Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Have a quick question?? I'm Looking for guides or more detailed information about the Sims 4....

Does anyone know of any websites or places to go on computer that give detailed guides of Sims 4. I mean like what each icon that pops up above a sims head means. See recently I made some changes to my kitchen using the move objects cheat, and afterward sims are being unable to do actions (not all the time but sometimes) and what happens is they stop what they're doing and wave their hand in the air and a little thought bubble appears over their head with an image of two feet or shoes and a red box with an exclamation point in it. I know that something is hindering them from doing an action. But anyway, I'm looking for a site that explains all these little details like what I just mentioned for example and more, anyone have any suggestions on this subject...OH, and I'm on Xbox, I posted in the PC discussion because this question is not really console specific, and more people are in the PC discussion so I can get more opinions.... thank you

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    edited November 2022
    One of the best.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/

ETA: Didn't read your entire post before posting the link. Not sure Carl's Guide will have what you're looking for.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited November 2022
    AlienTusks wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any websites or places to go on computer that give detailed guides of Sims 4. I mean like what each icon that pops up above a sims head means. See recently I made some changes to my kitchen using the move objects cheat, and afterward sims are being unable to do actions (not all the time but sometimes) and what happens is they stop what they're doing and wave their hand in the air and a little thought bubble appears over their head with an image of two feet or shoes and a red box with an exclamation point in it. I know that something is hindering them from doing an action. But anyway, I'm looking for a site that explains all these little details like what I just mentioned for example and more, anyone have any suggestions on this subject...OH, and I'm on Xbox, I posted in the PC discussion because this question is not really console specific, and more people are in the PC discussion so I can get more opinions.... thank you

I thought our dear little guide Emily ( the lovely sim with the ginormous glasses, not the gorgeous seamonster) would be able to help you with that. She lives to help. She resides in game options under tutorial and tips. Or just go through the lessons, there’s a thing or two that you could learn about -thought bubbles is one of those things. Actually on second thoughts…I might be wrong about those thought bubbles , I might be very, very wrong…😅

Carl was mentioned on here too, he’s created a page dedicated to Sims 4 secrets:

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/secrets.php

There’s also an active thread on these forums where folks sort of discuss all these wee little in game details we didn’t know about…

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/829244/things-you-didnt-know/p1

I hope you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for! 👍🏼
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    I don’t know about guides but feet with a cross usually means they can’t freely walk to where they need to go. If a kitchen counter or bed or cooker or something is badly placed you’ll sometimes see that crossed out too.

From what I can tell it’s almost always when a sim cant perform their command because their path is obstructed or the item doesn’t have enough space for them to use it.

Not sure what it means when another sims face is crossed out though.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited November 2022
    Carls Sims and The Sims Community are good sites if you have questions about pack details. I’m not sure if they cover things like thought bubbles though.

But the action your sim is doing most likely means something is blocking their way to where you are trying to send them. I think sims have to have half a square block to get around anything, ( like to get around a bed ). it used to be a full block, you need 2 or 3 blocks open in front of the refrigerator to use it, I believe 1 or 2 blocks in front for the stove/oven. You need a block or two in front of an indoor trash can. You have to make sure you have the right chairs for tables and desks, game tables, etc., that they click into spots. Sometimes it looks like a chair might click into a spot, but it doesn’t. Maybe it’s a living room chair instead of a kitchen or desk chair, even though it looks like it should fit.
    Some objects need to go in specific spots, like a sink on a certain type of counter to use it. There needs to be a certain amount of space between a sofa and a coffee table, for someone to walk by or be able to sit down. If you are putting objects ( that are useable ) on a surface, you need to know that it is made for that surface to use it. Like a coffee maker probably won’t be useable placed on an end table, or coffee table. If you put and object in front of or on a counter, they probably won’t be able to use that counter. To make food, they need an open counter, they won’t use a table for that.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited November 2022
    JustinB113 wrote: »

Not sure what it means when another sims face is crossed out though.

