Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Luz Story: 100 Baby Challenge

Luz Story: 100 Baby Challenge

Hello everyone!

I have begun a 100 Baby Challenge with this lovely Sim here: Lianna Luz

HyFgF8q.png

Lianna has a unique backstory that I would love to share with you all. She will be living in one of my favorite worlds, Sulani!

I have played this challenge once before but never finished it, so I am excited to start it again and post the progress here :smile:

Comments

• SamiNY623SamiNY623 Posts: 128 Member
    edited November 2022

Lianna's Backstory: Part One

While this story isn’t about Lianna, she is the product of it. Before getting to know Lianna Luz, let’s learn her backstory. Meet her parents…

This handsome spellcaster is Dante Luz.

AxUlSB9.png

This beautiful mermaid is Kalani Kahananui.

23xalAm.png

And a little background info on the world:
    20 Years Earlier…
    In a world where magic exists, but is rare, spellcaster Sims live in the far corners of civilization, in mysterious, mystical places like Forgotten Hollow and Glimmerbrook.

After the spellcaster population began to grow exponentially hundreds of years ago, these special Sims decided to create a portal to the mortal realm in an effort to expand. The dark, gloomy town of Forgotten Hollow, inhabited by wealthy vampires, was where the portal opened. Naturally, conflict ensued between the two powerful groups, but after several decades the two groups learned to live peacefully, tolerating one another.

As time went on, the spellcaster families who first settled Forgotten Hollow grew in wealth and power. An elite society emerged, with rules and expectations similar in many ways to those of a long-past time, including marriages arranged by parents for power or wealth, keeping bloodlines “pure” and “strong,” and not marrying outside one’s class, or heaven forbid marrying a mortal.

Dante's Story...

Dante Luz was the son of Camilla and Tobias Luz, both powerful spellcasters and prominent members of elite society. Stunningly handsome, Dante was a ladies’ man from a young age. His parents were not shy about their expectations for his future: marry a spellcaster from the same elite society they belonged to, one who was powerful and wealthy. Camilla Luz’s strong bloodline was not going to be muddled. However, Dante was not thrilled with having his life planned out for him. He had no interest in being a stuffy aristocrat, closed off from the rest of the world in this gloomy corner of it. He dreamed of traveling all over, of experiencing all that life has to offer. Settling down with one woman was not something he was ready for or desired, especially if that woman was chosen for him by his parents out of the other elitist families in his hometown. While Tobias, Dante’s father, was more understanding, having felt similarly as a young man, his mother would not hear of it. Camilla wanted one thing from Dante: for him to continue the legacy of his family. She pushed Dante in the direction she wanted him to go, brushing off his desires and dreams as frivolous. Dante often butted heads with his family, and all throughout his teenage years he rebelled. He still felt a duty to respect his parents’ wishes, but struggled with reconciling that with his dreams.

Kalani's Story...

Kalani was an island girl through and through. Although she lost her parents when she was a child, the island land of Sulani and its close-knit community raised her, and she never felt alone. An outgoing and cheery woman, she was became fast friends with everyone and knew all of the happenings in Sulani. She spent her life focusing on the present, and enjoyed living in the moment. Kalani did not have any grand plans for her future, as she was content to live among the natural beauty of Sulani for the forseeable future. She did not have much money to her name, but she didn't see a need for it. Her home on the water, her friends, and the wonderful gifts that the island gave was more than enough for her. Kalani was a mermaid, and hiding this fact never even crossed her mind. While magic and occults were certainly not common, the people of Sulani knew the "myths" were very real...mermaids had happily existed in the island land for centuries. Being a mermaid did not affect Kalani's ability to connect with her people, and if you had not seen her flipping her iridescent tail through Sulani's blue waters, you would likely have no idea that she was not a human.

Little did these two know that their worlds would collide in a life-changing way...

• EA_MariEA_Mari Posts: 206 EA Community Manager
    Wow, I am loving it so far! Super well written, this combination of challenge & story definitely captured my attention and Im looking forward to see what happens next!
    EA_Mari wrote: »
    Wow, I am loving it so far! Super well written, this combination of challenge & story definitely captured my attention and Im looking forward to see what happens next!

Thank you so much for the shoutout! I'm so glad you are enjoying it so far.
  • franka44021franka44021 Posts: 125 Member
    Love this background story, very well written and can't wait to read more! I, too, have never finished the hundred baby challenge, so I am hoping your shared story will give me some help. Thanks for sharing.
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,094 Member
    I’m going to bookmark this thread. I’m loving the story so far!

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments! I'm so glad you're enjoying the story so far. I love writing Sims stories but I have never shared them with anyone else, so it truly means a lot to me.

I think I am going to use spoilers for most pictures, that way the thread doesn't get bogged down (I take a lot of screenshots in-game and would love to share them)! I may do this with chapters in the future too, but for the backstory I don't think it is necessary!

Lianna's Backstory: Part Two

There is one more integral character to introduce, although she is not related to Lianna.
    Meet Kyera Youngblood…

Kyera’s Story

0ivWpd5.png

From the time her powers began to manifest, it was clear that Kyera was a very gifted spellcaster. As a little girl she had abilities that many Sims didn’t acquire until their teen years. While raw power was not an issue for Kyera, controlling her spellcasting did seem to prove challenging, likely stemming from the sheer power she possessed at a young age. Her parents, Ethalia and Edward Youngblood, were very proud of their gifted daughter. While they both came from average spellcasting lines, the family was extremely wealthy. They pushed Kyera to continue their legacy, while strengthening it with her powers and the gifted children she would surely have. To ensure this happened, though, that meant Kyera needed to not only marry “within her class,” but also marry a spellcaster whose power could rival her own. Kyera was raised with this ideal her entire life – she knew nothing else and believed this was her destiny.

We will begin this story by focusing in on Kyera and learning a little bit more about this wildly powerful spellcaster.

