Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question? Issue with harvesting wild plants?

I just decided to start up a new game and I'm trying to get my gardening going better and make more money. I can't buy the good seeds yet so I'm trying to harvest wild plants and trees. But I'm having a problem and I'm trying different things to see what's going on. The issue is that the wild plant is rarely havestable, sometimes I visit a family on a lot that has good harvestable wild plants growing outdoors nearby. So, I will stay there talking with them and allowing time to pass and the plants you can see have harvestables on them, sometimes even glowing that greenish color meaning they can evolve. I go to harvest, and it will not let me harvest the plant, I can either view or uproot. But sometimes and I can harvest a plant even of that same type(snapdragon) but very rarely. I've been in the same general area without traveling for maybe 7 sim hours and still can't harvest. I would suggest that maybe a garden skill of 4 is not high enough but there was an occasion or two where i did harvest a good wild plant. So, am I missing something? I looked at Carls sims guides, and some other places and didn't really find an answer that suited my exact situation. Basically, one video said stay on a lot for a long-time fishing or something then the plant will develop, and you can harvest. Well, I've basically done that. I even visited the same area two days in a row thinking maybe it takes a whole day in a half for the plant to become harvestable. Some plants like a lily I didn't even see it develop any, while other plants in same area did develop but yet still unharvastable. Is there a trick to this I'm not understanding? and lastly I tried viewing the plant and then returning back to that plant later thinking maybe viewing it would trigger something but nothing.

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    7 hours won't be enough for the majority of plants.
    Since Seasons, all plants will start growing every 5:00 AM and will have reached their maximum number of crops for that day at 5:30 AM once they are fully grown. The update made it very difficult to measure the growth rate of each plant. Some plants always mature after the same number of hours, with others the hours vary greatly.

via Sims Wiki Sims 4 Gardening

Click on the link and scroll down to find growth rate (hours) listed for each plant.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Is the issue that harvestables don't appear on the plant, or that harvestables appear but you don't have the option to harvest them?
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Plants have to fully mature, which can take quite some time. And then you have to be in the area at 5 AM, because that the daily spawn moment.
    It only works slightly differently in destination worlds where in season plants will often be mature and ready to harvest upon loading the area. They will only respawn harvestables at 5 AM, while you're in the area, just like plants in residential worlds.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • AlienTusksAlienTusks Posts: 194 Member
    @MDianaSims Thanks for the input, for me sometimes when I travel to a destination that has wild plants growing, some are ready to be harvested when I get there (Very few if any). One thing that seems weird is that some plants you can look at them and see the harvestable on the plant but yet cannot harvest (is this normal?). Not only that, but also some plants have those green little glow crystals meaning a plant is ready to evolve. And still no harvest ability. But I will use what you're saying and try that. Am I to take it that by be in the area at 5am that I need to wake a bit early and travel to the location shortly before 5am, or will the harvestable be there 5am and the rest of the day after that time??
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    You have to be in the area before 5 AM.
    What I usually do is take a tent and have my sim camp there for a night.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    If the harvestable is visible on the plant but you can't harvest, that seems unusual to me. Maybe check Answers HQ and see if it is a known bug?
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I'd go with mightysprite suggestion, this sounds like a bug so better go report it over there.
    When the plant sparkles it should be able to be harvested when it's a wild plant. Also when you see the harvestables growing on it it should be harvestable.

I think most people here misunderstand your question and think you mean the dirtpiles never growing up to be harvestable.
    SignatureSparkly.gif