Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @haneul, your fix worked. I switched to flight mode and bypassed the update. I was able to play a game, take screen grabs and am now writing up the next chapter. A big thank you!

better than me. i started over and my female sim died already.

which means i have exactly what i was trying to escape in real life .1 death and 1 divorce. irony.

That is ironic.

i think i'll just start again with the benders. if i'm gonna have drama it might as well come from them. lol

That's for sure! Plus, they always seem to figure it out.

then why haven't spoke in 2 monthslol. sorry sis i don't see much. <3 you.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    What are some of your SimLit faves you're reading now?

OK, the ones I like right now are:

Tusnelda & Trix by @MonaSolstraale. I think she has 3 stories involving a set of characters so if you've not read it before I recommend starting with the original Tusnelda & Trix and then move on to the sequel and the current one. It's mostly slice of everyday life but with some science fiction and vampire lore thrown in. It's got a quirky writing style all of its own, which makes it fun to read, with its narrator who not only tells you the story but offers little witty commentary as well. The premise? Well, it begins with a young woman and her cat...

Lucky Girl by @hellohannah2. This is straight up, no spooky stuff, no sci-fi slice of life about a teenage girl emerging into womanhood and set in Ireland. As well as being well written, the characters draw you in. The central protagonist, Evie, is very relatable and the supporting characters are well developed...even if you do feel like they're terrible people sometimes...It's the kind of story where you think "yep, been there".

Anything by @SnowBnuuy. I'm not into supernatural stories that much and some of the subject matter is very much out of my scope of reference but they are such a good writer it's a testament to their skill that I derive a lot of enjoyment from most of them. I couldn't name a favourite one but I recommend just starting with one of them and see how you go.

I'm sure I've missed out a couple that I like and there are some which only update about every 4 months which is frustrating as a reader! I'm naming no names...
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, Lizzie! Here are the current ones that I'm enjoying when they pop up in my WordPress Reader. These are all updated fairly regularly, so I get to enjoy them as frequent treats. I mostly only follow WordPress blogs, since I have worked it into my daily schedule to read in the WordPress Reader, and I tend to forget to use the browser to visit blogs hosted elsewhere.

Anyway, these are all a real treat and are updated regularly and frequently:

Driftwood Poet/ @lilypadmeulin - Daughters of Hesperia, https://driftwoodpoet.wordpress.com

@SimTresa /Muse Urania - all of her current stories, https://museurania462371994.wordpress.com/

@illusorythrall - My favorite is Jaz's story, and they're all great! (I especially enjoy the nonSim stories, like the ESO ones) - https://illusorythrall.wordpress.com

Solstraalesims/ @MonaSolstraale - I am addicted to this! Her Sims have become friends of mine through the past few years, and I just can't get enough of them! - https://solstraalesims.dk/

Of course I'm always excited when @friendsfan367 posts--but her Sims need to be talking to each other for that to happen! XD

And, you know what? @RipuAncestor just finished Chrysanthemum Tango! Wow! It's so good--so many happy reading hours with this Sim novel! https://chrysanthemumtango.wordpress.com

And I'm always eager when @Shadami https://shadami.wordpress.com and @DeiraShadeweaver post! and https://deiraplayssims.wordpress.com

And I also recently discovered this cool blog, which is sometimes Sims-related: https://loveatthetopofmylungs.blog

I know I missed some--these are just the ones that pop up regularly in my Reader!

Cheers!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Of course I'm always excited when @friendsfan367 posts--but her Sims need to be talking to each other for that to happen! XD.

tell noel and lauren that lol. i think he wants to talk she keeps saying no.
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg thanks for the shout out! How lovely ☺️

You should also check out Kellogg’s story, sim 66. I’m so so far behind on it but I’m really enjoying the fun 60s vibe, and the dialogue is so snappy and fun. If you’re partial to a bit of historical content (which I very much am - Cold War era all the way) then this one is great.

