Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

12 life stages in TS5

cdn94ab2zein.jpg

As a gamer who loves creating large families and expanding them across cities, I'd like to see 12 life stages in The Sims 5 so that character growth isn't abrupt and truly mimics what happens in real life.

The attached image represents well what these phases would be, each with their respective heights and characteristics:
1 - Newborn
2 - Lap baby
3 - Baby
4 - Preschool
5 - Child
6 - Pre-teen
7 - Teenager
8 - Young adult
9 - Adult
10 - Middle age
11 - Elderly
12 - Elder

At the player's discretion, the lifespan could be short, normal, or long. What do you think?

Comments

• GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    Maybe they'll finally just have gradual aging instead of lifestages.
  • LonelyWolfTalesLonelyWolfTales Posts: 44 Member
    I love this idea! I feel like it could be quite a hassle having to add different interactions, animations and outfits for each life stage, but it would certainly make the game more immersive.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Nice idea but I can't imagine EA getting all the complexity right.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    navani wrote: »
    cdn94ab2zein.jpg

As a gamer who loves creating large families and expanding them across cities, I'd like to see 12 life stages in The Sims 5 so that character growth isn't abrupt and truly mimics what happens in real life.

The attached image represents well what these phases would be, each with their respective heights and characteristics:
    1 - Newborn
    2 - Lap baby
    3 - Baby
    4 - Preschool
    5 - Child
    6 - Pre-teen
    7 - Teenager
    8 - Young adult
    9 - Adult
    10 - Middle age
    11 - Elderly
    12 - Elder

At the player's discretion, the lifespan could be short, normal, or long. What do you think?

I feel like there should be another stage between Middle age and Elderly. I would call it Senior citizen, where they have white hair but can still walk straight. A middle age person doesn't go straight to hunch back and a cane. As for the Elder stage, not all very old people walk with a frame. Maybe for old age, they could have variations on how mobile they are depending on how well they took care of their health during younger years.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i have my doubts so will wait and see
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Unless they truly spend time to make the 2 elder life stages unique like actually ageing the skin adding in more wrinkles age spots and create more of a challenge within the gameplay the older you get I'm not sure how much value a second elder life stage would add. This would be my worry about most life stages that are the same height and generally do the same thing how would middle age look different from adult and young adult if Sims 4 tells us anything it would not but if they could find unique gameplay for middle age beyond midlife crises I'd like to see it. The visuals and unique gameplay need to be there not just a nameplate that says age.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited February 2023
    Or it could be like "humans", the 7 life stages with some phases (early/middle/late)

Stages in Wikipedia :
    1. Babyhood (Infant) : 0 - 1 year old
    2. Toddler : 1 - 3
    3. Child : 3 - 14 (early childhood 3 - 6, middle childhood 6 - 10, late childhood/preteen 10 - 14)
    4. Teen : 14 - 19 (but "Health Organization definition officially designates an adolescent as someone between the ages of 10 and 19")
    5. Young adult : 19 - 40 (early adulthood 19 - 30)
    6. Adult (Middle adult) : 40 - 60
    7. Elder (Old adult) : 60+ ("One study distinguishes the young-old (60 to 69), the middle-old (70 to 79), and the very old (80+)")
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited February 2023
    I think newborn, baby, toddler. child (then only because so many want) preteen, teen, young adult, adult, Senior (retiree), then the elderly as the last.

I am a senior and up until a year ago my mother was still alive so she would have been the elder. People live longer and healthier nowadays so I think our sims should be able to as well. :)

However if they wanted to make it 12 that would also be okay with me. Just stop punishing elders who can still jog or woohoo.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I think the issue is that they have to make each lifestage playable with unique things to make it seem interesting. The problem with TS4 is it is very shallow. Most players play with Young Adult lifestage, then either move on to other sims, or an entirely different save by the time they age up to adult.

More early life stages are good if they can round out a child's development. Babies change a lot in such a short time, unless they cleverly write the coding for it, a single life stage can be anything between Crib bound infant, using a bottle, to a crawling almost toddler who eats babyfood at a highchair. And then switches back at the sims will. Do you know what I mean? It's a thing I'm worried the Sims 4 infant life stage will be.

Though, if they do the clever coding, and can give us progression with an infant, that maybe learns skills to be able to crawl and be weaned, that will be even cooler.

• jakesimworldjakesimworld Posts: 2 New Member
    I'd love to see this....particularly the middle-aged and late-elder life stages. The frailty of an elder could depend on their genetics and activity levels throughout their life. <3
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I don't like playing kids , it's bad enough they are adding another baby stage. I usually just age them up to kids or teens so they can take care of themselves.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    I actually personally like the way it is currently in The Sims 4 (apart from the fact I wish teenagers looked a little younger). That's just me though.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I just will add to current TS4 life stages, preteen
    1) Is a wanted life stage by simmers (even before than infants)
    2) (my opinion) be possible romantic interaction between Teen and YA (I understood EA reject for such relationships, as current teen represent from 12 [or even 11] to 17)
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    My thought is that adding more life stages should be put on the back burner until the development of fleshed-out, multidimensional Sims of the 8 current stages (babies, infants, toddlers, children, teens, young adults, adults, elder) has been achieved.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The problem is for most of those, there is no unique gameplay, which is what makes new life stages fun.

"Middle age" is just an adult. A "preteen" is just a child. A "lap baby" is just a baby. "Elderly" is just elder.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited April 2023
    The problem is for most of those, there is no unique gameplay, which is what makes new life stages fun.

"Middle age" is just an adult. A "preteen" is just a child. A "lap baby" is just a baby. "Elderly" is just elder.

And "Preschool" aka early childhood (3-6) is just a child, "Baby" is just a toddler
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    I think that's too many life stages....EA should just stick with Baby,Toddler,Child,Pre-Teen,Teen,Young Adult,Adult and Elder. Having 12 lifestages would take up a lot of memory for the game since you would have to have all sorts of items and clothing for 12 life stages,and it could also be a real pain for EA to fix any bugs that come with having 12 life stages.

12 life stages might also make the game very slow and laggy and prone to freezing and crashing,since EA could put color wheels,open world and Create-A-World/Create-a-Style in the game as well.

If EA just gave us 8 life stages,I'd be fine with that.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, 12 life stages is far too many. There really isn't that much difference between most of them. I mean, lap baby to baby? Adult to middle-aged? Elderly to Elder? They're basically the same thing.
    I'm not as obsessed with pre-teens as some are. I don't see what makes them different to children. People say "oh they can get crushes..." that's it?? Not enough to warrant a whole new lifestage IMO. Most people talk about them going to "middle school", which is only really unique to American players. This game is very American-focused as it is, most of the new worlds are based on somewhere in America for example. I know there are a lot of American players, but there are millions round the world too. It'd be nice if there was more diversity!
    The life stages we have now have noticeable differences between them and each has unique gameplay.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    too many life stages in my books, I can see this burning out the devs due to too much work.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    12 life stages seem a bit excessive. I would love the following breakdown in the next game:

Newborn
    Infant
    Toddler
    Preschool
    Child
    Preteen
    Teen
    Young Adult
    Adult
    Elder

The only 2 new stages I added are Preschool (3-5) and Preteen (11-12). The current jump in the current game is too jarring for me because it seems they go straight from Child to Young Adult because the Teens and Young Adults look the same. I watched a Let's Play of TS4 on YouTube by Make 2 (Let's Play The Eden-Cho Family). When they aged up the twins in the household (Jamie and Bon) from Teen to Young Adult to go to college (they created a college because DU hadn't been released yet), I could not tell the difference between them as Teens and Young Adults.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    To be honest, I'd be happy with those:

Newborn
    Infant
    Toddler
    Child
    Preteen
    Teen
    Young Adult
    Adult
    Elder

I don't get the point of pre-school stage though... What does this mean? I live in a country where children go to school when they're 7, so I really am confused about that...

The Sims has always been a little bit unrealistic, so a little bit of unrealism is OK.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd be happy with those:

Newborn
    Infant
    Toddler
    Child
    Preteen
    Teen
    Young Adult
    Adult
    Elder

I don't get the point of pre-school stage though... What does this mean? I live in a country where children go to school when they're 7, so I really am confused about that

The Sims has always been a little bit unrealistic, so a little bit of unrealism is OK.

Preschool here in America is for children ages 4-6 and is called Pre-Kindergarten (4-5) and Kindergarten (5-6).

• Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I'm on the side of limiting the ages to those which can be given attention and be made unique. In TS4 I know many have felt the Young Adult age is the only one EA pays any attention to. Really, the only reason we have a Young Adult and not just Adult-Elder is because in TS2 they had to add a college age life stage between Teen and Adult. Then in the Sims 3 it was given more of an official status, in that you became a Young Adult whether or not you went to University.

Teens, I'd much more prefer them to be de-aged from an almost adult height to a little less than the adult stage. I'd rather that than another Pre-teen life stage.

And the only reason we have Infant and baby(newborns) is because when they created the TS4, someone, I suspect, cheaped out and decided to downgrade us to TS1 style babies. Yes, I remember those. I am afraid it may be a mistake not easily taken back, now though. Players have gotten the idea into their heads that they are two stages, and if the Sims team doesn't deliver, we may protest it.
    I do like how they gave the Infants milestones and see it as being a way to fit many age stages together. Anyone who's seen a real infant develop understands how many stages that can be. If we ask for something similar in TS5, it may help some of you who feel like there's too few life stages as there are.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Mine would be
    Newborn
    Infant
    Toddler
    Child
    Preteen
    Teen
    Ya
    A
    Middle aged
    Elder.