Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Happy Timezones! I posted 2 more chapters last night, I just forgot to post here <3Chapter Three - Love Story
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • plumsiebobplumsiebob Posts: 37 Member
    @SnowBnuuy A glorious mess is just my cup of tea, lol! I'll definitely stop by and say hi!

River. Any pronouns are fine, but I mainly go by they/them. Neurodivergent, cat parent, tea addict. Occult and berry sim SimLit.

aTuIcL0.png
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Hi everyone :) for those of you who remember me, just dropping in to say hi and let you know I'm doing well :) hope everything is great here too!
    Happy Sunday! Two new chapters posted this morning. Chapter Five - Bad Blood
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    What Snowbnuuy said. Write primarily for yourself, what you would like to read and the readers will come eventually. As for screen grabs, just do screenshots and upload the ones you like on to Imgur or something like that and then use them at points in the story to illustrate the action. You can copy a BB link code from Imgur and paste here or own your own blog site. Many use WordPress, I use Blogger and then there's Wix as well.
  • plumsiebobplumsiebob Posts: 37 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Yeah. I've already learned a lot about myself as a SimLit writer already. I write everything out now without screenshots, then I go looking for screenshots that fit what I've written. But yeah, I'm definitely going to write for myself. That's why I wanted to start SimLit to begin with! And then I'll just let everything grow organically.

River. Any pronouns are fine, but I mainly go by they/them. Neurodivergent, cat parent, tea addict. Occult and berry sim SimLit.

aTuIcL0.png
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Continuing Life is Random with a longer chapter.

5.36 The Weekend

RExQIlA.png
    image.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    riverbloe wrote: »
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Yeah. I've already learned a lot about myself as a SimLit writer already. I write everything out now without screenshots, then I go looking for screenshots that fit what I've written. But yeah, I'm definitely going to write for myself. That's why I wanted to start SimLit to begin with! And then I'll just let everything grow organically.

i do that. but i often say things outloud like they can hear me like get off her your married, the first time i played the benders the generation 2 heir got cheated on by his wife so i let him do it just once. well it was supposed to be just once he decided to guilt trip me. i said no and sent him back to his wife then later that night he got out of bed and threw up. i play sims 4 and was unaware sims can get love sick .
    > @SimTresa said:
    > Only one way to find out. Try it and see if it works for you and your readers. If you're worried you'll get bored just working on one at a time, you should try doing two. Or have one main big story and occasionally do short side sotires or chapters from a secondary character's point of view.
    >
    > I know I confused friendsfan at least once, but that was probably partly on me for forgetting to note which story I was updating.

I'll do that! Do you write by a set schedule, or do you write and/or post whenever you feel like it?

don't worry about confusing me.my phrase here is pretty much i'm confused again. which is kind of funny when you think about it i'm a cohost here. but timezones can cause a little confusing then i work all weekend . so not here then this week i know i got thanksgiving this week at moms.
    edited November 2022
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) for those of you who remember me, just dropping in to say hi and let you know I'm doing well :) hope everything is great here too!

hi july. i missed :) this cause of work yesterday.
    > @SimTresa said:
    > Only one way to find out. Try it and see if it works for you and your readers. If you're worried you'll get bored just working on one at a time, you should try doing two. Or have one main big story and occasionally do short side sotires or chapters from a secondary character's point of view.
    >
    > I know I confused friendsfan at least once, but that was probably partly on me for forgetting to note which story I was updating.

I'll do that! Do you write by a set schedule, or do you write and/or post whenever you feel like it?

don't worry about confusing me.my phrase here is pretty much i'm confused again. which is kind of funny when you think about it i'm a cohost here. but timezones can cause a little confusing then i work all weekend . so not here then this week i know i got thanksgiving this week at moms.

Timezones are such fun aren't they? :grin: Happy Thanksgiving!
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »
    > @SimTresa said:
    >

Timezones are such fun aren't they? :grin: Happy Thanksgiving!

yeah they are
    happy thanksgiving. i totally forgot noel and lauren had some kind of disagreement which caused him not to want to live with her anymorebut not before she got pregnant with the twins so hes stuck.
    edited November 2022
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    Oh> @riverbloe said:
    > What are your guys' usual word count per chapter? I'm curious. Right now my posts are pretty short, but I think once I get into it, they'll become a little longer.

