Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is a BIG program!

ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
When I went to install the previous pack a few weeks ago, I got a message that there was not enough space on the drive to install it. I had to pick a couple of programs to uninstall in order to install the pack. I have a 256GB SSD and I am down to 3 of my favorite games since uninstalling two of my other favorites.
Today, my daughter called saying she is having the same problem. She had to begrudgingly uninstall one of her favorite games to make room for the last two kits.
I am glad to hear that EA is working on the next iteration of the Sims because, frankly, I just don’t have room for any more Sims 4!
How many of you are having the same problem?

UPDATE: I solved my problem by getting a 2TB SSD. 😁
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
Post edited by ehaught58 on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    edited November 2022
    Don't think I'll run into that problem. 512GB with 238GB free.

Have you considered moving the game to an external hard drive?

ETA: Or replace the hard drive if that's feasible?
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    eHaught, nice to see you! I have a TB of hard drive space so I have no issue, even after the 52 packs I have so far, or is it 54. The only suggestion is to get 2nd hard drive for master/slave setup. I don't know if they even do that nowadays, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    The perk of having a desktop is that I can keep adding more internal drives. In the past when I needed more space I waited for SSDs to go on sale.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Same here. Went and got an ssd put in along with my 1TB of hard drive space. While my desktop has plenty of room, it lacks in other areas as I've upgraded it as far as I can and it will need to be replaced within the next couple years. So I'm glad the new sims game is a few years out.

I'm with ya though, I am so ready for a new Sims game. I still like Sims 4 but I'm ready for the next gen in this game along with the next gen tech.

I have all but the high-school expansion and the pet stuff pack, but i do plan on getti g HSY when it goes on a decent sale. However, when it comes to kit I only have a couple. While I do like certain items in those kits, there is alot of similar items in game already so I just can't bring myself to buy them all.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    edited November 2022
    Yeah I feel like I am maybe starting to run out of space since MWS that would explain a lot

I don't know if its my SSD lacking too but I thought it might be my RAM since I only have 8 and computer seems to struggle a little with more visually intense worlds like Tartosa when I play ultra as I do because I do not want to give that up :lol:

I do have most of the packs
    just not batuu or hsy
    and also not most of the stuff pack and kit

I want some more packs but I feel like I am going to need to upgrade computer first
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Well, it is an 8 year old game with lots of packs/kits.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    eHaught, nice to see you! I have a TB of hard drive space so I have no issue, even after the 52 packs I have so far, or is it 54. The only suggestion is to get 2nd hard drive for master/slave setup. I don't know if they even do that nowadays, lol.

@bshag4lv yes, people still add second drives 🙂. I have a 256gb that came with laptop & added a 526gb as a secondary.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I hoard data on my PC... o:)

My Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    CPU: AMD Wraith Stealth (Stock)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
    RAM: 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws V
    GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 Ti
    PSU: 650W EVGA GQ
    NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot): 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
    NVMe M.2 SSD #2: 1TB Samsung 980
    2.5 SSD #1: 128GB SanDisk
    HDD #1: 2TB Western Digital Black
    HDD #2: 2TB Toshiba
    Case: NZXT H510

So I have about 5.7TB of space. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    edited November 2022
    Used space 498 GB
    Free space 1.33 TB

I have second drive for Windows
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited November 2022
    Looks like the base game has a recommended disc space requirement of 25GB and my Sims 4 folder with all packs are right now around 53GB (I don't have all packs) so they have added at least 28GB of content, but we are talking about 8 years of content... My save games and mods brings that up to around 70GB.

The Sims 4 is installed on a NVME M2. SSD which is around 1TB on my gaming desktop PC. It's a drive that is small, really fast and not too expensive either. I heavily recommend getting a laptop with an M.2 slot if you are looking to upgrade for the future.

• ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Don't think I'll run into that problem. 512GB with 238GB free.

Have you considered moving the game to an external hard drive?

ETA: Or replace the hard drive if that's feasible?

