Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's So Special About Sims 5?

Each iteration of Sims has introduced a new theme or hook that pushed it further than the generation before. For example:

Sims 1 = New game
Sims 2 = 3D, Aging, Influence
Sims 3 = Open World, Color Wheel
Sims 4 = Emotions

What do you think the Sims 5 theme will be?

I'm hoping it's gradual aging.

What do you all think?

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

Realism and Diversity. I think it will basically be living in the current day with apartments favoured over houses and cars will be back and we’ll have to worry about their eco footprint etc. Real world flags, disabilities, depression, these kinda things. I think we’re already seeing it in sims 4 but in sims 5 it will be more ‘realistic’.

They’ve had to shoehorn most of this stuff into a game that was never intended for it, but this time I think they’ll specifically design the game around it and it will be very different overall. Whether they’ll still do vampires and aliens and things I don’t know. I do think they’ll try to keep some traditions but that it will be a more serious toned reboot.

• Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    It's too early to say what it's new feature will be. From what I've seen so far, it will have the color wheel again, and possibly more features. I saw the video where they were clicking the sofa to change it from single cushion to separate cushions design, and having a bed and choosing the headboard separately. I think Paralives has it so you can drag a bed to expand it from twin to standard size, Maybe Sims will copy the idea too.

I would hesitate before I took the leaked videos too seriously. Remember, they were playtesting a very limited version of the game. I think it was just buy mode. They might not have even had access to build mode yet. That would make a pre-built lot the best option to playtest in. Though having apartments in base game would be interesting and unique. I hope, eventually, they do it differently than sims 4. I miss being able to build the apartment building and put a chair out on the balcony!!!
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    Realism and Diversity. I think it will basically be living in the current day with apartments favoured over houses and cars will be back and we’ll have to worry about their eco footprint etc. Real world flags, disabilities, depression, these kinda things. I think we’re already seeing it in sims 4 but in sims 5 it will be more ‘realistic’.
    They’ve had to shoehorn most of this stuff into a game that was never intended for it, but this time I think they’ll specifically design the game around it and it will be very different overall. Whether they’ll still do vampires and aliens and things I don’t know. I do think they’ll try to keep some traditions but that it will be a more serious toned reboot.

Worrying about their eco-footprint is not something I would have anticipated in the Sims. It seems like a game about consumption, but I suppose anything is possible.

I actually hope they don't go too far in the direction of realism. I think the silliness of Sims is part of its charm. In any case, they've always worried about falling into uncanny valley in the past, hence an intentional veer away from realism. But I know a lot of people clamor for it.

(P.S. - Yes, another person who double spaces after periods. Woot.)

Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    It's too early to say what it's new feature will be. From what I've seen so far, it will have the color wheel again, and possibly more features. I saw the video where they were clicking the sofa to change it from single cushion to separate cushions design, and having a bed and choosing the headboard separately. I think Paralives has it so you can drag a bed to expand it from twin to standard size, Maybe Sims will copy the idea too.

I would hesitate before I took the leaked videos too seriously. Remember, they were playtesting a very limited version of the game. I think it was just buy mode. They might not have even had access to build mode yet. That would make a pre-built lot the best option to playtest in. Though having apartments in base game would be interesting and unique. I hope, eventually, they do it differently than sims 4. I miss being able to build the apartment building and put a chair out on the balcony!!!

I haven't seen any leaked videos, I've been away from the Sims for awhile. So, I have no idea what's out there.

Bringing back the color wheel is OK. I liked it. But for those who really love it, it's already in Sims 3. I'm just wondering if they have anything fresh up their sleeves to get people to shell out gobs and gobs more money to start over in a new game.

Starting with apartments would be nice with a alot of fixes. I guess Sims would just move to the 'Burbs when the game grew and so did the amount of stuff they'd purchase.

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    Well, it is told that it will have an ability to be played on multiple devices (computer, phone etc). In addition, an ability to play multiplayer (not MMO style) games (though singleplayer games are also possible).

Plus the object customization possibilities.

More is still unknown...
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Well, it is told that it will have an ability to be played on multiple devices (computer, phone etc). In addition, an ability to play multiplayer (not MMO style) games (though singleplayer games are also possible).

Plus the object customization possibilities.

More is still unknown...

Yeah, I guess that could be a pull for some. Not my thing, but I see that there are people who would like that.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I hope for layered clothes. Things like adding and removing jackets while keeping the rest of the outfit, pulling a robe over nightwear and wearing daypacks/handbags
  • YumengYumeng Posts: 116 Member
    TS5 connects PCs and smartphones. I think there're also emotions in TS2. I'm also hoping it's gradual aging, or height, or other sims can act inside their houses when you don't visit them.
    We need the function of zodiac signs, half-tile walls, prominent window sills, inverted half walls, discontinuous voice slider(mid-value can be taken) and rotating objects horizontally and vertically in a discontinuous manner(22.5 degrees per rotation).

Yumeng wrote: »
    TS5 connects PCs and smartphones. I think there're also emotions in TS2. I'm also hoping it's gradual aging, or height, or other sims can act inside their houses when you don't visit them.

Height would be a nice addition. They had a cheat for that in Sims 2, so I was expecting it to be a thing in Sims 3 already.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    I'm hoping for a combination personality sliders/points (like Sims 1 and 2) in addition to traits.

Also want really good AI that causes Sims to feel *different*
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464