Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Roadmap Infants, Kits, Expansion Pack My thoughts

LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
It seems like this season is about uniting all the old gameplay things we had with the things we don't, and have wanted for years.

Given the way that video presented things it looks like this to me:

1) We get infants. Finally babies we can interact with and bond with before they're toddlers (or children like the olden days).
2) We get the kits:
B ) Underwear. I'm thinking it's potty training or something. Very much "I'm a big kid now-esque". I can't imagine they need to give us a kit for underclothes for any other reason. Anyone who wants more just gets CC. They just made curseforge. And it has nothing to do with the "it's all relative" and "familiar" lines they had with the clip otherwise. If it was a t-shirt I'd think family reunion t-shirts but it was briefs. And right after infants.
C) Second kit hygiene pack. Seems odd by itself. Even with the others. Unless you think about all the broken up family stuff we've gotten over the years. Outdoor stuff, candy, teens with braces. We have no dentistry. All family, 'parenthood', etc stuff is broken apart and layered. So there are gaps. Sims don't even need to brush their teeth really. They can just shower.

But what about teaching your little one to brush? Flossing after a meal? Being able to tie it in with other game play things like the spaday refresh? If they end up doing a Get To Work Refresh this kit, if I'm right, could tie in well. Making Sims hygiene and health just a little more important. Not so much as to be a bother, but enough that you might think of it more. Others have already made additions along those lines. This could further that.

3) Then you get the Expansion pack with the "Odd Parents" looking Fairy bear. Someone in the comments of a video I saw thought it was like a "molar bear". I think that goes well with the kit. Whether that kit comes before or after the pack it would fit. Especially if that kit is tied to teaching children.

My guess is this pack is supposed to fill in the things that weren't with the game pack, stuff packs, kits, and bit we got with the high school years expansion. Probably to focus a bit on the children, who despite the insane amount of add-on content we have for them, don't have a ton of actual game play options. In addition to the Elders, who often feel like are counting down the days til they pass, and definitely the youngest ones.

That's probably why the theme is family reunion. Those have people of All ages. And heavily focus on the Elders and the very young. The young adults and adults tend to just help out, cook if they've been deemed good enough to assist. But really it's about those at the other ends. The kids having fun. The teens feeling too old to be there, too cool to play with their cousins, and too young to talk to the adults. And the elders passing down knowledge, gossip, and food. But the never the secret recipe.

They might throw the family reunion mechanic in there. They already made the cookout scenario. It likely won't work much better than weddings at this point. But it'll be cute. I think it's probably more of an essence thing at this point. The coming together of family. Hopefully:

1)The family tree will work
2) You can assign relationships outside of mother and father. Including stepfamily, aunts, siblings born after you moved out and had your own kids, & adopted parents. At the very least. And without having to go into CAS.
3) You can actually have extended families that act like they know each other as family. Grandparents who care about their grandkids. Not meeting them for the first time at YA, or child. Unless you actually wanted that. Maybe family an event for a visit after the birth that You can choose to start.

Basically making families feel like real families even if they aren't the one household you are focusing on. If you started with one Sim; made their parents after/already had their parents, and their parents and siblings live in a different house they should still know the main sim's kids. Without you having to drag an entire household over to introduce every single person to everyone else.

What do you all think will happen/the roadmap means? What do you hope for?
Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:

Comments

• LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I'm not sure why there's an emoji I didn't put one. Weird
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
    edited January 2023
    That's supposed to be "B )"
    I fixed it figure out why, I forgot we used to type out emoji and then they started turning those typed ones into face ones. I guess some of those still work.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    So infants update, the two kits they showed at the Sims summit it's the lady with the lingerie that's beige and a bathroom clutter kit expansion pack with the logo I'm lost and a stream on the 31st which is awesome.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Yes, the big update has to be infants and probably all the basic furniture and toys for them.

