Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Rene: Base Game Content vs Pack Content

2...Next

Comments

• SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Yes, ideally everything would have an on/off toggle. I fully admit that I'm unusual, and that I get overwhelmed by games that are too "big." I'm having trouble enjoying the new Pokemon games because they're open world. I dislike open world and prefer story progression to be more obvious and linear.

I don't expect the Sims team to cater to my needs. I understand that, in the end, they will go with what's profitable. I'm just sharing my opinion like everyone else. I would feel like something was amiss if I didn't even try.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited January 2023
    JAL wrote: »
    @honeywitch I think it is sad, and quite depressing, that we find a reasonable sized basegame to be unrealistic and that we are so used to poor performing games that large=bad quality and lack of depth. I have to say I haven't encountered that anywhere else than here with sims or pehaps EA (this is the only EA game I play). Most games I play are big, and get bigger with every new game, and if a game has poor performance, people do not buy it, but wait for the next one. It's incredibly depressing to see that so many of us are willing to accept that bugs, poor performance, lagging issues and lack of depth is a state of normal, and while we complain, we still buy everything they churn out. No wonder EA doesn't need to focus on quality and depth and a rich contet. We'll buy scraps apparently.

These are exactly my thoughts, it's so strange to see the sims community instinctively settling and expecting less.

Regardless, my main point that I was trying to make with this thread is the developers can make a fairly substantial base game, with things like seasons and pets, and STILL make dlc that's themed around seasons and pets. They can stick with their formula of reselling popular themes even with the themes already present in the base game.

And as others have mentioned, with optional toggles to turn certain features on or off would solve the whole "pick and choose" argument some are making in favour of buyable dlc. Just because the features are in the game doesn't mean you as a player have to use them. The point of having all these features to begin with is to give players options and variety to suit their gameplay style, whatever gameplay style that may be. I own a sizable amount of packs for Sims 4 but I pick and choose what content I want to use or ignore.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    JAL wrote: »
    @honeywitch I think it is sad, and quite depressing, that we find a reasonable sized basegame to be unrealistic and that we are so used to poor performing games that large=bad quality and lack of depth. I have to say I haven't encountered that anywhere else than here with sims or pehaps EA (this is the only EA game I play). Most games I play are big, and get bigger with every new game, and if a game has poor performance, people do not buy it, but wait for the next one. It's incredibly depressing to see that so many of us are willing to accept that bugs, poor performance, lagging issues and lack of depth is a state of normal, and while we complain, we still buy everything they churn out. No wonder EA doesn't need to focus on quality and depth and a rich contet. We'll buy scraps apparently.

These are exactly my thoughts, it's so strange to see the sims community instinctively settling and expecting less.

Regardless, my main point that I was trying to make with this thread is the developers can make a fairly substantial base game, with things like seasons and pets, and STILL make dlc that's themed around seasons and pets. They can stick with their formula of reselling popular themes even with the themes already present in the base game.

And as others have mentioned, with optional toggles to turn certain features on or off would solve the whole "pick and choose" argument some are making in favour of buyable dlc. Just because the features are in the game doesn't mean you as a player have to use them. The point of having all these features to begin with is to give players options and variety to suit their gameplay style, whatever gameplay style that may be. I own a sizable amount of packs for Sims 4 but I pick and choose what content I want to use or ignore.

I like the pick and choose options you suggest. Hopefully the next iteration will have the option to decline free stuff. I’ve got rows and rows of CAS and build items I will never use. 😭

Although if Seasons and Pets were included in the base game I wouldn’t purchase any additional DLC for them. I would myself disable most weather, it’s nice to have sunshine.

I don’t own many packs but the ones I have purchased I’m happy with. One major issue is that to download things off the gallery and have them as is, you do need most packs. The pack filter option doesn’t work 😫.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • HarleyQuinn32HarleyQuinn32 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @logion said:
    > The challenge will be to find a way that they can have a base game that is offering a good set of features while leaving room for future DLC.
    >
    > I think they should strive to offer a wide range of basic features and then future DLC can expand upon those features, like offering new ways to play and create with those features. This will give them more options when making DLC and new worlds.
    >
    > The game should offer better management features too like for example offer ways for the player to assign roles to sims and controlling them more easily so they could make future DLC like Restaurants and Hotels play better.

I really hope you guys bring back some stuff from the sims 3 but more improved I hope as n pray u guys bring back were u can select different lot sizes I hate that the sims 4 don't got it I really enjoy building my own whole town being able to choose between if u want mountains an a lake or ocean side I miss being able to choose what land design u want ur world to be an ur own lot sizes. Ur biggest fan tay.
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    I think this is going to be a big undertaking. As much as I'd like for all the features of specific packs to roll into base game (like Seasons and Pets), those have always been expansion packs so I doubt they'll undo everything they've done in previous versions of the game for the Sims 5/Project Rene. The Base Game has always been a teaser; small changes to graphics or the UI, maybe different look for the Sims overall, but it isn't going to come fully loaded. As a player, it's up to us to choose what DLC we want to purchase and how we want to express our creativity in the Sims.

However, I'd like some base game features that they ended up patching into the Sims 4 to be a part of the base game in the Sims 5/Project Rene. I'd like the infants and toddler life stages, basic body hair, pronoun and romantic attraction (similar to the Sims 2 where they can like certain physical characteristics or job types), likes/dislikes (just based on color, music, food, and maybe skills), a calendar system to see birthdays, work days, holidays, and schedule events, bunk beds, a couple after school activities for teens and children, being able to lay in bed to read or watch TV, scooting across a double bed, random calls on the cell phone, etc.

I agree with the option to toggle features on/off should be a given for every new feature in the game as they don't always make sense for every save. I like that werewolves can be regulated to the world that came with the pack so I don't see werewolf sims in every town. They should also allow a toggle for fears/wants/whims, weather, celebrities, etc (if those are a part of Project Rene in base game or from DLC).

Of course, base game features should be considered and sometimes updated with each additional DLC; so far example, likes and dislikes could be updated to include weather preferences when Seasons is added to Project Rene or after school activities can add one more variety if there's a generations or school expansion pack. I want Project Rene to have more cross-pack compatibility and features to continue to grow as the game grows. Concepts/features shouldn't be a one and done, especially when certain theme continue to build across DLC. They really dropped the ball for TS4 HSY EP because it didn't work smoothly along with Parenthood; the discipline system should have had some overlap like grounding teens for missing school or dropping out but it didn't.