Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons or Island Living (Close please) Got my new expanison

PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
Hello,

I'm looking to get an expanison pack for the Sims4. Especially since they are 50% off, I have come down to Seasons or Island Living.

Which one would anyone choose?

Thanks.
:) Smile!

Post edited by Puddinroy on

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    I haven’t fully explored island living and I don’t think it’s bad at all, but from what I’ve seen so far from it I would personally go for seasons. I think seasons adds so much to the game. It makes all your packs better.

Do be aware seasons doesn’t come with a new world though, it might not be the best choice for a first expansion pack. But if you have others then I’d say seasons.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    I'd go for seasons. Mermaids and Sulani magic are underwelming (compared to other occults) and the gameplay is a bit repetitive and, like with Strangerville, you can only do it once per new save. Sulany is very beautifull but the only gameplay of the pack that I've used more than once is the part time jobs.

Seasons is the EP that has the best cross pack compatibility, you get weather in every world, you get different seasons in every world, you also get seasonal events (Winterfest, Harvest Day, Love Day and many other spontaneous and configurable ones), a new extra curricular for kids and teens -scouts-, seasonal gardening, new NPCs, seasonal clothing, new deaths. There's a lot of gameplay and I would recommend it for everyone.
    Happy simming!
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2023
    I second the above. Seasons fixes a big problem with the immersion of the game and that's the lack of feeling that time is actually passing, beyond day and night cycles. It's got something for everyone. It doesn't matter if you prefer realisim, occults, you like or dislike family gameplay, you're a screenshotter, you're a builder, etc. You'll like Seasons.

Island Living, on the other hand... the only thing I liked about it is the world. I screenshot often and use it as a favorite vacation spot for my Sims. That's it. Mermaids are uninteresting and not nearly as fleshed out as the other occults, scuba diving is essentially a rabbit hole when in TS3, you could actually play your Sim underwater and explore the reef. The gameplay just consists of cleaning up the island, which is basically sending your Sim around the island, picking up trash, and doing that over and over again. Island Living accomplishes giving more location and build variety into your game and little else, in my opinion.

Seasons accomplishes enriching the entire game whereas Island Living suffers from a big problem a lot of packs have. The majority of its gameplay, gameplay that's much more shallow than the ocean the island is on, is locked to its singular world. Which, if this game had open worlds, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but it doesn't. So it is.

So if you have plenty of worlds and want a pack to improve all of them, I'd say Seasons. If you're sick of the towns, suburbs, cities, etc and want something different, then... I guess Island Living.
  • SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    If I had to give one of the two up, it would be Seasons. I'm kind of in love with Sulani, and really enjoy playing households in that world more than any other.

If there were another world I enjoyed playing in more than Sulani, I'd probably want to keep Seasons. The seasonal changes add a lot of variety to most worlds, though (aside from thunderstorms and monsoons) changing seasons have much less impact on Sulani.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Seasons makes all the worlds feel different, the seasonal changes are beautiful and there are different activities you can do based on the weather outside which I find to be a nice change of pace. Island Living somehow manages to feel incomplete.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    A couple of pros for Island Living:

- Island living has a world that changes dynamically with your actions, although only for the better, never for the worse, and the changes are rather subtle.
    - The conservationist career is fun and has a real impact on your game with the global policies you can pass later (for example makes food prices rise or grant sims a monetary nonus when fishing invasive species out of the ocean).
    - The pack introduces odd jobs that are available in every world, not just the new one.

And cons for Seasons:
    - Climate is fixed per world, you cannot decide yourself
    - There are only three possible lengths of seasons

That said, you can't really go wrong with Seasons. Myself I got it last, first experiencing the gameplay of the other packs and then rediscovering all the worlds with Seasons.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited January 2023
    I really love both

but I too must say Seasons because its just kind of always there making my gaming more fun regardless of what I am playing with

Island Living is more like fun get away from the everyday gameplay
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    If you’re expecting a fun occult that’s fleshed out, you’re NOT getting that with mermaids. Incredibly underwhelming. Sure the worlds nice but that’s just about it.
    I’d go with seasons.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    @all: Thanks for your input. I'm going with Seasons. :)
    :) Smile!

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I'd go for Seasons. I have meny worlds so it's a great effect from the changing seasons in most of them, but also I think most of the weather changes came wity this pack. Most worlds have their typical seasons and weather pattern. Like heat waves, rain, storms and temperatures. There'sa a lot more to it than just a sunny day or snow or rain. Nature develops gradually, not overnight.
    With Island you would get Summer of course, but I'm not sure how variedtheSummer would be without Seasons. If you prefer all days to be sunny, maybe IL would be best for you now.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I recommend Seasons 1st then Island Living.
    It's possible to use the Weather Machine in Oasis Springs, Del Sol Valley & Strangerville if you want it to look a bit Wintery. Plus, you get different seasonal holidays to play with. :p
    Island Living has the beautiful Sulani world & Mermaids. B)