Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help for a young simmer

CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
I'm hoping some wonderful simmers can help me! My daughter is a huge Sims 4 fan (I'm still stubbornly in the Sims 3 camp) and has asked for one or two new expansions for her Christmas. She already has Seasons, University, Get Together as well as Knitting, Parenthood and Spa Day stuff packs. Any particular recommendations or anything we should stay away from because it's a buggy mess?
My young simmer doesn't have a particular play style, she just loves to play and is happy to have new content.
Thank you!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    High school years and Cottage living have great CAS and BB items. I haven’t heard of them being a buggy mess.
    Is worth mentioning the packs are on sale right now too.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,340 Member
    Cottage Living is great, it has one minor bug (only orange pumpkins can be canned, not green or white ones) and animal transfer between stables can sometimes be glitchy, but otherwise fun gameplay with a beautiful world.

Maybe also one of the vacation packs (Snowy Escape EP or Island Living EP or Jungle Adventures GP)?

Regarding stuff packs I'm partial towards Backyard stuff, Laundry Day and Paranormal. The latter two are opt in, you won't have to deal with laundry or haunted houses if you do not put related objects/lots. Backyard stuff is simply bright and cheerful, nothing big gameplay wise, but would go well with the Parenthood aesthetic. If your daughter prefers grunge aesthetic, Eco Lifestyle, Get to work and Werewolves are worth a look.

Normally I'd suggest building your own bundle (1 EP, 1 GP and 1 SP of your choice, you get the GP for "free" in this case), but several packs are on sale right now, so bundling might not be the best option at the moment.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,372 Member
    A couple of my favorites are Cottage Living and Snowy Escape.
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    edited November 2022
    I can thoroughly recommend Island Living if she likes mermaids! The visuals and colourful build/buy items and clothes are also fun.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,873 Member
    Cottage Living is my to go too, then Snowy Escape or Island Living, depends does she like more beach- or snowactivities :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    If she likes animals, besides cottage living, Pets would be great too!
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2022
    One town that I love is Moonwood Mill, it is a small world but has no loading screen, other than going into the different lots. This world came in the Werewolf Game Pack. There are not many lots, but the community lots have been combined, for example, there is a gym behind the library. One thing I love to do is to have my sim interact with the world, meaning they can walk, jog around, or ride their bike.

With Expansion Packs, my top favorite is Cottage Living, love the town as well, and the wildlife and farm animals that came with it.

With Stuff Packs, my top favorite is Tiny Living.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,848 Member
    Hi and welcome @CherbitDip and daughter :)
    My daughter and I enjoy simming together too.
    What age is your daughter?
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited November 2022
    I would mostly concur with the recommendations people above have already said. My personal favourites that I think would be great for a kid also would be Island Living, then Cottage Living, then Snowy Escape. (For the BIG packs)
    The medium packs, Realm of Magic would be great for kids I think. Alot of (literally) awesome fantasy type stuff in it. The duels are mainly for fun.
    Since she has parenting already, getting the Kids room Stuff and/or Toddler Stuff (For the small packs)

Probably may want to avoid Vampires and Werewolves. Vampires especially can be creepy and disturbing. Being 'assaulted' by blood-sucking vampires. Or bitten and all that. ;)

Oh, for kit packs, stay away from Bust the Dust. It forces you to have to vacuum or whatever everywhere constantly. It can be a game-breaker.
    If she really wants to do vacuuming and sweeping, get her to have fun doing that in your real home, heh heh! ;):D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,487 Member
    Welcome Aboard @CherbitDip I love Cottage Living and in terms of a vacation spot, I like Sulani and Snowy Escape. However Snowy Escape has some issues, as yet unresolved. I caution against Cats & Dogs, only because the pet takes up a Sim slot in the household. I'm really sorry they did it this way. Hope we've helped in some minor way. Have a happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,634 Member
    I would recommend High School Years and Cats and Dogs for a younger player. Nether are significantly buggy that I know of. Island Living might also be of interest, if she likes a tropical vibe. All of the worlds in those packs are really nice. HSY has school, an amusement park and thrift fashion, Cats and Dogs has a nice coastal world with the veterinarian career, and Island Living has mermaids and a environmentalist career, as well.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I think they're all generally okay. Could you read the descriptions together and let her pick what she wants?
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2022
    It's depend on what she like. I like having a lot of choices for playing, so I would recommend :

For family gameplay : High School Years (go well with Discover University and Parenthood) / Cats & Dogs (animals + vet clinic) / Cottage living (animals + gardening + canning + cross-stitch).

For fantasy stuff : Vampires (skills tree + aspirations + gothic BB) / Realms of Magic (skill tree + aspirations + art nouveau/art & craft BB + spellcasters world and ''magic school'') / Paranormal (go well with RoM / spirits and paranormal investigator career)/ Werewolfs (skill tree + aspirations + grungy BB) / Island living (mermaids + summer vibes + polynesian BB) / Get to Work (aliens + 3 active careers + retails (Can do a lot like bookstore, gallery (painting/photography), clothing, furnitures, electronics, bakery, flower shop (the flower arranging that come with Seasons), crafts shop (knitting, cross-stitch), selling collectibles like grocery/fish market), paranormal/witchy shop, etc.).

Others : Tiny living (It's fun to find creative way to build tiny.)
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Assuming your daughter isn't like 4 or something, if she's at least 8 or so. There's nothing actually scary about the vampire pack and ut offers a lot of fantasy gameplay bang for the buck. Lilith and Caleb Catore are a brother and sister who are kind of set up as the "nice" vampires of the game, with a light Victorian Gothic color scheme house, and all they seem to do is sit and play chess together. They are super friendly. The other vampire is Vlad who lives alone in a suitably dark and Gothic manor house and he's a loner who love playing his pipe organ and greets every new Sim with some welcome message and a "nice neck you have there" message.

