Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Roadmap Infants, Kits, Expansion Pack My thoughts

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    I don't care about the Community Stream and I wish they'd stop hyping that stuff. It's like a commercial for a commercial.
    I think the community stream is where they will talk about this stuff and give dates and everything? It might also be that they drop the patch that day or a week later or something. I think the stream is going to be quite an important one.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Personally, I saw diapers, not underwear! Could be my eyes, which are not the best, but it made me think one of the kits might be more stuff for the new life stage, Infants. I'm just hoping we don't have to wait until after the livestream for the Patch. I'm already running out of things for my Main Save family to do. I've got aging off until the Infants drop. And, of course, this is so there isn't a huge gap between the children. Already the dad wants to try for another baby. Luckily, I have a mod that removes any and all fears, so there's not real rush to fulfill this Want. But still. If I wasn't sharing my Sims stories, I would simply stick to playing my other save for now.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    Personally, I saw diapers, not underwear! Could be my eyes, which are not the best, but it made me think one of the kits might be more stuff for the new life stage, Infants. I'm just hoping we don't have to wait until after the livestream for the Patch. I'm already running out of things for my Main Save family to do. I've got aging off until the Infants drop. And, of course, this is so there isn't a huge gap between the children. Already the dad wants to try for another baby. Luckily, I have a mod that removes any and all fears, so there's not real rush to fulfill this Want. But still. If I wasn't sharing my Sims stories, I would simply stick to playing my other save for now.

The underwear icon with the toothpaste was definitely a CAS kit for lingerie. The cover art leaked on the EA app a day or 2 ago.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Someone mentioned burglars, not my favorite npcs but it got me thinking.

You know what'd be cool? Self-defense and martial arts classes in game. Starting from childhood. You could learn on vacation in sims 3, but it would be awesome in a generations pack. All ages could learn.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    LSM36 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned burglars, not my favorite npcs but it got me thinking.

You know what'd be cool? Self-defense and martial arts classes in game. Starting from childhood. You could learn on vacation in sims 3, but it would be awesome in a generations pack. All ages could learn.

We already got training dummies and the spar interaction with Strangerville and both count for Fitness skill. I doubt they would make a separate self-defense skill.
    Happy simming!
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about the infants update. They go from baby to toddler to kid and that's fine with me, what is the life stage going to be like ? I always thought we were missing pre teen because they go for 10 to 20 years old.

I think it's more so a life stage to make up for the fact that new borns are tied to their cribs and that toddlers already know how to walk, so it's possible this will be a stage to allow simmers to do cute baby things that toddlers are too big to do.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Also yeah, for the tooth beary thing, I think it's for a possible bathroom kit. Which I've actually wanted but I wish it had just been added with the clutter kit, unless it adds new interactive objects, such as a medicine cabinet to grab toothpaste/face wash.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Also yeah, for the tooth beary thing, I think it's for a possible bathroom kit. Which I've actually wanted but I wish it had just been added with the clutter kit, unless it adds new interactive objects, such as a medicine cabinet to grab toothpaste/face wash.

The tooth beary was the teaser for the expansion pack. The kit teasers are the underwear and the toothpaste. I think there's a bathroom kit coming because of the toothpaste.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I think if we get a bathroom kit, it would be nice if they added the ability to place some items on the sink like in previous Sims games. I liked having soap and toothbrushes (with toothpaste would be even better!) on the sink and a bottle of bubble bath on the tub. Can't do that in Sims 4 so I always try to make room for a cabinet to place them on, but I would prefer them being on the sink so have more room in the bathroom!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Only reason for me to play infant stage would be if they are able to build up certain qualities that will later in life help forming their personality. If a toddler builds skills beyond a certain level, that sim will build skills faster later in life. Not sure how this should be done for the infant though, we don't need them to help toddler learn quicker, but perhaps if the baby has so and so skills they could start toddlerhood with some skill points already, reaching the said requirement easier? I think each life stage should have a purpose, game wise and technically. I also want infants to be unique, maybe the toddle trait could be gained as infant, already?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Only reason for me to play infant stage would be if they are able to build up certain qualities that will later in life help forming their personality. If a toddler builds skills beyond a certain level, that sim will build skills faster later in life. Not sure how this should be done for the infant though, we don't need them to help toddler learn quicker, but perhaps if the baby has so and so skills they could start toddlerhood with some skill points already, reaching the said requirement easier? I think each life stage should have a purpose, game wise and technically. I also want infants to be unique, maybe the toddle trait could be gained as infant, already?

