March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Update Jan 31

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    This new look is definitely HOT <3

s5GolUt.png
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2023
    I'm not sure what to think about top scars. Why are they for masculine Sims? In my language it is translated with mastectomy and this reminds me of breast cancer and not gender transformation. Breast cancer usually affects women.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Still fear of death for elders isn't fixed...

When will they constantly stop fearing death?
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Unfortunately looks like the binder and shapewear are just cosmetic (they don't bind or shape) and are marked as tops and bottoms so you can't put other clothes over them. The shapewear especially could have been listed as leggings at least.
    This plus the sintimates kit is making the sims really need an underwear category in my opinion.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to think about top scars. Why are they for masculine Sims? In my language it is translated with mastectomy and this reminds me of breast cancer and not gender transformation. Breast cancer usually affects women.
    It’s meant to be for sims who are transitioning
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited January 2023
    I just got out of my game to find it in progress! There go my Mods, thanks EA, I had removed my Mods folder yesterday and I watched the Livestream. Obviously this isn't the Big Patch. But still. I've already lost my save due to Player Malfunction and took today to set it up again. Just to find a patch in progress? Wow, just wow. I'm gobsmacked and tired and bit miffed.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I didn't get any notice or permission to upload the update. I hope the auto-save is recent.

Didn't know Bust the Dust was broken. It's always worked good for me since they fixed the OCD vacuum NOW issue.

Hearing aids and insulin patches??? Awesome!

CONSOLE GAME PERFORMANCE???? MODS??? OH PLEASE SAY WE FINALLY GET MODS!!!!

Ahem, sorry for that. I'll contain myself...
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I read the patch notes a little bit ago and was really excited for like a few minutes. I immediately noticed some issues. The binders being under tops meant you can't wear clothes over them.

But it wasn't until I opened tiktok and then saw an excited simmer posting about the top surgery scars that I realized I had misread what they had written. It wasn't for "Female and Male Sims (masculine and feminine frames) Teen and up" it was just for Male sims. Why? It's not just people who identify as men who don't want to have those parts up top.

Plenty of non-binary people don't want them, some cis-women, other cis-women get breast reductions in order to feel more comfortable with their bodies.

Plus there's literally anyone who's had a mastectomy. Perhaps they just didn't think through how to apply these to female sims. IDK.

Like on one hand this update is some of the first disability representation we've ever had in this game. We got hearing aids, and glucose monitors. And if they are willing to be representative of players like that, there's a chance they will go further. And that's great.

On the other hand it's like the 3rd of fourth time they've gotten it sorta, or partially right when it came to bringing more LGBTQIA2S+ representation into the game. I might be being overly sensitive in the eyes of some. But when I saw that update, one of my first thoughts was about one of my sims, who is a woman, a female sim, who could use those scars. I had seen the masculine or feminine frame and felt secure that I was good to use them. And didn't even realize that she couldn't. It's just really odd, to set it up like that.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2023

I know what it is meant but there are much more women with a mastectomy caused by breast cancer than women who where transformed into a man. We always talk about inclusion and the medical wearables are the right way. When we talk about mastectomy scars we should also talk about women with breast cancer.
    That's the reason why I probably never will use the mastectomy scars.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

I know what it is meant but there are much more women with a mastectomy caused by breast cancer than women who where transformed into a man. We always talk about inclusion and the medical wearables are the right way. When we talk about mastectomy scars we should also talk about women with breast cancer.

I see what you’re saying but I think this is probably just something they did for trans people and they didn’t even think to consider anything else. Perhaps if they get enough feedback they will do more in future.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member

I don't think that's the right way to think about this. I do think they messed up with how they unveiled this. It should have been available for all sims Teen and up, regardless or sex, or frame, etc.

You seem to be talking about it as if:
    1. The only inclusion we should have is inclusion of disability rep, or overcoming illness rep, not Queer rep. As a Queer Chronically Ill Disabled Minority, in a country that doesn't really care about any of that, I don't particularly appreciate seeing one aspect held higher as an excuse to belittle another.
    2. Mastectomy is a form of top surgery or breast surgery rather. It's just that 1 is used to battle invaders in the body, and the other is used when the invader is your body. This is not me downplaying cancer either or any of the issues that cause people to have to get a Mastectomy. There are several surgeries, including reductions that go on in this area, and they are all undergone with the understanding that it is a big deal and everyone has their reasons behind it.
    3. But by the sims team limiting this to Male sims, not only did they show a lack of understanding of the communities they are trying to represent, they were also alienating those they weren't thinking of. As you said, Cancer survivors, but also non-binary people who don't want to have breasts, cis-women who don't want breats at all and didn't want a reduction (maybe for medical reasons maybe for their personal reasons), and trans-people who may not have gone through all the surgeries possible because this is the only one they needed to feel comfortable. Or maybe the only one they could currently afford and maybe they were hoping to make a simself or just a similar sim.

