Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Important - how do you pronounce 'Live mode'

What is your opinion on (in my opinion) the universal question, of how do you pronounce 'live mode'

Important - how do you pronounce 'Live mode' 189 votes

Live - as in 'alive'
68%
ehaught58EvvieSimmericmnfrshLeGardePourpreGalacticGalNighteyeslaurastalRflong7AlexaiAyradysslisamwittGoodywoodsuetoopdanacnbrettSimpatsyannLesejbTnT_TerryKelleygirlshadyladynzmcrudd 129 votes
Live - as in 'live, laugh, love'
27%
simjenn2004LilZairaGracedzidziak86PlayerSinger2010SimsILikeSimsMonaSolstraaleelanorbretonsimgirl1010MagdaleenaKulthero777skybird14taydevduhboy2u2ClassicalSimbixtersSweetieWright_84rebjrsannaliese39CAPTAIN_NXR7AngelEb95 52 votes
both - this is the wrong answer
4%
xoJessiSimburianbluelightingDragonAge_300905FurAndYarnDuskregnSERVERFRASimSoon 8 votes

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I say "Live" - (rhymes with Hive" mode, as in you're Live and On the Air. Like you are the director of a movie production. I play characters and tell their story, I don't play simself, so I don't "live" in the game.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I say "Live" - (rhymes with Hive" mode, as in you're Live and On the Air. Like you are the director of a movie production. I play characters and tell their story, I don't play simself, so I don't "live" in the game.

That's my reasoning, too. "I'm done arranging the set, we're going live in three, two, one... now!"
  • cholesterolcholesterol Posts: 21 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live like alive. Everything else just sounds so wrong to me.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    If you pause or fast forward live tv, is it live anymore?

I agree with “you live in live mode”. Your sim is living their life wether you are directing some kinda story or not 🤷‍♂️
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    "Going Live in Five!"
  • EsReverniDrawrofEsReverniDrawrof Posts: 30 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live: give vs. live:five, has been about as annoying as .gif, like gift vs. .gif like jif. It's live like five. I agree with @cholesterol, everything else sounds wrong.( oh, and it's .gif like gift).
    Funny thing is unless I'm participating in a discussion like this I never give it a second though. It's not like every time I exit build mode or CAS I'm thinking "ok time to return to live mode." 😄
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Love Dave, but until I see his Linguistics degree I'm pronouncing it "(a)Live Mode".

Lol. 😄
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    The real question is, why didn't they put this in the GeekCon conversation options? Debating gif pronunciation is in there. Along with 1000 ant sized bears vs 1 bear sized ant or whatever.
    gen3-banner.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »

Oh man, this is like when the inventor of the GIF said it was pronounced like JIF.

Love Dave, but until I see his Linguistics degree I'm pronouncing it "(a)Live Mode".

This is the hill I die on 😤

That’s the hill I live on. “Live” as in GIF / JIF.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'

I go by proper English grammar/usage. In this context, live rhyming with alive & hive. They are two different words, thus the two different pronunciations.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I pronounce it (a)"live" mode, but I think all of the gurus say "live"(love,etc) mode, so I reckon I pronounce it wrong and just stick to it from habit.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live as in alive. I don't 'live' as any sim, I don't 'live' in or with the sims, so saying 'live' (as in give) mode makes zero sense to me personally. :)
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I never considered it the other way... but that's made me think.
    It being called "live" (as in laugh love) makes a LOT of sense to me now - but that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to change what it is in my head - i've been playing since 2006! I can't kick the habit now.
    s54gWQ5.png
  • CatSimerCatSimer Posts: 16 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I say live as in 'alive', because it's similar to life, and I'm controlling my sims life :)
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,648 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I've always thought of it as live as in live tv. That's how I see my sim worlds and stories, little tv shows.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live as in five, not live as in give. Been that way since Sims 1, not gonna change it now lmao. Live (give) makes zero sense, grammatically speaking and otherwise - when we play, we are playing in live (five) mode, as the sims are doing their thing - they live (give) in a house, not on my screen! Pretty sure it was pronounced live (five) back then too, not this new live (give) thing. But that's a long time for me to remember back to lol.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Wow. I didn't know this was a thing. I have always pronounced it similar to "hive". Kind of like live tv. I press live and the sims become alive.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited January 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I pronounce it as in “alive”, although I can admit that the other pronunciation makes more sense with build mode, lol.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live like hive. I click the button and my sims come alive. I don't live with them, but they are alive when I play.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I can see it being either one, but I always pronounce it the same as it is in alive.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    In my native language “live mode” is translated to “mode of life”, so yeah, I agree with Ninja. You build in build mode and live in live mode. :)
  • Velvet_LiliesVelvet_Lilies Posts: 56 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I say live as in alive cause it's like a livestream. When you pause or increase the speed it's not live anymore but you can switch it back to "live" as in real time. I'm not an english speaker though so I probably said "live (laugh love)" in the past (as a kiddo) before hearing let's players say it the other way and taking it in lol, so I'm probably not an authority on the matter
    na3uewksu9ny.png
    My Tumblr • • • My first story: "The New Kid" ←
    • • • • •