Yeah exactly. Like right now they randomly age up with a trait. It would be interesting if either you get like a proto-trait that correlates with one, or multiple, toddler traits you could get. Or if they give infants their own distinct ones. Or even the same ones as toddlers.

Like imagine an infant having a 'Colicky baby 'trait/proto-trait? Hard to put down for bed. Always crying. Maybe another is born with the 'Hard to Latch' trait and needs to be bottle fed. Or 'Loves Milk ❤️🍼' trait and eats more often. Or something.

Maybe the ones who love milk, or are colicky babies end up being fussy toddlers half the time, and independent ones the other half. Truly throwing you for a loop. You can still randomize, or change it, but if you let them age up you get traits based on behavior.

But if they did that they could do it for other life stages too. Like a Charmer toddler is more likely to get at least one social trait as they age up to child. But ones with less influential toddler traits get different traits as they age. And since you aren't who you were as a baby, as they grow and change, you end up with various traits that don't always seem the same.

The Colicky baby > Independence Toddler> Physically Gifted Child who also had time to Get the Creatively Gifted trait> So they have Athletic and Creative as a Teen> and start exploring the creativity as a teen and end up a> Foodie as a Young Adult. Something like that would be cool.

Like I already take into account sim behavior when choosing their traits. But it'd be cute if there was even a little of that in the game itself for the beginning of their lives.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • lunnarilalunnarila Posts: 221 Member
    I have just noticed there is new category of clothing in CAS (underwear). Or has it been before? Maybe it has something to do with one of kits and THIS is what makes it unique?
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    lunnarila wrote: »
    I have just noticed there is new category of clothing in CAS (underwear). Or has it been before? Maybe it has something to do with one of kits and THIS is what makes it unique?

I don't know if the underwear category is new but I am glad that we are getting a kit so we can have more than the base game versions.
    navyshades wrote: »
    I just really want a pack that doesn't feel like a "one and done" situation. Expansion packs have generally been better in this sense than game packs, but when I look at recent EPs, they're increasingly falling into this pattern as well. eg. Snowy Escape... I sent my sims on a holiday, did all the things, and now it doesn't feel like there's a reason to go back and do it again. Same with High School Years. Most of the game packs are like this where there's a set objective/storyline to follow and then once you've done it once it doesn't really add to ongoing gameplay. The only game packs that really breaks this mould is Parenthood, which is one of my favourites, and perhaps occult packs since they can enhance everyday playing if you're into that (which I'm not particularly).

I just really hope that whatever we get in this EP translates well to all my save files/families and enhances gameplay in dynamic ways, rather than forcing the player down a predetermined route that doesn't offer much replay value. Some of the best additions in recent packs have been new systems such as memories, likes/dislikes, scenarios, etc. because they add depth and richness to gameplay without being prescriptive. I want to see more features like this.

For a Generations type pack, that could include a midlife crisis system, better family relationships with distinctive interactions, more complex/nuanced family dynamics, etc. One of my biggest gripes with the game in general that impacts gameplay constantly is the fact that all relationships except romantic ones are represented on a -100 to 100 friendship scale which is so simplistic. There's no differentiation between friendships, sibling relationships, etc. I would love to see a system where there might be strong familial love between siblings, but there is constant bickering and rivalry as well. Or friendships that fluctuate more quickly. Even if this was as simple as having some pop-ups like, "Your brother used your toothbrush. Gross! Do you a) punch him, b) talk it out, c) just buy a new toothbrush" and an accompanying moodlet that lasts a few in game days. Anything like that would help create more dynamic and realistic relationships.

