Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New update today (22 Nov.)?

After starting the EA App some minutes ago, the game demanded a rather long update which I did. But I don't find any information in the download manager ... Any ideas?

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    There is a surprise patch today, it’s being reported on twitter
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Great :) Thanks for the info.
    Ok, that's necessary, but completely boring ...
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Ok, that's necessary, but completely boring ...

The gallery filter was the November sims twitter outrage selection of the month due to some uploaded gallery sims that angered them.
    So I'm assuming this is just more strict filtering.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Okay, but now I'm really curious what that "totally unacceptable content" was.

I just hope they didn't make the list of forbidden words any longer. It's hard enough as it is to write a bio without accidentally including a word that means something terrible in some foreign language I've never even heard...
    edited November 2022

I just hope they didn't make the list of forbidden words any longer. It's hard enough as it is to write a bio without accidentally including a word that means something terrible in some foreign language I've never even heard...

I guess we saw an example with a certain German dictator some days ago here. Really terrible, I hope they block uploads like this now.

It was pretty much because of this, disgusting things that were being uploaded
    https://simscommunity.info/2022/11/16/the-sims-4s-online-gallery-has-a-huge-issue-with-fascism/
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Ah! I was wondering what that was all about and now I know why and what that was all about.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member

There were “African-American sims” with the title “Black Tattooed” and then the bad word opposite of “Indentured servants”.

It was pretty messy and overall racist. Considering African Americans were enslaved. I hope I don’t get a warning for this.
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I’m impressed they did this so fast! I never saw anything like that since I wasn’t on this weekend but I know people were upset. I’m glad they got this fixed.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Thank you for your replies, @alanmichael1, @SelinaKyles and @HimRumi. I haven't been playing or reading the forums a lot lately, so I didn't even notice any of that, but now I'm glad I missed it. Disgusting!
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Unfortunately, this kind of content has been added to the Gallery for years and reports have been filed. The team looking at removing this type of content should also monitor hashtags since there are some that are also offensive.
  • Harry2020Harry2020 Posts: 8 New Member
    This is good--I did not see any of this and I'm glad. I mean, I get annoyed sometimes at the "Come look at my builds" comment, or the occasional "that's ugly" comment when someone gets a Maxis fave, but never anything over the top like what was being reported.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    LOL, a "small" update?
    6 Gigs is not that small.
    And why the game when it's only for gallery loads?

Oh well, update in progress.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    LOL, a "small" update?
    6 Gigs is not that small.
    And why the game when it's only for gallery loads?

Oh well, update in progress.

I agree... a strangely large update for the Gallery. I was surprised when the update took 10 minutes to download, which seems like a more substantial update.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    And.
    After all that, when I logged to the gallery, NOT a thing did I notice had changed.

Maybe it's because I don't use nasty hashtags like those reported!

Either way, Much ado about nothing.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    And.
    After all that, when I logged to the gallery, NOT a thing did I notice had changed.

They probably just added code to prevent future garbage from being added.
    They still have to go through the gallery and remove the stuff, and hopefully the players.

Also, for the post above, the update wasn't 6 GB, it just calculated the total size of the game before downloading around 300 MBs or so.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »
    And.

Also, for the post above, the update wasn't 6 GB, it just calculated the total size of the game before downloading around 300 MBs or so.

Yup, it was small it downloaded asap
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    edited November 2022
    Was worried the patch may mess up game-play for awhile.
    If this is what it's about, blocking that kind of "stuff", then I'm in favour of it, and will allow the patch to download right away.

EDIT: The patch is 405.62 MB.
    (About the equivalent of 290 floppy disks worth. 3 1/4 in) :p
    Post edited by Admiral8Q on
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    So what does this meen, limitations in creating Sims?! Like if I want to make fun of some old tyrrant, will that be possible or will it be stopped for the risk of someone somewhere will be offended?! It reminds me of that old saying about writing about sewing needles and the risk of offending one eyed people.
    Peral wrote: »
    So what does this meen, limitations in creating Sims?! Like if I want to make fun of some old tyrrant, will that be possible or will it be stopped for the risk of someone somewhere will be offended?! It reminds me of that old saying about writing about sewing needles and the risk of offending one eyed people.
    People were uploading racist content, as long as it not racist you could still upload whatever you want
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    edited November 2022
    Peral wrote: »

This isn’t about our personal game. It’s about the Gallery and user generated content. Those type of uploads are already against EAs terms of service. They’ve been getting worse, so they put more protection on. If you want to create something for your own game that’s your business. If you want to upload it to the Gallery, just don’t violate the TOS and you’ll be fine.

https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
    Post edited by cyncie on