Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Perfect Genetics Challenge

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Over the past few days I've been working on the townie population of Moonlight Falls. I've moved a heap of them out to Mountain Lake and listed them in my spreadsheet and also cleaned out their overstuffed inventories.
    Then I returned to Moonlight Falls and worked my way through the townie population there. I added them all to my spreadsheet and emptied their inventories. I see a couple of them need to be moved to Mountain Lake at some stage as they have become involved with a sim I moved there already and I may as well give them a chance of continuing with their newly established relationships.

Then I went back to my main household. I still had big problems there. Crashing. Too many sims. Error 12.

I aged up Percy and his Imaginary Friend made real, Pat. I moved them to Mountain Lake. They were teens. They were the last teens in the household. Since Cindy had twins I had to move two sims out to have any chance of playing the household.

The next thing I did was age up Martin and his Imaginary Friend made real, Bart. They are now teens. I still need to give them a new wardrobe. I like Bart's new look. I often wonder what they will look like after I give them such huge overhauls of their facial features when they are children. He seems to have turned out OK, but I haven't had a close look yet. Martin is just a teenaged alien.

I aged up Cindy's twins and can confirm we now have the heir for Generation 3.

Donna was the first twin born and she is the heir.
    Donna.jpg

Donna1.jpg

Her sister has the required eye colour but her hair is not right for her to be the heir.
    Debbie.jpg

Debbie1.jpg

This is Bart aged up to teen. Up close his eyes seem very small but he looks good from a distance so I won't take him into CAS and operate on his eyes.
    Bart1.jpg

Bart2.jpg

Bart3.jpg

And finally, Martin aged up to teen. He is the first alien born to this household and he is Don's alien son.
    Martin1.jpg

I recorded part of birthday parties for both Martin and Bart but it crashed when the University Mascot turned up each time.

Fortunately I have the video recorded so I can show what I have of their birthday celebrations.

After one of the Error 12 experiences I noticed Denise had lost her Imaginary Friend doll.

The twins still hadn't received their dolls and I'd already aged them up to toddler. I have the setting for babies to receive a doll set to100% of the time. I wondered if the fact that I'd gone off to work on the townies as soon as they were born may have messed up the doll delivery sequence. I was surprised though, to see some of the townies had recently had babies and those babies had received dolls.

Anyway, when I got back to the main household things were not very secure. I emptied their inventories and saved. But I could do only one save for each time I launched the game.

I decided to reset the lot after the two crashes on the arrival of the University Mascot. I had already decided to do that before shutting down last night but had failed carrying out that step.

After resetting the lot (using Master Controller) the household seemed more secure. I found lots of stuff in the family inventory and emptied that. Denice's doll was in the household inventory so she got that back.

Then I reset the entire town. This made things better. Then suddenly the imaginary friend dolls for the new twins turned up in the mail. So all is good.

I saved. No crash. No error 12 but I did need to restart the game to free up some memory. I gave Martin and Bart their makeovers. Now I am ready to play on and start work on the next video. I'll be aging Martin and Bart out soon but will age up more of Don's alien children first.

That's it for now.

Happy Simming All.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,008 Member
    edited December 2022
    @Karritz Sorry it's taken me so long to watch your latest videos. I'm behind in several things because of the holidays. I haven't been playing Sims very often either. I wish I had more time to do everything I love to do!

Perfect Genetics Gen 2, Episode 3
    Fun scenes with the quad babies, twins, and single! Wow. Home birth and hospital. (I like Donna's hair. Very pretty.) So many toddlers. Then another set of twins. I think I lost count. LOL ...I like the variety of fairy wing colors and shapes. ...Good thing the toddlers all aged up quickly.

Perfect Genetics Gen 2, Episode 4
    I like the homes that these sims live in. Cool that they're neighbors. It's great that you spend enough time with all these sims to make sure they have skills, giving them a good start in life. They seem to stay happy most of the time too, even with so many for you to manage. The trick seems to be giving them enough objects to keep them busy. ...Enjoyed seeing the different children's CAS outfits. ...Crazy zombies! ...Your genetics playthroughs have so many different types of sims. They're fun to watch. ...And now another set of twins is born!
    @lanlyn I thought you might have been busy. It's that time of year. It's good to hear from you.

