The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide how many kids your Sims have?

Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
As the title states, how do you decide how many kids your Sims have?

Do you have an absolute maximum due to the number of Sims you can manage at one time or that your computer can handle?

Do you calculate a specific ideal family size and then work towards that?

Do you go solely based off the wants of your Sims?

For me, I have ACR 2.0 so I can set an ideal family size and then that is used in the mod's calculations for if they try for a baby or not.

If 2 Sims have a different Ideal Family Size the one that has the higher one has to persuade the one with a lower Ideal Family Size to have another baby once they've hit that Sim's number of kids. So if Dad's Ideal is 4 and Mom's Ideal is 2 and they have 2 kids already, Dad has to persuade Mom to try for another baby. Same if the Mom's Ideal is 4 and the Dad's Ideal is 2. Mom has to convince Dad to have another kid.

I have a formula for that as well that factors in the aspiration, number of kids that already exceed the lower Ideal Family Sim amount, among other things.

I posted in detail here as I put it into place for a BACC I'm doing: https://wildwoodheightsbacc.wordpress.com/how-many-babies/

Comments

• lebgirl_18lebgirl_18 Posts: 142 Member
    Hello, for me I decide based on the mood I’m in. If I feel like making a big family, I would make a bunch of kids, but if I just want to get straight to the game, I’ll make the parents and maybe one or two kids haha
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    I usually decide based on the size of the house they live in 😂 Also based on their personalities and aspirations to some extent, but mostly the size of the house 😂
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Usually when I miss having a toddler in the house.
  • miababyymiababyy Posts: 7 New Member
    i usually go with 2 and maybe a 3rd if one of my kids are old enough to help out
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    It depends on my sims and what I feel they would want and what would suit their story. I just go with what feels right to me.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    My couples usually have one or two children directed by me, while story progression might add a few more children to their family tree.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    I rarely play with kids, but i will have 2-3 max. Unless I'm telling a cool story
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Totally by my whim of the moment and based on how I see that sim and their life.

Every time I have given in to the urge to let a sim have a lot of kids, I get overwhelmed and just stop caring, because caring for them gets to be so much like an assembly line and no one can have a life other than childcare 24/7 under those conditions. Or sometimes I take more interest in one particular child and stop playing any other sims, then get obsessed with seeing them become parents but raising babies, toddlers, and kids never changes so doing it once is enough.

So I'm torn because I like my sims to find their happily ever after and have little legacies, but then the gameplay shifts from extreme and exciting to extremely repetitive and I lose interest.

Anyone have a cure for this? 😅
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • MotherHjonkerMotherHjonker Posts: 8 New Member
    What usually happens is I'll make a couple then decide "Oh, they'll have x amount of kids to start off." They'll sometimes end up having more as time progresses, or I'll get bored and decide to throw in more to make things interesting.

I'll usually cap out at 3-4 if I can control it, but sometimes that doesn't happen :tongue:
  • CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    I roll a die to decide, unless I have a specific story plot in mind.
    Origin ID: CieloSims
  • DivorcedMarySueDivorcedMarySue Posts: 7 New Member
    It depends on the story, but usually I prefer to have only one baby or two with big age gap. I go for three if parents have this life goal with three kids finishing uni. For specific stories I may have more. I like raising kids, the problem for me is to decide what to do with each of them once they grow up. In TS3 I just let 'extra' kids live their lifes outside of the family I play, but in TS2 I iterate through all sims in the hood and if too many families have too many kids it results in too many adults for me to control 😄
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,937 Member
    Well I do often end up giving my sim couples at least one kid because I am just too curious what they would look like :lol:

and I also like to have sims with long family trees out and about

1-3 is like the usual number really

or maybe they end up having close to infinite number of babies because its way too much fun to find out how the kids turn out to be or i get twins or triplets or alien babes

I only limit when it becomes too much of a chore or I get bored of certain sim genetics like if I have 10 sims that are too similar it tends to turn into survival of the fittest real fast as i start making excuses to make their lives shorter
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I bought a 10 sided die when I'm looking for a challenge. I have re-rolled it a couple times because the number was too small. :lol:
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,718 Member
    For my Veronaville playthrough I'm using a formula to decide how many kids a Sim wants, then when they couple up I'm taking the average of both numbers. One half of the formula comes down to personality and the other half is heavily influenced by aspirations.

- - - - - - - - - -

For the personality I double the Sim's Outgoing score and then add their Nice score to it.

As for the aspiration part I multiply the value* of the primary aspiration by 1,3, multiply the value* of the secondary aspiration by 0,7 and then add those two up.

I then divide the total personality score by the total aspiration score to get the final number, which I round down.

Or as written in a formula: (Outgoing*2 + Nice) / (Primary Asp*1,3 + Secondary Asp*0,7) = Number of kids

- - - - - - - - - -

*Value
    Family = 1
    Fortune = 2
    Knowledge = 3
    Pleasure = 4
    Popularity = 5
    Romance = 6

- - - - - - - - - -

Example:
    A default Aries with a Popularity main and a Fortune secondary aspiration

Outgoing score: 8
    Nice score: 3
    Popularity: 5
    Fortune: 2

8 x 2 + 3 = 19

5 x 1,3 + 2 x 0,7 = 6,5 + 1,4 = 7,9

19 / 7,9 = 2,41

This Sim would have 2 kids on their own, but if they would get a partner who wants at least 3,6 kids they can give in and go for more than 2.
    Banner.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i let my sims decide. which can be scary i set mc to 7 intending to add a dog my sim family decided another kid would be better so 7. i didn't mpnd though cause my real family is only 3 me mom and only goes upat certain points when my brother has my nieces
  • DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    Usually when I get bored or want some drama
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    :) Oh gosh, I've played Sims2 in forever. But I do remember having 10 kids in my Bally Legacy. :) I love the genetics of Sims2 and Sims3. Giggles, I love aliens too.
    :) Smile!

• sonicgamersonicgamer Posts: 31 Member
    It depends on whether the sims roll a want to have a baby; I'm doing a wants based gameplay style which I got inspiration from playthroughs on YouTube.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    It depends on the Sim couples, and what I want for the couple.
    I make a lot of family based Sims, so they tend to roll wanting 6 kids at least, with those families I tend to give them more than 6, not all at once, but over time.
    Other Sims it varies, I tend to give them the minimum of 3, and may give them more.
    If the Sim is based on a preexisting character, for example the Weasleys from Harry Potter, I give them all of their kids, and have to rely on Ginny being born in-game, they always tend to end up with more than their canon kids to get Ginny.