One thing I'm sure we won't ever get but that I'd absolutely love would be selectable relationship traits (beyond just the automatic ones that are assigned like 'lovebirds'). There is already an existing system for automatic relationship traits, and there are individual character traits and lot traits, so why not relationship traits? Imagine having 2 kids in a household and being able to choose different relationship traits between the mother and those kids. Maybe the son is seen as the golden child but the relationship with the daughter is strained. That would then influence gameplay outcomes and would come with specific interactions/moodlets/etc. specific to that relationship. I would absolutely love some kind of system like this to add depth and realism, but like I said, I doubt we're going to get something like this unfortunately.

The relationship trait thing has like so much potential. On one hand, I can absolutely see that being used to cause more trauma to your sims/work out your own personal traumas through the relationships you create for your Sims. Especially if there's a "golden child" bc if they exist so too do the "black sheep" and "scapegoat", oftentimes as the same person. But it would make good storytelling. Can you imagine the Disney Princess Challenge if Cinderella actually was able to a real wicked stepmother? And had the trait that caused the stepmother to autonomously treat her poorly/cue up scenarios? That'd be intense.

Or on a more healed side, you could just more accurately depict relationships. Having siblings you love but don't like. Or ones you don't know that well bc they were born after your Sim moved out, so they aren't close in age or friendship, but love exists. Versus the ones who are siblings and best friends. Or become friends as adults.

Maybe we could finally get the game to recognize that you Can in fact have more than one best friend. Because the way you are friends is different depending on the person you're dealing with. And while you might be really good friends with like 2-20 other people; the only ones who are close enough to be called your best friends are these other 3 people that are in a whole different strata from the former.

And though I very much doubt they'll get this in the game any time soon, it would work so well with defining other types of relationships. If you could define the way you love, care, and feel affection for sims better in game, then that allows for easier definition of relationships that don't fit the standard. Like Polyamorous relationships, Queer Platonic relationships, Platonic life-partnerships, and any other dynamic that the game doesn't currently allow you to work with. Because labeling your Sim a player just so they can date 2 sims, and marry one of them isn't the best workaround. And rather reductive stereotyping. Especially since the requirements for that trait, if you complete it normally, require you to be a horrible romantic partner.

I really want polyamory in this. I swear, every time that I decide to just wait and see if the Sims team will get on that promised inclusion, and be patient, something happens and a new thing makes me hope.

Whether it's for the Pronouns to work better, and more options in the drop-down. Or, making a separate section in CAS for gender even if you leave the current top part of system as Birth Sex (preferably adding an option for intersex but I'm not an expert and they should probably talk to some intersex activists about the correct representation). To adding the rest of the sexual and romantic attraction options they promised; so that they can reflect a more accurate range for both and the complexities therein. And finally representation of disabilities in game. They've been working on adding ethnic/racial representation and added a bunch of pride flags. And that's great. But that doesn't mean there isn't more to hope for.

And the thing is family is a really fraught topic and theme in a lot of those things I mentioned. Familial ties are deep in Culture, affects how you are treated when you are disabled, how you are accepted if you are Queer, and Polyamory well you get the idea.

But I think currently the desire to, in the Sims, create a functional poly family is really strong (for me). With mods you used to be able to get some functionality. But between certain patches of the game, you can't anymore. You can date as many sims as you want if you have the "Player" trait. But you can only marry 1. You can cheat and have a gf/fiancé, that's cool. But try and have a functional relationship with everyone happy and together, or even just knowing about each other and the game causes issues. Random jealousy, ending relationships because you have too many, etc.

And then they created the "Loyal" trait as if in opposition to the previous one. You only love your partner. The one partner. And while it says you're loyal in All your relationships, it only lets you have the one romantic one. As if loyalty only exists in monogamy.

It's not a great message to send. The only kind of romantic style freedom you support is the messy kind where you don't care about your partner. But then might settle down. Or the kind where you are one and done for life. You can be Non-committal. You can be Flirty, Unflirty, or Loyal. But you can't be capable of being Loyal to more than one.

