Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rene Rejects Support Group

2...Next

Comments

• LexstraLexstra Posts: 18 Member
    I just want a sims 2 remaster
    I want the old passionate team back.. at this rate paralives will take over.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited November 2022
    I agree. The game being playable on mobile out of the starting block? Eeek. That is
    concerning.

I totally agree. The fact that mobile devices have a sheer lack of processing speed and less overall system memory and storage means that they would have to either cut down on valuable content to make it run on these devices, or allow access from mobile to the multiplayer aspect only, that runs on their servers.

This seriously worries me, because I do NOT want Sims 5 to be 100% multiplayer online. I want it playable both offline and online, I don't want planned obsolescence, and I want the single player features to be well developed and the multiplayer to be an afterthought. As I have mentioned before, multiplayer would only be desirable to me IF and only if, there were at least 5 or 6 EPs released on single player before the multiplayer feature is offered, and the multiplayer feature is OPTIONAL to players, so that the game can be played solo or with friends. I also want to be able to turn off notifications of any kind from the game. (Like I do on almost every one of my mobile games.) If Project Rene/Sims 5/Sims 2025 are 100% online, with no offline and solo features, I'll play Paralives instead, despite inferior graphics rather than something like Sims Online. Sims online is the one Sims game that I have never played. Though from descriptions and videos, I wouldn't mind some of the Sims Online objects coming back.

I don't play games for a living, and I'm too old to make a living as a game streamer, so I don't want games to constantly whine at me to be played. Nor do I want games constantly pestering me for more money. (See also pesterware.) At least with old fashioned pesterware from the 90s, once you paid for the game instead of continuing to play the demo, the pestering went away. (Except for the infamous Bonzi Buddy.) These days, games promote their premium features, including features that are TIME LIMITED, like for only one week. These get offloaded if they start pestering more than 4 times daily for a week, or include begging for money in their notifications. There are a few mobile apps that I have spent money on for PERMANENT premium content, and that is only because I have played them over a year, not been offended by excessive ads or crippled features if you don't watch ads, and there is enough content to keep my interest. Those are the ones I actually spend money on. But once they start getting infected with excessive ads, I won't spend any more money on them. And I never pay any money for limited time content.

I don't want adware either. Want to do anything in the game, watch an ad. Don't even start an ad on purpose, game starts one for you (ie between puzzles, or locations or whatever). This is adware, and I always offload it from my mobile devices. Or, when I am doing something else, I will start an ad, do whatever else, start next ad, do whatever else, repeat until ads go away for 4 hours plus. Ads are about as appealing on mobile as TV commercials are on cable. They're a great opportunity to use the restroom, put away dishes, take out the trash, etc., or make snarky or sarcastic comments on, to whoever you are watching TV with. (20th time of viewing same commercial with friend: "Oh, I've NEVER seen THAT one before...." Or the vote on how smackable the characters in the ad are. ) On mobile, they can try to make you interact with the ad, which is even worse. Those ads, however, are great for accumulating benefits while, say, watching Youtube or a webinar. Or, simply install the game advertised if it looks interesting, and play that game INSTEAD of the game I was playing. Intrusive advertising is NOT cool, but tends to be an intrinsic feature of multiplayer.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member
    edited November 2022
    @SimsILikeSims

agreed. I don't really play mobile games because I find them entirely unhealthy past time with their time limited offers, limited time events, pay to win/ to do anything mildly interesting, notifications and urging to play 24/7 and the 3 minutes for energy /ads stuff that totally spoils your mood anyway

not to talk of the graphics n such limitations yeah

oh and probably the fact that i have too potato of a phone to run anything

and even just if you have any games on phone the freaking endless charging cycle

theres other things i should be keeping my phone charged for (especially as they put everything in the plum phone these days)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I haven't seen enough to worry me one way or the other about gameplay or build/buy stuff, what worries me is the multiplayer aspect. I play with mods, always have, every Sims game to date. I worry what having a multiplayer mode will mean for us being able to use mods. I also worry about the possibility of always having to be online, which would mean if we got an update we would have no choice but to download the patch, whether we wanted to or wanted to wait. These two things would be deal breakers for me from the get go, even before seeing gameplay or build/buy features.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I agree. The game being playable on mobile out of the starting block? Eeek. That is
    concerning.

I totally agree. The fact that mobile devices have a sheer lack of processing speed and less overall system memory and storage means that they would have to either cut down on valuable content to make it run on these devices, or allow access from mobile to the multiplayer aspect only, that runs on their servers.

This seriously worries me, because I do NOT want Sims 5 to be 100% multiplayer online. I want it playable both offline and online, I don't want planned obsolescence, and I want the single player features to be well developed and the multiplayer to be an afterthought. As I have mentioned before, multiplayer would only be desirable to me IF and only if, there were at least 5 or 6 EPs released on single player before the multiplayer feature is offered, and the multiplayer feature is OPTIONAL to players, so that the game can be played solo or with friends. I also want to be able to turn off notifications of any kind from the game. (Like I do on almost every one of my mobile games.) If Project Rene/Sims 5/Sims 2025 are 100% online, with no offline and solo features, I'll play Paralives instead, despite inferior graphics rather than something like Sims Online. Sims online is the one Sims game that I have never played. Though from descriptions and videos, I wouldn't mind some of the Sims Online objects coming back.