I also have to recommend one of my faves, which is Under the Tartosan Sun by @DaniRose2143 its just an all round feel good story. If you want strong female characters and lots and lots of love and romance then I’d go for this. The community is also really lovely and supportive in the comment section, and I always feel happy when I go there.
    s54gWQ5.png
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited January 2023
    Thank you for the shoutout, @CathyTea ! :blush: I'll start catching up on my reading soon too. I've had some stories open in my tabs for ages and I should really cotinue them. And discover new ones too.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    Hi @Kellogg_J_Kellogg and @CathyTea Thanks for your shout out. I'm really happy about the positive words about Tusnelda and Trix's story <3

@AdamsEve1231 I want to mention some storys that hasn't been mentioned yet, Almost Eternal by @SnuffyBucket . A story that moves in the occult universe among vampires and witches. There is a lot of dark humor added with a little spice of light in between. A stew you become strangely addicted to.

I would also like to mention Tales of Camelot by @_sims_Yimi A medieval story that has quite a few fairies and supernatural elements, as well as some gripping tales of fate.

Of the new acquaintances, I would mention The True Story of the Villareal Family by MannyLikeSims and Seventeen & Maldusk by @GlacierSnow
    I could name so many others. I have always successfully searched among those who write comments on the stories I read. Many of them are Simlit writers themselves.
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited January 2023
    @AdamsEve1231 First off, Thank you for the shoutout @Kellogg_J_Kellogg ~ ~ I may as well throw myself in there and say I more or less exclusively write sci-fi (ish) and fantasy (mostly), but as Kellogg says the subject matter of my current story is pretty heavy and it will only get worse.

As for favourite stories, since most of my faves have been mentioned I've been really enjoying the True Story of the Villareal Family by MannyLikesSims (Not sure if this writer is on the forum). It's a fun, sometimes sad, mostly funny story with a slapstick almost cartoon-like element at times. It's about a normal family...with no secrets...none at all...nope.
    they/them or she/her
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    Thank you very much for the shout out @hellohannah2.❤️ I'm really touched by what you said about my story. Lucky Girl is one of my absolute favorite stories. It is wonderfully written and Evie is a character so many women can relate too. The picture you paint of her brings her to life.

I was caught off guard so I need to regroup and think of some stories that may not have been mentioned to share.
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    As for favourite stories, since most of my faves have been mentioned I've been really enjoying the True Story of the Villareal Family by MannyLikesSims (Not sure if this writer is on the forum). It's a fun, sometimes sad, mostly funny story with a slapstick almost cartoon-like element at times. It's about a normal family...with no secrets...none at all...nope.

Hey, that sounds great...I'M THERE!

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg You'll love it, it's hilarious XD I would say more but I think it's one of those left funnier unexplained until you know what it is that makes it so darkly hilarious.
    they/them or she/her
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    @SnowBnuuy i just blasted though all of the True Story of the Villarreal Family and I spent the entire time cackling - it’s so so excellent! Thank you for the recommendation. I wonder how you (and many others, evidently) discovered it when the writer isn’t active on these forums. Is there another place to share stories that I should know about?
    s54gWQ5.png
    The only other SimLit group I'm a member of is Sims of History on Discord. Lots of stories set in the 19th century. If you like costume dramas involving the upper strata of society that's the place to go. There's some very good stories on it...the creativity in using Sims 4 in a historical setting is amazing.
    Rumours of Sim 66's demise have been greatly exaggerated....here's the latest chapter. Suzy and Neil are looking for a book, Lilith Pleasant is Looking For A Muse.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2023/01/chapter-184-looking-for-muse.html

73cstao.png
    @hellohannah2 Not sure how the others came across it, but that one was a recommendation by Yimi I think?
    they/them or she/her
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    I haven't been able to follow as many as I'd like, but I do have a soft spot for a few:

The Strauds by Feroshgirl - This is a dark and hilarious and scary and touching story of the thousand year old autistic vampire Vladislaus Straud, the woman he loves, his strained relationship with his adopted children Caleb and Lilith, and all the people around them. And murder. And magic. And old gods. Because even monsters deserve to be loved. Almost all the characters are premades, so there's plenty of familiar faces, everyone really needs therapy and it's great. Feroshgirl's writing is amazing, I laugh and cry every single chapter. She also makes wonderful machinimas.

Catastrophe Theory and the spin-off webcomic Haunted by DollyLlama - Catastrophe Theory is a fascinating read that can't be easily described and I don't want to spoil anything. One feature I love is that while there is an overall plot, the game mechanics are treated as real. That is, the characters spin into their clothes, death is reversible with the right tools, and people can die from being too emotional. The characters also have some amount of free will that causes changes, such as one of the main characters, Xiyuan Liu, autonomously flirting with the Von Haunt ghost, Bernard, leading to an epic love story. This is also the plot for the webcomic Haunted, which is so beautifully drawn that I can't believe it's her first comic.

The True Story of the Villareal Family by MannyLikesSims. Honestly, I recommend everything Manny writes, her short stories are both funny and touching, and she's not afraid of not going for a happy end. I was emotionally destroyed (in the best way) by My Roommate, The Vampire. The True Story of the Villareal Family follows the Villareals and some of the other citizens of Windenburg and it's absolutely laugh out loud hilarious, especially if you have a dark sense of humor. I won't spoil anything, but Jacques Villareal is a very bad man.

I've also recently started reading @CathyTea but this took me a while because my autistic brain wanted to start from the very beginning and there's just so much to read. But I finally just jumped into it and I'm really enjoying your writing, Cathy!

I also follow Tusnelda and Trix by @MonaSolstraale and this is once again one where I haven't been back to the beginning yet, but I'm really enjoying it even though I kinda jumped in at the middle.

There are more, but these are the ones I make an effort to read as soon as I can, even when I should be doing my own writing.
    generation5julia.png
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    edited January 2023
    Most of the stories I follow are in the General Discussion section, but there are a couple more in addition to @hellohannah2's 'Lucky Girl" in this section that I also follow. The first is @haneul 'Fier Legacy'. It follows Asher, a callous vampire and his large, mixed family of vampires and mortals. The other is 'Wyrd Girls' by @luciusstorm which is a supernatural saga that follows the lives of immortal witch Cassie Goth, her wife Gwen whose family guards the Magic Realm and their daughter Miranda and her girlfriend Mariah.
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    @SirianaSims Thank you for your recommendation <3
    For Simlit who has been running for several years, it is definitely a recommended method to just jump on the train somewhere. I have done it several times and one of the advantages may be that the comments and the community with other readers are more present.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you for the mention! <3

I will mention a couple more that no one has recommended yet. Since I have a legacy or something that is at least legacy-adjacent, I will note two of those.
    Miller Legacy by @HermioneSims – A supernatural legacy that focuses on a family of aliens. It has a nice slice-of-life aspect to it and lots of alien lore to enjoy.
    Duchelli Legacy by @SirianaSims – This legacy follows an interesting family and how they handle generational trauma.

There are also a lot of funny, short, easy-to-read stories and vignettes posted in the What Happened in My Game threads.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I wonder how you (and many others, evidently) discovered it when the writer isn’t active on these forums. Is there another place to share stories that I should know about?

@hellohannah2 I think we find a lot of them through WordPress comments. A new commenter may appear on someone's blog. That person then follows the link back to the commenter's site and are introduced to their writing and the commenter's commenters :D (many of those commenters also likely write SimLit).
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    Ending this round of the Henriques Chronicles on a light note with a short chapter. 2/38 Alexis
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »
    Ending this round of the Henriques Chronicles on a light note with a short chapter. 2/38 Alexis

my new female sim deced to burn in a fire so going back to noel and lauren
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member

That's Noel and Lauren saying "Hey! Pay attention to us!" :lol:
    image.png
    edited January 2023

That's Noel and Lauren saying "Hey! Pay attention to us!" :lol:

they don't even pay attention to each other. lol. i have him call her and shes like no i don't want to come over. jokes on her though i moved her back in with him .lol and ayden is the pay attenton to us guy. i have no idea why but my favorite ayden story will always be the one time i told him no then he threw up.
    Rumours of Sim 66's demise have been greatly exaggerated....here's the latest chapter. Suzy and Neil are looking for a book, Lilith Pleasant is Looking For A Muse.

73cstao.png

73cstao.png

but you started the rumors lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top