Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This "Go to Work After Regaining Passion" thing is ridiculous and impossible.

Okay, so I thought I just had to have my Sim "Regain Passion" at any point before he went to work the next day, right? Wrong. I guess I have to have him "Regain Passion" less than six hours before going to work, so he still has the positive moodlet when he goes to work. In addition to the fact that there's only a ridiculous 50-50 chance that regaining his passion will even work...He has to sleep in between the time he comes home from work and the time he goes to work again. When he wakes up, the Want to "Go to Work After Regaining Passion" is gone, and I can't Regain Passion! And if I do it before he sleeps, the moodlet will be gone by the time he goes to work!

Wants and Fears have been part of this game for a while now. This is getting impossible to deal with. I don't mind having challenges in my game, but this goes beyond "challenging" and it happens way too frequently to be any fun.

I really hope somebody is working on fixing this. Has anyone else had an issue with this fear? I'm near tears at this point.

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I love the fact that we have wants and fears in the game but I too hate any fear relating to sims' jobs and the progress of their aspirations.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited December 2022
    I tried, really tried to like wants and fears, but the "fear of dead-end job" and "fear of unwanted dreams" were just so repetitive that I gave up recently and disabled fears with a mod, because we can't even turn them off because of a bug.

From what I can tell, "fear of dead-end job" seems to be just a timer, doesn't matter if they get promoted, doesn't matter if you don't play them at all, they seem to get this fear all the time, you can cure the fear on one household, play another household for a week or so, return to the first household and they will get the "fear-of dead end job" again.

"fear of unwanted dreams" makes it impossible to play one sim in a household with multiple sims, the sims that you are not playing will get the fear and get annoyed, just because you wanted to focus on one sim. It doesn't help either that the wants that they want you to do sometimes makes no sense, like breaking up with someone they have been together with for several years.

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I loved the idea of them adding wants and fears, but I had to turn them off.. way, way, way under developed. Which is a shame, but also seems to be a running theme unfortunately.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    edited December 2022
    Dealt with it by purchasing the Carefree trait. He'll still be sad when he comes home from work, but hopefully this means that "Regain Passion" won't make him tense if it fails.

UPDATE: So, an update to the Carefree trait solution--because the cooldown for "Regain Passion" is connected to the Tense moodlet, if he fails (you can tell by the animation and the lack of a Focused or Inspired moodlet), you can try again as many times as you need! Ha! Carefree is more useful than ever.
    Post edited by SuperCoolRachael on
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2022
    I had the same problem. My sims had part time jobs just to get a little income and have cute outfits. They got the highest position and always worked hard. But they were miserable all the time. I’d fix one of their fears and the other two would get it and it was just making them permanently unhappy to the point I had them all quit and I’m putting off careers. I could do it for one sim, but this was really bad.

One of them was a workaholic who autonomously went to work on her days off, and she still got this fear once a week. Everything about my play style would have suggested I wanted these jobs and that they liked doing these jobs so I don’t know how you can stop it!

I haven’t found the others quite so bad though, just the career one. I don’t even mind it but it was the frequency of it, it was ridiculous.
  • Options
    RPGTabbycatRPGTabbycat Posts: 48 Member
    I turned off wants and fears for this same reason. Fears being nearly impossible to deal with and wants being completely unrealistic (like two male sims that can't get pregnant, one wants to try for baby). Now I have just added a bunch of extra holidays to my calendar (each season is 28 days) so they get all their satisfaction points from those. If I'm playing with cheats, I'll give them some satisfaction points after they max out a skill. Honestly, the old system of whims worked much better and at least you didn't have to waste points to refresh the list or get rid of fears that make no sense. The wants and fears system is about as useless as the Lifestyles and equally annoying. Now, if they could just fix the toggle to turn it off...
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Fears have turned out to be annoying indeed. Fear of Dead End Job, Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams, Fear of Death for elders, and my sim just randomly got Fear of Swimming while eating at the school cafeteria!

It is great that some traits prevent certain fears, but it would be also great if there was a hidden trait that prevents the same fear from reappearing again. Again, Fear of Death for elders. I get them over it and after one loading screen it's back.

And unfortunately, Fear of Dead End Job, Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams, and Fear of Death have no conflicting traits that prevent these. That means that every sim can get it and repeatedly. The other fears with that same thing is Fear of Being Cheated On, Fear of Failure, Fear of Fire, and most of the fears from High School Years (the only one with a conflict is Fear of Failing Classes). That info comes from looking into the tuning files.