I've been busy too and am very late with the next couple of videos. I have a birds video almost ready to go but have been working on Perfect Genetics Gen 2 Episode 5. This one will have lots of birthdays. Just about the whole video is about babies, toddlers, children and teens aging up to the next level.

I needed a rest for a few days after the play finished. It took up a lot of my time rehearsing and then doing 9 performances. In all I was busy with it for 4 months, but the final 3 weeks were when we did the performances, I didn't do much with videos during those final 3 weeks. It was so hot here then too, and I was tired and preparing for the next performance or doing it. In the end I enjoyed the experience. I usually hate them and wonder why I get involved and can't wait for them to be over, but I'm feeling a lot better these days and apart from painful legs for most of it I was feeling really good and enjoyed the process all the way through. I thought my days of doing that sort of thing were well and truly over but it seems there could be more musicals in my future by the way some influential people in the local amateur theatre world were talking. And my legs are much better now too. I spend too much time sitting and I need to get out more and more around a lot more than I do.

I better get back to it and get that video finished.

Happy Simming and I hope you enjoy the holiday season and that next year is good for you and your family.

Episode 5 of Generation 2 of The Perfect Genetics Challenge in now available for you to watch on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/AV_vx8ftwtY

In this video there are lots of birthdays, some travel as sims move to a new world, a revelation about a future heir, and some aging up problems for at least one little sim.
    The Perfect Genetics Challenge Generation 2 Episode 6 is now up on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/8-IuwE5ISdA

As usual there is plenty going on and it's a busy episode.

Toddler training, children learning child skills and working on opportunities. Teens reading recipes and working on their fishing skills. Children learning logic as they discover potions.

A small group of sims have a vacation in France. While there they work on skills and read books. This turns out to be a successful way of being able to save their progress without having to shut down and reload after each save so there will be more of these 'vacations' in future episodes.

Their home has 16 sims plus a small dog and a cat. I find I need to shut down and reload after each save when they are at home. This means I tend to put off saving and sometimes this results in me getting an Error 12 and I lose all progress since the last successful save. When Martin got an opportunity that required him to go to France and Cindy needed to deliver some freshly caught frogs to the restaurant I decided to experiment on a possible work around to my Error 12 issues.

I sent Martin and his imaginary friend made real, Bart, as well as Cindy and her imaginary friend made real, Bobby, to France. Martin quickly completed his opportunity and the others went fishing or caught butterflies, played with the wild horses, watched the train go by, visited the nectary and harvested wild plants. The teens in the group made significant progress with their skill building and I was able to save without any issues whenever I felt it necessary to avoid losing progress. I didn't need to shut down and reload after saving. I saved at least 3 times while they were in France and there was no occurrence of Error 12.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    @Karritz: awesome video. That's great to know that you can save in the foreign sims3 worlds. :)
    :) Smile!

@Karritz: awesome video. That's great to know that you can save in the foreign sims3 worlds. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was very relieved when I was able to save in the other world. I wasn't sure it would have worked so I made sure I saved with a new name. I knew it had worked only when I was able to successfully travel back to Moonlight Falls.
    edited February 2023
    @Karritz I watched your Perfect Genetics Generation 2, Episode 5 video. Upgraded appliances are always a priority for me too. I don't like to have appliances breaking down or giving my sims bad moods. Sometimes I have sims upgrade things themselves, depending on how much time they have to work on things. In Sims 4, I have a mod that lets me buy mattress upgrades which improves sleep needs. I may spoil my sims. πŸ˜„

Lots of aging up and birthday celebrations in this video. It's fun to see the changes in how sims look when they reach their next age level. I see that genetic requirements make it a little easier to choose which sims become your heirs. Sorry about the aging attempt issues you ran into though. LOL at the toddlers wanting bottles before they could age up. What a nightmare with those two! Glad it all finally worked out. Great choice of the Party Animal trait for the little guy who went through several birthday parties before he finally decided to age up. πŸ˜‰
    @Karritz RE: Perfect Genetics Generation 2, Episode 6. Aliens and ghosts! Only in the Sims, right? I like the music you chose for this video. ...I enjoyed watching the toddlers playing. TS3's toddlers are wonderful. 😊 Sims 4 is finally getting a new infant stage in March. A crawling infant, between the baby stage and walking toddler. Interesting that they broke the toddler stage into two levels when, at first, TS4 didn't even have toddlers!

