Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Lot Type for Roller Rinks?

I've always wondered why a 'roller rink' lot type wasn't introduced with Seasons. I love the idea of having a retro roller rink for sims to visit on a Friday night or with the family on the weekend... I see roller rinks incorporated into lots of different lot types on the gallery but am wondering what people have found in their experience to be the best lot type to use for a roller rink so that sims actually autonomously roller skate while there and it isn't just an afterthought that only the active sims make use of. Bar? Restaurant? Karaoke? Nightclub? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I recently downloaded a lot from the gallery that surprised me at first, but I really love it now: it's a replacement lot for Planet HoneyPop, and it's a boba/thrift shop with a roller rink on the first floor. So now all my trendy YAs in the Fashion District can meet up at one venue for boba, shopping, and skating. It's not a combination that I ever would have thought of myself, but it's surprisingly great.

I've also planned for a while now to update the Worthington's retail venue (MP) into more of an approximation of a mall, so it might be fun to put a rink in the first floor there, as well.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Oh, but to answer your question a bit more specifically: if you were going to make the roller rink the sole focus, I would probably just make it a park (and then hide the other mandatory park objects, like in a locked underground level).
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    I put a skating rink on a community space lot and it works pretty well. But most often I don't bother to add them to lots due to their size and the fact that they are already available in the neighbourhood space and just use those.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    Park works well. Lots of child and teen sims show up at parks and use the rink. You just either have to create a logical reason for also chess tables there, or hide them as @Amapola76 suggested.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I added a lounge to the snowy section of Mt. Komorebi and put an ice skating rink on it. Sims would skate there all the time. A bar or nightclub would most likely work too.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I like having a roller/ice skate rink in a park. You can still have picnic area, chess, and the play area, or even a food stall or 2. That way everyone can enjoy it, choosing which activity they want to do. I also built the old Sims 2 roller rink for my Sims 4 and put a cafe area in it as well as arcade games. I use the cafe lot type .
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    I like cafes and bars. I have a cafe with roller rink in Windenburg. My ice skating rinks are in San Myshuno (indoors) and Mt. Komorebi, both are bar lot types.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    I've never placed a roller rink in my game, but my best guess would be Generic for the lot designation. Especially, if that's the only thing going on said lot.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,856 Member
    I've never placed a roller rink in my game, but my best guess would be Generic for the lot designation. Especially, if that's the only thing going on said lot.

Generic would mean no other visitors. Pretty lonely roller rinks.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member

Really. That's not what happens in my game. I made a Church venue Generic and when the bridal party arrived there were all kinds of unwanted visitors.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,856 Member

Really. That's not what happens in my game. I made a Church venue Generic and when the bridal party arrived there were all kinds of unwanted visitors.

Oh, maybe its my game then, in generic only sims walk by, never get in the lot. Havent used that trair for ages, because of that. might be different now.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member

Oh, maybe its my game then, in generic only sims walk by, never get in the lot. Havent used that trair for ages, because of that. might be different now.

In my experience generic lots do not get visitors. I don't think you can have social events on generic lots either.
  • CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    RedShoe7 wrote: »
    I added a lounge to the snowy section of Mt. Komorebi and put an ice skating rink on it. Sims would skate there all the time. A bar or nightclub would most likely work too.

That is a great idea!