Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Downloading the EA App... should I be scared?

So it looks like this EA App has officially taken over, because I no longer have the option to purchase any packs from Origin?? I was going treat myself a little tonight for the pre-Black Friday sales, but I guess that's a no-go until I break down and finally download this app -_-

I heard a couple horror stories from the beta-testers, so I held off. I guess to anyone who HAS downloaded it, did you're mods/CC/ game data transfer okay? Or do I need to start the backup process now because it's going to take my PC a good 24 hours lol. I've been trying to search around for answers but I haven't found anything on whether any data gets overwritten, which I guess is a good thing. But I just wanted to make sure before I start breaking everything, lol... thanks in advance!!! :)

In Simlish, we don't say "I love you." We say "Habadu Bashubi", which roughly translates to "I can't move because there is furniture in my way." I think that's absolutely beautiful.• ORIGIN ID: ashleyrosey06 •Ts2 is superior... change my mind ;)

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2022
    I am using the EA app, if you are worried about anything in your game (saves, mods, etc.) just save a copy the folder to another area on your computer. I never had any problems when I switched over. One thing I did notice, and it is not a big deal, but might scare you if you don't know.

When I first installed the EA app, it will automatically uninstall your Origin app. The Origin app was created by EA and will be completely gone here pretty soon, I can't recall the exact date.

After you install your game (I think the app will automatically do that), you might notice some of the packs that you have already purchased will show up as if you had never bought them. Do not worry about this, it is just taking some time for the EA app to download all your information about your purchased games and packs.

The second thing that might alarm you, is after an update always exit out of your EA app, and reload it again. For some odd reason, and from time to time you will want to load your game, only for it to say you don't have a certain pack. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times, just don't load your game till it gets sorted.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I had to repair my game after I installed the app. Also it's a little bit slower, like tonight when I opened it, the installed games section was empty but then it showed my installed games.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I have no idea why EA feels the need to change launchers, I remember the nightmare that was called the EA Launcher. Boy oh boy what fun we had with that one. I'm just a little gun shy so I won't be downloading the new app until they hold a gun to my head, lol. :D

Thanks for the link simgirl! It's now registered in my favorites list.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I had trouble with it a couple of weeks ago but it seems to be working fine for me now. My games and DLC transferred over just fine.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

@ashleyrosey06 Other than having to go through all the settings again, like if you want updates automatic or not, able to get play requests or not, advertising while in-game or not, etc etc...
    Seems to be the same as before. But yes I have noticed it takes longer to load things like the gallery. Probably has more "push" streaming that takes up more computing resources.

But again, didn't break my game. Didn't have to do a repair either. And I do use CC and mods.

Still, should backup saves at least anyways.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I like the EA ap much better than Orijin.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I like the EA ap much better than Orijin.

Honestly, I was skeptical at first, but yeah, I have to agree with you on that so far.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Yesterday I installed the sims 4 on a new computer. The installation itself went horribly. The EA app crashed, followed by the computer crashing. After booting up again I found the sims shortcut ready on my desktop. I opened the game and most of the DLC was missing. Turns out it was still installing in the background while the game was running. Eventually the game works as expected. Even the cottage living preorder objects are there as they should, even if I don't see them mentioned in the EA app. The game runs fine, better than on my previous pc.

So for sims 4 no complaints. Next week I will see if sims 2, 3 and medieval work. The sims 2 icon says deluxe edition instead of ultimate collection so that might be a problem.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @Atreya33 I have Sims2 UC installed on app. It shows it as the deluxe edition but its Ultimate in the properties. I think it's just something they have to update. Probably because old game. Note I run the game with no problems through the app.

ToBqjPE.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @Atreya33 I have Sims2 UC installed on app. It shows it as the deluxe edition but its Ultimate in the properties. I think it's just something they have to update. Probably because old game. Note I run the game with no problems through the app.

ToBqjPE.png

Thank you for the screenshot. I will check next time I can get to my pc
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hm... today the "Origin closing later this year - get the App..." text is no longer showing on top of my screen... I did not yet get the App. Was the switch postponed?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member
    Hm... today the "Origin closing later this year - get the App..." text is no longer showing on top of my screen... I did not yet get the App. Was the switch postponed?

@Simmerville In another recent thread about the EA App, I noticed EA Cade said the mandatory switch is on-hold for now. They are asking Simmers to report their issues.
  • AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member

So I went back and found the thread where it was mentioned it's no longer mandatory to switch at this time. It's the "Ea app required now?" thread, and EA Cade gave an update on the status of the switch on Dec 16. Sorry that I don't know how to quote a comment from a separate thread into this thread, but if you do a search of the forum you can find the thread / comment.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    AalyahReed wrote: »

So I went back and found the thread where it was mentioned it's no longer mandatory to switch at this time. It's the "Ea app required now?" thread, and EA Cade gave an update on the status of the switch on Dec 16. Sorry that I don't know how to quote a comment from a separate thread into this thread, but if you do a search of the forum you can find the thread / comment.

Thanks! But I caught the news that the App was put on hold for now, so I expect we won't be forced until January the earliest. It's probably a mix of some tricky feedback needing to be ironed out, and the staff not having much time to address those bugs during the Holidays. I know most simmers have no problems with the app, so I'll take it when I must, but I'm glad that I might be able to complete my ongoing The Bagged Talent shows before running into potential problems. :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    EA app the few problems I had (still no know why happened)
    1 - Cant install from admin account
    2 - If you had games and reintalled windows and the app (games/library at other drive different than C) when say to EA app where is your download folder, on games over 10 GB it download them again