Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about the food lifestyles

Has anybody ever figured out what foods correspond to which lifestyle, both healthy and junk food? I know the only foods tagged with the healthy tag are apparently the salads, harvestables, and then whatever gets unlocked by that lifestyle, but junk food I can't seem to figure out and I really don't want to look through every single food to find out what tags it has. (Not to mention sims 4 studio is telling me certain food I know is unlocked by the health nut lifestyle does not have the food_healthy tag too.)

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I think macaroni, quick meals and ice cream are junk food.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Desserts, Cookies, most baked goods and grand meals are also considered to be junk food.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Just an FYI, far more foods count towards unlocking the healthy food lifestyle now then when lifestyles released. I've unlocked it for 3 sims and other foods which did give progress for the unlock besides salads included Spinach Fritatas, Steamed Fish, Fish Tacos, grilled fruit and grilled plantains, and whole wheat bread.
    Pretty much every food I tried because I thought it "sounded" like it should be healthy did contribute to the unlock.

I can't speak toward the junk food one, as I've never unlocked it, but if they updated foods to make more of them healthy, I imagine they did the same re: junk food.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • cutecabaretcutecabaret Posts: 56 Member
    @Stormkeep see that's interesting because according to the xmls, in order to qualify for the health nut lifestyle, they need the food_healthy tag and those recipes do not have those tags.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    @Stormkeep see that's interesting because according to the xmls, in order to qualify for the health nut lifestyle, they need the food_healthy tag and those recipes do not have those tags.

When a sim eats food the tag on the recipe doesn't even come into play. The recipe tuning is only used when actually cooking it. i.e. that tag is not what determines if a sim gets lifestyle progress for eating the food.

It's easier to see which foods are considered healthy from eating them once a Sim has the lifestyle, because you get positive moodlets from eating them. I wasn't able to figure out where exactly in the game files to look to get the information ahead of time, but it wasn't as easy as just looking at the servings in S4S.

The food itself is set to give lifestyle progress if any of these tags are set on it: Food_Healthy, Func_Harvestable, Food_HealthyMeal. What causes the meal to get any one of those tags is somewhere else in the game coding though, and that's what I couldn't find. I assume the tag you are looking at leads to the first one "Food_Healthy" being assigned to the output, but that's just one of 3 tags a meal could have for the lifestyle.

Edit: I just had one of my sims with the healthy food lifestyle not get the positive moodlet from eating Steamed Fish, while she has before. The only thing changed is they moved to a lot with the Simple Living lot trait. So it seems even more complicated then just 'which meals' count.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • cutecabaretcutecabaret Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2022
    Steamed fish is something that came in the sims deliveries and I know a few of those recipes are bugged in regards to the simple living lot trait. I think I'm just gonna have to cheat the lifestyles and test every recipe in the game, on a lot with simple living and without.

EDIT 4/7

I found out where in the code to figure this out. There's a section in the recipe tunings called apply_tags, and it's under there. At some point I am gonna go through all the recipes and make a spreadsheet or something.

Scratch that, the tags are in the object tunings for each meal. Gonna take a look at beverages too.

Okay it seems like it's a mixture of both and the apply tags section in the recipe tuning overrides whatever is in the object tuning, because the object for steamed fish tells me it's junk food and the recipe tunings and actual object catalog data tells me it's neutral. (It did give me a positive moodlet for eating it with the health nut lifestyle, with and without simple living.) I'm still gonna attempt a spreadsheet at some point and test anything I am unsure about in game.
    Post edited by cutecabaret on
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I finally had a Sim get the Health Food Nut Lifestyle; she lives in a house where the stove is always catching fire, so they don't have a usable stove any more, lol. Salads all the time. (Note: all 6 of them should get this eventually, but teen Nancy Landgraab is the first. Figures.)
  • GilshandrosGilshandros Posts: 19 Member
    Hi, I just tested (almost) all the recipes.

Method: used cheats to give sims the 'healthy eating' lifestyle and to learn pack recipes, then cooked my way through recipes that weren't fried, cakes or pies, 'starchy', or from the 'healthy meal' category the lifestyle unlocks. I didn't do all the Star wars or experimental recipes because the first five of each were all not healthy. Note, though, that my Sims had a well-stocked garden and some of these recipes may have only given them the 'healthy eating' buff because the ingredients were all fresh. And please excuse spelling, I was tabbing in and out to take notes.