I don't have high expectations for the kits. One looks like an underwear kit. There was a picture in the Summit of a Sim wearing new underwear, so that's probably all we're getting. Hopefully it's for the entire family. Would be nice if it included some swimwear.

The second Kit looks like either a bathroom kit or personal hygiene. I'm thinking the dentures we saw during the Summit are probably included.

The expansion pack is the most mysterious. It looks to be family oriented and includes a new world based on San Francisco. Maybe we're getting a tooth beary? Based on the concept art, we will also get bikes for kids and backpacks for infants. Maybe trikes too? Hopefully family trees will be improved and we'll get a family reunion event. I'm hoping for tree houses and group games for kids. Hopefully something for all ages.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm guessing we will get active tooth development, dental health and decay. I imagine infants will grow in their first baby teeth, kids will lose their baby teeth and grow their adult teeth, some sims may need braces, and in the later stages of life elders may need to get dentures to replace any teeth they have lost. I also imagine brushing teeth and flossing will be important to keep up oral hygiene, and neglecting oral hygiene will result in cavities and potentially losing teeth.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    why a generation ep do the sims4 parenthood pack not fit this role?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    The kit logos are usually pretty obscure. We see a toothbrush and assume teeth, dentists etc, but if you look at the last two - pastel pop had a strawberry which was simply on the wallpaper, and clutter had a cup and an envelope that had people guessing at office.

There’s probably not too much a toothbrush can be but I’d guess maybe it’s a bathroom kit. Or it could be a gameplay kit and more hygiene management. Like consequence for not brushing teeth. But the expansion hints at a dentist too.

I think the underwear could be a swimsuit kit. Or maybe just underwear, perhaps they have a brand endorsement.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    The kit logos are usually pretty obscure. We see a toothbrush and assume teeth, dentists etc, but if you look at the last two - pastel pop had a strawberry which was simply on the wallpaper, and clutter had a cup and an envelope that had people guessing at office.

There’s probably not too much a toothbrush can be but I’d guess maybe it’s a bathroom kit. Or it could be a gameplay kit and more hygiene management. Like consequence for not brushing teeth. But the expansion hints at a dentist too.

I think the underwear could be a swimsuit kit. Or maybe just underwear, perhaps they have a brand endorsement.

Maybe the "toothpaste" is foot ointment, and it's a bunion kit.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    edited January 2023
    Does this mean something or am I just seeing things?

Screenshot-2023-01-10-at-22-48-05-Inicio-Twitter.png

It comes from this image

Screenshot-2023-01-10-at-22-47-48-Inicio-Twitter.png
  • JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    I'm curious but not getting my hopes up. I can't even imagine what the Expansion could be. Most of the guesses I've seen sound more like quality of life updates to me than full expansion features.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    why a generation ep do the sims4 parenthood pack not fit this role?

Two different themes. Parenthood was just about parenting not generations game play.
    JustinB113 wrote: »

It would be cool to get electric toothbrushes.
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 711 Member
    I'm a little confused about the infants update. They go from baby to toddler to kid and that's fine with me, what is the life stage going to be like ? I always thought we were missing pre teen because they go for 10 to 20 years old.
    Does this mean something or am I just seeing things?

It comes from this image

Screenshot-2023-01-10-at-22-47-48-Inicio-Twitter.png

Honestly I thought it was just a mouth until you went closer. And idk if this is just the kid who saw faces in the grains of wood in me, but it does kinda look like somebody in a suit or uniform. Like an old-timey milkman. But I think it's a mouth.
    telemwill wrote: »
    Yes, the big update has to be infants and probably all the basic furniture and toys for them.

I don't have high expectations for the kits. One looks like an underwear kit. There was a picture in the Summit of a Sim wearing new underwear, so that's probably all we're getting. Hopefully it's for the entire family. Would be nice if it included some swimwear.

The second Kit looks like either a bathroom kit or personal hygiene. I'm thinking the dentures we saw during the Summit are probably included.