y4mblNBgfh1njU6SSbnGZghvta5PZ_k_C3jsAik7h2k3725M0KJA5GHiNf6HqdgWxR5rJjSpdGCPM5dttscX9f6v9sDqoeq5hQskU8vvr6Ydtv3hhiOkumBAzmziwHZrdlcdmDZ7OJtkdcHxOOoJmMpIYdK-vLlPVS_go1NxqrPDwgPR56jXzj4F4gLeSJaIbNC?width=489&height=275&cropmode=none

I always like how you provide lots of living space for your sims, especially since you often have large households. And providing activities helps with big families. ...Loved seeing the wild horses, the foal--and the train! Pretty area. ...Great makeover for Mary. Cute alien sim. ...Love TS3 gnomes. Each is unique.
    @lanlyn I'm glad you got to enjoy the videos.

I think the reason my sims are always so happy is I always try to give them maximum environment points in most of the rooms in their houses, and I give them expensive appliances. Not always the most expensive, but good enough with high values for the needs they use them to satisfy.

Spoiling the sims is just a fun way of turning the game into something enjoyable rather than a constant struggle for survival. I remember the early days of playing when things were not so calm and under control.

Birthdays are a bit of a problem at the moment. They are happening now because, in the earlier episodes of Perfect Genetics I ignored the need to keep sims aging up and moving out, so I ended up with a massively overstuffed house and a lot of very young sims that have to grow up fast to make the challenge move along. I could just evict them all to the clipboard or something, but I would prefer to keep them in the game and available to visit.

I became determined to age that little toddler up no matter what, but I was beginning to despair of it happening at all. That's why I made a record of all of the numbers of his facial features. I thought, if I had to reset him again and turn him into a generic sim, then I could take him into CAS and fix his face and hair to make him look as he should. Fortunately, that wasn't necessary, but I did discover that the pair of them have identical facial features. It is just their gender and hair colours that differ.

I pre-ordered Sims 4 and still got it even though they had left toddlers out because I believed toddlers would be added. eventually I just didn't expect it'd take them so long to do it. And then, when I played the game, it got so bad that when I was loading a save, I found I couldn't wait for it to finish loading so I could shut it down as I just couldn't stand the thought of playing it. But now I'm thinking, maybe one day I might be tempted to buy some more of it (very cheaply) if I get my laptop working. I haven't tried to turn it on since 2017. It has Origin on it and I don't want to put Origin on my PC. Probably nothing will happen regarding Sim 4 and me though.

The reason I have such huge rooms for my sims in my videos is the need to video what they are up to. I try to have Walls Up so it's obvious who and what is in the room, plus I want to see the decor on the walls. I found with walls up, I need a big room to be able to show anything in the videos unless I stick to looking down on them all the time. But I like to have a Sims eye view of the world most of the time for the videos.

I like to include that train when I have sims visiting France. I think the next few episodes will see various sims visiting the World Adventure worlds because that allows me to get them ready to move out and I can save without having to worry about Error 12. I just hope Error 12 goes away when I get the main household down to around 8 sims. If not, I'll have to move them to a different world.

It is very hot here now, and I can't do much else so I think I'll start work on the next episode of this series today. Tomorrow I will be going out all day and I was out most of the day yesterday too.
    @Karritz I agree about enjoying sims rather than struggling to keep them alive. And when I've managed to install all the packs and store items, I certainly don't want to use the same cheap items over and over with each new family.