Kyera Youngblood confidently swirled her hand through the air, admiring the sparks and lights tracing her movements. She felt the power surging through her, releasing from her fingertips and escaping into the air. While other 18 year olds were partying with friends, weighing university decisions, or deciding what path to go down in life, Kyera stayed within the walls of her family’s ancestral home. That home just happened to be a stone mansion, equipped with all sorts of magical trinkets and devices. Here in Forgotten Hollow, the Youngbloods had risen to the top of the elite spellcaster society. Their power and wealth could be traced back several generations, back to when the foreign spellcasters and native vampires of the region battled fiercely for control. Hundreds of years later, the two groups had learned to live in relative harmony, which mostly meant they stayed out of each other’s affairs.
    8DAhqb4.png

As Kyera played with the tiniest fraction of her magical ability, her mother, Ethalia, stirred a sophisticated potion in their antique cauldron. Edward, Kyera’s father, was back in Glimmerbrook at the Spellcaster Headquarters, attending a meeting of some of the most powerful and elite spellcasters currently alive.
    Rn5MRau.png

The family frequently hosted dinner parties with their elitist chums, so Kyera knew most of the higher society spellcasters. Her closest friend though was a spellcaster who lived in Glimmerbrook, and was by no means “wealthy.” Grace Anansi was an orphan who was making her own way in the world. The two had become close at a young age, since they both attended magic lessons from one of the greatest sages Glimmerbrook had ever known: Morgyn Ember. As the sage of Untamed Magic, he was arguably the most powerful spellcaster alive. Morgyn taught only the best of the best – those who showed exceptional promise and talent from a very young age – and Kyera was firmly at the top of that list. While a little sheltered from being homeschooled her entire life, she shined brighter than anyone at her tri-weekly magic lessons.
    Tl2xVVv.png
    JiQzDtV.png
    dY4pI75.png

Kyera was also quite close with her mentor, Morgyn. He took a liking to her from an early age, and thought of her as his prized student, someone who would make him proud one day. Kyera wasn’t just gifted – she was frighteningly powerful. She learned the spell infernio – a high-level spell that allows the caster to set anything ablaze – as a young teenager, and could be found sneaking around at night turning bushes in her neighborhood to ash. Most sims gifted with magic don’t have the ability to learn such a spell until well into young adulthood. She dominated in class duels; even when she did not win, it was always because the opponent took advantage of her intense fighting style and used their mind to outwit her. In a straight power-to-power match, there was no match.
    yYamSWV.png
    xzdng4c.png

Kyera’s raw power was off the charts. It was her control of that power that needed help. Morgyn strived to teach her to control every ounce of power that she possessed, but Untamed Magic comes from raw emotion, unlike the Alchemy her mother mastered and the Practical Magic her father was adept in. The other schools of magic were far easier to control, all stemming from intellectual ability (with the exception of Mischief Magic, which is exactly as it sounds.) But Kyera was an emotional girl. She was quick-tempered, easily angered and very excitable. Teaching someone like that to control Untamed Magic was about as impossible as one might imagine – the untamed nature of such magic is precisely why Kyera was gifted with it. Morgyn was a Virtuoso in Untamed Magic, considered the highest rank a spellcaster can achieve. He was chosen by a council of his peers to become the sage of this school, teaching others gifted like himself how to be as great as he was. But Morgyn had spent years learning the art of control. Kyera, on the other hand, was a teenage girl with no firm grasp of the weight of her intense powers.
    lIgTYzK.png
    zeUbXDK.png

Kyera had come of age, and her parents were intensely focused on finding her a suitable match. The frequency of sophisticated soirees hosted by the Youngbloods was increasing, not that Kyera minded. She was as excited about finding her "soulmate" as her parents were.

edited November 2022

Lianna's Backstory: Part Three

Dante’s family was on vacation again, this time in the tropical paradise called Sulani. When you have more money than you know what to do with, frequent vacations are compulsory. While Camilla and Tobias soaked in the sunrays on lounge chairs at the beach club, sipping fruity drinks and being waited on hand and foot, Dante saw his opportunity to escape his parents’ oppression. Dante was one for living in the moment; traveling had become one of his favorite hobbies, primarily because it meant he got some time to just be himself and enjoy life.
    UUZWeqD.png

Dante spent the first few days of this getaway taking part in all of the island’s activities that he could; he snorkeled, scuba dove, and rode his jet ski around to the tiny atolls that dotted the coastline.
    79xT56T.png
    RwqeJjB.png

One afternoon as he was riding up to Sand Simolean Beach, Dante became entranced by the beautiful sound of a woman playing the guitar and singing an island ballad. As he walked up the beach to see where the music was coming from, he found the most beautiful woman he had ever seen creating this captivating music. Dante stumbled over to the woman and watched her play for at least half an hour, enchanted.
    MheOyhT.png

PS3VZMF.png

vMbxA0J.png

“Kalani,” the smiling woman introduces herself after playing her sixth song. Shaking his head as he breaks from the trance, he introduces himself back. By this point, he is the only person still watching her performance. The two begin making small talk, and Dante quickly regains the charm that is a staple of his personality. As Kalani offers him some fresh fish she grilled earlier, their conversation deepens from chitchat to actually getting to know one another. As they engage in witty banter and obvious flirting, the chemistry between them is palpable and they talk for so long that the sun begins to set.
    dWNWQHU.png

ArPaPQd.png

Kalani tells Dante that she needs to head home, and he feels despair at the thought of never seeing her again. He lets her know that he is here for another week and asks to meet her tomorrow. Kalani gives Dante her address and invites him for lunch the next day. Dante knows better than to use his magic out in public, but breaks the rule anyway and materializes a rose behind his back, offering it to the island girl with a suave “see you tomorrow, then.”

tietVtZ.png
    snmWB3D.png
    Post edited by SamiNY623 on
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    I’m going to bookmark this thread. I’m loving the story so far!

Thank you so much that means a lot!!!
    Love this background story, very well written and can't wait to read more! I, too, have never finished the hundred baby challenge, so I am hoping your shared story will give me some help. Thanks for sharing.

