery so he's one of the richest sims in the world! She doesn't know that. She just thinks it's cute he's trying to flirt.

jbPX349.png
    Post edited by Kerrigan on
    edited February 2023
    I went a little crazy, but I think temptation got the better of me.

I won't be able to do any gameplay until later, buuut, I think I made the right choice.

Edit: I used the bundle option to save money. I don't have everything I have on the console, but I have enough for now.

52686687434_ba2ff000fa_b.jpg
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
    Oh, I actually uninstalled one of my games from my old laptop to make space for the sims. I’m likely going to need to uninstall the sims because my computer doesn’t have enough storage space for the game.

Honestly, there aren’t a lot of mods I intend to use because most of the other gameplay never bothered me. I just wanted the depth for my merfolk so desperately. Lol.
    "...and there's this throbbing pain right behind my eyes because you're here right now.."

Kalamainu'u went all the way to Moonwood Mill for a change of atmosphere but Oliana not only showed up there but decided to sit with her

xBwfwUB.png
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Stheno joined a diving club, which is hilariously run by Greg (not my doing, the game randomly decided that Greg should run a dive club :D )

xBZY7kN.png
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

Discovered a weakness for merfolk with the new mod. It's kinda funny because I also gave Calum a preference for being friendly with humans. He wouldn't want to stop being a merman. He loves being a merman. It's just that, it's hard to enjoy being on land when this happens. :D

52690609430_9c190a3376_b.jpg

52690609750_557d5a5fe4_b.jpg

52690459884_3dd33e7604_b.jpg

I gave my merfolk a new appearance too. For my natural born merfolk (Merfolk that are merfolk and will always be merfolk), I'm giving them the Atlantica Variation of the mertails from spinning plumbob.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,857 Member
    edited February 2023
    What happened to him @Metior_Ice ?
    Trying too hard to join a human party?
    Bladder failure?
    @mightysprite he got caught in the rain and was forced to transform back into his mermadic form.
    I’m such a cheater. Lol. I’m just giving my merfolk all the perks and weaknesses I want them to have.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,857 Member
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    @mightysprite he got caught in the rain and was forced to transform back into his mermadic form.

haha never expected the rain to be hazardous to merfolk!
    5b872ee791c8822bf37812e3a3847266.gif