The expansion pack is the most mysterious. It looks to be family oriented and includes a new world based on San Francisco. Maybe we're getting a tooth beary? Based on the concept art, we will also get bikes for kids and backpacks for infants. Maybe trikes too? Hopefully family trees will be improved and we'll get a family reunion event. I'm hoping for tree houses and group games for kids. Hopefully something for all ages.

I had completely forgotten about the dentures and Sims in underwear in that big event thing they did. I think I thought they released the dentures in that clutter kit. I didn't get it, 😕 I don't think I got it. I've been kind of completionist with the Sims 4 in the past. But there are some add-ons that do absolutely nothing for me. And clutter is one of them. I suck at building. So I didn't realize that those weren't already there.

If the underwear kit is about that overarching idea then I guess it does make sense for it to be in a roadmap. I'm still not sure what it has to do with family. Unless they do add them for all ages, and we've got like training diapers/underwear for toddlers. Like it just seems like an odd thing to stick in, when you're making a very clear themed plan if you're not gonna make it work with the theme.

Like hygiene can be made to be fit with family. Who teaches you about proper hygiene? Your family. Things like a tooth fairy make sense, bc we have these ideas. And they are linked to teaching about hygiene and growth, etc. Underwear could fall in that. You could have a toddler sim who refuses to out any on and now there's the gameplay of chasing your kid around to dress them, idk. Or it could be like I've seen others say, and ppl just wanted to have cuter options for their sims other than the default styles without CC or overrides. Which is fair. But still so weird to put in the context of a family reunion.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    Jokubas wrote: »
    I'm curious but not getting my hopes up. I can't even imagine what the Expansion could be. Most of the guesses I've seen sound more like quality of life updates to me than full expansion features.

I think most people think it will be generations and that was a big part of Sims 3 generations, features scattered across the whole game.

I think whatever this is might turn out to be a quality of life good to have in the background EP more like seasons and get together than some of the more focused ones. We shall see :)
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about the infants update. They go from baby to toddler to kid and that's fine with me, what is the life stage going to be like ? I always thought we were missing pre teen because they go for 10 to 20 years old.

Yeah I agree about there being a missing stage between child and teens. But honestly, I'll take both stages. I want the infants and the younger teens (Middle School Age).
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member

Like an old-timey milkman

I was trying to see what you see @LSM36 . I just didn't see it, until my mom point it out. LOL
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
    Goodywood wrote: »

Like an old-timey milkman

I was trying to see what you see @LSM36 . I just didn't see it, until my mom point it out. LOL

Honestly I probably wouldn't have seen a milkman in it if I hadn't gone through a phase as a kid thinking that they must've been super cool. I blame children's television in the 90s/early 00s. And all the reruns of old shows. I was very stuck on the concept of people's milk being delivered to their houses, and that being the reason for the weird grate outside my house. But also that it was like only milk. I found that so crazy.
    Goodywood wrote: »
    AlanSims wrote: »

Yeah I agree about there being a missing stage between child and teens. But honestly, I'll take both stages. I want the infants and the younger teens (Middle School Age).

The way I want preteens so bad. I think I just want Sims to age in a way that makes sense. Like Sims 3 teens really seemed more fleshed out bc they looked younger, had more to do, and seemed like they were actually growing into YA. But those in Sims 4, as if they are reflecting the youth of today, are skipping all the weird in-between phases. Which is odd. Even with the new pack addition, they're still just slightly smaller YA. No height slider, a wonky addition of fears/wants, and an odd feeling like you still missed some stage in their development somewhere. But still not as weird as when they went from baby to child. That was disconcerting.