It'd be nice if this pack actually allowed for units that worked in ways different than the status quo.
    The person I quoted in the quote of what I wrote had an idea for defining relationships beyond Lovebirds, BFFS etc. That would work really well. It could let you define the relationships you are in. Whether you are monoamorous but in a Situationship with that guy who dates the Caliente sisters. Or you decided to become a Triad with the Landgrabs.
    Or just made a Sim and decided that they deserved love, and it turned out that instead of one Sim to be with until Grim came for them, it was 2. And they raise their kids together, and can afford all the bills bc they have a 3 person income household. Who knows?

But representation is really nice when you get it. And doesn't actually take anything away from anyone else to do so.
    A Montassori (is that what those are called?) kitchen for kids would be nice. You know the ones kids are using now that look like toy kitchens but work? With children's knives, sinks that empty into a water jug, a real mini-fridge, and a hot plate. So kids learn to cook. And they start with babies and it goes up.

That'd be super cute. I know there's a cc kitchen for children. But they could make one for toddlers, and one for kids. Maybe it could even be the same kitchen. But I think for toddlers it would increase motor, and creativity. Maybe even make a skill that's for simple meals/snacks.

Like how there's children only skills that carry over into corroborating adult skills, motor>fitness? Or they could make it a skill like bowling or flower arranging. And it only have a very specific set of recipes that work in that area. Which means, yes an adult could do it, but so could a kid.

Like how quick meals aren't a cooking skill thing. But also don't fill you up easily. Maybe have Snack making be in-between that. And then children/teens could give food to toddlers and babies. Like baby food could be in that category, unless it's homemade baby food or something like how we make the pet food.

Same with things like a cheese roll up that you make in the microwave. Working your way up to a quesadilla on the stove, a really simple one. The toddlers could learn to make a sandwich with pb&j or meat and cheese. And when they do it, it's really messy but edible. The kids do it and they've got a pretty okay sandwich but aren't great at cutting off crusts. Teens have it down pat.

It would also work if by the time they are teens the only thing they know how to make IS simple meals/snacks and quick meals that we have already. It goes with how sims work so much better. Maybe your older sister did all the cooking while your parents worked. So the most you had to do was make a bowl of cereal, or a sandwich. Now she moved out, and you have to learn to cook. Or maybe your parents cooked, and you moved out, and have no clue. And starting out all you make is the new sm/snacks or quick meals. Because you're afraid to burn the house down. Somehow the fear of waffles 🧇 has carried over into this universe. And your journey into the culinary arts starts with making instant ramen.

I think that'd be super cute and add a lot of gameplay, with just 1 item, and a new skill& set of recipes for that skill. And since we have cooking together from Cottage Living, that sometimes works, you could work with your child on the little kitchen. Keep them safe. And then help them over to the big kitchen once they are ready.
    KITS ARE CONFIRMED AND LAUNCHING 19TH OF JANUARY.
    This and it makes me think even more we are getting Infants today since they were first on the road map
  • Bren91Bren91 Posts: 298 Member
    Is the road map for the year or 6 months, maybe I’m wrong but I always thought there was two road maps or seasonal ones that were every four months or every six months? Is this road map a yearly road map or just for the season or half the year?
    Bren91 wrote: »
    Is the road map for the year or 6 months, maybe I’m wrong but I always thought there was two road maps or seasonal ones that were every four months or every six months? Is this road map a yearly road map or just for the season or half the year?

Usually they reveal around 3,4 roadmaps a year, which means one covers more or less 1/4 of year
    So it looks like kits are going to be first, despite being second on the roadmap
    This and it makes me think even more we are getting Infants today since they were first on the road map

Honestly I was so surprised by the kit announcement. I thought I'd wake up today, and by like 11 am there'd be news of the patch and infants. So I checked around 1pm, and yeah there was an announcement at 11 am. But it was kits.

We've known about the Skintimates one since the "leak". But I honestly thought the tooth/bathroom one was a gameplay one. With an obvious amount of a few objects that could be used as clutter. Because bathroom.

I was shocked to see that it's a clutter kit. But I do have hopes bc I noticed in the official cover for it, the sim in front is spraying a bottle of bathroom cleaner. And it's actually spraying. And the one in back is scrubbing the toilet. Though actually now that I think about it, when you do the "clean" option on counters or toilets these are the same animations. So maybe not.

Honestly I was so surprised by the kit announcement. I thought I'd wake up today, and by like 11 am there'd be news of the patch and infants. So I checked around 1pm, and yeah there was an announcement at 11 am. But it was kits.

We've known about the Skintimates one since the "leak". But I honestly thought the tooth/bathroom one was a gameplay one. With an obvious amount of a few objects that could be used as clutter. Because bathroom.

I was shocked to see that it's a clutter kit. But I do have hopes bc I noticed in the official cover for it, the sim in front is spraying a bottle of bathroom cleaner. And it's actually spraying. And the one in back is scrubbing the toilet. Though actually now that I think about it, when you do the "clean" option on counters or toilets these are the same animations. So maybe not.

We got a patch all right. Just no infants. I feel completely bamboozled. I mean yeah finally sims will stop talking about getting married after already being married. That was annoying. Or rather they'll stop talking about planning a wedding. Sigh I wanted infants. It's okay there are more Tuesdays.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    <snip>
    And then they created the "Loyal" trait as if in opposition to the previous one. You only love your partner. The one partner. And while it says you're loyal in All your relationships, it only lets you have the one romantic one. As if loyalty only exists in monogamy.
    </snip>

I agree about the Loyal trait. I did not explore it as much yet, but I'd expect it to concern more sorts of loyalty than in life partner(s). In my book you can be a loyal member of a club, and just a person wanting a stronger tie to most things in life, where loyalty equals to personal support.

I remember how baffed I was when I gave a large number of ts3 sims the Romantic trait, thinking they were dreamy, candle light sims liking old fashioned blouses and a rather traditional cottage life. Then the game turned them into woohoo-machines, and I felt they all suddenly became prostitutes because they wanted to woohoo most other sims. In my book Romantic had nothing to do with woohooing, but I guess EA and I will never agree, and I'm not in charge so I just stopped using that trait, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    In some cases, I think they use 'romantic' and 'flirty' as a bit of a euphemism for '🐸🐸🐸🐸'.
    <snip>
    </snip>

I agree about the Loyal trait. I did not explore it as much yet, but I'd expect it to concern more sorts of loyalty than in life partner(s). In my book you can be a loyal member of a club, and just a person wanting a stronger tie to most things in life, where loyalty equals to personal support.

I remember how baffed I was when I gave a large number of ts3 sims the Romantic trait, thinking they were dreamy, candle light sims liking old fashioned blouses and a rather traditional cottage life. Then the game turned them into woohoo-machines, and I felt they all suddenly became prostitutes because they wanted to woohoo most other sims. In my book Romantic had nothing to do with woohooing, but I guess EA and I will never agree, and I'm not in charge so I just stopped using that trait, LOL.

I definitely get that. I can't tell if I'm misremembering or if this is a mandela effect thing; but, didn't there used to be two different traits "Romantic" and "Flirty"? I thought it was in sims 4 myb it was a different one. But when they unveiled "Unflirty" I remember being so confused. Because for one, it kind of conflates aromatic traits and asexual traits together. But uses 'flirty' in the name. And by then we had romantic.
    For some reason I remember it being something like we used to have 'Flirty' sims who wanted smootches and woo-hoo, and 'Romantic' sims wanted like dates, and were cool with the other stuff, but were also a bit more on the charismatic side. And then in one of the trait refreshes they combined them. And we got a new icon.

But it's possible I'm getting it mixed up with another trait refresh. But I really think they used to be different. And picking one over the other resulted in different reactions from sims, and chances of success in romantic interactions. So it got combined so you didn't need both traits. But then when they did the opposite it still had flirty in the name.

Idk I've been playing this since it was released too many changes have gone on to fully remember everything.