Not the greatest system implemented... The idea is great, the execution is terrible.
  • Options
    Dark_BokenshaDark_Bokensha Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2022
    yeah I cannot recall how many times has my Sim gotten the fear of the dead end job, which is sometimes worsened by the fact that her want to go to work feeling passionate usually appears on days that she's not working (I even remember this teen I played with got that fear and it made no sense). I often find myself using the aspiration points to get the "Fear-Be-Gone" drink just to get rid of it, I've also noticed that she hadn't gotten it for a while whenever I remember to make her chat with co-workers so that's a tip I guess.
    For now I can also suggest getting them a freelancer career (or any work from home job) since they never get the fear of the dead end job
    (also, as for the fear of unfulfilled dreams, surprisingly I was able to control my Sim just fine when she gotten it, although she would do some extremely aggressive animations from it, and the want to talk to someone else about it actually came pretty quick for me).
    Edit: just wanted to mention something: I do like the concept of fears being something that happens as a consequence, I really do, but then there are times like these where it's more annoying.
    Another edit: My Sim's wife got the fear after I made her socialize, so that doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. However she did get the fear right after getting promoted, so I'm guessing the fear is buggged.
    Post edited by Dark_Bokensha on
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    All of my Sims with high level jobs get the "dead end job" fear. Pretty much all of my Sims are deeply unhappy about something. I waffle between being annoyed by this and recognizing that people in real life have the same thing happen to them. But as for fulfilling the Sims' wants and dispelling the fears? Nah...not going to happen. It's been made so that it's just not possible to fix without "Carefree."
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    Oh...and the "Fear of the dark?" Yeah, that's annoying. It's full, bright daylight, and my Sims start freaking out about the dark. Maybe it's more of an existential dread kind of darkness they fear? It's definitely not literal darkness.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Okay, so, as long as you successfully Regain Passion (i.e., become Inspired or Focused instead of Tense), it seems that you do fulfill the Want and overcome the fear, even if you don't go to work with the positive moodlet. It's still a pain when it fails, and you do still have to wait to try again if you don't have the Carefree trait, but it seems that you can do it at any time that fear is there, even if it's not right before work, and your Sim will still have overcome their fear. Of course, it'll always come up again, sometimes as soon as a few days later, but with the knowledge that you don't have to do it *right* before work, it's a little more manageable.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    Being able to lock the fear slot the way we can lock the wants would help improve things until the fear frequency (hopefully) gets adjusted. My sims always seem to get the “regain passion” right before their days off, so they end up rerolling wants before they get a chance to deal with the fear.
  • Options
    mmdawson31810mmdawson31810 Posts: 1 New Member
    I love the concept of the fears but they need to make sense! Such as, if a Sim's traits fall in line with a certain career, that they will love their job. On the other hand, if their traits don't fall on line with a career, then they will grow to hate it.

I have a sim who is a goofball and likes comedy and mischief, but will constantly get the fears of a dead end job, and passionless job, being a comedian. This makes no sense!

Also, my sims are constantly getting the break up whims when I get them into a relationship, even with their "soul mates". Wth lol. They'll want to flirt with some nobody sim that they barely know. If sims want actual relationships, then they should gravitate towards sims that they have things in common with and just the ability to explore how different sims relationships can evolve.

And if sims want to just play the field and date around, make it to where a solid foundation isn't required for those relationships.

It would be awesome if the whims, personality traits, like and dislikes, actually held some merit and mattered. Right now, they're just shallow checklists.

I'm not expecting anything extremely complex, not on the current gen at least, but come on. Seems like there is much more potential and focusing on these issues could really make this game.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    My whimoverhaul comes with a special standalone module for fears for those who would like to just tune them down and not have them be gone alltogether.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    My whimoverhaul comes with a special standalone module for fears for those who would like to just tune them down and not have them be gone alltogether.

Whimoverhaul is one of my core mods that I won’t play without. I’d rather wait weeks for a mod update after a patch than play with the broken fear system or the repetitive, basic wants. I also have lumpinou’s re-roll wants cheat so that I can refresh them whenever I want. I totally forget how wants/fears work for everyone else until I see a thread like this one. Playing wants/fears without mods has to be so frustrating.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO