Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    edited January 2023
    s_stutler wrote: »
    Here is a list of my personal missed opportunities for this pack, in no particular order: <-- Modders (hint hint)

---Snip---

Honestly, I feel the sims team messed up with the marketing. It says Highschool but the school is just a set dressing at best. I know they have a time crunch and (insert whatever excuse) so things are hard, but it would be nice if they focused in on flushed out content instead of shallow quantity. They should have scrapped the school and just sold it as a teenfluencer pack.

They should have really gone all out on thrifty so players could have full control over it and make it so I can't sell a suit for $9 million. Players should have been able to set who wears their clothes. If players want to market to only women, then fine, if they want to market their outfit to men and women then fine, if they want to market only to teens, children, or elders then players should be allowed to decide who they want to market their outfits to.

Players should be able to sell clothes at maybe max 300% markup price, but their ability to do so should tie into the number of followers they have, the more popular they are, the higher price they can sell an item.

Since the pack would focus on influencers, they should have tried to make having fans actually matter. Having followers doesn't really mean anything in the game, so it would have been nice if sims could lose followers and have trends that get disliked or liked. Maybe allow fans to request services from you.

It didn't have to just work for thrifty either, players can have fans request work from them if they are:
    • An artist - a fan can request sad art or a realistic art in poor quality or perfect quality
    • A musician could be asked to write a parody song or ask that a song be dedicated to them
    • A writer may be asked to sign a book or write a poem
    • A dancer might be asked to stream some dance tips
    • A gamer may be asked to host a 12 hour streaming event on a Friday night for some friends
    • Even for thrifty having a rabbit hole photoshoot opportunity for clothes/makeup/perfume offered based on your fan numbers could trickle to many other jobs

If they really buckled down on flushing out trendi and the influencer job this pack could have offered us a lot of gameplay time without the disappointment of the ignored school. Puberty like body hair, deodorant, makeup, skin care and perfume should have been base game updates that could have been enhanced with packs like spa day, eco life, warewolves and get famous.

Yes, thank you! This EP feels like it was centered around its collab with Depop for it, so I feel as though they neglected the core gameplay that the pack was meant to be about, AKA what's in it's title lol. Many many missed opportunities in this pack. It feels as though they really worked alot on designing the world aesthetic, the trendi app functions and all of the assets for it, and then last minute built a school and added some minor gameplay for it. Fell kinda flat for me.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    The Depop collab gets even funnier as the thrifting-reselling scheme garners more and more criticism and controversy IRL.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    So i finally found an okay enough deal so I caved in a got this pack :D all of my previous points still stand after playing it for a few hours. the school system needs an overhaul. it’s way too boring just sitting watching them taking notes or stare at their phone, some interactions for the player to choose would be nice.
    the pier is quite buggy for me, idk about anyone else.
    prom was okay, nothing super fun, sadly, and it’s weird how it only counts if you take a photo by yourself and not with someone in the photo booth for the event.
    also, did they literally take drink vending machine items from Snowy Escape and put them in the ones in this pack or is that just “pack integration”? i’d have liked new vending machine drink options.

I would love it if some of those pranks could be done by our active Sims, and not just in a flurry of drop-down messages. Oi! I had one Sim who was primed and ready for such mischief, so I clicked on the answer that he would go along with whatever it was. Then I sat back and watched and waited. Rolls eyes. A big fat nothing burger is what I got. Anymore, I use MCCC to cheat up their grades and have them graduate early. University is far more entertaining than this.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    Tried to apply lot traits/challenges to the high school but several of them don't work.
    • Vampire Nexus
    • Cursed
    • Creepy Crawlies
    • Spooky
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    s_stutler wrote: »
    * Career Day - Ok.. I kind of like this idea, but it has many faults. #1. Your Sim is "supposed" to ask all 3 presenters about the career they're speaking on, and listen to their entire presentation. Okk.. except, the ENTIRE TIME you are at "career day" that person is giving a presentation. So.. you literally have to interrupt them, and then, you don't even get a moodlet or actually learn anything. I would have thought that talking with someone about the career they do, would trigger at least something in your Teen?

I got moodlets listening to presentations. One was a scared one from the mafia one, I think there was a bored one that said something like ‘people really do that for their lives?’ And I got a happy one for a job they were interested in. That was the military and I decided to make her a military sim because of the job day.

It’s not the greatest event but there was definetly moodlets.
    I tried quickly Trendi but a lot of clothes are missing, you can't do what you want.

• jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    My priorities with the game are simple, so I'm not too fussed with some of the issues brought up here regarding HSY. That being said, i find the actual high school and high school game play to have the worst simulation lag of any other types of gameplay. Merely picking up an ordered lunch takes something like 30 seconds. It's awful and makes me only want to attend the high school one or two days out of the week, max.
    edited February 2023
    EP13 Growing Together : Baby Carrier :)

EP12 High School Years / EP08 Discover University / EP13 Growing Together / GP05 Parenthood : No backpack :(
  • SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    Tried to apply lot traits/challenges to the high school but several of them don't work.
    • Vampire Nexus
    • Cursed
    • Creepy Crawlies
    • Spooky

A couple of them work in unexpected/funny ways, compared with how they're supposed to. I tried adding Wild Foxes, figuring it would be amusing if there were foxes on the grounds. No foxes appear, but NPC students become Terrified while outdoors on school grounds. Apparently the student body is very frightened by even the possibility of encountering a wild fox?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    My priorities with the game are simple, so I'm not too fussed with some of the issues brought up here regarding HSY. That being said, i find the actual high school and high school game play to have the worst simulation lag of any other types of gameplay. Merely picking up an ordered lunch takes something like 30 seconds. It's awful and makes me only want to attend the high school one or two days out of the week, max.

I put in Banquet tables when I used a mod that allowed for more students, ones I picked myself. I decided that would be a faster way to grab lunch. The line is ridiculous. Worse than I recall when I was in high school, back in the Stone Ages. This year is my 50th Class Reunion. Chew on that one for a moment. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited February 2023
    I'm disappointed by the pier.
    • There is nobody (it's Saturday), only 3 NPC employees.
    • No emotion when my sim visit the ferris wheel or something else
    • No cost, everything is free.

There is no reason to go there, just it's decorative for screenshots.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Yeah, I wish they had a non rabbit hole ferris wheel and had a few carnival games.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member

I definitely wish there was more foot traffic at the carnival fair. I recently tried to create clubs that could possibly interact with the objects in that area but it's still pretty much dead. They need to add more actions for the Get Together pack. There's no ride carnival rides, use photobooth, buy ice cream or view statues. I tried to think of anything that would get them in that area. I choose stuff like play chess, watch entertainment, go fishing (but there's a fishing spot at the park) and woohoo socials hoping they'll autonomously get in the rides to woohoo without me playing them. I even put teen neighborhood on all the houses and park for teen walk around the area. That carnival doesn't get NPC visitors and needs an update.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    edited February 2023

Yeah, I wish they had a non rabbit hole ferris wheel and had a few carnival games.

this. even if the ferris wheel had to be rabbit hole, i would have much more preferred carnival games like we got in TS3 supernatural/showtime such as pinball, whack-a-gnome, skee-ball, claw machine, etc.. That would have made the pier soooo much more interactive than all of the rabbit-hole rides (they have cute outer shells but that's all they are).
  • CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    I'm currently running into an issue of drama/scouting not being part of an 'after-school activity' and I don't know why that is. This household predates this pack and the children have poured effort and time into these two extracurricular activities... I mean, I don't mind aiming for a teen aspiration, but this was personally very jarring to me to find out.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    HSY has no mind of existing relationships. Last weekend I took one of my married couples to the tunnel of love. All I got was a crush-related chance card about increasing the relationship :|. Also got a crush moodlet or something with the photobooth.

In another household I had one of my teen sims leave a prom invitation note at her boyfriend's locker. Back at home, she got a generic "No thanks" popup from him. Thankfully there was no moodlet.

I agree. The pier functionality makes no sense. I will have to look for more mods to fix this pack.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2023
    Looking back on the whole HSY experience now, I realize that I am more in love with my Setting/Setup than I am with the game play from the pack. The best thing the pack did was make my teens feel like they had more of a life by getting them out of the off-lot hidden rabbit hole school. I did a lot to make it a better experience for me.

-I replaced that horribly bland school with my own creation.
    -I used a mod to bring in NPC students from my own group of sims instead of generic townies.
    -I created things to do between classes because the actual class is boring. (Basically socializing, granting wishes, building needed skills, and Uni prep)
    -I didn't bother with school clubs because they are just boring rabbit holes, so I had my sims gather in groups after classes.
    -I repurposed the town library, because Get Together clubs can't operate on school property.

What I enjoyed most from the game was the Boba tea shop, as it is a natural hangout for my teen sims.
    I also like them cobbling together outfits in the shop and using Trendi.

I had created a test save because I wanted to try out everything before using it on my main sims.
    And then I set it all aside because I hated the Fears system and a few other annoying bugs. Growing Together is now coming and I haven't even truly played HSY yet. :p

My pics look like I had a great time with this test of the pack, and actually I did, but I attribute this mostly to my setting, my mod, and my sims.
    08-01-22_12-03-56_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    [More Pics]
    Students_hsy_profiles2.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-30-22_6-16-27_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

08-02-22_10-09-11_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-30-22_12-58-26_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-30-22_1-01-30_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

No generic townie NPCs, these are all my sims.
    08-01-22_11-54-26_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-28-22_9-12-37_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-28-22_9-19-18_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-31-22_10-30-10_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I felt the need to improve career day because my sims are preparing for Uni.
    07-31-22_10-48-54_AM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I really liked the idea of adding teens to my sim families from worlds such as Komorebi and Sulani as foreign exchange students.
    07-31-22_10-57-13_AM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Checking out Foxbury and Britechester.
    07-31-22_11-02-41_AM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

School library for after school homework, socializing, research and debate skills related to Uni.
    07-30-22_6-42-24_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So when I get Growing Together, I will still be getting familiar with HSY as well as Growing Together.
    I am hoping the new social dynamic features from Growing Together liven things up, and I hope the new game play actually works.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    > @LeGardePourpre said:
    > I'm disappointed by the pier.* There is nobody (it's Saturday), only 3 NPC employees.
    > * No emotion when my sim visit the ferris wheel or something else
    > * No cost, everything is free.
    >
    >
    > There is no reason to go there, just it's decorative for screenshots.

The pier is like a ghost town...
    It's cool if your Sims get anxious around lots of people though lol.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited March 2023
    Are there any mods to "fix" the pier functionality? I didn't find any. My search just led me to download more CC. :D

Oh well. At least I have the NPC mod that allows you to choose your own HS sims. That was my biggest gripe. I haven't gottten the chance for a full play session yet.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
    I don't understand why Football is less fun than Soccer and Basketball in The Sims, even the clothing is less good.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member

The event where you go there after prom to keep the party going seems to be the main reason for it. It would be nice if it always had some sims there though.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited March 2023
    I would like more incentive to take your teen to class. There’s nothing really to ‘grab’ you to go there. When other things come up in the game, I get distracted and I’ll send the teen off but not follow them.

Maybe if the Principal was to call? Come round and speak to the parents. Something!

Prom doesn’t work as a regular thing. Perhaps if another party was regular instead, like ‘hang out’ or ‘chilled time’. IRL prom is once.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    Not necessarily a negative opinion but: you can't preview an outfit on the thrift app before buying it?
    edited March 2023
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    The rides in the amusement park should have been activities and objects that you could find in build mode and place in other worlds.

You should be able to build your own school.

Teens height should have been toned down.

We could have gotten at leat two different heights and body presets to simulate teens and pre teens.

I honestly don't care about having a whole process of growing hair, etc. (body hair should be base game anyways, >skin details). I feel like that's wasted energy and money, they should have put it into fixing more basic features.

In my opinion High-schools should be more like the University, you have classes that are rabbit holes but you can actually attend them and walk between buildings. And the rest, the fun things, like soccer games, clubs, etc should be real events inside different locations in the high-school campus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top