It can be so tricky to do, especially when you have a full household (and ESPECIALLY when there are several toddlers!)

Lianna's Backstory: Part Four

The next morning, Dante woke up with the sun, having been barely able to sleep the night before. He couldn’t stop thinking about Kalani, and wondering why he felt this way since he had never felt like this about a girl. He decided to go for an early morning swim to clear his head.
    XO0tEzt.png
    3HNFKnX.png

When Dante arrived back at their rented villa, his parents were awake and chatting in the living room.
    “Why are you up so early?” he questioned them; his parents were not early risers unless there was something important going on that day.
    “We are hosting our fundraiser event today, Dante. Don’t tell me you forgot,” his mother sighed with a mixture of aggravation and disappointment. He absolutely had forgotten, as Dante could not stand these stuffy formal events.
    “I had plans today mother!” Camilla raised an eyebrow at her son, and he quickly realized he did not want to share his actual plans with his family. “I was supposed to go free diving in Mua Pel’am with a couple of guys,” he lied. Although Dante was in his early 20’s, he was often treated like a teenager. His parents were very strict and very powerful, and this led to a family dynamic that meant he would be treated like a child until he moved out of their home.
    “Dante, I do not care what wild activities you had planned today. This is important. We cannot show up to a formal event missing someone from our family. How would that look?” Camilla scolded. Not wanting to put up too much of a fight for fear that his mother would catch on to what he was really doing, Dante nodded and retreated to his room to get dressed with a pit in his stomach.
    4hd88h4.png
    DhZ1wii.png
    pvOWIMw.png

Throughout the entire event, Dante anxiously watched the clock. He hated these fancy parties, and as his father schmoozed the guests and his mother gave a long speech, he drowned his boredom at the bar. The hours seemed to crawl by, and as it got later and later his anxiety grew. He felt something with Kalani, even after only spending a couple of hours with her, and did not want her to think he had bailed on their plans.
    82XgXfr.png
    3ruY4FA.png
    ZvrH7jF.png
    JoIGvA7.png
    FlFLZA1.png

LCPKBop.png

Finally around 5:00 the fundraiser was starting to wind down, and Dante was able to escape without anyone noticing. He ripped off his suit and threw it on the bathroom floor, revealing the swimsuit he’d been wearing underneath for hours. He hopped on his jet ski and headed straight for the address Kalani had given him, flying through the water.
    ucsGjj0.png
    39XYm6U.png
    eYjV2LA.png

Dante arrived at Kalani’s home by jet ski, and instantly became both relieved and nervous as he spotted her on the deck of her bungalow. The sun was setting now, and he half expected her to turn and walk away as soon as she spotted him. Making a girl wait for hours on the first date is not really a great start, he thought.

bAQCZyn.png

Lianna's Backstory: Part Five

Xx1GW8P.png

Kalani spotted Dante in the water, and a grin lit up her face. He swam over to the ladder on her deck and climbed up quickly, apologizing before he even reached the top. “I am so sorry that I didn’t show up for lunch…I’m here with my parents and they planned some dumb event and I didn’t have a choice…I didn’t want to tell them about this – thing – that we’re doing…lunch, I mean, although it’s far too late for lunch now…” Dante rambled on, tripping over his words as he watched her smile grow larger with each one. She began to giggle as he fumbled. When he finally gave up trying to explain, she let out a laugh and told him, “Its fine. I am not upset. We barely know each other, if you didn’t ever show up I wouldn’t have been mad.” His face fell with those last few words, so she added, “I am glad you are here now, though,” with a sweet smile.
    yMFzwwH.png
    eYKfV2U.png

The hours flew by as Dante and Kalani spent the night laughing and learning about each other. Dante offered to cook her dinner to make up for being so late. As he grilled she made a citrusy island drink from fresh fruit, and they chatted and joked. Sitting together on her lounge chairs overlooking the turquoise water, the only silence was when one of them was chewing. By the time they were done eating and talking the sun had completely set and the sky was a deep purple.
    awNGd2i.png
    NxuHCq1.png
    P5PvOYq.png

Dante was so intoxicated by this enamoured feeling that he completely forgot about the outside world. She offered to teach him how to do an island dance, and sparks flew as they twirled around her deck. Dante was lost for words in a situation in which he would normally have some suave pick-up line, but he leaned in for a kiss anyway. Kalani returned the favor, kissing him right back.
    2Eh6ugU.png
    AOXTOIc.png
    ptBMvXS.png
    fzm9L3s.png

3PcvPL0.png
    9sPFVYr.png

Dante reached behind his back and pulled a daisy out of nowhere, saying "I almost forgot to give you this." Her light-hearted chuckle as she playfully smelled the fragrant flower was music to his ears. After spending hours together out on the deck, Kalani pulled Dante down to the ground to show him the different star constellations that twinkled above the sea. The sky was clearer than he’d ever seen, but he could hardly focus on the stars.
    GlFojg6.png
    XDhmiUS.png
    wZTKlzY.png

Seemingly out of nowhere, a bolt of lightning struck the ocean in front of them, and seconds later rain came pouring down. Soaking wet, the pair laughed as they ran into her home to escape the storm. Kalani asked Dante to spend the night, and it was a very romantic evening indeed.
    NRiNHFX.png
    WtbBzLS.png
    Thank you for the likes simmers! I hope you're enjoying the story so far.