That means they don’t like that sim very much. At least that’s how I’ve always interpreted it. *

*Correction: they don’t agree with that sim”s behavior at that particular moment. For example, when my sim turns into a werebeast his face gets crossed out in the thought bubbles of bystanders . Apparently a werebeast transformation is not something one should do in public. I get it.
    Other unappreciated behaviors are farts or skinny dipping. Sims get triggered by that stuff. No surprise there.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    The arrow thing with shoes and the cross out sign means your sim can't access an object because something is in the way (this is called a routing issue). It can happen when you use the bb.moveobjects cheat. If the sim was going to have some kind of social action with another sim, they move, stop, and then do that head shake and thought bubble with the other sim's picture crossed out, it might be because of a routing issue too. Just move the object back to fix the routing. Also, dont be discouraged from using bb.moveobjects cheat! You just have to be mindful of where you place objects. Always test things out to make sure your sims can access and use them (this is called playtesting) Placing objects where you want can really add charm to a build. Keep an eye out for #playtested or #playtest in the description box of lots and rooms on the Gallery. This means the creator has playtested the build before sharing to the Gallery.

I build a lot of houses and rooms, msg me if you have any questions! (im sarabeth6701d on the gallery)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2022
    The Sims 4 Wiki is another site you can search. Often when googling a question, it's going to be one of the top links.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_4

You mentioned using the moveobjects cheat. It can't be used freely without caution. Useable objects need to be reached by sims and are likely to be blocked when you stack objects using the cheat. Thus the confusion and feet stomping. You'll notice green squares when placing things normally. Red squares when you can't. The system is there for a reason. Try rebuilding the kitchen without the cheat.

YouTubers like to build with moveobjects to make builds eye catching but the thing is they rarely ever play test them. When I use the moveobjects cheat it's only for decor sims can't interact with like plants. I never block usable items like appliances, plumbing, comfort objects. I have it turned off when placing those items that sims need to reach. If I really want to risk it then I make sure to play test.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • AlienTusksAlienTusks Posts: 194 Member
    @simgirl1010 Hello, and thanks for the link, I'm slightly aware of Carls guide, I been to the site a couple of times, and it appeared to go into details and be useful. But I will look more into the site maybe it has something I can use.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Hey, I will look into both of those links, thank you.

@SheriSim57 Hello Sheri, your info was helpful I wasn't aware of some of that stuff you mentioned, hmm the sims community I'll have to check into that. thanks.

@SimplyJen Hello, I've never heard of that fandom site I'll enjoy looking into it. Yea the playtesting is interesting...It reminds me not long ago I placed a house i liked from the gallery into a lot, and usually I check the lot in build mode to add pet stuff, or a kids room which is missing in quite a few builds you see on the gallery...well the lot was placed so that the main door was in an awkward spot, almost at the back of the lot, and there where bushes blocking the pathing to any door at all in several spots, obviously they did not playtest there lot. But it was a nice lot though besides that. Ok thanks for the response.

I have a question for all of you, well first let me say that I don't know if posting several @ in one post will work properly, I'll have to wait and see I guess but my question is how does bookmarking work, I see there's a little bookmarking symbol beside your profile at top.?. thanks for your time and answers.

• DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member
    If you want to do some building going through this thread gives guides to build unique things as well as regular building tips in the sims 4.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/796520/building-tips-and-tutorials-ruthless-kk-build-guide-link-too/p1
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    You may have to gut your kitchen and start the makeover again. Something is blocking your Sims' path. It's irritating but it happens. Irritating because they manage to clip through just about everything else, but one little insignificant thing we can't see blocks their path. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    @GalacticGal I feel you on that, the game has so many little bugs and glitches. I actually already re did much of my house, the purely decorative stuff that was not close to an item that a sim can interact with I still used move objects but for any item that you use or interact with I turned off the cheat and moved objects normally, I clicked on many objects to make sure they were green instead of red in build mode, and removed a small portion of pictures, furnishings and decor that I could do without. I sold the entire table and all the chairs in the dining room which is where the blockage was occurring and placed a brand new one with new chairs. I deleted the rug that was under my table just in case. So far things have been ok but I haven't had a good chance to playtest much yet.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    @GalacticGal I feel you on that, the game has so many little bugs and glitches. I actually already re did much of my house, the purely decorative stuff that was not close to an item that a sim can interact with I still used move objects but for any item that you use or interact with I turned off the cheat and moved objects normally, I clicked on many objects to make sure they were green instead of red in build mode, and removed a small portion of pictures, furnishings and decor that I could do without. I sold the entire table and all the chairs in the dining room which is where the blockage was occurring and placed a brand new one with new chairs. I deleted the rug that was under my table just in case. So far things have been ok but I haven't had a good chance to playtest much yet.