I don't play games for a living, and I'm too old to make a living as a game streamer, so I don't want games to constantly whine at me to be played. Nor do I want games constantly pestering me for more money. (See also pesterware.) At least with old fashioned pesterware from the 90s, once you paid for the game instead of continuing to play the demo, the pestering went away. (Except for the infamous Bonzi Buddy.) These days, games promote their premium features, including features that are TIME LIMITED, like for only one week. These get offloaded if they start pestering more than 4 times daily for a week, or include begging for money in their notifications. There are a few mobile apps that I have spent money on for PERMANENT premium content, and that is only because I have played them over a year, not been offended by excessive ads or crippled features if you don't watch ads, and there is enough content to keep my interest. Those are the ones I actually spend money on. But once they start getting infected with excessive ads, I won't spend any more money on them. And I never pay any money for limited time content.

I don't want adware either. Want to do anything in the game, watch an ad. Don't even start an ad on purpose, game starts one for you (ie between puzzles, or locations or whatever). This is adware, and I always offload it from my mobile devices. Or, when I am doing something else, I will start an ad, do whatever else, start next ad, do whatever else, repeat until ads go away for 4 hours plus. Ads are about as appealing on mobile as TV commercials are on cable. They're a great opportunity to use the restroom, put away dishes, take out the trash, etc., or make snarky or sarcastic comments on, to whoever you are watching TV with. (20th time of viewing same commercial with friend: "Oh, I've NEVER seen THAT one before...." Or the vote on how smackable the characters in the ad are. ) On mobile, they can try to make you interact with the ad, which is even worse. Those ads, however, are great for accumulating benefits while, say, watching Youtube or a webinar. Or, simply install the game advertised if it looks interesting, and play that game INSTEAD of the game I was playing. Intrusive advertising is NOT cool, but tends to be an intrinsic feature of multiplayer.

They said multiplayer is optional .
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    sadly from what everything I have seen/read. Looks like sims4 will be the last sims game for me. hello Paralives
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I'm concerned about the base game being content-empty because there's more engineering focus on building out these multiplayer/collaborative features and less on gameplay systems. :#

I think focus on building is not too big a concern . Because in life simulation I think building is one first they do (In para lives).Before they work on the characters .

Building houses and such in game is not the focus of the quoted post. The concern is that the game will be a sideshow compared to the grand plan for multi-player and working on every computer like system imaginable.
    Virtual hugs to all needing/wanting them! This project is scary.
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    Hello @Mr_MuffinTop, welcome!

I'm so disheartened to hear about your displeasure with Sims 4 and that it was your entry point into the franchise. Have you taken a gander at the other entries in the franchise?

Perhaps one of the other games will enrich your life?

Actually I have considered it. I was thinking of watching some game play videos on older games instead of buying since the games are very old now and that means they come with a lot of technology issues that EA can't really address as they moved on from those games.

I've said it before but sims 4 is my first sims game and my first EA game, as someone who has been in different communities playing different games, EA hasn't really shown any interest in quality assurance both within game content, communicating with the player base and things like celebrating milestones like the 20th anniversary. So of course the biggest nightmare question hanging over my head about project RENE is "Why will the project RENE game be any different from the sims 4 when the sims 4 made so much money being shallow? "

As an example of what I am saying is: If you found that you could make 3 million $ a month by just drawing a circle, why would you bother making anything more complex when the circle is selling and a large population of your fan base loves and adores circles and will buy every circle you make? Whenever you make something complex people love it, but you still only make $3 million a month. You don't get more $ for being complex, so why should EA do better with the sims 5 when their is no extra $ to be gained from making anything more complex than a circle?

Are you picking up what I am trying to put down? lol
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    edited December 2022
    Thanks, I need a virtual hug just because I'm feeling so poorly this week and cannot stop coughing long enough to sleep :(

I don't think I could stand to start all over again with yet another sims version, even if version 5 appealed to me (which it doesn't yet).
    Post edited by elanorbreton on
    Mr Muffin Top: That I do. Maximum profit for minimum effort. The only way it might change is if they get their butts kicked at the retail level, which requires first class alternatives.
    Thanks, I need a virtual hug just because I'm feeling so poorly this week and cannot stop coughing long enough to sleep :(

I don't think I could stand to start all over again with yet another sims version, even if version 5 appealed to me (which it doesn't yet).

