Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Collection of Creepy Things in The Sims Series

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    Seems like Kotaku is making some articles on how creepy The Sims 2 for Nintendo DS is. I'll link one of them here (it also has the link to another inside the article).

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/08/the-sims-2-ds-haunted-creepypasta/
    Youtube channel CrazyMarq made another video on scary things in The Sims Series.

https://youtu.be/kTi2m7FV5Is
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2021
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    The scariest thing is how imaginative we the players can get. We can imagine a world fueled by nothing but endless suffering for our sims, or a world where everyone hates eachother and children are locked in rooms to get taken away. It's scary how your sim can just leave their child in their burning house, and leave them to die. They pick up the toddler, but not the kid. It's scary how Ghosts can cause your sims lives to be painful-or short lived. The sims is not just a silly life simulator. This game is an advanced device where some people can act out whatever fantasies they want, no matter how dark and twisted they are. That is what is the scariest part of the franchise.
    @MyriadSims
    What's funny is that the examples you posited are just obvious "child burning ants with a magnifying glass"-levels of fantasy.

Your statement about it being an advanced device for living out dark and twisted fantasies couldn't be more on-point. A bit more imagination and some working knowledge of the game's AI and mechanics can make some unbelievable outcomes.

As for my scary aspects of the game:
    - The "ugly" face from Realm of Magic isn't so much "scary" as it is hard to look at, but I'd count it.
    - The paintings from Spooky Stuff (the ones that change faces) can be terrifying when playing into the late hours (especially when the brain gets to that point of "3AM paranoia".
    - Finally, ghost children. So rarely do children die in the game, and it's so much so that one could go all 7 years now and have never seen it occur. Due to this, the ghosts of children have an extra layer of uncertainty and dread that they bring with them.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
    edited September 2021
    Well, here's another link, this time it is a list of creepy things.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/TheSims

Though one correction to make is about mummy's curse: the thing appearing on the screen when sim is close to death is not a skull, it's mummy's face. That is much more scarier in my opinion as mummy's face is already scary enough (don't you get creeped out too when you stare closely at a mummy's face?).
    And the clown box thing is under The Sims 3, which should actually go under The Sims 2 mainly due to the grouchy personality and memory part.
    Though there is one thing I'm wondering: does a creepy music really play when a prank call happens? Some say it does. If you have answers, please share, because right now in my experience the answer is no. Well, it may be because I play with music off due to these danger themes.
  • SunflowerkissesSunflowerkisses Posts: 3 New Member
    This is unrelated to the post but, I am trying to rank up so I can post a new thread I am searching for a specific sims hair that is definitely CC for a 3D model and I don’t play the game :( PLEASE HELP BY LIKING! I have asked other places but it seems the best place to ask is here and someone will recognize the hair!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    This is unrelated to the post but, I am trying to rank up so I can post a new thread I am searching for a specific sims hair that is definitely CC for a 3D model and I don’t play the game :( PLEASE HELP BY LIKING! I have asked other places but it seems the best place to ask is here and someone will recognize the hair!

@Sunflowerkisses, it would be better to ask in one of the existing threads over in The Sims 4 Modding & Custom Content section instead of going around posting in several unrelated threads as that is considered going 'Off Topic'.

Here is a link to The Sims 4 Modding & Custom Content section providing that you're playing TS4.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-modding-and-custom-content
  • Shamae03Shamae03 Posts: 29 Member
    I find the burglar music in TS3 creepy
    Shamae03 wrote: »
    I find the burglar music in TS3 creepy

Agreed. Every burglar music is creepy because it's so sudden.

The Sims 1 with its infamy, The Sims 2 with the one you can sing along with lyrics "Don't love me...", and The Sims 3 with it's sneakiness.

One thing is for sure: it breaks silence. Puts into panic mode. Makes you regret you didn't buy a burglar alarm (if you don't have one) and makes you yell at your sim for not getting up fast enough to call the police.
  • SansannaSansanna Posts: 37 Member
    I tried Sims 4 Get Famous when it was on trial and one of the quirks my famous sim got was that her phone number had leaked. The random texts you start getting after that.. I don't remember all of them but like asking for a strand of your hair for a shrine and if I remember right, threats that your 15 minutes in fame is about to end. Some of the texts are funny but some of them I just found creepy. Awesome but creepy.
    Gallery id: sannaljm
    Sansanna wrote: »
    I tried Sims 4 Get Famous when it was on trial and one of the quirks my famous sim got was that her phone number had leaked. The random texts you start getting after that.. I don't remember all of them but like asking for a strand of your hair for a shrine and if I remember right, threats that your 15 minutes in fame is about to end. Some of the texts are funny but some of them I just found creepy. Awesome but creepy.

Yes, you are right. I have also got that same message, which made my sim tense. With scared emotion added, I don't know whether it still makes the sim tense or scared.
    edited January 2022
    I have decided to go ahead and make an iceberg chart of the creepy things. Feel free to have a look and suggest new entries!

https://icebergcharts.com/i/Creepy_Things_in_The_Sims_Series
    izecson wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @Babykittyjade Compared to other things in the series, I don’t think it was THAT scary.

Many of these are indeed subjective. Some may not be scary to you while others may. That's OK! Feel free to share what's scary to you in The Sims series or stories of what scared you. Don't worry, we'll understand.
    Yes any world with ocean that is deep enough can spawn kraken

Yes, that is indeed so. Fun fact: if you have a boat near a diving spot and your sim is diving underwater, you may see kraken underwater. Just like one shown in this picuture (I'll include URL in case the picture doesn't load).
    latest?cb=20130818132823

Oh, I happen to have mine as well

Screenshot-601.jpg

Hey! I'd like to use this image in my iceberg chart's side images.

Is this OK? If not, let me know as soon as possible.
  • LeahmayLeahmay Posts: 5 New Member
    It’s a late comment but to me the scariest thing about ts3 is when you think you want yr sim to do something and yr sim goes to do that thing before you command them. Happens to me a lot and freaks me out. Like the game reads my mind
    Leahmay wrote: »
    It’s a late comment but to me the scariest thing about ts3 is when you think you want yr sim to do something and yr sim goes to do that thing before you command them. Happens to me a lot and freaks me out. Like the game reads my mind

No worries. The last comment isn't over 2 years old. Plus it is never too late to revive this thread. Who knows what more have come?

It has happened to a lot of players, usually with needs-based stuff...
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    edited January 2023
    I played sims 2 when I was a kid, and I have to say that Nervous Subject freaked me the heck out. I can't explain what it is exactly - maybe the weird, long narrow head, but he was very much in the uncanny valley for me. Even looking at pictures now gives me a shiver up my spine. He's also the child of Olive Specter and the GRIM REAPER. terrifying. Strangetown in general gives me the spooks.

ijld4gcxhjld.png
    s54gWQ5.png
    Something from The Sims 2 Apartment Life: Eye of Newt (with Viper Essence next to it). Primarily used in evil spells.
    zce5tcsdczk6.png

Great for spooky builds. You just need a way to get it (and that's with a witch).
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Trowicia wrote: »
    z7eRvuO.png

this prank call spooked young Trowicia because I didn't know anything about them being a thing in the game.

i had my sim do everything but go to the front door ever since :joy:

I never played TS1, but that game does have some savage content in it. I read a post a while back when a then-child recalled playing TS1 late at night with a friend and the burglar music sounded and they screamed.

My contribution to this list is murphy beds in TS2. A sim can die if the bed falls on him or her. Yikes! I wonder what the devs were thinking on that one.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Trowicia wrote: »
    z7eRvuO.png

this prank call spooked young Trowicia because I didn't know anything about them being a thing in the game.

i had my sim do everything but go to the front door ever since :joy:

I never played TS1, but that game does have some savage content in it. I read a post a while back when a then-child recalled playing TS1 late at night with a friend and the burglar music sounded and they screamed.