Also, I hope that me leaving a few pictures without the spoiler isn't bothering you! I like showcasing the most important pictures for the story (but I take a LOT of screenshots so I like including them!) If anyone would rather me put them all in a spoiler, please let me know :smile:

Lianna's Backstory: Part Six

The next morning, Kalani awoke alone in her bed. Disappointed, she dragged herself out of bed, upset with herself for having such strong feelings for a man she had just met. As she walked out into the main room of the bungalow she heard faint humming, and the scent of caramelized fruit wafted through the slits in her open-air windows.
    ZL81v8b.png
    odKCl7B.png
    IZdVpco.png

Kalani walked outside to find Dante setting up the table.
    As she laid eyes on Dante, Kalani couldn’t wipe the grin off of her face. He sauntered up to her and lightly kissed her cheek. “Good morning Beautiful. I made breakfast.” Caught up in the romantic moment they’d been sharing since yesterday, Kalani and Dante flirted and laughed while they ate, as light raindrops from a sun shower dappled the turquoise water around them.
    bWGRkCt.png
    KtKU8S3.png

CbKluVE.png

After sharing a long kiss, Dante’s face fell and his distress was evident. “What is it?” she asked. “I…have to leave soon.” Dante could barely get the words out. He explained that his parents would be waking soon and that they were heading back to Forgotten Hollow today.

“Well, before you leave Dante, I want to show you something,” Kalani whispered mysteriously. He followed her down the beach to the water’s edge, where she stopped. Kalani turned to face him. “There’s something you should know about me…” she said cautiously. He nodded curiously.

Kalani placed one foot into the shallow surf, then began slowly walking into the water. As she did so, water began to swirl around her legs mystically, a phenomenon Dante had never seen before. Kalani dove into the water elegantly, and as she did a bright green tail flipped out of the blue sea. He had to blink repeatedly to make sure what he was seeing was real. Kalani swam through the sea as quick and graceful as a fish.

UOxXhOr.png
    5eKMulu.png
    Ank4Bmn.png

She was terrified to turn around and see his reaction; before she found the courage to do so, he was in the water right behind her, lightly touching her shoulder. Kalani turned around slowly, completely unsure of how Dante felt. Kalani’s hair cascaded wildly down to her shoulders, and shimmering yellow scales ran down her face. As she saw the warm, understanding smile on his face her fears melted away. “You’re so magnificent,” he spoke softly. “You aren’t afraid? Or disgusted?” she asked cautiously. Dante’s grin grew wider, and he grabbed her hand through the warm ocean water. He pulled her in for a slow kiss, wrapping his arms around this new body that was somehow still so clearly hers. He splashed her and they played in the water for a moment, before heading ashore on a small atoll just off the coast.
    tBZHFud.png
    c5rOY5O.png

hJuaDvQ.png
    nh5uIhC.png
    hDqyAUp.png

Kalani magically transformed into the human-looking form he had known as she walked out of the water. Dante embraced her tightly for a long minute as grey clouds began to roll in. “I have a secret, too,” he whispered in her ear. Then he took a step back, closed his eyes and summoned his magic with a focused hand movement. As magical sparks flew around him, Kalani looked shocked. “Alakazam!” he shouted, pointing directly at her. As she jumped in surprise, Dante zapped a small bush behind her, laughing at his own prank. “You…have magic too?” Kalani asked, stunned. What were the chances that two completely different magical beings would meet and fall for one another? Dante chuckled, his free-spirited mindset not thinking much of this fact. “I’m a spellcaster. My whole family are spellcasters actually.” “I’ve never met anyone magical who wasn’t a mermaid like myself,” Kalani explained. They spent the next hour showing off their abilities and telling each other more about themselves, their true selves.

XfRqrnu.png
    bVrwrJD.png
    7UvsBnm.png
    EcKRleB.png

PPbsZkA.png

“Oh no, its really getting late now…” Dante’s brow wrinkled with worry as he noticed the sun rising higher into the sky. “You need to go,” Kalani said somberly. They swam back to her home in silence, both deeply saddened that this moment had to end. As they walked down the beach, Dante grabbed her hand urgently. “I will be back soon. I promise.” His eyes burned with sincerity, begging her to believe him. “It’s just that…my family can’t know about you,” he said very sternly. Kalani didn’t question why, just nodding with understanding. They came from very different worlds and she knew all about how people feared things that were different. “But I will be back,” he restated. She touched his face lightly, beaming with relief and joy. “You know where to find me; I’ll be waiting right here.” This time she pulled him in for one last kiss, and they lingered that way as long as they could. As Dante hopped on his jet ski to race back to his resort, Kalani watched longingly from the sand.
    0Wf1Z53.png

bJiEAJW.png
    Sorry for the long hiatus! I plan to post frequently now, as I'm excited to get started with the actual challenge!

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Seven

Back at home in Forgotten Hollow, the Luz’s go back to their normal life: Tobias and Camilla schmoozed other elitist spellcasters and practiced their magic. They were often found in the Magic Realm rubbing elbows with other powerful spellcasters in Magic Headquarters. Dante was expected to continue honing his abilities, and to socialize with young spellcasters of his age with the goal of finding a suitable match for marriage. Instead, however, he practiced magic in solitude while thinking of Kalani every single day. His parents had never asked where he was or what he did on their Sulani trip, but that vacation had changed his life and perspective entirely.
    Dante was too caught up in his daydreams about his island girl to notice that his parents had been spending a significant amount of time with one elitist family in particular: the Youngbloods. They often mentioned Ethalia, Edward and their beautiful and powerful daughter Kyera, but Dante brushed them off each time.

One evening a few weeks after their Sulani trip, Camilla informs Dante that they will be attending a dinner at the Youngblood’s home. “Attending a dinner” was a very formal event in their world; they would be dressed to the nines, chatting up other snobby spellcasters and bragging about how rich and powerful they all were. It was exactly the type of event that Dante despised. He knew he did not have a choice in such matters, however, and begrudgingly got ready for the stuffy affair.

The Youngbloods were gracious hosts, having an extravagant feast catered while they woo their guests. Dante had been stuck in his own head for weeks, fantasizing about going back to Sulani. He was very friendly toward the Youngbloods – as was his personality – and they seemed nice enough. Ethalia and Edward questioned him about his life plans and intentions, interests and goals, and he spouted the same nonsense he’d memorized by this point: to become a great and powerful spellcaster, to have a successful magical family, to continue his family’s legacy; all the things his parents wanted for him. He didn’t even have to try to pretend, as he’d been doing this his entire life.
    I5A0hHB.png
    TohUFF3.png

5WLJ8il.png
    zi05wZk.png

While the parents all drank and chatted for hours, their young daughter Kyera was bubbly and friendly with Dante. He didn’t know this, but she had very little experience with men and was bursting at the seams to get to talk to a handsome man one-on-one. Dante engaged in fun conversation with her, the two of them laughing and joking. He thought absolutely nothing of it, this was just his role to play in his family’s schemes. Kyera, on the other hand, was completely and utterly smitten by the gorgeous and charismatic Dante.
    1ne694r.png

yV8ada2.png

After the night ended and the Luz’s were driven home in their private car, Camilla interoggated Dante on what he thought of Kyera. “Isn’t Kyera just stunning?” she pushed. “Oh, yes she is a beautiful girl,” Dante replied, barely listening. “Yes, indeed. She is also quite gifted with magic; her mother tells me she is even farther along in her training than you, Dante!” “Mhmm,” he replied, staring out the window at the dreary landscape they lived in. “Although she is not from a strong bloodline…but her raw power more than makes up for that…” Camilla continued. “She would make someone a very happy husband,” Camilla mused persistently. She then nudged her husband hard. Tobias stuttered and then quickly agreed with his calculating wife, “Oh, uh yes, Kyera would be a great match for a powerful spellcaster.” “Yes, I’m sure she would…” Dante mumbled, remembering the bright blue sky and vibrant foliage of Sulani, a perfect backdrop for his stunning Kalani.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Meanwhile, back in Sulani…

Kalani woke up early like she did every day, ready to tend to her garden and maybe sell some produce at the local market. Before she even made it outside, though, she felt a strong pang of nausea. Kalani ran into the bathroom, vomiting into her toilet. Had she eaten something bad? She strongly doubted it, given that her diet was made of the same island staples daily. Not thinking much of it, she continued about her day, wondering like she did every day if and when she might see the man she’d fallen in love with so quickly again.

APS4GMv.png
    CQ2R4O8.png

Lianna's Backstory: Part Eight

Five weeks had passed since he first met Kalani, and Dante could not think of anything else. He had been looking for the perfect time to go back to Sulani, knowing he would have to hide why he was returning from his parents. Finally, an opportunity arose: his father had been mentioning the need to find unique plants and crystals to use in creating new potions. Dante corned his father in the kitchen one morning, while he was still half asleep and had not sipped his coffee yet. “When we were in Sulani, father, there was such an array of exotic plants. I’m sure there are fascinating finds in the waters as well…” Dante mused. Tobias nodded in agreement. “You’re right son, I hadn’t thought about searching those islands but they seem to be a wealth of resources.”
    F6S6RuS.png
    F4SbTZ3.png

Camilla then walked into the kitchen curiously, not one to ever be left out of a conversation. “Which islands are you talking about my dear?” she said, kissing her husband on the cheek. “Dante was just reminding me that I may be able to find new plants and other ingredients for the new potions we are trying to create in Sulani,” he explained. “Sulani?” Camilla questioned, clearly not loving the idea. “It takes an entire day just to get there, dear. You can’t be gone for that long, especially not when we are getting so close to discovering these new recipes.” Dante had been staring down at his plate, not wanting to involve his mother in his plan. His father was not exactly the brightest of bulbs; he would never suspect an ulterior motive to Dante’s suggestion. His mother, on the other hand, was sharp as a tack and always on alert. Dante took a deep breath, wanting to be as convincing as possible with his next words. “Well, what if I go to Sulani to find these ingredients?” Both parents looked at him bewilderingly, as he typically showed absolutely no interest in these types of things. Playing on his mother’s emotions, he continued, “Mother, I know how badly you want me to be more involved in these matters. This is one way that I can begin to do that. I’ll take over the research for these ingredients, so you can both focus here at home on all of the things the Council asks of you.” Tobias just looked at Camilla, waiting for her decision. “Dante, I would love for you to take on more responsibility. This will require a lot of travel, though. You need to be serious about this if you’re going to take on this role.” Dante stood up from the table, not even bothering to finish his food. “I am very serious, mother. In fact, I will start my research today!” Before either parent could reply, Dante had sprinted up the stairs to begin packing for his “research trip.”
    0oFNW0K.png
    aTbZAX5.png
    dlS7xJC.png

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Nine

Dante couldn’t wait to return to Sulani, it was all he’d been thinking about for weeks. He arrived at the idyllic island archipelago in the afternoon and ran right to Kalani’s house. He knocked on her door and peeked through the window, but no one was there. Dante started walking down the beach a little way and found her combing for seashells along the shore.
    vM6kQ1t.png

He snuck up behind her carefully, and standing a few feet away said in a low voice, “I told you I’d be back.” Kalani jumped, startled, and then turned around excitedly. Dante wasn’t entirely sure how she would react, given that they had only met once before. But he had been replaying their parting in his head over and over as the weeks dragged along in Forgotten Hollow, and he couldn’t imagine her not feeling the same way. Kalani’s body lit up like electricity was running through her the moment she saw his face – not hesitating, she threw herself at Dante, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him for a long moment.

EsjrvBt.png
    k9s2mwt.png

The pair spent the entire afternoon on the beach, giddy to be back together. They built sandcastles, playing in the ocean, and canoodled until the sun set over the sea, giving them a breathtakingly colorful show.
    Qi0TQGB.png

eyiB8ih.png

cgxVeKl.png
    I2oednw.png
    cBLN9Sq.png

Dante spent 5 days in paradise with this woman he had fallen madly in love with, not even thinking about home. He finally realized that he would need to return home soon to keep up his charade of conducting research here. He spent some time collecting different plants and catching frogs but didn’t want to give his parents too much – he needed to have a reason to keep coming back. Before he left, he promised Kalani he would return again, hopefully sooner this time. Saying good-bye broke both of their hearts, the thought of being together again soon the only thing to keep them going.

da5Epfp.png
    8DMapIf.png
    WqcVd4W.png
    mRDRafS.png

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Ten

Leaving Kalani was harder this time than it had been the first, and Dante had a feeling it would only get harder each time. He knew he couldn’t risk his parents finding out that he was in love with an island girl from Sulani, let alone a mermaid! Elite spellcasters in Forgotten Hollow only married other elite spellcasters; they were even forbidden from marrying humans, as this would muddy their spellcaster bloodlines. Dante had to be convincing about his “research” in order to be able to come and go from Sulani as he wished.

