Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a reason for no more Winter DLC?

So like, way back in like 2016 when we only got 1 pack a year, it was usually in November so the new EPs would drop around the holiday season. Then once they went back to making 2 packs a year like previous Sims iterations, it was both a summer and winter release. Now, we're back to 1 pack a year it seems, and they're dropping in the summer instead of around the winter holidays where everyone is buying gifts for each other.

Is it really more profitable to release a pack in summer? I'm just wondering why the Sims Team seems to not release anything new other than kits around gifting seasons for 2 years in a row now.

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I'm not sure. Maybe it's still all Covid/Working from home related. EP's take a year to year and half to make so during that production time frame they would have been working from home so maybe it was more difficult.

Or then again, maybe the production team is quite a bit less than before and people have been shifted over to work on Project Rene. Kits obviously are much easier to make since they're essentially nothing more than just meshes and textures, there's no coding, programming, UI changes, or any type of gameplay.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I'm not sure either. Maxis seems to do things a bit differently now.

It could be the effects of covid/working from home but with their new studio logo and with them also recruiting people it could be that they have shifted things around and maybe will still shift things around. More people will work on Project Rene so in order to do that they have decided to not have a large release schedule for the holidays (like a second expansion pack that they used to have).
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Yea, but then that makes me wonder, when we got 1 pack a year previously it was always close to the Holiday season. Now that they've switched back to 1 pack a year (like y'all said most likely b/c of either project rene or covid), is it just better to release games in summer vs. winter?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I think it's probably because of their fiscal quarters. I'm not sure what how their fiscal years begin/end, so maybe having higher sales in July benefits them most.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I guess the planned winter EP had to be postponed.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    edited December 2022
    I wonder if High School Years was originally planned for fall or winter, and then got rushed out. We had already got 2 game packs back-to-back in spring and early summer (Wedding Stories and Werewolves).
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I honestly can’t imagine there’s that much difference in profitability between a summer and winter release. Most people who are going to buy a sims 4 pack are going to buy it anyway.

I guess maybe winter might get more Christmas/full price purchases where as a summer release might end up selling more later in the year during a sale. But then people generally have more expense at winter anyway, so probably less people will buy for themselves at this time.

We can never really know unless they tell us. But I would imagine there’s not a huge difference.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Without data there is no way of knowing for sure, but private guess is that the focus is on Rene while we get the scraps and floor sweepings. Welcome to the downside of product life cycle.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2022
    Without data there is no way of knowing for sure, but private guess is that the focus is on Rene while we get the scraps and floor sweepings. Welcome to the downside of product life cycle.

Not saying you’re wrong but there’s nothing to substantiate that. They’ve said that it is not affecting Sims 4, that it’s a different team and they’ve pushed out more kits and SDX since the announcement than in the timeframe before it as well as announcing two expansions and a big feature update which will make 2023 one of the most content rich years in the games history.

Asides from its existence there is nothing to suggest Rene impacts Sims 4 production right now. They were scaling back anyway before Rene was a thing seemingly due to Covid or kits being cheaper to make.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    If a lot of these new simmers taking on the free base game start buying up packs for Christmas, EA won't be hurting for sales in December and January.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited December 2022
    Probably down to declining team numbers, why hire new people for a game that's ending in a few years when you could hire them to work on the new game? I expect they're probably just losing developers over time and not replacing them which is leading to releases being less often than they used to.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I wish they didn’t have to rush expansions out imagine if they came out finished with less bugs.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »

Not saying you’re wrong but there’s nothing to substantiate that. They’ve said that it is not affecting Sims 4, that it’s a different team and they’ve pushed out more kits and SDX since the announcement than in the timeframe before it as well as announcing two expansions and a big feature update which will make 2023 one of the most content rich years in the games history.

Asides from its existence there is nothing to suggest Rene impacts Sims 4 production right now. They were scaling back anyway before Rene was a thing seemingly due to Covid or kits being cheaper to make.

A. Stated private guess, acknowledging that do not have hard data
    B. 2015-2017 had 8, 7, & 6 packs respectively. Toddlers update was somewhere in that timeframe. Compared to that, 2 packs and the infants update pale almost to insignificance.

TS4 has been in decline since the end of 2020. Have been in the corporate world since 1976, including a management degree, so suspect that although Renee was recently announced there have been resource reallocations since 2021, if not before, and work being done. The leaves have been rustling in the wind for a good while now. All products have a life cycle, that of TS4 extended beyond the norm for the type, and we are in the inevitable down phase. It would be bad business to devote more than the minimum necessary into TS4 at this point.