Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overwolf/CurseForge v1.0 : what do you think ?

Comments

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    No opinion
    Now that it's the next day and I've read and learned a little more, I'm not sure I'll ever use this unless my must have mods can't be found anywhere else. Hopefully they'll always be available from the website if so, because there's no way I'm downloading that app. I've been using mods since Sims 2 and I'm very organized, so updating mods for patches, while mildly annoying, is something I'm used to.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,119 Member
    I like the idea of it because I have been asked for alternative download options for my save files. But I don't like that you have to have a Twitch account to sign up. I don't want a Twitch account so I'll have to wait until they add other options to join. I do have a question though, can you still download from there without an account?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • cholesterolcholesterol Posts: 21 Member
    It’s too early to judge. The new website and the mod hub will be released in December. I really love the idea though. I‘m a mod addict and it feels like I‘m spending more time updating my mods than playing with them. Sometimes I‘m not playing TS4 for months - not because I‘m tired of the game but because I don‘t feel like updating my mods. I can‘t wait for the "update all" button. I hope a lot of creators will upload their stuff there. Crossing my fingers for Bienchen.

I hope this collaboration is a sign that TS5 will completely embrace mods and CC. I want to be able to delete and recategorize CC in-game.
  • kaitlynkateduffkaitlynkateduff Posts: 5 New Member
    Personally, I'm open-minded about it lol, but It really is optional
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    I don't think I'll use it, at least not at first.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Other ...
    I'm not at all jazzed. Seems I have to sign up to yet another platform, just to access it. No, thank you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    edited November 2022
    Norton keeps trying to block its installation. I have no idea why.

I'm still not sure if I should err on the safe side and keep doing things the old-fashioned way, or just ignore it. Norton seems to be getting awfully overzealous as of late.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited November 2022
    Dislike
    Multipart download

The most of people didn't see that there were several files to download.

For example Eyelashes ~ Part 1, 2 and 3, 95% of users missed the part 1 & 2 :
    • Eyelashes part 1 : 321 downloads
    • Eyelashes part 2 : 325 downloads
    • Eyelashes part 3 : 5 816 downloads
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Still waiting for the program to include TS4, which I heard isn't happening until early December. But yeah, I'm definitely looking forwards to auto-updating mods, because having to update them every patch is literally my least favorite part of playing with mods.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited December 2022
    Dislike
    I'm not impressed by the beta.
    https://beta.curseforge.com/sims4/

The thumbnails are still small ( 108x108 and 144x144 with zoom on the main page only )
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dislike
    I just think it'll be annoying to have to check through yet another site for mods/potentially missing out on mods because they're only on here.. It got pretty easy in recent years as it's been the case that if you want maxis match cc it's all on Tumblr, alpha all on TSR and game mods on modthesims, I think this'll just complicate it.
  • KoveeKovee Posts: 880 Member
    Other ...
    Problem, it cannot see that I have the mod that they have and let me update it from there. No I have to delete my mod then find my mod and download it from there before it sees it..so silly.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    No opinion
    I haven't used it yet.
    Unfortunately it isn‘t working for me. Neither can I install mods nor does it recognize my existing mods. It‘s been refreshing for hours now.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited December 2022
    Unfortunately it isn‘t working for me. Neither can I install mods nor does it recognize my existing mods. It‘s been refreshing for hours now.
    I'm using the app. It didn't recognize the game for me either likely because the app and game are on two different drives. You can scan to detect or manually direct it to where the game is installed. I just don't remember which settings I clicked on to do it but it was simple. Try clicking on settings (three dots to the right of the search bar if you're using the app) > + Manually add a game

Once I manually added it myself (no scan) then everything showed up and I'm able to download plus see what I have installed already.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Other ...
    At this time I'm really not a fan the content is extremely limited none of the male cc content creators I use have content on it
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    No opinion
    I think I voted 'no opinion' but now I have an opinion because I've downloaded it. I love it. I could never figure out how to download T.O.O.L. for some reason it just wouldn't work...but with this? WHAM! IN MY GAME, baby! Been using it for a couple days now and I love it! Changed my entire life.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
    > @SimplyJen said:
    > I'm using the app. It didn't recognize the game for me either likely because the app and game are on two different drives. You can scan to detect or manually direct it to where the game is installed. I just don't remember which settings I clicked on to do it but it was simple. Try clicking on settings (three dots to the right of the search bar if you're using the app) > + Manually add a game
    >
    >
    > Once I manually added it myself (no scan) then everything showed up and I'm able to download plus see what I have installed already.