Oh, and what lengths do you prefer to read? What you prefer to read vs. what you prefer to write isn't necessarily the same. x)

I will be really honest and say the best way to start with your SimLit is to just go with the flow and see what's right for you ^u^ I will even say, don't even think at all about word count, what folks might want to read, etc. Think about how long you yourself want chapters to be, what you yourself like to read and write and go from there. Otherwise you run the risk of writing for others more than yourself and my advice is to not do that, otherwise it will kill your creative spirit super fast. :'( I think a lot of writing advice blogs (especially on Tumblr) I think have honestly just...made people really self-conscious to even start writing because they are constantly trying to dictate the 'right' way to write (no such thing) , so I say screw the rules and go for it, and then see what works for you!

If you have any more questions though, try asking in the Art of Sims Storytelling thread! You'll get some detailed feedback from other writers there as well!

I will say that word count IMO does not matter at all for a chapter. Some chapters will be longer, some shorter depending on the picture / text ratio and how much you want to share per chapter.

- Thank you so much for this! It’s true that when reading SimLit advice online in places like Tumblr, it seems like there’s so much you need to do in order to get it right. It can be detrimental, especially to people like me who have a tendency to think too much xD

I’m definitely going to just go for it, play it by ear, and see where it takes me and how it all develops, ‘cause the last thing I want is to kill that creativity!

i missed this the other day but iagree with it. the benders sometimes give me ideas of where to go with them and i'm like i can't write that. they say trust us soometimes i do cause its fun to see what happens but thats also probably why i have the most years on the same story.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

Hey, Julyvee! Great to see you! I'm also doing well. Glad you are!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Shorter chapter this time, as the Flower Bunny makes an appearance.

5.37 Spring Things
    image.png
    Hello everyone, hope all is well. I've been having some writers block with Echoed Fragments, so I wrote the first chapter to another story.
    A Tale of Love and Fame - Chapter 1: The New Girl
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Does anyone remember what Jane's and HAM's college courses were? I can't remember - I think Jane was Literature with a minor in Drama and HAM was going to become a theparist. So She's doing Law with a minor in medince (represented by the Vet skill)
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Does anyone remember what Jane's and HAM's college courses were? I can't remember - I think Jane was Literature with a minor in Drama and HAM was going to become a theparist. So She's doing Law with a minor in medince (represented by the Vet skill)

I think you're right, @MadameLee ! And hi! How've you been?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited November 2022
    CathyTea wrote: »

Great! A classmate of mine from high school .. she and her family (husband and 2 daughters) lived on the other side of town from me but they recently moved closer to me during the summer! I visited her once at her new home (dropping off Halloween candy for the daughters) and the 2 of us and her 2 daughters are going to be taking a walk on Monday around 11. we just made the plans earlier in the day today on FB. Since I have some things I want to drop off for the daughters/classmate

How are you?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm back! And boy, it feels good to be back!
    Well, I didn't quite get to the end of Generation 5 like I wanted to, but it's time to move on from Life is Random. One last longish chapter this month, then I'll pick up where I left off next year.

5.38 The Promposal

40Q2hvg.png
    image.png
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    In today's chapter Action is suspicious about Joanna's motives for moving to Foundry Cove as well as figuring out where he stands with Katherine. Chapter 178: A Stroll In The Park.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2022/11/chapter-178-stroll-in-park.html

CWOSqAg.png
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Another question! Do you have save files that are just for game play, or do you exclusively play to write?

Hi! @riverbloe ! Good to meet you. Glad to see you asking questions! I personally have some save files just for gameplay, but most of the time I just play to get either screenshots or inspiration for my stories. My stories aren't dictated by what happens in the game, and I stage a lot of screenshots, but I like to sometimes just play and watch what happens.

As for chapter length, it depends on the story. In my first story (Fey of Life) my chapters got somewhere between 5000 and 6000 words, and for The Chrysanthemum Tango I try to keep them below 5000 words. For Forget-Me-Not I try to keep them even shorter, around 1500-3000 words. All these choices are pretty arbitrary that I just decided and don't stick too strictly to. Reading-wise, I don't care much about the wordcount. Long or short, as long as it's interesting and fun to read, it's all good.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    CathyTea wrote: »

Great! A classmate of mine from high school .. she and her family (husband and 2 daughters) lived on the other side of town from me but they recently moved closer to me during the summer! I visited her once at her new home (dropping off Halloween candy for the daughters) and the 2 of us and her 2 daughters are going to be taking a walk on Monday around 11. we just made the plans earlier in the day today on FB. Since I have some things I want to drop off for the daughters/classmate

How are you?

Oh, that's so cool! How wonderful to reconnect with her and get to know her daughters!

I'm doing well! Busy with teaching online, gardening, and so on. I just got a new laptop, and it can actually handle The Sims really well! I wasn't able to play well for the past few months, and my old laptop was slowly giving out...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top