My contribution to this list is murphy beds in TS2. A sim can die if the bed falls on him or her. Yikes! I wonder what the devs were thinking on that one.

They were probably thinking that fun requires some element of suspense and surprise. Something they since forgot.
    Kids invent fun/scary games like "Bloody Mary" and "Light as a Feather/Stiff as a Board" and love to tell and hear campfire stories because without chills, there aren't many thrills.

I loved those mysterious menacing phone messages, but was disappointed when. I started suspecting that's all theg were and nothing actually happened because of them. Or did it...? 🤔 maybe "they" who were coming,,were swarms of roaches?

I didn't find the glitched buzzing flies sound in the kitchen scary, but they were really annoying and made a good sound effect for making it seem as if there must be something to attract flies, somewhere in the house...hidden where no one could see it...

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member

Oh that still happens in TS4.
    gen3-banner.png

Oh that still happens in TS4.

And in TS3.

Just in The Sims 2, it is really rare compared to the next games: you need less than 5 levels in Body skill and -70 or less mood (in other words, the mood bar must be in really deep red) and even then there's 5% chance of it happening. Compared to The Sims 3 (where Murphy bed can crush at any time and does not always kill) and The Sims 4 (where Murphy beds stop killing once it is fully upgraded), The Sims 2's Murphy Beds are actually the safest in the series.

Some tips to avoid the death:
    • All games: Just try to keep the bed open.
    • TS2: Have your sim increase their body skill.
    • TS2: Keep your sim's mood happy. If you see some red, just open the bed.
    • TS3: Never buy the bed. It's literally a death trap and always will be.
    • TS4: If you have a child in your household, have them always open it. If it malfunctions on them, it will just shake them. It never kills children.
    • TS4: Increase your sim's handiness skill so you can upgrade the bed.
    • TS4: If you see your sim be frustrated after pressing the button on the remote or see them press the button differently, try to immediately cancel the interaction.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    @EgonVM I think you are right. I looked up Murphy Beds in the sims fandom and it does explain how sims can be crushed to death in each game. I must have read something back then and became really paranoid about the bed in TS2. I have always bought regular beds anyways.

A quick read for those who are interested. https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Murphy_bed
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    edited February 2023
    One thing that was kinda spooky to me happened in the Sims 2.
    I knew about the Sims interacting with the player when you sometimes let them do something, like let them kiss the Sim they wanted, they would cheer. Then make them do something they don't want, or aren't sure about, they make faces to complain or grimace.
    One time I paused the game, and was moving the mouse side to side, because I wanted to catch a ghost that was floating around the room. What spooked me was that the active Sim moved their head with my mouse movements, even though the game was paused.
    In Sims 3, there was the glitch with the toddlers that had that mutant thing attached. Those with Sims 3 know what I mean.
    I actually like the scary things, I made one of my Sims work at the cemetery in the Sims 3.
    Edit: To explain why was the Sims 2 thing, I know that in live mode and pause mode, if you click the screen your active Sim's face shows up and follows your mouse to the options. When I was tracking the ghost, I hadn't clicked the screen, and was just moving the mouse and the camera around. The active Sim was tracking the movement due to the camera itself, I didn't know it could do that, so it was really creepy at the time. Now I find things like that amusing.
    Post edited by Umbreon12 on
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2023
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Oh, I happen to have mine as well

Screenshot-601.jpg

That's scary. Being closer to that kraken is a really scary thing for me.

Never got to play this in ts3 or even see it. I WANT THIS SO BAD IN TS4. 😭😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Yeah, the creepy things in Sims 3 were & still are so fun. :p
    Except for the Zombies, they were so bad creepy, not fun at all. :s
  • Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

I think the kraken has a higher percentage to show up.
    Hm or it depends of what 1% means? 1% of all games? 1% by a certain time spent on the ocean?
    My daughter and I got both terrified by him. We still agree that this was the scariest thing ever in Sims 🐙
    tumblr_muobovf8zE1sdrnnoo1_1280.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top