Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your collections?

Sul sul, everyone.

I thought it would be fun to try to collect as many snow globes, minerals, etc. as possible, but I want to do more with them than simply have them sit in my inventory. Do the shelves that are for sale in Build & Buy hold them, or do you have to resize them or use MOO to create a display?

How do you display your collections? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
Yevsas mairzeemo!

Comments

• Options
    LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    I usually don't have complete collections because after a while I forget about what I was doing, but at one point, I do remember having a very outdoorsy sim that was collecting minerals. I built them a shed near the garden. Along the top of the walls, I placed several shelves so that they basically made a circle that went around the entire room. I believe it was the simplest little shelf in Build/Buy (it was the one that doesn't have any embellishments on the ends, because I had several of them right up next to each other and I wanted them to look like one continuous piece of wood as much as possible). They were high enough that I could put the flower arranging table/other garden-related objects underneath them and have a functioning shed. I never used MOO or resized anything.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I play rotationally so it depends on the sim. Some of them keep certain things, like snow globes, others might keep other things to display or use. I use shelves and tables to display them. Some things won't fit on shelves but a lot of collectibles do.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I just display my household's collections in the basement. On tables, shelving, etc. Pictures, like experimental foods, are on the wall.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited December 2022
    Yes, the shelves will at least hold the snow globes and dolls. Maybe the largest crystals need more space.

If you are fine with cc, there are good display objects over at modthesims (by TheJim007, based on those we had in TS3. I could not make a link, but you can search for "Display Cases & Pedestals from TS3".

You could assign a community lot to a collectors club, then if several households collect similar stuff, they could add their collections there.
    Or, you could "donate" a full collection to a Museum, perhaps add a photo of the sim donating it, and then all can go there to admire the items. You would need to imagine the story/process, but I don't think you will need cheats to make it work.

If you have Cottage Living, perhaps collected items can be used for those friendly neighbor gifts.

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @Larrikateven @RedShoe7 @simgirl1010 @Simmerville
    Thank you for your wonderful suggestions!

Fish can be mounted and hung on the wall, so those are easy. Snow globes are definitely on the list of things my Sims will collect, and if they fit on standard shelves, that would be wonderful. The minerals are pretty, too, so even if they require special shelving, I'll be willing to see what will work for them.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    My sims only put some favorite pieces on display, the rest I store in chests or basement/attic.

But now I wonder if crystals, geodes and maybe also metals could get integrated into the landscaping. Doesn't have to be a full rock garden made of crystals, just a piece here and another one there. Or maybe sort your exhibitions not strictly by collection, but by other criteria, like color. You'd still have your main collection in its dedicated corner, but also, for example, a selvadoradan idol with a green gem inside next to green crystals on an end table in the living room.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    Akira Kibo in my San Myshuno game has a little bit of a hoarding problem collecting bug. Here's the main collecting area. His very patient wife and roommate are making this work in an apartment with 4 small children.
    move-collectible-room.png
    move-collectible-room-2.png

Their dining room wall is also papered with his poster collection. Almost complete.... almost....
    scold-for-potty-refusal.png
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited December 2022
    yeah if i bother to collect collectibles i mostly display them somewhere in my sims home but I find it frustrating trying to find tables/shelves that work for that purpose so I often end up having to moo something up myself

stacking dining tables, using platforms and walls to make it look built in shelf is probably the way i do most actual collection rooms
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited December 2022
    The gems have an item in BB where you could place the cut version. I forget the word, I have never actually collected them but you send them out via the mailbox or if you’re lucky you’ll find one after thunder strikes the ground. You can place them inside it to be displayed.
    Edit: I was confusing the gems with the element crystals, my bad.
    https://sims-online.com/sims-4-elements-collection-guide/
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't usually keep the collectibles my sims find. I use some to decorate their house, but most of them I sell off as there isn't always enough space to display an entire collection let alone several. I did keep the bottles one of my sims found on the beach in Tartosa and made a feature wall in his kitchen out of them, but otherwise it is just one or two items of one collection and such. I have an experimental food restaurant and decided that whoever is going to eat there will take pics of their food and then put one up on the restaurant walls. And I have another restaurant with aquariums that I would ideally like to stock with different types of fishes some day, but I don't fish often enough and when I do the fish usually ends up in a dish. :) The things I find in Selvadorada go in the Selvadora museum, well at least some of it, as I needed to sell some off to fund further expeditions.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt Your idea about using the crystals as landscaping elements is a really good one.

The shelves I found look like the ones @mightysprite has in Akira's place. The one with the square compartments looks like it takes up an entire wall. I like that, but our Sims are living in smaller homes right now, so unless I resize everything, there's no room to fit something like that in their houses. I'm not sure I'm a good enough builder to create shelving like @Simmingal mentioned; I'm that bad at it. :)

The Sim that collects the most avidly is working on a snow globe collection. At least they're fairly small. The Elements might be even more fun to collect...thanks for the suggestion, @SelinaKyles. There's even a display case, especially for them, in BB.

I also didn't think about the bottles from Tartosa, @crocobaura. It's beginning to look like all our favorite households will have something unique to collect.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    edited December 2022
    Hi @MoonlightGraham it is this one
    Screen-Shot-2022-12-30-at-1-46-38-PM.png

I like them because they are only one tile, and they're modular, so you can stick together as many as you want in whatever shape you want.
    And they take the larger slot of item, not just the stuff that goes on the littler shelves. If it will fit on a dining table it will fit in this.

I think the one next to it, from the High School Years pack, works the same way, in case you have one pack but not the other.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I would shrink each item down so as to fit more in less space and use a mod that adds more slots to things so as to increase storage options. The suggestions others have made are great. It's too bad the game itself doesn't accommodate the collections it encourages, on its own.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I usually only collect items to sell them afterwards. I haven't done the collection-specific aspiration for a long time.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I tend to just throw it all in a chest unless I particularly like an item or have a sim that might display something.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    My sims don't do collections, to complete them, just to sell the common stuff and keep and display the rare stuff. Really makes the decor rating go up. I had a sim open a museum with all his stuff from excavating, but lost it in the big bork.

I love the fishing, so I have done the fish collection and am in the process of doing it again. Easiest one in my opinion, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    At the moment my sims are moving around doing different packs and expansions. I will have the collections from that pack on display and everything else just in household storage.

Right now I have the snowy escape collections on display in my kitchen and everything else in storage.
    39-AAF674-9-C48-41-BF-8-A20-DB8408-A00-A55.jpg
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I have a huge collections room hidden by the bookcase "door" in my house!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990