But these are surgery scars of what should be the broad category. Not just one or the other, and that's why, I feel it should be for both. Not bc there are "so many more women with cancer than people who have had gender confirming surgeries to remove their breasts."
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    LSM36 wrote: »

I don't think that's the right way to think about this. I do think they messed up with how they unveiled this. It should have been available for all sims Teen and up, regardless or sex, or frame, etc.

You seem to be talking about it as if:
    1. The only inclusion we should have is inclusion of disability rep, or overcoming illness rep, not Queer rep. As a Queer Chronically Ill Disabled Minority, in a country that doesn't really care about any of that, I don't particularly appreciate seeing one aspect held higher as an excuse to belittle another.
    2. Mastectomy is a form of top surgery or breast surgery rather. It's just that 1 is used to battle invaders in the body, and the other is used when the invader is your body. This is not me downplaying cancer either or any of the issues that cause people to have to get a Mastectomy. There are several surgeries, including reductions that go on in this area, and they are all undergone with the understanding that it is a big deal and everyone has their reasons behind it.
    3. But by the sims team limiting this to Male sims, not only did they show a lack of understanding of the communities they are trying to represent, they were also alienating those they weren't thinking of. As you said, Cancer survivors, but also non-binary people who don't want to have breasts, cis-women who don't want breats at all and didn't want a reduction (maybe for medical reasons maybe for their personal reasons), and trans-people who may not have gone through all the surgeries possible because this is the only one they needed to feel comfortable. Or maybe the only one they could currently afford and maybe they were hoping to make a simself or just a similar sim.

But these are surgery scars of what should be the broad category. Not just one or the other, and that's why, I feel it should be for both. Not bc there are "so many more women with cancer than people who have had gender confirming surgeries to remove their breasts."

Well said.

In general, put me down for more inclusion, more representation, more options. In this particular case, I could see what they were going for, but it would be even better if they would just expand it a bit more to give us the option of telling even more stories.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited February 2023
    I like the light switch better than the ones in the kit.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I'm not going to lie, I never thought I would be this excited about babies. The cute little hairstyles! Also, I may be just tired and missed it, but what is happening on Feb 2?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, I never thought I would be this excited about babies. The cute little hairstyles! Also, I may be just tired and missed it, but what is happening on Feb 2?

I think they will release the trailer for the EP.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    oh, that makes sense
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I do think that there should've been a breast scar for females because some Women sadly lose their breasts not by choice but by survival. :'(
    That being said, the new breast scars gives me the creeps. :s
    I keep thinking "OUCH" & wanting to hug my own chest & thanking my Creator that I still have my breast. :o
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I am still a bit bumped that the toddlers aren't coming until March 14th. That being said: this patch is actually nice. The hearing aids and insuline patches are very thoughtful additions.

I was also interested in medical scars until I found out that they are limited to males only and exclusively for representation of gender transition. I have no use for them personally. There is even a feminine frame but no possibility for females? If the team would ever add medical scars related to illnesses for all sims I would be interested. Scars as the result of a heart surgery can also have meaning and a story to tell.

Not really a lot of bugs that were plaguing my game but simmers have been asking for fixes so much, it is nice to see that they are working on it.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited February 2023
    I think its good place to start here with medical wearables (which btw i wish they recategorize those other medical wear like bandages in now that we have it)(oh and i wish we get more patches and plasters n stuff for it) but true it would have been nice to have those scars for female frame too

I feel like it was really not on do list to get to cancer yet though because then they would also need to make it so our sims can have one breast for example and i think thats tad more work than adding the scars to existing frames

I also wonder if its because female sims wear bra that there might have to be alterations to even see the said scars other than very specific outfits

but i hope they add the scars for female sims too because that would indeed make some more sense (say in case of boob addition or reduction)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited February 2023
    @Simmerville

I disagree because it's still a tiny part compared to the 23 years of content and features that Maxis did.

I would tell the same thing for Star Wars content, Maxis tries to do a little of everything for everybody.

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    @Simmerville

I disagree because it's still a tiny part compared to the 23 years of content and features that Maxis did.

I would tell the same thing for Star Wars content, Maxis tries to do a little of everything for everybody.

And that is an excuse for not adding belly scars? I'm not saying we can't have chest scars, I want both :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    @Simmerville

The first scars came with EP06 Get Famous in ... 2018.

More of them can still come later, it's a live service.

• NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    @Simmerville

And that is an excuse for not adding belly scars? I'm not saying we can't have chest scars, I want both :)

I'd rather have scars as their own categories of face scars and body scars but I fully support non gender restricted scars of many types: mastectomy, apendicectomy, open heart surgery, c-section... They could even add stretch marks!

It would also be nice if we could paint on our regular Sims (and not only on werewolves) in CAS. That way we could also have birthmarks, vitiligo, pigment patches, moles.

It would also be nice if shapewear actually shaped our sims' bodies but, seeing that most clothes still sit weird when choosing the category opposite to the sims' sex I doubt we'll ever see that happening.
    Happy simming!