Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you customise worlds before playing?

2...Next

Comments

• EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2022
    I sometimes customise worlds, but not always
    I do modify the town sometimes. For instance, my most recent playthrough is set in a heavily modified version of Sunset Valley to make it easier to access content from the EPs. Here are the modifications:
    • Removed the Showtime venues entirely. I dislike Showtime's careers, so they were useless.
    • Moved the buildings added with Ambitions to more appropriate locations. Created a brand new lot on the beach behind the Langraab-Alto hill to use as a junkyard, and a new lot adjacent-to-the-left of the art gallery to place the consginment store.
    • Added multiple high-rises to the three empty lots overlooking the oceanside from above a cliff, including the penthouse of a five-star celebrity, one containing an exclusive lounge, and the final one being a standard apartment.
    • Added a dive bar and dance club to the beachfront.
    • Created a miniature commercial zone outside of the town centre by including the salon from Ambitions, pet store from the Pets Limited Edition, and a church from the TS3 exchange to be used as a wedding venue. This involved moving one empty house to another lot.
    • Added a horse ranch to the empty lot adjacent to the waterfall.
    • Added the time portal to the large lake behind the small mountain for ease-of-access when I grow bored of the rest of the game's content and want to indulge in ITF's absurdly OP features.
    • Added multiple houses I created over the years to the road of empty lots.

I ignored Showtime & Supernatural content because I dislike Showtime, and whilst I can appreciate the quality of Supernatural, it's not my cup of tea. I use ITF occasionally due to the superpowered Plumbots providing nonsensical fun.

Also, when the town became depopulated due to many pre-made Sims passing before they had children, I began adding households that I've made over the years to the town to bring it back to life.
  • VailsVails Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2022
    I exclusively play in custom, community made large worlds that are already packed to the brim with lots of decorations/scenery, large lots, and CC - so more often than not, I don't see a need to or simply don't want to deal with worse in-game lag/freezing. But if I do customize a world in a save, it's always story-driven.
    6h978o3aneec.png
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,960 Member
    I usually remove the Showtime venues as I don’t really use those careers. I often add bars/clubs/lounges, as well as a martial arts lot so Sims can learn martial arts without having to pay to go to China. I’ll often remove the school lot, particularly if it’s the combined school-and-stadium rabbit hole, and put in Par Excellence Preparatory School. I noticed that Sims who are in the Professional Sports career lose their games if they go to the combined rabbit hole, so that’s one of the main reasons I separate the lots.
    Since I got Into the Future, I’ll often plop down a Bot Emporium too.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    Usually I remove one or two Lots (Both Showtime Lots) and replace it with either a Community Lot, a Golf Course, a Bowling Alley or something else. However, I keep the Performance Park and the Nightclub if I'm playing in Starlight Shores. Sometimes I build houses for my Sims to live in
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Simexpert123Simexpert123 Posts: 809 Member
    I just play the game as is, or only make very minor changes
    Some times I do. Most of the time I usually play the game how it is. Sometimes I'll delete/change a character or too, or delete/change a building.
  • faceface Posts: 21 Member
    I regularly customise worlds before playing
    I've been playing in the exact same copy of Moonlight Falls for years. I put way too much importance on visuals and the impression that the town doesn't exist solely for the sake of my current household (as it technically does). I couldn't play before stripping the town down to its bare bones, bulldozing lots along with households. I then meticulously created every single household from scratch, each with its own backstory; I would begin by making families and then splitting them up to move a sibling to one house, grandparents to another, etc. and then pretty much just mix and match. I'm an awful builder so I would download most of the lots, including the festival grounds, but then I would rebuild and redecorate to fit the identities living there. I'm pleased as punch with the end result and it brings me joy every single time I play, but it was an exhausting process.
  • sunnycakessunnycakes Posts: 75 Member
    I am NOT a builder, I make sims, play the game, or do one of the following:
    -Download a build off the gallery
    -Download a build off the gallery and make changes to it
    -Just build a house and have it turn out ugly
    the last one is the rarest
    Be yourself; life is not about pleasing others, it's about pleasing yourself. Don't try to please others if it makes you uncomfortable. If others judge you for who you are, ignore them. If what you do makes you happy, continue.
  • RPGTabbycatRPGTabbycat Posts: 48 Member
    I mostly play the game as is. But I do add in extra Nightclubs and remove excess gyms and such from the game and replace them with residential houses. As for the townies, the only thing I really do is edit the Paparazzi. I remove the klepto trait and replace it with paranoid. I find it hilarious to see panicked paparazzi running around. They used to make me so mad but now they make me laugh every time I see them.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    IF I'm playing in a world that came from EA then I rarely customise it. I have a mod now that stops all of the venues from being automatically placed though so that sort of customises EA worlds when I'm starting a new game. I use the mod because it is quicker to load a new game and the venues being automatically placed are usually things my sims never go near and I never want to investigate and they take up valuable real estate for builds I do want in my game. So, without the mod, after waiting ages for the game to place all of those venues I then have to take a while to bulldoze most of them.

If I'm playing in a custom player made world, I will usually choose an unpopulated world without many buildings in it. If there are sims living in it I usually annihilate them all using a mod. This is because I use these worlds to hold excess population from the world I first started playing in. One of my games has over 1,000 sims in it and it needs about 13 worlds to keep them all in the game. I don't want to have to keep adding extra sims that come with a world to this game when I'm looking for empty space for my overflowing worlds I currently have in the game.
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2022
    I actually only play in custom worlds now, Ridgeview in Summer by Rflong7 being my absolute favorite. Its a world with only empty lots so everything has to be 'built' up. But I like that, I enjoy deciding on the look of the town, the layout. I decide what lots to place, what style buildings, I can arrange residential lots in 'districts' and all the sims are made by me so the genetics are pretty controlled, no random alien eyes or noses that are just so insanely out of proportion it looks painful.

In fact right now I am 'renovating' my old Ridgeview save. Coming back from a long break I am looking at the world thinking, hmm needs some tweaking and some finessing. So I am customizing my custom world even further.
  • hiddengnomeshiddengnomes Posts: 21 Member
    I always want to customize worlds. Add new households/edit their appearances, add new pretty lots to the town. But thinking of how time consuming it is makes me not edit them before playing :D

Usually i'll slowly edit as I play!
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,900 Member
    I kept a few lots original :D . I guess you could say i fit in the category of builders ! I did the whole map twice, on this game. 3 times in my previous game. I filled up all the empty lots and whenever i get a new pack i edit all the lots in the new world one by one !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I always do. Wherever I can, I download empty worlds and build them up to suit my own tastes.
    I'm currently building @Rflong7 's Atira Island.

b430b1257e509a76482ca9f7abb916018171e2fc.jpg

44a103d66ea67db28d983bd299dfa175cce30aac.jpg
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I start up saves in Neverglade, so I put down community lots from expansion packs and put families into empty homes.

Hey, thanks for mentioning that world, looked it up, looks like a nice little world.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ley65ley65 Posts: 19 Member
    i wish i could be bothered to customize worlds! i don't focus on it enough to customize anything about the world unless its the house my family move into
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2023
    I’m not good at building and I usually don’t enjoy building in many video games, so I don’t do much changes to the default stuff in the sims games unless it’s to make certain things or paths accessible for my sims—OR, if I need to make accommodations for particular sims’ needs (like putting pools on school grounds and near shopping/community areas for my mermaid sims, for example).

I also try to download “fixed” versions of the Sims 3 worlds so I don’t have to fix them myself, and I can relax and just play with my sims. 🤗👍
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)