Once he arrived home, he was eager to show his parents his findings. Dante had brought back a new species of frog, as well as some herbs that did not grow here in Forgotten Hollow (as most plants cannot survive in this dark, gloomy place). His father was intrigued with his findings, asking all sorts of questions about where he found them and other flora and fauna he saw. His mother seemed satisfied with his results, only giving an approving nod as he showed everything to her. He convinced them both that he would need to return soon to collect more, and even managed to persuade them into believing he would return frequently to observe differences based on weather and season. Feeling relieved, he also longed for Kalani and the islands. He would have to tough it out here for at least a couple of weeks before returning, so he chose to fill his days practicing his magic and assisting his father with potions and spells using what he collected.

T7Eylki.png
    b5SKmCV.png
    ji3UnHw.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, back in Sulani, Kalani returned to her normal daily life. She missed Dante more now than she had the first time he left, and was continuously shocked by the strength of her feelings for him – she had never felt this way about anyone before, never having given much thought or effort to romance.
    8LJCdJ1.png

Her nausea had been coming in waves, on and off, but was now getting stronger. Even swimming through the blue island waters as a mermaid did not bring the relief and comfort it always had. Realizing that there was something clearly wrong, she sought out the help of the Chieftain of Sulani: Keala Hoapili. Keala had a strong connection to the island spirits and was considered by all Sulani residents to be extremely wise; they often went to her for council and help.

M23Mru2.png
    LGHGFQ8.png
    LvWMtY9.png

“I’ve had nausea on and off for weeks now,” Kalani explained to Keala after she welcomed her into her villa. She explained how didn’t think much of it at first but it had been getting worse lately. Keala first began by using her medical knowledge to perform a routine “check-up,” ruling out serious illness or infection. She then counseled Kalani the best she could, asking many questions and drawing on the wise teachings of the elders who had taught her.
    xBvzxu9.png

2atvBjJ.png

One question Kalani could not answer truthfully, however – if it were possible that she might be pregnant. The thought had never even crossed her mind until now, and she tried to push back the growing feeling that she had figured out exactly what was wrong.
    When Keala could not give her an answer, she suggested that Kalani try communing with the Island Spirits for guidance. Kalani had only done this once before as a child with her mother, but she honored the spirits in her daily life and knew that they had helped countless other residents of Sulani.
    l8gMPV6.png
    b13yXoy.png

Keala summoned the spirits for her, and then went back into her home, leaving Kalani alone with the ghost-like creatures floating before her. One spirit floated toward her, and Kalani bowed in respect. She explained her situation to the spirit, finding it strange to talk to this ethereal being like she would any old friend. After listening and pausing for what felt like a very long time to Kalani, the spirit nodded to signal he had determined the problem. Without speaking, he placed his hand on Kalani’s belly, then gestured to show her belly growing larger and larger. Feeling defeated, Kalani nodded in understanding and thanked the spirit.

ZfT9aJ9.png
    47aZYLs.png

arNJZFm.png

As she walked home, all she could think about was how Dante would feel. She knew how vital it was to keep their romance a secret; if his family were to find out, he had stressed how dangerous the situation could become for both of them. This is why she had chosen to keep it a secret from everyone in Sulani too – there was no reason anyone needed to know. But now, with a baby on the way, keeping that secret got a lot more difficult.

Even through all of the stress, though, Kalani also found herself feeling joyful. She had always wanted children someday, and now she was pregnant with the love of her life. As scary as the situation was, she felt hopeful.

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Eleven

It had been about 3 weeks since he last saw Kalani, and Dante was itching to go back to Sulani. He couldn’t focus on anything else – even spellcasting, which used to be his favorite thing to do. He buried himself in studying the specimens he’d collected, figuring if he actually learned about them, it would be much easier to convince everyone at home that he was invested in this work. Finally, after 21 days had passed, Dante brought it up to his parents. “I’ve learned so much about these flora and fauna…I think it’s time I go back and collect more,” he casually mentioned to his father at breakfast one morning, trying to sound nonchalant. Tobias seemed excited, saying “I am just so proud of you for taking such an interest in this research, Dante! By all means, whenever you’re ready to collect more, go ahead.” That was all Dante needed to hear, and his bag was packed within the hour.

Kalani was showing a bit now, with a little but noticeable belly bump. No one from the village had seemed to notice – or if they had, they hadn’t mentioned anything, probably out of fear of being rude. She knew that the time was coming quickly, however, where it would be extremely difficult to hide her pregnancy.

Dante wasted no time heading directly for Kalani’s house the moment he landed on the island. He waved and smiled at residents as he jogged to her front door, realizing that people might be starting to recognize him. He peered through the glass door, and his stomach flipped as he saw her silhouette in the living room. He knocked quietly, and as Kalani turned to see who it was, Dante could see her emotions clear as day on her face – surprise, then excitement, and then worry. Kalani opened the door gingerly, unable to wipe the beaming smile off her face regardless of how nervous she was.
    DilQFSd.png

GqHwoCQ.png

The first thing Dante did was embrace her. They hadn’t gotten to hold one another in almost a month, and the pair stayed in that embrace for almost a minute. Finally, Kalani pulled away, an anxious look on her face. She took a step back and held her hands out; “Dante…I’m pregnant,” she explained, smiling with the hope that he might be happy about this. She watched him process the news – first shock and worry, but then a warm grin crossing his face. He looked at her like she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen and embraced her once again. “So, we’re…having a baby?” She nodded gingerly. “Wow…I can’t believe it…” he paused long enough for her to grow concerned. “You are going to be the best mother,” he finally said, kissing her cheek. A wave of relief washed over Kalani, and the two walked to her deck to talk things over.