U R most welcome. Hoping you are feeling better, getting your sleep, had a good Christmas, and wishing you the best for the new year.
  • mboglesbymboglesby Posts: 18 Member
    I want so badly for this iteration of the game to really go back to basics - meaning, the devs delve into the first three games (TS1, TS2, TS3) and really grasp the fundamentals of the game. the outrageousness and spontaneity of the original, the quirkiness and fun of the second, the open world, story progression, personalities and relationships of the third then take all of the technological advancements and graphics of of TS4 and the way objects are catalogued, CAS is organized, etc and make a well rounded game that everybody can enjoy.
    Don't like story progress? devs add a toggle to turn it off
    Don't want as many 'chance cards'? devs add a toggle to turn if off
    Don't like 'xyz'? devs add toggles to most features to them off
    With technology these days - I believe it is fully possible to create a fully customizable game that everybody can enjoy; whether the gamer likes to tell stories, build, or just play the game.
    I personally just started playing the sims 3 again and forgot how much more fun it is - my first sim day, I had a time traveller appear and visited the future, my kitchen caught fire and the fire department had to come rescue my sim, my sim had to be admitted to the hospital and treated for an illness, I completed several 'opportunities' and that is just in 24 sim hours! Now take those events, add in TS4 graphics and hilariousness of TS1 and 2 (dance cages, parties, burglars, etc) and we have the newest (and possibly best) iteration of the whole franchise.
    I want so badly for that to happen and yet am so skeptical that the focus is being put on areas outside of the original fundamentals.
    Does this make sense to anyone else?
    Makes perfect sense. TS5 should = the best of TS1,2, 3, & 4. Sims should be a good, solid, fun to play game - not a sociological experiment.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited February 2023
    I don’t understand why we have to keep starting from scratch with every Sims iteration. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

I haven’t bought TS4 Seasons, as I did this for both 2 and 3.

I have tried to steer clear to repeating packs… except Cats and Dogs! 😂🤦🏼‍♂️
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    Easy. More profits for EA. Instead of having the base game fully loaded with all the elements time has shown that most simmers want, they are parceled out as separate buyable items. Another factor might be that it is simpler and faster to boot a bare bones game out the door than a loaded one. Gamers that want more will simply have to buy more. Been a profitable strategy for 4 versions now and not likely to change.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited February 2023
    One thought I had was when expansions become available, will this affect multiplayer mode? Can you still interact with people if you don’t buy a pack?

If someone has a pack, you don’t have will you see the stuff on their side when interacting? Or will there be placeholder items? A notice to say you might see missing stuff or you need that pack before joining?

Will Seasons matter during multiplayer mode or if you don’t have it, the group can opt to disable it or not?

How will mobile devices be able to handle all the options?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤷🏼‍♂️
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    One thought I had was when expansions become available, will this affect multiplayer mode? Can you still interact with people if you don’t buy a pack?

If someone has a pack, you don’t have will you see the stuff on their side when interacting? Or will there be placeholder items? A notice to say you might see missing stuff or you need that pack before joining?

Will Seasons matter during multiplayer mode or if you don’t have it, the group can opt to disable it or not?

How will mobile devices be able to handle all the options?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Game versions, probably - just like other MMOs and games with multiplayer options.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I don’t understand why we have to keep starting from scratch with every Sims iteration. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

It's because games become old and obsolete.The sims 4 has almost a ten-year life span. Getting a sequel makes sense.
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member

It's because games become old and obsolete.The sims 4 has almost a ten-year life span. Getting a sequel makes sense.

I wouldn't mind a new iteration if the base game wasn't so bare bones. There are several things from expansions and stuff packs that should be base game at this point.

Seasons for one. Generations/parenthood/high school teen/ all the content that fleshed out each lifestate should be base game. Laundry should be included, too.

There's probably some that I'm missing, but starting over from scratch with a game series where getting the "full experience" costs you hundreds of dollars isn't appealing.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member
    edited February 2023

I wouldn't mind a new iteration if the base game wasn't so bare bones. There are several things from expansions and stuff packs that should be base game at this point.

Seasons for one. Generations/parenthood/high school teen/ all the content that fleshed out each lifestate should be base game. Laundry should be included, too.

There's probably some that I'm missing, but starting over from scratch with a game series where getting the "full experience" costs you hundreds of dollars isn't appealing.

yeah pillow turning is not going to make me start over :lol:

I feel like the issue with new iterations for long time players who have been around since ts1 for example

will always be that we feel the lack of stuff we already had in previous iterations when starting with just the base game

but also its not exciting to see same packs same gameplay for fifth time and having to pay for it -again like where is the new fun tho

also if anything is any less fun than in previous iterations it will be immediately noted because the themes are pretty much the same

I feel like for me to really be interested starting over at this point it'd have to be pretty dang different gameplay

like something we could never do in ts1-4 and would require the new iteration
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I feel like for me to really be interested starting over at this point it'd have to be pretty dang different gameplay

like something we could never do in ts1-4 and would require the new iteration

Yeah this exactly @Simmingal

Like, if it's same gameplay just with better graphics and multiplayer option, I probably wouldn't buy it.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    I really have no idea about the future or direction of Project Rene, given the structural change of the team. Who is leading the game, and when will we have our next BTS Summit?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top