I have been trying to avoid using an external hd because I want my game to run as fast and efficiently as possible. Using an external hd will run a little slower. I decided to install a 2 TB ssd when my wife gives it to me for Christmas, so that will solve my problem. However, I am feeling sorry for my daughter as she is not able to do the same, and I am sure there are several people out there who are in the same boat.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Indeed. My friend who is interested in The Sims 4 complained that her computer doesn't have space for this game.

And she was excited because it became free...
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited November 2022
    When the Sims 4 first arrived, I was a bit leery of Origin, having heard various bad things about it. Around the same time, I'd had a hard drive gradually die on me. I replaced it with a 2TB (mechanical) hard drive and partitioned it so that origin had it's own little O: drive to mess around in. I figured if I needed to, I could just format that chunk of the drive without disrupting the remainder of the drive. It's worked really well so far, and some time later, I cloned the entire drive onto a 2TB SSD.
    Solid state drive prices have plummeted in the last ten years, along with their size and reliability both going up. A great investment, just do your homework and get a decent brand that you trust.

I would also echo @logion's comment re: M2 slots. I'm looking at bits for a new computer soon, and a motherboard with that slot on it is on my "must have" list.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Used space 498 GB
    Free space 1.33 TB

I have second drive for Windows

About the same for me.
    Still, I resist putting The Sims 3 back on, more out of laziness than storage.
    All those packs, CC, and Store Content. :p
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Listen to @Colton147147, a year back or so, helped me with what I wanted to upgrade my desktop so I could play without having so much lag.

My game was beginning in to load and lag a bit with all the packs. I upgraded the power bank, Ram, and installed the ssd, and added a better graphics card. Granted it took me a bit to be able to afford it all but it will hold me over until I can afford a new one. The fame does have a lot of packs and because of that there will be some delays in it if your PC isn't up to the task. Plus there were other games I was wanting to play and I knew without the upgrades I would have to sacrifice something and I have put to much time, money, and love in my games to sacrifice them.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I'm not having a problem, yet. I have used 156 GB, with 774 GB free remaining. Sorry to hear you're having to sacrifice programs for space.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    have you tryed installing the game on your d: drive
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I always try my best to make sure every type of PC I bought .Rather it was laptop or computer.I am sure to make it least have 1 tb.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    As I stated above, I am installing a 2TB SSD to take care of the problem.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2022
    Really ?

Origin Games\The Sims 4 : 60 GB (Basegame + 60 packs)
    Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 : 3 GB (My saved data)

Of course if you have tons of screenshots/videos, savegames, library content and CC/Mod, it can use a lot of diskspace.

• Mass Effect Legendary Edition : 109 GB
    • Cyberpunk 2077 : 70 GB
    • Detroit Become Human : 60 GB
    • Life Is Strange 2 : 40 GB
    • The Sims 3 : 40 GB (Basegame + 20 packs + Store content)
    • The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection : 14 GB
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Ark: Survival Evolved - 240 GB. And that's just the free content...
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2022
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,011 Member
    I took a look at some of my game folders. Here are a few of my currently installed games. Some have more mods than others and/or use a mod organizer program. Lots of separate backup folders for everything too. Most of this sits on my second 2 TB drive.
    • Sims 4--53.6 GB
    • Skyrim Special Edition (Anniversary)--16.2 GB
    • Fallout 4--35 GB
    • Fallout New Vegas--14.6
    • The Witcher 3--55.8
    • Mass Effect 3--22.1 GB

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    I used to have a full disc problem, but then I manually deleted lots of long gone stuff that included huge non TS4 files, duplicates, downloads and videos etc, and my current situation is 311 GB free of 905 GB total. I'm still aware of performance issues if I forget being strict on what I add, so I try keeping the screenshots folder under control, and also make sure to delete zip files after installing CC etc. It's so easy to fill up space with random pieces unintentionally. A good clean up - back -up routine is needed even when having 311 GB free.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2022
    Programs are getting larger one must keep up with that by acquiring bigger drives. Also, it helps if you are done with a game take it off.
    Ark: Survival Evolved - 240 GB. And that's just the free content...

Very huge game and the updates are huge adding to the size as well but luckily, I have huge hard drives to hold it all.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen