Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim will not complete their test (NOT A BUG REPORT)

2...Next

Comments

• LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2023
    I've updated and so far... eh. The bugs I've noticed thus far are:
    • Putting Toddlers to bed and reading them to sleep isn't working.
    • Skin details will only save on the first everyday outfit. If you configure skin details on any other outfit, they will not save. Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed, but I personally don't think this one is a big deal. Just configure how you want your Sim to look first before doing outfits. If you ever edit skin details, make sure your Sim is on the first Everyday outfit and it'll work fine.
    • Sims go into completely different rooms to wash their hands. Very annoying. There's a huge thread on EA Answers with over 600 "Me Toos" on this and it was opened in July.
    • Probably not a bug, but Sims will use their phones way too much. I use a mod to deal with this.
    • The interaction of picking up a Toddler to help them blow out candles auto-cancels every time you attempt it. Work-around is to just have cheats enabled, shift-click the Toddler, and age them up, but it did annoy me a little. I wanted to see my Sims celebrate the birthday and get the moodlet.
    • Sims will move slightly after the game has been paused. This really only affects screenshotters and only if they don't use a pose.
    • Dust effects from Bust the Dust do not appear.
    • Random performance issues. Could be mod related and/or it's the fact that my computer is at least 7 years old. The issues are relatively uncommon and are easily addressed with a relaunch. Sometimes I have days where I leave the game open all day and I see no issues and others, I'm getting weird FPS dips, a (very rare) crash/freeze, etc.
    So for me, the game isn't unplayable, but as always, needs more fixes. Frankly, it's to the point that I hope when TS5 eventually comes out and TS4 stops receiving content, a skeleton crew remains to fix all the remaining bugs. Or hopefully modders will do it.
    Post edited by LJK on
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    jmac2727 wrote: »
    I quit playing after high school years came out because of the bugs, I was just wondering if enough of the bugs had been resolved to confidently say it's safe to return?

The bug that broke the camels back was my sims getting up and leaving class in the middle of EVERY exam.. it's like it was coded in for them to stand up in the middle of every test.... if that one is fixed, that'd be a good start.

I just turn off autonomy to keep control of them.
    I rarely turn it off outside of school, but some places require it.

That said, I've lost interest in playing and have started playing other games instead.
    I will probably pick it back up after they announce the next pack.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    edited January 2023
    Still have sims breaking into my sim's home--and even into homes she is renovating--and asking to be best friends. :s Not cute.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I am waiting for High school years to be on sale for at least 30-50% off.
    I have been playing on an off with the Sims after the werewolf pack was released.
    It isn't really due to any bugs or issues, I just got some new games, and Sims 4 tends to drop to the end of the list when it comes to other games for me.

Heh, I think that's what it's like for a lot of people. And for 2023, me as well as it's looking to be a good year for games.
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    High School Years didn’t seem to have any game breaking bugs when I was last playing the game.

But, I play on the console. So, if there’s a mod that is acting up. I wouldn’t know. Console players can only play vanilla.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I am waiting for High school years to be on sale for at least 30-50% off.
    I have been playing on an off with the Sims after the werewolf pack was released.
    It isn't really due to any bugs or issues, I just got some new games, and Sims 4 tends to drop to the end of the list when it comes to other games for me.

Heh, I think that's what it's like for a lot of people. And for 2023, me as well as it's looking to be a good year for games.

Yeah, I do like Sims 4, but the games I got keep my attention a lot more than Sims 4 does.
    Some of the games are Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. Disney Dreamlight Valley, and I got DLC for Pokemon Sword and Shield.
  • naeshellenaeshelle Posts: 62 Member
    I don't go to school with my sims on Fridays because they like to cancel out the exam interaction & re-selecting it on the white board doesn't help. So I just go with them Monday-Thursday, do exam prep throughout the week & send them alone on Fridays. I've never once not had a teen either be valedictorian upon graduation or eligible for early graduation playing this way, so it works.
  • jmac2727jmac2727 Posts: 306 Member
    edited January 2023
    Since release the pack has been unplayable. Every friday for test days, the teen sim will sit at the desk to take the exam, then immediately get up and leave the class room. This happens on every test day, with every teen household sim taking a test. When you have more then one sim taking the tests it gets even worse.

This is with no mods, and I even completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game and all expansions, and the issue persists.

Not only this bug but there is another one where your grades never progress unless you don't follow your sim to high school.... which kind of defeats the purpose of the expansion.....

"Oh you want to take your sim to high school, that's fine we'll make an expansion for that... but we'll make it impossible to improve your grades or take a test, I'm sure you'll love it."

I mean... this really warrants a refund in my oppinion. I was okay with waiting for a patch, but after so much time and so many patches coming out that completely ignored this issue, I've lost any optimism that this will ever get fixed.

What's the process of getting the refund? If something is broken and not fixed within a timely manner the only reasonable thing for a company to do is refund the expansion.

Thanks in advance.

*edit to mention another broken feature in high school years"

Social bunny also doesn't work, it works for the first few days then all posts show 0 days and your followers never go up, making one of the aspirations unable to be completed.
    Post edited by EA_Cade on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    DLC is not refundable.

Here's how to return a game with the Great Game Guarantee
    *You may return eligible EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on the EA app for Windows and Origin for Mac for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within fourteen days from your date of purchase, or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

https://www.ea.com/great-game-guarantee
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,869 Member
    These bugs are annoying and I hope they fix them, but they don't make the game unplayable. They both have workarounds for now until fixed.
    See the workaround posts in the bug threads here
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-HSY-Teens-randomly-stop-taking-exams/m-p/11746529
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-HSY-Sim-is-stuck-on-C-student-despite-acing-all/td-p/11677822

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    For that exam thing, click on the whiteboard and select 'pass exam'. Your sims should go back to work and finish them normally.
    As for the social bunny, to get followers, you need to post stories, like about lunch, a book,changing outfits, donig homeworkn or coming back from work.
    I made a post detailing a few bugs in High School Years and for some reason it was closed, not sure why as there was no negativity in the post whatsoever. I did have a few questions on the suggested "work arounds" though, so .. since the original post was closed I'll just toss those into this new one.

So for the bug where it's impossible to improve your grades if you actually follow your Sims to High School. If I'm not mistaken, the suggested work around is to not follow your sim to school and their grades will go up. My question to this is, is it really a workaround if all your doing is bypassing the expansion entirely in order to make something work. To me telling someone to not use the expansion in order to make the expansion work is kind of counter productive. I would say the "work around" isn't a work around at all.

For the issue of Sims getting up in the middle of a test, the "work around" was to keep canceling the sims actions in order for them to continue taking the test. When you cancel the action another one immediately pops back up, it happens so fast that you can barely click on those actions fast enough to avoid the test being interupted. If you have multiple sims in the same class it becomes almost impossible. You have to pause the game literally every couple of seconds and swap between sims over and over in order for them all to take the test. What should take a minute on high speed turns into a 5-10 minute ordeal that is the opposite of fun, it's a chore. Again I don't find this to be a suitable work around.

For the Social bunny work around, I have been told if you make new posts your follower count will go up. That's just not true however, as soon as the bug happens and all your posts start showing 0m, I have yet to get further followers. I've religiously made new posts, replied to other sims posts, done everything in social bunny that there is to do and the follower count never goes up after the bug appears.

I hate relying on mods to fix issues like this, but after almost six months since release, multiple patches which fail to fix any of these issues, and no mention of these issues on the list of bugs that they are currently working on, I've lost faith that these will be addressed in any reasonable amount of time.

I still feel these issues warrant a refund, but if that's not possible then I'm curious if anyone has found any mods that fix any of these issues. I've done my due diligence looking for them, but was unable to find any.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    It was probably closed because you’re supposed to talk about bugs on the Answers website, not here.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    For the Social Bumny thing your follower count only gets updated about once a sim week. And I've always had the 0 min thing & my count went up.
    Yeah I'm not trying to report a bug, all these bugs were reported days after release. I was looking for information on either actual work arounds or mods that might allow me to play the game without pulling out my hair.
    Starfree wrote: »
    For the Social Bumny thing your follower count only gets updated about once a sim week. And I've always had the 0 min thing & my count went up.

THANKS, I have yet to last a week while playing high school years before one of the other bugs I mentioned causes me to give up on playing before a fix. I'll try to suffer through the other bugs long enough to see if Social Bunny actually updates after a week.

A very productive response, tyvm.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I use the MCCC mod to simply cheat up my Sims' grades. Yeah, I'm that bad. LOL It fit into the story I'm writing about this Sim. He was living on another planet, Vulcan, and had already graduated from what is likely a far-superior education than on Earth, but the laws of Simnation stated he must attend school, strictly based on his age. Face/palm. So, he was a straight A student. Made sense to me. I did the same for his siblings, too. However, I let him attend until he aged up. What did he get for sticking it out? He was deemed a Drop Out and given no degree, that's what he got. After that I accepted the invitation for him to graduate early, after the patch that fixed it. He got his degree, phew, and the Graduated Early, trait.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I've had bad experiences with MCCC, it seems to cause more issues then it fixes unless you micro manage every little feature of the mod.. To be honest I can live through the social bunny and the grades not going up, it's the leaving class during test taking that aggravates me the most. If I could find a fix for that one, I think I could enjoy the game again.

Thanks for the recommendation though
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,034 Member
    I have to say that I have no problem with my sims grades, rather the opposite. My one sim always does his homework, attends every single class, and studies for his exams. His end of days report shows that he "impressed his teachers and learned a lot" and he was offered early graduation two days into High School (which annoyed me actually, it seems way too hasty and he's been getting calls almost daily from random sims who asks him if he wants to).

My other sim hasn't done her homework in weeks, she is constantly late to class, has skipped class twice and been in detention once. She repeatedly pulls pranks but also get the "impressed her teachers and learned a lot", is an A student and was offerent early graduation (although much later than her brother). I'm wondering what I have to do to get her grades down.

One note, which might be the work around you're looking for for both issues with test and grades, I have many holidays that falls on Fridays, which means even though they've gone to school for three weeks, they have yet to sit even one exam. As the exam doesn't happen due to the holidays, it hasn't affected their grades at all. So if you have seasons, just schedule holidays for Fridays until their grades go up and make sure to do all the around actions in school (run on treadmill, talk to other students, talk to faculty members...). That's how you get the "gold" days and high marks.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
    JAL wrote: »
    I have to say that I have no problem with my sims grades, rather the opposite. My one sim always does his homework, attends every single class, and studies for his exams. His end of days report shows that he "impressed his teachers and learned a lot" and he was offered early graduation two days into High School (which annoyed me actually, it seems way too hasty and he's been getting calls almost daily from random sims who asks him if he wants to).

My other sim hasn't done her homework in weeks, she is constantly late to class, has skipped class twice and been in detention once. She repeatedly pulls pranks but also get the "impressed her teachers and learned a lot", is an A student and was offerent early graduation (although much later than her brother). I'm wondering what I have to do to get her grades down.

One note, which might be the work around you're looking for for both issues with test and grades, I have many holidays that falls on Fridays, which means even though they've gone to school for three weeks, they have yet to sit even one exam. As the exam doesn't happen due to the holidays, it hasn't affected their grades at all. So if you have seasons, just schedule holidays for Fridays until their grades go up and make sure to do all the around actions in school (run on treadmill, talk to other students, talk to faculty members...). That's how you get the "gold" days and high marks.

If you occassionally send your sim to school without following him then your grades would go up. If you follow your teen sims every day then they never will, at least in my experience. I tried it on a new game with no mods and even on a fresh install and that seems to be the case. I might be mistaken though, if you found a way to have your sims grades to go up while following them to school every day, I'd be very interested to hear it.

Thanks for the response
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited January 2023
    Well, grades go up on friday after succesfully passing the exams. If your sim stops (which I know they always do), click on the white board and select 'pass exam'. they will finish eventually.

For the social bunny, post stories, like finishing homework, changing outfits, lunch break or other things that allow 'new post'. Followers are updated daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top