I believe I read something once that one player discovered something in the basement was the cause of the blockage. I hope someone else who read the same thing can come verify this, however. So strange that we can't see ourselves what's blocking the path of a Sim. Personally, I never use MOO to place items. If I can't make something fit 'naturally' I don't use the object.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • collmarMcollmarM Posts: 24 Member
    > @AlienTusks said:
    > Does anyone know of any websites or places to go on computer that give detailed guides of Sims 4. I mean like what each icon that pops up above a sims head means. See recently I made some changes to my kitchen using the move objects cheat, and afterward sims are being unable to do actions (not all the time but sometimes) and what happens is they stop what they're doing and wave their hand in the air and a little thought bubble appears over their head with an image of two feet or shoes and a red box with an exclamation point in it. I know that something is hindering them from doing an action. But anyway, I'm looking for a site that explains all these little details like what I just mentioned for example and more, anyone have any suggestions on this subject...OH, and I'm on Xbox, I posted in the PC discussion because this question is not really console specific, and more people are in the PC discussion so I can get more opinions.... thank you

In reference to your question about the 2 footprints means that they are not able to reach it or use the item. If you are using moveobjects in your game and you get this from your sims. It has an easy fix, Go into build mode and use bb.move objects on move the one object that your sim can not get into or use. Try moving it slightly to the left, right, back, or forward. Once you position it just so. Go back to live mode and try again. It sometimes happens. Enjoy the game!
    @collmarM Thanks, I was pretty sure that it meant something was blocking or stopping them from doing an action. But I didn't know what action they were trying to perform; it was during some type of party I was having and there was a lot of people in the Kitchen at the time. I've already done pretty much what you're suggesting because the issue is happening in other places in my house, so I went into build mode turned the cheat off and checked many different objects to see that they were green instead of red. I only use move objects if it's on clutter and that if it's not directly beside an object that a sim might interact with...If it's an object a sim interacts with, I make sure that its properly placed and that nothing is inside its grid. But anyway, my game, especially my lot is so bugged, and sim interaction and pet interactions and other stuff are so bugged that at this point I'm going to reinstall my game and content and try to use what I've learned to create a better situation next time around. thanks for the assistance and for your time.
  • collmarMcollmarM Posts: 24 Member
    @collmarM Thanks, I was pretty sure that it meant something was blocking or stopping them from doing an action. But I didn't know what action they were trying to perform; it was during some type of party I was having and there was a lot of people in the Kitchen at the time. I've already done pretty much what you're suggesting because the issue is happening in other places in my house, so I went into build mode turned the cheat off and checked many different objects to see that they were green instead of red. I only use move objects if it's on clutter and that if it's not directly beside an object that a sim might interact with...If it's an object a sim interacts with, I make sure that its properly placed and that nothing is inside its grid. But anyway, my game, especially my lot is so bugged, and sim interaction and pet interactions and other stuff are so bugged that at this point I'm going to reinstall my game and content and try to use what I've learned to create a better situation next time around. thanks for the assistance and for your time.

You're most welcome. If you have a lot of Sims in one room sometimes your Sim will signal and wave over their heads. That means they are not able to reach where you sent them due to an obstacle such as another Sim standing in the same spot he/she needs to go. It is not always a misplaced object that you get that response from your Sim. I hope you continue to enjoy the game as much as I do. :)