I know it would mean having to deal with your Sims longer, bc we can't have custom life spans in this one, or if we can I've completely forgotten how to. But I'd really like to see at least Preteen added in too. And if possible some tuning in adults. Between Adult and Elder and more you can do in your Elderhood. This new EP honestly seems our best bet to get fixes like this, but we are only getting the one life stage fix.
    It's one of the most requested. But it's also been requested since the game came out. Even longer than asking for toddlers. Because we first realized the babies do nothing, then we aged them up and realized no toddlers. So both from day 1.
    At this rate they'll likely give us the other fixes only when the new generation of games is finished.
    People are thinking so much about what's to come, it's awesome. Someone I saw went off the idea of more family options in the drop-down of CAS, and was like "bf/gf"would be good. And it would. We had that in other games but not this one right? We just recently got fiance.

But what about "partner" and "spouse/life-partner"? Or even adding "platonic life-partner"? We're getting more lgbtqia+ rep in the game, slowly but surely. They haven't finished adding all the features in. And now they are doing a family round of packs and stuff. I think this would be a great time to start implementing some of the things they promised. So that you can reflect more types of families in game.

I liked that you could start sims off in relationships in the Sims 3. But the only relationship this game recognized for so long was marriage, in CAS. So even if you spent 2 hours making a pair of sims. They got into the world and didn't even know each other. And either you had to cheat, or spend the next few hours making them love each other. When you could've been doing other things. Like getting into the game. And if they were meant to already be engaged, even longer. Especially if their personalities were meant to be opposites that attracted, easier said that done at times.

I always found it weird what things they decided to keep out of the game, even after so many updates and years. But maybe we'll get more back in this pack. Even more than we've ever had before. That would be amazing. Isn't that what this game was supposed to be originally? A massive improvement? Not just an iteration that runs easier, or used to, on your average laptop. But a step up in all ways from the previous; while still letting you enjoy what came before, and having its essence?

I say all that to say, it'd be really cool if we got to have sims be partners/bf/gf from the get go. If "Platonic Life Partners" could be introduced along with "Spousec and maybe capital "P" "Partners", to go with 'Husband' and 'Wife'. If maybe they started working on those pronouns more in time for the family reunion so that even great-aunt Mildred can get them right (And so that she shows up properly in the family tree as a great-aunt). If gender dynamics are properly added to the game. I doubt they'd bring in poly at this point. But it'd be nice.

I think if we're talking familiar bonds, then we're also talking about the people who make up those families, and the various types of bonds that can exist.
    And what they do with this, especially if it really does work in the background tying together the things they've already made, done, and said they would do. It would make a great base point for future change in the game. And for the next generation of games.
  • mollie1998mollie1998 Posts: 446 Member
    I would like a dentist expansion pack for the sims 4 please
  • Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 692 Member
    I think the dentures might mean more gameplay for seniors. Or maybe sims will go through all the lifestages of teeth from teething to loose teeth to wisdom teeth removal to dentures.

I find the reality of CC to be different than the theory of CC. Right now, I restarted my game with no CC and what I miss most is CC and mods underwear options. I really hope we are getting an underwear pack that includes the option to change the default underwear.
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    I'm hoping the dentures means Sims can lose their teeth! Elder Sims with no teeth would be perfect.

More teeth options, losing teeth, teething infants or toddlers. Hockey accidents and having missing teeth due to injuries. Along with werewolves scars I could make my Sims look roughed up.

I like the idea that the roadmap is cartoony and the mascot in each photo are cartoony and there's a kid sitting under the tree. Seems like it will be very child focused which is awesome.

I'm pretty excited for an underwear kit.

I like how Sam Sequoia means tree and a large tree at that. I hope this will have some intergenerational story telling and social interactions like learn about ancestors. I hope there are some representation of Indigenous Sims.

I don't care about the Community Stream and I wish they'd stop hyping that stuff. It's like a commercial for a commercial.
    I wonder if were going to see the Sims 1 Objects that were in the music trailer in the Upcoming Expansion Pack.

Vibrating Heart Bed
    Bear Rug
    Long Aquarium that is facing up towards the ceiling
    Wall Lights