Oh, that makes sense about having large rooms and walls up while videotaping your games. I've noticed that, in other videos, small rooms often seem distorted.
    @lanlyn to see anything happening in a small room you have to use the tab key and move around a bit and that always distorts the room. I do use it occasionally, but mostly if someone is reading a bedtime story to a child. I mostly have bedrooms that are 6x4 tiles and that makes them too small to easily video inside them. Which is why my videos rarely show sims in bed.
    The Perfect Genetics Challenge, Generation 2, Episode 7 is now available for you to watch on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/IDvnPZz1vXo

This episode begins at home in Moonlight Falls, then a group of sims from the main household travel to Egypt. After the travelers return to Moonlight Falls, Olivia takes Bobby to Mountain Lake. Bobby finds a home in Mountain Lake and Olivia visits her son, James and his family. She meets some of her grandchildren who live in Mountain Lake. Four of the grandchildren turn their imaginary friends real while Olivia visits them.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Happy Simming
    @Karriz I watched your latest Perfect Genetics Challenge video, Gen 2, Episode 7. ...I liked the "alien boys" working together at their lab tables. ...Nice scenes in Egypt. Good idea to let them study and learn skills while away from home. ...I enjoyed seeing the sims' adventures too. Treasure hunting is fun--and lucrative! ...Actually, I don't think I ever totally completed those Sims 3 world adventures. I've done most of them though. ...Great choices of background music. Atmospheric. ... I liked the home lot you showed, with the glass buildings. ...The base camp house in Mountain Lake was cool. It looked cozy. Nice world too. Glad you could save your sims even though you had to abandon the world. I had to do that with one of my Sims 3 worlds. The save got corrupted, but I did get my sims out safely. One of the downsides of TS3. It offers lots of gameplay, but the engine struggles to handle it all. ...I liked seeing your CAS profiles of the transformed IFs. Thanks for another great video! πŸ™‚
    @lanlyn thank you. I launched the game again yesterday to start work on the next episode of this story. I think I'll continue posting this series until the Generation 3 heir is ready to take over and then I'll give it a rest for a while to continue with Oscar's story or one of the others.

Yesterday, in my game I decided to return Olivia to her home world which is Moonlight Falls. But, when I opened the game the active household was James' home, as expected, but Olivia wasn't there. I soon found her back at the base camp. That must have been where she was when I last saved after she returned from her brief expedition to Vice City so I could check it out as a probably next world I'll be sending sims to live.

I had a suspicion that when you travel to another world without first saving changes in the world you are leaving that the changes since the last save in that world would not be saved. It just didn't seem logical to me that it was saving those changes. There is a time stamp beside each individual file in the save and if the time stamp hasn't changed then that file wasn't saved. Anyway, I proved my suspicions were correct as the few things I'd done at James' house all needed to be done again. That's the reason I sent Olivia back to his world instead of sending her directly home from Vice City.

Well, I tidied up James' house then I sent Olivia to stay with Gary and Donna and their family. I saved the changes. At this point I should have quit and reloaded, but I didn't want to as I was getting tired. So I decided to tidy up Gary's place. Their inventories were full of fish, insects, rocks, harvestables, gems and other stuff that needed to be stored or sold. I sell small as they are high maintenance and tend to die if not cared for constantly and then they often still just die. So I sell them. As I emptied each inventory I kept telling myself I was wasting time as the game would not save as I hadn't shut down and reloaded. Anyway, I just kept on doing it and arguing with myself about this being a huge waste of time.

I wanted Olivia to have a party before she went home as several of her family members were living in Mountain Lake and I thought it would be nice to catch up with them before she returned home. I didn't want to move her around each individual household as that would take weeks. She couldn't have a party at Gary's house as 'she didn't know any sims well enough to invite them to a party'. So I tried inviting them to a venue and that worked.

By the time I'd emptied all of the personal inventories of the members of Gary's household I decided to shut down and leave the computer for the night. It was getting late. I Saved and turned off the monitor and left it to do its thing. I fully expected an Error 12. A few hours later I returned to shut down for the night and discovered it had saved successfully. Now I'm wondering if turning off the monitor helped as I am confused as to why it saved, even though I'm very pleased that it did. I had checked the memory use before starting the save it, it was over 3,000 KB which is a few hundred KB over what it usually is when I get an Error 12 while saving this world. I haven't launched the game yet today so I'm wondering if I was imagining that I had saved. I'll find out later when I do launch. It will be immediately obvious if the inventories are full of collected objects or not.

Happy Simming
    edited March 2023
    @Karritz Glad your save was successful--well, I guess I should say "good luck with the save when you start the game." Hope the new save truly worked and that your instincts were correct. The process sure sounds complicated! 😟
    lanlyn wrote: Β»
    @Karritz Glad your save was successful--well, I guess I should say "good luck with the save when you start the game." Hope the new save truly worked and that your instincts were correct. The process sure sounds complicated! 😟

The save was successful. Now I've got something else to wonder about. If I have an Error 12 problem, can I fix it by turning off the monitor?

I make things complicated so I won't blame the game for that. I always want to push it just beyond the point where it can cope and then try to force it to cope. I can't keep track of the game without my spreadsheet though.
    @Karritz You're a dedicated simmer! But I like how you keep your families connected. I've tried to do that a couple of times, and it's not easy!
    The Perfect Genetics Challenge Generation 2 Episode 8 is now available for you to watch on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/zQW-OKrLaTs

In this episode there is plenty of things happening.

The video opens during the telling of a ghost story in the home of James and his family. Olivia is still with them but soon leaves for her home in Moonlight Falls. There is a party to send her off and most of the population of Mountain Lake showed up.

When Olivia arrives in Moonlight Falls she is in the Base Camp I built and placed in the world. The video does a quick look through this building. There are several other travellers staying there with Olivia.

After Olivia returns to her own home she settles back into the usual family mayhem. Their back yard is still crawling with townies at all times of the day and night, and an alien dropped in for a brief visit during the night.

There are two birthdays - Cindy's youngest twins, Donna and Debbie, become children. Donna is Cindy's heir. Generation 3 will begin after she finally ages up to Young Adult and gets married. Donna's birthday was uneventful. Debbie had an interesting event during her birthday celebrations. Hint: the name of the cake is The Birthday/Inferno cake. It shows both sides of its nature in this video.

One of the imaginary friend dolls became live and was transformed into a real sim. By the end of the video, the two little girls and the newly real imaginary friend are all children and begin work on their child skills.
    Update on the Perfect Genetics Challenge.

I've been working on the next episode of my Perfect Genetics Challenge. I aged up two of the household members to Young Adult and sent them to live in Vice City. Don took them there and on his return he found seven (7) strange sims living in the household. I have no idea where they came from. I suspect the game just created them as new sims. There were over 24 sims in the household when Don returned home. So I evicted the seven strangers and placed them together in an empty 4 bedroom house in town. I decided to let the game decide what to do with them.

Now there is room for some of the younger sims to make their imaginary friends real. I'll be aging up the remaining two teens as soon as they get to level A at school.

The population of Vice City is currently 3 sims. One of them I placed in the world when I set it up to be used in this game, the other two are Martin and his imaginary friend made real, Bart. I'll show you around the new world in the video. I hope to have it up next week some time as I'm still recording game play for it.

Happy Simming
    edited April 2023
    @Karritz I watched your video Perfect Genetics Gen 2, Episode 8. Fun scenes with the kids. They were all keeping themselves busy. ...I'm beginning to recognize your sims and families. I love TS3 fairies. 😊 ...That's a unique way of handling traveling sims. Makes sense for your play style though. ...Cool to see the lilac-colored hair genetics in the one family. ...I've never had a cake burst into flames before. That was a surprise! ...I liked the glowing skirt of the Goth ghost. ...Good idea about using high-environment paintings to keep sims happy. Are they a lot more expensive? ...Nice big yard. TS3 has more of the larger-sized lots than TS4 does. Most of Sims 4 lots are fairly small. ...Cute scene with the kids at the chemistry tables. ...I saw your note at the end of the video. Hope you didn't lose too much of your game after the crash! ...As always, thanks for sharing your gameplay. πŸ‘
    @lanlyn thank you for the comment and for watching the video.

I didn't lose too much of the game play. The thing I wanted to know before making that Imaginary Friend real was if it was one of the two I had found wandering around town in Sim for, but not real yet. It turned out he was. The other one was the doll belonging to Denise, Cindy's eldest daughter. You'll see them in the next Perfect Genetics video.

I've now done the game play but have to find the time to put the video together.

That Goth ghost is a townie who came with Supernatural. She has a home to live in but, like a lot of other townies, she like to hang out in my Sim's back yard. I'm pretty sure that's due to the Group Science Project being on the lot. I usually have them in the bottom basement, but this one is out in the open and it is very attractive to all of the sims. It makes the home lot very busy and there's always something going on.

I keep finding exhausted townies sleeping in the chair beside the pool.

I could move the GSP down to the bottom basement, but I only have a small basement and I find basements seem to clog up memory so I'm being entertained by the constant visitors to the lot.

I think I've got all the doors locked now so they don't get into the house, but the ghosts just float through the walls. Fortunately there's only two ghosts that visit often and Frida Goth seems to be the only one who is there most of the time.

I'm glad you're enjoying the videos.
    The Perfect Genetics Challenge Generation 2 Episode 9 is now available for you to watch on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/z2CZHdsDXjM

This episode says goodbye to Martin and Bart as they move to Vice City. We meet a new sim who was the sole resident of Vice City and have a quick look around this world by Fresh Prince Creations. It will be the world future young adults from the main household will live when they age up to YA. Except for the heir and his/her closest family members.

The household visits the Spring Festival and get up to lots of different fun activities.

Two imaginary friends become real. And we catch up with the various household members.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Happy Simming
    edited May 2023
    @Karritz Watched your newest Perfect Genetics Challenge video, Episode 9, and jotted down some notes. ...I liked the school building. It's a boarding school, right? Nice playground. ...Cute segment with the alien boy playing whack-a-gnome. ...Huge birthday celebration. Several aliens in the family. Sims always get such crazy outfits when they age up. So funny. ...Are the sims with greenish skin part alien or plantsim, or just different genetics? ...The bot forms are fun. I had a couple of sims with that trait. Something different. ...Great looking base camp. I always tried to add base camps to my TS3 worlds. Sometimes they worked as community centers too. A lot of sims always seemed to show up at the camps, so I added things for everyone to do. ...I enjoyed seeing your sims' houses. ...LOL at the indoor protesting. ...The ITF rabbit roles are versatile for quickly adding venues. ...Imaginary Friends are like getting two sims with one birth! ...Fun Easter egg hunt and smustle dancing. Liked the raccoon. Busy festival park!
    @lanlyn thank you. I've been a bit distracted over the past few days.

I'm glad you enjoyed the latest video. The non-alien children with the green skin are Don and Olivia's grandchildren. I made Don with green skin and he seems to be passing it down. Cindy inherited it from him. All but one of her brothers got it too. Only James got Olivia's blue skin. To add interest I made Bill with pink skin. He's Cindy's husband. Their son has his pink skin and white hair. I'm thinking of what colour skin to give the husband I'll make for the next heir. She has pink skin. I'll probably run out of colours by generation 10. I thought it'd be interesting to see what mixtures occurred. I'll have to check but I think I have my mod set to allow babies to inherit from their grandparents. I accentuated Debbie's green colouring by dressing her in greens.

There was constant alien pregnancies in the household at one point. So I got into NRAAS and set some alien related things to never. It seems to have worked as there haven't been any abductions since I did it. Bill had one alien pregnancy almost as soon as he aged up to Young Adult. The other little aliens were all born to Don.

The Base Camp in Vice City is a building that came with the world. I just added a computer and desk to it I think. It was a long time ago now so I can't remember exactly. I didn't do much, other than use the mod to turn it into a base camp. They way I play I find it can be game breaking to try to let them travel without a base camp to arrive at.

I was surprised there was even a protest as there were only four sims in the world. Last time I looked the game hadn't added any extra sims, and I got Don out of there as fast as I could. The next trip will be delivering Mary and Barbara. They are teens now and I think they are still B Grade at school. They both have enough skills and read enough recipes and fishing bait books to age up. So hopefully they'll be out of there in the next episode. Max and Peter will age up early in the next episode as they are both A Grade at school. I'll then try to get them ready to age up to YA soon. I was too relaxed with Generation 1 and allowed the house to fill up with so many little sims I should have been aging up and moving out.

I'll get to work on the next video soon.
    Happy Simming

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top