Thank you for your answer. My game got detected just fine, it just wouldn‘t detect my mods and cc (or so I thought). Turns out I was just too impatient. I had to wait for a loooong time for my stuff to load.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I will probably not use it. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my CC/Mods and have them sorted/organized a certain way. Plus, I also remove all special characters from the names, leaving just the creator name and Mod/CC Name.

And quite often, I also change the name a little so it's easier for me to know what the item is, like adding "Hair" at the end if the only thing the creator put down was the hair name such as Dahlia, but didn't include "hair" as part of the name because then I have no idea what type of CC it is.

Now what I DID find interesting though, is that I've been using a Mod Manager program to sort/organize my CC for the last year or so and when I went to update it a few days ago I noticed the Publisher was Overwolf, Ltd.

lQByOrX.png

I was like, hmmm.... wonder if that's the same "Overwolf" as the one with Curseforge so I googled it and found out they are one and the same.

Now I don't know if the mod manager offered on the Curseforge site is the same as the Mod Manager app that I currently use because it states on the download page that it doesn't update mods or detect broken CC so it's probably not.

But I will stick with it because it's pretty nice. I like it quite a lot actually because the thumbnails are large and look exactly like it does in game.

You can Deactivate CC (so it doesn't show up in the game, but is still in your Mods folder), Delete CC, Move CC to another folder, and even open the CC in S4S in case you want to check it our further or change the tags of something. I personally prefer it much better than S4S to view and organize my CC because once it loads it's quick and I get to see big chunks of my CC together rather than individually only being able to view 1 item at a time.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, in case anybody is interested.
    HeUOFQG.png

If anybody is interested, you can read more about it here:
    https://gametimedev.de/S4MM/

• Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I've used it and it's fantastic, but I'm not sure I'll keep it CC because some users aren't there yet, and I use "mod," which won't be there, so it seems a little large to me. But I had to remove it because it was taking up too much space on my PC; I'm not concerned because I know mods work and CC isn't concerned because it works. 
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    So far so good! I'm still waiting for a couple more filtering features to easily see and organize my mods separate from lots, households and the like. I'm also waiting for some of my staple mods and creators to make it on the platform, once that happens updating and managing my mods will be so effortless and definitely help make the sims 4 a much more open ended and complete game.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I've been using Curse/Curseforge for years for Minecraft, Stardew valley and last, but not least, Wow. Not really used it for TS4 yet, since I'm currently not playing. But, I'm hoping it will make patch days a bit easier, with all mods in one place.

Just waiting for better filters etc, so I don't have to see my own sims/builds clogging up the list.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,652 Member
    No opinion
    @Chicklet453681 You do the same thing I do as far as cleaning up the file names. I don't put descriptions like 'hair' on the file name though. I have my mods folder setup with sub folders for each creator. If that creator is someone who has a big collection and I use them a lot I also create subfolders inside their folder and name those for the type of creation. For example, Zenx. Inside their folder I have subfolders for lipstick, eyeliner, etc. and I download the file straight into the corresponding one. Creators like yourself, SIMcredible, or Harrie who do BB, I have the subfolder set up by the name of the particular set that creation comes from. Your folder for instance is setup with subfolders for Plant Lover, Floral Dreams, etc. It makes it a breeze to find things, but I still wish more CAS creators put some sort of ID in the thumbnails in game.
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    Other ...
    I want to give it time to work out all the bugs and glitches. Allow Creators time to learn the ins and outs of it and get their many many mods and CC uploaded.
    For now I am just doing it the old way.