Recipes that give the buff from the 'cook' menu: garden salad, tofu stir fry, balaeda, empanadas de verde, fruit salad, pan de muerto, arapa rello con perico, samosa, goi cuon, tacquitos, tajine, sweet and sour eggplant, ramen, pufferfish nigiri, pho, nigiri, lumpia, lobster roll, seafood cowder, egg rolls, pastel de pimito, areba de palion, vegetable dumplings, dango, curry, tofu tacos, onigiri, bhel puri, brochette, banh mi, egg ramen, beef ramen, watermelon salad, tomato wrapped veggie burrito, spinach wrapped veggie burrito, faux meat wellington, veggie slider

Recipes that give the buff from the 'gourmet' menu: Caesar salad, tamogo nigiri, vegetable tempura, caprese salad, tofu chicken saltimbocca, salmon maki roll, herb crusted salmon, spinach frittata, avocado maki roll, butternut squash soup, faux bacon wrapped asparagus, salmon nigiri, butternut gnocchi, tuna nigiri, faux lobster tortellini, meatless Montecristo

Recipes that give the buff from the 'bake' menu: whole wheat loaf, carrot bread, banana bread, sourdough loaf, potato bread, spinach and mushroom quiche, blueberry bagels

Recipes that give the buff from grilling on a BBQ: mushroom steak, camper stew, grilled chicken, elote, grilled plantain, grilled fruit, chicken chimichurri skewers, veggie burger, tofu dogs

And finally, two grand meals give the buff: grand breakfast, and tofurkey dinner.

I hope this helps simmers get the 'healthy eating' lifestyle while letting their Sims eat a variety of foods!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Hi, I just tested (almost) all the recipes.

Recipes that give the buff from the 'cook' menu: garden salad, tofu stir fry, balaeda, empanadas de verde, fruit salad, pan de muerto, arapa rello con perico, samosa, goi cuon, tacquitos, tajine, sweet and sour eggplant, ramen, pufferfish nigiri, pho, nigiri, lumpia, lobster roll, seafood cowder, egg rolls, pastel de pimito, areba de palion, vegetable dumplings, dango, curry, tofu tacos, onigiri, bhel puri, brochette, banh mi, egg ramen, beef ramen, watermelon salad, tomato wrapped veggie burrito, spinach wrapped veggie burrito, faux meat wellington, veggie slider

Recipes that give the buff from the 'gourmet' menu: Caesar salad, tamogo nigiri, vegetable tempura, caprese salad, tofu chicken saltimbocca, salmon maki roll, herb crusted salmon, spinach frittata, avocado maki roll, butternut squash soup, faux bacon wrapped asparagus, salmon nigiri, butternut gnocchi, tuna nigiri, faux lobster tortellini, meatless Montecristo

Most of these make sense, but it's so weird to me that an arepa or baleada (both delicious, but not so much healthy!) count, but pasta primavera does not. Of course, it's also always seemed weird to me that pasta primavera will make your sim gain weight. Like, what are you all doing, pouring a whole bottle of olive oil in there? :D
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    edited December 2022
    Seafood chowder is odd to me, I mean, maybe it's cause I'm from New England, but that has butter and cream in it! Ramen seems odd to me too, though I know you can make some pretty healthy ramen - the ramen in the sims doesn't seem THAT healthy lol. And egg rolls? Really? Lobster roll - so many fats with that one too.

Pufferfish nigiri just makes me laugh - it's healthy AND deadly...
  • GilshandrosGilshandros Posts: 19 Member
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Most of these make sense, but it's so weird to me that an arepa or baleada (both delicious, but not so much healthy!) count, but pasta primavera does not. here? :D

It's entirely possible I just ... forgot to test pasta primavera. It's not on my list with a big NO, at least. Sorry! (in my defence, once you add the pack recipes in there's a LOT)
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited December 2022
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Most of these make sense, but it's so weird to me that an arepa or baleada (both delicious, but not so much healthy!) count, but pasta primavera does not. here? :D

It's entirely possible I just ... forgot to test pasta primavera. It's not on my list with a big NO, at least. Sorry! (in my defence, once you add the pack recipes in there's a LOT)

Oh, no, I don't think you forgot it; it's come up in several discussions over the years of "why isn't this food healthy" or "why does this food make my sim gain weight."

ETA: I think when people make these types of lists, they're generally accurate; I just don't think anyone on the TS4 staff consulted an actual nutritionist before they started coding. :D
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The food lifestyles make no sense, my sim with the health food nut lifestyle (which I cheated on to her) is always getting negative moodlettes from foods that you would expect to be healthy. She got some "processed food" uncomfortable moodlette after eating a fish grand meal, even though I have the simple living lot challenge on and she used a fish as an ingredient for the meal, I don't understand what exactly is processed?