KspPxh4.png
    bobuU4N.png

GVUSdIS.png
    77NvGVw.png

XiBxP7r.png

Dante was ecstatic that he was going to be a father, and with the love of his life at that. He could picture their future together – nothing but love, sunshine, sand and sea. When worry began to creep into his thoughts, he pushed it down deep, refusing to taint this moment with the societal pressure of his life back at home. Kalani was elated as well; she had always wanted to be a mother from the time she was a little girl, but had never met anyone whom she was remotely interested in romantically. Now that she could see that Dante was happy about this, she let herself be excited too.

The happy couple spent the next few days in a blissful bubble, not leaving the house at all except to spend time soaking in the sun and ocean together. Dante could feel that this is where he belonged, and wanted nothing more than to stay here forever and never go back.
    Sadly, he realized that was not an option – at least not yet. Unable to sleep on their last night together, the looming dread of Forgotten Hollow clouding his mind, Dante got out of bed at first light and decided to get his “collecting” over with while his love slept. He caught a couple of fish and grabbed a plant or two, but decided he would rather come home with less this time.
    g8a5pWG.png

W3kfMoL.png

NaR1OPJ.png

Before going to bed the night before, Dante and Kalani had a serious talk about their future. She wanted him to stay more than anything, but knew that the risks were too high – if his family or other members of their spellcaster society found out about her, the consequences could be dangerous for both of them. They crafted a plan together, deciding that for now, he would drag this research out for as long as possible, insisting on needing to come back to conduct research regularly. Eventually, the plan was for Dante to tell his parents he wants to set up a base camp here on the island and move here “temporarily,” although in truth he would never return. They both thought this could work, but Kalani was silently skeptical.
    MTwFsfn.png
    AWpVVFE.png

Saying good-bye was excruciating for both of them, but the excitement of coming back soon and going through this pregnancy together was enough to keep them going. Dante promised to be back within the month, and made sure that Kalani had someone looking after her while he was gone (Keala).
    NaR1OPJ.png

Lianna's Backstory: Part Twelve

Dante returned home, equal parts excited and stressed – he just wanted to find a way to stay there forever, or for them to move away together. But he knew it had to be done a certain way; he couldn’t risk the wrath of his family or the other spellcasters in their circle – the Luz’s only had one child, and he unfortunately bore the weight of their desires for their lineage.

The Luz’s were being especially nice to their son, and he really didn’t know why. Camilla was actually cheery, an emotion Dante wasn’t sure he’d ever seen her exhibit. When he showed them the new specimen he’d collected, both she and Tobias seemed overly excited.

LjitKYE.png

jxnuaTe.png

His mother was also making strange comments; after mentioning that they’ve been spending some time with the Youngbloods, she coyly stated “and I know Kyera has really missed you while you were gone, Dante.” Dante was taken aback by the comment, questioning why she would feel that way. “I barely know her, why would she miss me?” he asked with genuine confusion in his voice. His mother’s voice grew tenser, thinly veiled by her attempt to be casual and cheery, “I think she took quite a liking to you when you last met, Dante. At least, that’s what her parents have told us.” Camilla looked at Tobias, who was in the living room as well, paying hardly any attention to the conversation as he skimmed the newspaper. Camilla cleared her throat loudly, clearly signaling her husband to add to her thoughts. “What was that?” Tobias asked, admitting his lack of attention. Camilla’s pretend cheeriness now fell, and she was clearly annoyed when she snapped, “What the Youngbloods were saying about their daughter, dear. How she liked Dante a lot…” Tobias finally caught on, quickly adding, “Oh yes, they couldn’t stop talking about how highly Kyera thinks of you! Maybe the two of you should spend some time together, son.”

XmhxzLf.png

Camilla’s face reflected the triumph she believed she had earned, making her son more aware of the young spellcaster’s affection toward him. Dante didn’t really know how to respond…he had not thought of this girl once since they first met, and had absolutely no interest in spending a moment of his time with her. However, he did not want to rock the boat with his family, especially after learning that he was going to be a father with another woman. “Oh, yeah, she was…um…really nice, when we met. Maybe we can go out together soon,” he tried to feign interest. This seemed to satisfy his parents, as they nodded in approval and went about their business.

After the strange encounter with his family, Dante headed to Caster’s Alley in the magic realm to search the shops for a special gift for Kalani. He wanted to bring her something magical that represented this part of his life that she didn’t really know. Dante hated that she couldn’t join in on this part of his life; he just wanted to be with her every day and everywhere.

While browsing through a selection of gemstones, wands and other magical trinkets, Dante’s phone started vibrating repeatedly. He really did not have any close friends, just other spellcasters who he used to hang out and party with, and his parents did not text. Yet a handful of texts started coming through from an unknown number, reading:

Hey handsome! Are you back in town?
    I’ve been missing you a lot.
    Are you going to come see me soon?

Thinking someone might have texted the wrong number, he simply replied, Uh, who is this?
    Oh it’s Kyera!

Dante was piecing the puzzle together now – his parents had clearly given her his number, and she apparently was pretty interested in him. Rather than being flattered, though, Dante was annoyed to receive the messages. He just wanted to focus on doing his research here until an appropriate amount of time passed that he could return to Sulani; he had no interest in making friends here, or doing anything else that might tie him to Forgotten Hollow. He thought about ignoring the texts, but realized that would likely only cause him problems. He responded:
    Oh, sorry, I’m busy today.