Mileage appears to vary a lot for whether you get any nightly visits after the first one and for my games, most of the time, instead of feeding on a sleeping Sim, Vlad (or more rarely Caleb or Lilith) would sit there watching TV or playing on the computer or reading books, or cleaning the house, then leave...or worse, stand outside all night, waiting yo be let in, then keave.

Suffice it to say, the vampire pack offers cool Victorian decorating and building options and some fun fantasy, but has been so de-fanged that it's almost a joke. It's cutesy, not creepy.so if she likes magic type stuff or Halloween aesthetics or the storyline of the apologetic Vegetarian vampire who would rather drink plasma fruit (Caleb) it's harmless fun.

I haven't tried the werewolf pack myself but from reviews it appears as silly and free of anything remotely scary. Not a selling point for me, personally, but pretty much everything in sims4 is geared to be child-level amusement.

So nice that you can enjoy this with her! 😀
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    For expansion I’d say Cottage living. The items are really good and with the bunnies and the animals and the little village I would say it’s probably top choice for a young girl. Cats and Dogs, Island Living and High School years would be good for kids too.

For game packs, from the other packs she has maybe she would like outdoor retreat. There’s more modern ones with more content but I think this has a charm that captivated a lot of people when it came out. Most the game packs are either occult’s or bugged. This one is just a nice little vacation pack to take sims camping. If she’d be into occult’s though, then most of those packs are highly rated. Dine out and wedding stories are known to be buggy.

For Stuff packs Paranormal, Laundry Day and if she likes building Tiny Living are very good value for money and would be a nice gift along with an expansion. Bowling can be fun too.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on
  • grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member
    Jungle Adventures is one of my favourite packs - I enjoy playing the tombs & finding the artefacts.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2022
    They are ALL GOOD so it's hard to say. I won't say much because a lot of people went into really good detailed suggestions.
    But I think she would have a lot of fun with Island Living and Cottage living. Cottage living will keep you busy for hours farming 🚜. Goes nicely with laundry day.
    And Island living is still one of the most beautiful packs out there.
    If she wants something fantasy you can't go wrong with any of the occult packs.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I agree with Cottage Living, Island Living and Cats and Dogs. Brindleton Bay is one of my favorite neighborhoods! Cottage Living if would enjoy farming, canning, and the animals. Having a cow, chickens and llama is so much fun and she can choose which animals she wants or if wants them all. I love that you can befriend the bunnies, foxes and birds as well! If she is an animal lover then definitely Cats and Dogs is a good fit. A pet takes up a slot, but is worth it for me as I have pets in real life and want my sims to enjoy them as well. The Veterinarian job is fun and challenging. If she likes mermaids then Island Living is also a great pack. I use it as a vacation spot sometimes but enjoy living there as well. I like the new jobs as a conservationist or marine biology and it added other jobs as well including fisherman, diving and life guard. I also like being able to make friends with a dolphin! I also agree that Paranormal and being a medium is alot of fun, and Jungle Adventure with the archeology job is great as well if your daughter likes to explore. The ability to have haunted houses came with Paranormal but I would only pick that one if she has an interest in the paranormal. You can check the packs you think she will like on Youtube gameplay videos to help you decide if each pack is something you think she will like. Good luck and trust your instincts as you know her best!
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,846 Member
    I like all sims and if she just likes new and you're fine in reality anything she is missing could be good. I have seen some bugs others have mentioned but generally looking critically many "bugs" end up being very minor inconveniences. Highschool is enjoyable, oddly enough, and realm of magic is still worth a look maybe look at a trailer to decide for her to be sure though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Like others I’d rank as follows for young players:

1. Cats and Dogs
    2. Cottage Living
    3. High School
    4. Get Famous
    5. Get to Work (great immersive gameplay)

Island Living is pretty and fun for vacation but the gameplay is shallow.

For great value Paranormal stuff pack is amazing gameplay for the cost.

Stay away from Dine Out and My Wedding Stories because they are forever broken.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    As a child of a sims player I get this. Highschool Years is fun, so is Cottage Living. If she's interested in making the game realistic, Laundry Day is a good choice. Does she like twilight or other vampire movies? If so Vampires and/or Werewolves is a good idea. I do not recommend Get To Work, it is really weird, not buggy, just weird. It was one of the first packs I got, and I don't use it much. Unless she is like really into aliens it's not really worth it.
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    My daughter is my Simming buddy. I asked her what she would recommend, and she picked Cats and Dogs (she loves the pets, and we both like Brindleton Bay) and/or Cottage Living (she also loves Henford-on-Bagley and its atmosphere).

She also said "It's really hard to go wrong, though." I would agree.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    My daughter is my Simming buddy. I asked her what she would recommend, and she picked Cats and Dogs (she loves the pets, and we both like Brindleton Bay) and/or Cottage Living (she also loves Henford-on-Bagley and its atmosphere).

She also said "It's really hard to go wrong, though." I would agree.
    Those are the ones I would have chosen, along with Snowy Escape cos the sledding, skiing and snowboarding etc are good fun.
  • CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! Settled on Cats & Dogs, Cottage Living and Island Living. That should keep her entertained for a while :D
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @CherbitDip Those are great choices! Island Living is fun, too.
    @elanorbreton I somehow thought @CherbitDip and daughter had it already. I must have misread. :)
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top