Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gap between new packs is too short or too long!

Hello Simmers,

let's start in 2021: We had a SP, a GP and one of the best EPs (Cottage Living) that year. That was from January until July and there was no other content for the rest of the year.

2022: There was two GPs and one EP. The time frame was: late February until late July and there was no other content for the rest of the year again!

Why? Why has there been no new content from August until December? After 2022 already had a GP (wedding) they could have easily moved the release of the second GP (werewolves) into fall. I just do not understand their schedule. I can only speak for myself. But I am totally bored with The Sims 4 at the moment. There is no new content to explore, there is no rumor to talk about...

What's your opinion? Would you like the releases to be more balanced?
I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS

Comments

• EleriEleri Posts: 545 Member
    I would definitely appreciate them more spread out. I recently bought the Werewolves pack and I honestly think it gives 2022 a reason to exist. Unfortunately, it didn't get enough time to breathe or build a strong buzz. High School Years came out right afterward and the community forgot about Werewolves. Wouldn't a near-Halloween release for werewolves have been amazing?
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2023
    Yes, Werewolves and High School Years was released very close to each other and after that we did not really get much content for the rest of the year.

We did get some kits and base game updates but several of the base game updates also felt rushed and not tested enough and on top of that there were bugs like not allowing us to turn off wants and fears so it feels like everything could have benefited from not getting pushed out so early.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I think Expansion Packs should be more often & Kits seldom.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited January 2023
    I completely agree that a more balanced release schedule would have been better. Werewolves deserved better than to be pushed aside the way it was. Just as an example : the screenshots thread of werewolves wasn't allowed to be pinned at the top of the forum when high school years came out, no overlap at all. In contrast the screen shots thread of the first fits kit is still pinned at the top of the pack discussion today, 4 months after release, despite newer kits one of which was given for free to everyone.

The rushed release in summer combined with the large gap we are experiencing now makes absolutely no sense. Kits just don't have enough content to fill this drought. In fact kits do not have content at all, they are just filler.
    Erja888 wrote: »
    Why? Why has there been no new content from August until December? After 2022 already had a GP (wedding) they could have easily moved the release of the second GP (werewolves) into fall.

I think high school years should have been pushed back, not werewolves. The reason : werewolves is the only DLC that actually worked as intended on release. High school years could have used a bit more polishing to be at least a bit less buggy.

I hope next year has a more balanced release schedule with more attention to bug free gameplay. And I wouldn't mind if kits were replaced by stuff packs again. I really miss stuff packs.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I think Expansion Packs should be more often & Kits seldom.
    Perfectly said. Nothing to add here.

Atreya33 wrote: »
    I think high school years should have been pushed back, not werewolves. The reason : werewolves is the only DLC that actually worked as intended on release. High school years could have used a bit more polishing to be at least a bit less buggy.
    I agree completely, plus there was enough time (over three months) between the two GPs of 2022, but less than two months between Werewolves and High School Years. The new school year always starts in September here in Germany anyway, and as far as I know, other Western countries have similar timetables, so a release date in early autumn might have been more fitting. Or maybe another big DLC was in the works to be released near the end of the year, but had to be pushed back for some reason, who knows.

Honestly, though, it's quality over quantity for me. I wouldn't mind occasional droughts if it meant that the upcoming packs will be in better shape than what we've become used to. Unfortunately, the release of My Buggy Wedding Stories after seven months of no proper content proves that a longer waiting period doesn't always lead to better quality.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    2022 was indeed the weakest year of the Sims franchise.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    I reckon kits sell better during the periods when there are no pack releases, also players tend to buy packs they might not have bought when they are bored. So from a marketing perspective, it all makes sense.

That doesn't mean we have to like it, though.

I personally never get bored with TS4, but there are some features pretty high on my wishlist that I'm dying to hear (more) about.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I reckon kits sell better during the periods when there are no pack releases, also players tend to buy packs they might not have bought when they are bored. So from a marketing perspective, it all makes sense.

That doesn't mean we have to like it, though.

I personally never get bored with TS4, but there are some features pretty high on my wishlist that I'm dying to hear (more) about.

So a content drought as a way to get players to buy things they would not have bought otherwise? Interesting theory. I just bought my first kit last week so I might have fallen for this business strategy. :o
  • EleriEleri Posts: 545 Member
    edited January 2023
    2022 was indeed the weakest year of the Sims franchise.

True. I have a challenge where each gen is a different year of content. I list which packs are essential from each year to have enough content to do the generational challenge. 2022 is the first year where you have to own more than one pack to get enough content!

In some of the previous years there's one essential pack (e.g. City Living for 2016), and in the others you actually have a choice of multiple packs. For example, you can do the 2017 gen if the only pack you own from that year is Cats and Dogs, or if the only pack is Vampires.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I don’t know for sure but I have two thoughts.

Covid - companies only really started getting over this properly in 2022 and it’s still not quite back to ‘normal’, people are coping with it better now. But so many people working from home over a long term is going to affect a games studio.

Kits - they are easier to make, count as content releases as far as shareholders are interested and probably work out more profitable. A lot of their target audience finds it easier to justify £5 than £10 or £20.

Honestly I like kits personally but I think it’s pretty obvious they’re taking the place of more substantial things.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    So much dead time with this game you get a couple game play packs close together with the rest of the year with no content at all and kits we use to at least get a few stuff packs a year that added to the game before the useless kits ended them.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I really miss Stuff Packs, actually. They contained a little bit of everything in a package that was affordable and reasonable. They were (generally) decent mini-themes that had something for everyone and were better at filling in the gap between the larger packs.
    #Team Occult
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Stopped buying after Cottage and will stay stopped until/unless EA cleans up its act, fixes the broken game - particularly the years old items, - and provides content that actually delivers on the promises. That said, am in full agreement with you all. It is becoming increasingly clear that not only are the players unvalued except as a revenue source (this has been true from the beginning) but that TS4 is a back burner game - hype notwithstanding. As mentioned elsewhere however long ago, Renee is everything, we get the scraps. Scraps that don't work properly and are poorly distributed as regards timing.