The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do clothes affect a Sim's mood or not?

ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
I have seen old and outdated threads saying that depending on what a Sim wears, this will affect the mood of that sim. Is this true in a vanilla base game with no mods? I'm aware that some clothes, like the Animal Hats content, will affect the mood of a Sim, but do normal clothes affect a mood? I like designing my Sims uniquely and don't want to use a same-color shirt to make a Sim happier. Is it true that the type or texture of clothes affect the Sim in any way?
I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
Post edited by ItsMeThatGuy on

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    Very most of the time, no.

Though there are rare exceptions when it does. Like the animal hats you've brought out (and the other Digital Deluxe clothing). The firefighter uniform will make sims confident while Tragic Clown uniform will make sims sad. Badly made knitted clothing will make sims uncomfortable.

Oh, and with High School Year bringing fashion likes and dislikes will have sims be happy or tense on their or other sims' clothing style.
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    edited January 2023
    Alrighty!
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    Does the hairstyle, facial hair, or face or body profile affect the Sim's mood?

Now that is full on no.
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    edited January 2023
    I know now the Sim's appearance is fully cosmetic! Thanks!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    The only time I am aware the clothes affects the Sim is sometimes in CAS they will 'react' to the new outfit. In game, not so much. I wish it would, quite frankly. That would be an added layer of gameplay. Fun.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I think there's that one sparkly outfit from the base game that is supposed to have an effect (one for males, one for females) but it's the only one, and I rarely use it so I don’t remember whether it does anything. I could have sworn that it was announced before the game came out that clothing would have an impact, but it didn’t happen.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The sparkly one for females gives a mood boost. It's a whole-body outfit, the shorts with jacket that has palm trees on it. Comes in blue, yellow, and white. Have no idea on the male one.
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    There are a few items that affect mood like the sombrero which makes them embarrassed or one of the goofy pairs of sunglasses that gives them another moodlet. I forget which.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I would like them to have a moodlet from wearing clothes of their favorite color and vice versa. Guess colors worn has no effect, though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited January 2023
    I would like them to have a moodlet from wearing clothes of their favorite color and vice versa. Guess colors worn has no effect, though.

I did wonder whether favourite colour would make a difference once they brought in likes and dislikes, but no such luck.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Of course, don't forget that if you have Seasons, dressing for the wrong weather can make your sim very uncomfortable.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    Nope.
    I've had some of my sims wear summer outfits in their Cold Weather & some sims wear long leave outfits in their Hot Weather.
    It doesn't really matter.
  • Velvet_LiliesVelvet_Lilies Posts: 56 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, since High School Life if your sim has particular fashion preferences like Preppy or Polished, they will get a positive moodlet when wearing an outfit that corresponds to that preference. I'm also pretty sure that if they have a dislike for a style they'll get a negative moodlet as well. It's all good if you don't play with fashion preferences at all, but if you do I recommend you check carefully which items are associated with which style, cause it's not always obvious imo.

I also think that they can have a negative reaction to a style they dislike when it's worn by another sim nearby, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't often play with fashion preferences myself.
    na3uewksu9ny.png
    My Tumblr • • • My first story: "The New Kid" ←
    • • • • •
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    edited January 2023
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Nope.
    I've had some of my sims wear summer outfits in their Cold Weather & some sims wear long leave outfits in their Hot Weather.
    It doesn't really matter.

It's not the cloth itself that matters, but what clothing category your sim wears. If you edit Cold weather outfit in CAS and ignore tags to use only Summer options, the game will still see it as a Winter outfit regardless of what it contains. So, it's totally possible wearing a bikini during a snow storm without freezing at all.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MykalaplyMykalaply Posts: 1,041 Member
    my sims keeps getting a buff about country fashion could be a mod not sure.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I think likes/dislikes affects how a sim feels about their clothes. For instance, if you have a cowboy and you dress him in country clothes, he'll get a positive moodlet. If the same cowboy dislikes preppy and you dress him in preppy, he'll get a negative moodlet.

I could be wrong though.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,107 Member
    If you have Laundry Day they get moodlets from fresh clothes too.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    they can get cold
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    When I direct my Sim to "change outifts", I sometimes get a "Stylish Choice" moodlet. +1 Happy. It doesn't happen if they change outfits on their own.