He continued his browsing, examining each item closely to determine if it was special enough to bring back for Kalani. Lost in thought, Dante was startled by a tap on the shoulder. He turns around to find Kyera standing behind him, smiling ear to ear. “Oh…hey…”he said, clearly confused. “Hey stranger!” she responded cheerily. “It’s been awhile since we’ve seen each other!” “Yeah…”Dante replied, not sure how to feel about the fact that she found him here. Had she been looking for him after he told her he was busy, or was this just a weird coincidence? Kyera was very chatty, making small talk about every topic under the sun, laughing at every other thing Dante said. He was trying to be polite and not offend the girl, but he was also wracking his brain for any excuse to escape this awkward encounter. “Well, I better get going…have a lot of research work to do…”he clumsily excused himself.

4uY1XNk.png

Still trying to piece together whatever was happening with Kyera, between his parents talking about her nonstop and her texting and bumping into him, Dante headed to the Magic Headquarters to read a few tomes about exotic plants. As he entered the huge building, his magic mentor Silversweater called out to him. “Dante! I haven’t seen you in weeks. Have you been keeping up with your training?” he asked, and Dante sighed as he realized he’d gotten himself into another annoying situation that he didn’t want to deal with. “I mean, I’ve been really busy lately,” he tried to excuse his lack of spell-casting practice, but Silversweater didn’t want to hear it. He shook his head, scolding Dante, “You know how your parents feel about your magic! You need to be keeping up with your practice, Dante. You have the gift of a strong bloodline, don’t waste it by letting your abilities fade away.”

Silversweater challenged him to a duel to prove his point about Dante’s need to practice. Not one to back down from a challenge, Dante reluctantly agreed. The duel did not last long, and Dante ended up face-down on the cobblestone. Silversweater scolded him once again, and set up a training schedule that Dante would need to follow.

Rather than flying home, Dante walked the long way back to his house. He ruminated on how much he disliked this place – the focus on magic and training, on snobby societal rules, on family legacies and keeping the family image up. When he was in Sulani, with Kalani, he felt free, happy, alive…all he wanted was to fly right back, but he knew he couldn’t. Not yet.

fWZwPQr.png

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Thirteen

Dante’s family had been purposely keeping him extra busy with work in Forgotten Hollow. He had, however, used this time to hone his spellcasting, and had grown quite a bit in his abilities. After sparring and practicing for weeks, he challenged his mentor, Silversweater, to a re-match – and it ended in a draw! After 6 weeks he finally found an opening for a reason to return to Sulani – his parents would be away on business, and they seemed to believe him when he said he needed to collect more specimens as it had been awhile since his last collection.
    LL6WnYF.png
    5QtVfGa.png

mEMEhrx.png

Meanwhile, Kalani had been filling her days as best as she could, but longing for Dante to return. He had said he’d come back every month, but she knew he was keeping up appearances with his parents, and that there would be bumps along the road. She tried to surround herself with friends and neighbors, if for no other reason than to distract herself while she waited.
    ZyiEGGd.png
    H7ve8yK.png

iUcTSd2.png

a45iBtQ.png

Finally, the day arrived that Dante could fly back to Sulani. After finding her on the beach, that first embrace was enough to make Dante never want to return to Forgotten Hollow. Dante was so excited to see that Kalani’s belly had grown; it hit him that he’s really going to have a child soon, really be a father. The only anxiety he felt about the situation was about finding a way to make this peace they felt here in Sulani last forever. He gave her two presents – a wand made of turquoise, not functional but beautiful just the same, and a magical baby rattle hand-crafted by his favorite vender from Caster’s Alley. The pair spent a magical week with only each other for company, never leaving the other’s side.
    qBdKqZL.png

oDjpyvT.png

g5fDQIg.png
    ehQeCUI.png

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Fourteen

Dante returned home as miserable as always – leaving Kalani each time he visited was the hardest part of this whole situation. As he walked through his front door, hoping to head straight to his bedroom and lock himself away for the day, he was greeted with an unnatural enthusiasm from both of his parents. “Dante, you’re back! Your timing is impeccable, dear,” Camilla said in a cheery tone that he was not familiar with coming from his mother. “And why is that?” he asked in a dejected voice, already heading up the stairs. “Because tomorrow evening is the dinner party!” she exclaimed. He stopped mid-step, turning toward his parents, not even attempting to mask his annoyance at the announcement. “Mother, I’m really tired from my research…I may just skip this one to cat-,” but before he could get the words out, his father chimed in. “You won’t want to skip this party, son.” He gave his parents a questioning look. “It’s in celebration of you! All of this work you’ve been putting in on that swamp of an island, the research you’ve been contributing at the headquarters…its high time we celebrate your accomplishments!” Dante realized he may have been doing his job a bit too well. The last thing he wanted was a stuffy dinner party in his honor, where he’d have to contend with and entertain snobby elite spellcasters. Knowing his parents, though, he knew he had no choice. He sulked upstairs to his room and shut the door, not intending to open it until the party began tomorrow evening.

Lianna’s Backstory: Part Fifteen

Dante dragged himself down from his room as he heard the doorbell ring. Time to paste a fake smile on his face and give out false compliments to the shallow snobs that would be in his home for the next few hours; nothing new. The soiree was going as they always do – people were drinking, laughing, gossiping about one another and bragging about themselves. Kyera had been hovering around Dante the whole night; he constantly tried finding ways to get away from her but she found him each time.

nc2wcge.png

After a few hours of tedious, phony conversation and drinking, Dante started feeling very lightheaded. He decided to step out onto his balcony for some fresh air and to get a break from the phony conversations. He was feeling so out of it that he wasn’t even bothered when Kyera found him. He noticed that she had had a faint pink glow at the beginning of the evening, but now wasn’t sure if that was real or just due to his befuddled state. She began flirting with him as she always did, but in his intoxicated state he didn’t try to stop her or leave this time. “I just think that we would make a great team, Dante,” she said enticingly while stroking his arm. Slurring his words, Dante agreed dispassionately. Kyera saw her opening and seized it – she kissed Dante out of nowhere, and he didn’t resist.

FI1cK6B.png
    jzUyQKb.png
    E2ACiVq.png

YlVzAPE.png